WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Great day today! Grocery store shopping, walking for 2 hrs (slow pace) up and down ALL the isles. Came home and rearranged my kitchen! Received 6 mason jars with lids to put stuff in, leftovers etc. Those lids are ok if I use them, putting them in really hot water for a moment right? They are new, but with the seal part, I just don't want to breed bacteria.

Becca
    Oregon

Jars and rings are ok to use over; but, you definitely need to get new lids with the seals. They really need to be full to the top (where the rings would be); putting them down in the hot boiling water, tight to feel; when I am canning figs; I will rub my finger over the lid; and about 5 - 15 minutes later you should hear then 'ping'. That is when you need to go back and make sure the lid is flat, not punchy; then tighten the ring a little more. Occasionally, they won't seal; and, then you would need to start over. I remember one year canning figs and giving my neighbor a jar; when I opened our first jar, there was mold on the top. Embarrassed I called and told them what had happened. He laughed and said, "it's obvious that you are not a 'country girl' - we just scrape off the top, they're good." MMmmmm, not me, if it is growing "Penicillin" ... I'm not eating it. Make sure that you wash jars, lids, and rings good before putting stuff in them, too. I can figs and jelly; not so sure I want to try much else (yet); but, I am getting there. Made some 'hot pepper jelly' and cooked some pears (they were yummy) and we have several trees; but, peeling 5 gallons of pears, is not my idea of fun! I'm not sure that I did the hot pepper jelly correctly; turned out to be thick like preserves or a sauce - thick like salsa; and for all the work, only made 3 quarts. I think I should have added water and the sure gel into it before I canned them. It wasn't like 'jelly'. But, it was good. I bought every kind of 'hot' pepper I could buy ... red peppers to some 'really' hot peppers. Had to make sure I did not touch my face around my eyes without washing hands really good; even then, eyes watered.

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Re, thanks for sharing the pictures. What a difference!!! And what a beautiful lady you are.

Kate, welcome. This is a supportive and informative group of ladies. I can’t imagine taking this journey without them. Come often and let us know what’s going on in your life.

Allie, so glad you are at the beach. Have a marvelous weekend. You deserve and need it. island-smiley-emoticon.gif

Barbie, you are going to be walking and dancing in style with your new shoes.

Lisa, enjoy your manual labor with DH. Good going on the weight!

KarenE, so glad your hip replacement was a success. I’m with you in that I care what my legs (and the rest of me) look like but would rather be this weight or less and have the wrinkled, loose skin. At my age it’s not like even the old guys are looking at me. LOL And I feel so much better, am in way less pain and can move so much better. Life is good!
    NYKaren, Oh, no, don’t make me get out my boot for you!!! *kitten*-kicking.gif You know better so just listen to yourself and do what’s right. I know you like being fit, so I’ll just stand back for a moment and give you a chance. Take this: (((((Hugs))))) and remember we are all with you.

Summer, it has been so hot and humid here that even when we get afternoon thunderstorms it doesn’t cool off any. rainy-cloud-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kate, good for you on under growing your clothes. I’m having problems with my sewing machine or I might be taking some in. It sure beats buying new too often.

Heather, lots of my line dancing group wear tennis shoes of some description. A few of them put these bands around them so they will slide a little and some of us wear street shoes with leather soles. So I guess it’s just what you are comfy in. I wore tennis shoes the first time I went line dancing and I kept feeling like I was tripping over my feet. *Not too sure it was the shoes* but I never wore them again.

Kay, you look wonderful. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Keep it up, my friend. We will get there one of these days. I have 25 or 30 left to go.

Carrie, losing slowly is the best way to keep it off as far as I’m concerned. My DH likes desserts too so I try to get him to buy the things I don’t like as much; i.e. anything with pineapple or coconut, butterscotch, strawberry ice-cream, etc. He also likes store-bought cookies which aren’t too much of a temptation to me. Just don’t put any homemade cookies in the house!!!! And he is forbidden from brining cinnamon rolls into the house. Good for you on grabbing the fruit. Keep up the good work.

Heather, okay, I give up. How do you know where the Pokemon are and how do they get there? This is the funniest thing I have ever heard of. One of the racetracks here opened up for a day to chase Pokemon(s) and they were charging people $10 each (or per car?) to come in. I mean, really????? I love the pictures!!! I hate that they aren’t feeding Bea…..she is wilting away to nothing. What a doll!!!

Betty, I’m rooting for you on that retirement thing. It’s the bomb! My DH says he waits until late in the day to do yard work, when it’s cooler, but the truth is here the temperature keeps going up until about 5:00 or 6:00 and takes a long time to start cooling off. Yesterday he finally mowed in the morning early and it was so much cooler, even if the grass was still a touch damp. Lol

Heather, I didn’t know how you felt about Lenora calling you a WINO? LOLdrinking-wine-smiley-emoticon.gif

Larissa, I do hope you and your new trainer get along great. Just go easy on the kid.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I went to my training seminar today from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. It was informative and interesting but sitting in “those chairs” that long was not so much fun. A couple of times I did stand up and just move to the back wall for a bit. Plus we could get up for a drink refill or potty break any time we needed. I think DH and I might go to the beach for a few hours tomorrow. We’ll go early before it gets too hot and it’s always cooler on the beach.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Beth, you will make it. Did you see the dorm rooms when you toured the college Or did you tour the college. If you called the college, they might give you ideas. When my girls went to college, they were put in email contact with their room mate and they worked out what they wanted. But they were girls, That's a big difference. You'll do fine.

I am sitting here putting my feet up watching an old Hallmark movie off my DVR. I'm not sure if I am ready for Charlie to come home tomorrow. He said he is having some difficulty breathing although his O2 level is great, lungs clear and walking much faster than he had been before. If he had to go back for any purpose it would devastate him. Plus I am still so tired. Since he is possibly going home, I could go to church. And I so want to. I wouldn't want to sing in the choir although that would be so wonderful. I have no idea what we are singing tomorrow. It would be wonderful just to sit there and soak up the atmosphere and listen to the singing. That was what made me love the church so much. It is a small church and small choir but that's OK.

Joyce, Indiana
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Dropping in for a minute. Busy day getting down to the wire with the packing. Movers come on Thursday! We have 3 showings scheduled for tomorrow. Hopefully one will turn into an offer we can accept. Hubs not happy about leaving the area with nothing signed. Finishing up the vacuuming and then a shower and into bed!

Hugs to y'all!

Cheri
    T minus 5 days till we hit the road from oHIo to Texas
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Good evening, all. Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. 52 Brit living in Georgia. Been on MFP for about 5 years now. Lost lots of inches (108") and a lot of weight a few years back. Life happens, as it does, two house moves, husband job move, and you know what happens, you come last. Well, I am spending more time now on MFP. I started my recommitment to my health on 2nd June, and lost just under 18lbs so far. Not bad for 8 weeks. I still have a LONG way to go, but determined to do this. Wishing you all the very best on your journey to a healthier happier you. <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    Beth (((Hugs)))

Heather put a smile on my face.

Helped out with a program on bees today. I learned there is more than the honey bee and bumble bee. The teacher did a very nice program.

:heart: Margaret
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

“Night night all.... I am off to listen to the angels moving furniture in heaven.

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan” I love this!!! I have heard that it is god bowling… but moving furniture!!!

Re – what a change!!! You look so good.

Allie – Ok DB gets a pass!!! And I second Barbie ! your life should be peace and some spoiling back and forth…

Karen E - your comment to Barbie about Washington made me smile and reminded me of something that happen 10+ years ago. Back then I worked for our local paper, (I’m in the San Francisco area) and the receptionist reported to me, for weeks she got phone calls complaining that the weather for Dublin, CA in our paper was always wrong… she would forward the calls to the editor and they did nothing (they were not involved like Lisa) So finally I started looking into it and sure enough the Dublin, CA weather was totally weird… Well the clerk that put that listing in the paper had been pulling it from on line and did not know there was a Dublin, CA so had for 6 months been putting in Dublin, Irelands weather report.

Meg – ok this is going to sound totally weird – but could you make Benny a pill smoothie – peanut butter yogurt and all those pills in a blender – and pour it in a bowl….

Its been a work day here, our public schools start in mid august and some of my bigger clients are the booster clubs from the school programs and I embroider items for the booster clubs to sell at registration, so it is very busy! Hoodies, beanies, headbands, polos, racerback tees, towels, and more…

I thought I’d share a picture from the garden, I have issues with Jack (the Jack Rabbit) and birds, I am basically gardening at the edge of a wildlife preserve so there are a lot of critters, a boy scout troop made us row covers a few years ago, and they are wearing so I decided to repair them, I have only done a few and we have about 30! So I’ll have a job to keep me busy in the quiet times.

ox1fqc6ahi68.jpg

Kettle/dumb bell swing:
    3x10x1

July Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with Ben, visiting with mom, Cajun food with a friend, got the job!, watched the sunrise every morning, planning a camping trip with a friend.
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday – like to hit 160 miles for the month.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Did 45 minutes of Ellen Barrett Slim Sculpt DVD. Boy, does that DVD use a lot of upper body! The plan for tomorrow is to do some more of the Windsor Pilates Basic DVD

DJ - what sort of training class are you going to go to at the Moose?

I need to got o the farmer's market tomorrow to look for more purple potatoes for me and I want to look for some beets. Then Jess has an appt. with the vet at 11. Poor Vince will have to get up early to take me! Well, this is the last time he'll have to take me. Normally, I'd go early and be back in time for the vet.

Re - awesome pictures. It feels good to look back and see how far we've come, doesn't it?

Lisa - so glad the iron is working for you. I'm sure your articles are going to be wonderful! We're supposed to have a speaker for the Newcomers in two months talking about expanding one of the highways. I predict that is going to be a well attended meeting.

Carol - yes, I do love to cook. I like to try new things and especially to try to make something healthier. But I don't like wasting food so I try to make things that Vince'll eat (and he's pickey) or that I can give away and get out of the house so I'm not tempted.

About the sneakers: I've been wearing Avia. My understanding is that they were the widest. Are any of the others that you all mentioned you wear? Sometimes it's really hard to find Avia sneakers

Katie - WOW is all I can say. Between you and Re, what can I say?

Meg - I'm sorry the pill shooter doesn't work. Boy, I'm surprised that the pills won't fit into it. The tip expands and it looked to me like it could accommodate any size pill. Poor Benny and you

Jess came here last night. I love seeing her. In a way, tho, it's sad. She's gained weight again. And I know that it's going to be hard to get it off. She's one of those ones who wears skin tight shirts. But I also know that there's nothing I can do.

Lenora - got your check for the postage for the DVD's. thank you very much. Hope you enjoy them!

Made a "Napkin" to use in the basket at the Newcomers meetings where we put the plastic forks. Don't know how this material is going to work. Will just have to see at the next general meeting. Went to the vet with Jess. She's supposed to make a presentation at this conference here in Charlotte at the end of October. We're going to meet her and Colby for dinner one night. I must say, I am proud of her. Went to the farmer's market. Unfortunately, the guy with the purple potatoes didn't have any. No one has beets yet and I realized that this year I haven't gotten any red okra either. There's a new gal there and she sells flowers and tomatoes (don't ask me to explain this). Anyway, in the reminder email they said that she's looking for vases or really something to put flowers in that her Girl Scouts take to a nursing home. So I had 2 Mason jars that I didn't use so I gave them to her. As long as somebody can get a little bit of enjoyment out of them, then it's worth it. I also asked her if she could use the container that the Incredible edibles that Jess sent me came in even tho it wasn't glass, she said she could. She said that they also can use plastic, as the nurses in the Altzheimer's units don't want glass (which I can understand). So I have some of the small mayo jars that I'll give her next week. I don't use them.

We're supposed to skype with Denise at 3 today. Tonight I go to church to be a Eucharistic Minister. As we were going to the farmer's market this morning I said to Vince "just think this is the last time you'll have to do this." This is the last time he'll have to take me to church, too. <singing> Oh happy Day, oh happy day......

Don't know why but I had this incredible craving for everything and anything. I had another one of the chocolate bran muffins hoping that would fill me up. Nope, not today. But then I had some of the full fat Sargento bites and now I'm not constantly craving something.

Kate - welcome.

kathanthus - welcome

went to church and then grilled hamburgers for dinner.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Good morning all from a rather cloudy day in UK. Still in bed writing this, will get up and do 15 mins weight training and 30 mins cardio. Sunday DH and I go into town, few drinks, listen to a few singers in the bars then home for supper. Going to visit my DD and family on Tuesday to help with packing for house move. My DGD has been diagnosed with EDS, so sad as she is only 15 and spends a lot of time in pain. I feel really helpless and can only pray for her ( even though not sure anyone listens ) Anyway enough sad stuff have a great day everybody
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Morning lovely ladies-
    Raining here in N.H.Sean and I and the pups took a ride up the coast ,even on dark and cloudy days love the salt air and the smells and the view...dad still sleeping leaving around 11 ,drop dad off get the boys home and walked then to grocery shop and laundry...full week this week....
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Oh Beth. My DD leaves in about 20 days for college. DH is actually having a hard time as well, won't commit to a larger car rental for the long trek. She has her cello to bring which takes up a lot of room in a civic so DH wants to take 2 cars instead of renting a larger vehicle. Jeez I don't want to drive alone!!! I have to just take over and rent something I just don't want to be alone
    For 6 hours after driving my one and only.....
    And let's face it, it isn't really about what they bring or dont bring it is that they are going off on their own, ready or not, they are gonna face their mistakes by themselves, figure things out by themselves, yikes. This is gonna be hard :s:'( we will have to support each other and keep good care of ourselves. Others have told me the first semester is the hardest after that they settle in and are happy.

I was thinking of writing some little notes for her to find among her things like little inspirational sayings, pictures or chocolates or $$$ so she can feel supported. Lately she has retreated to her room, not going out with friends
    I think she is as nervous as I am!!! Just wants this new phase of her life to begin.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF BETH, you are not alone.
    NYKAREN

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @spikeyhair which type of EDS?
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    spikeyhair - I'm sorry about the diagnosis of EDS for your granddaughter. Look up Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, for those who are wondering. Thinking about you.

The iron genuinely is helping me, thanks to those who thought about it. I feel a lot better than I did just a week ago.

Did I mention my reporter and I have begun a cartoon as well? It's very locally focused--so for the one linked here, you would have to know that the town of Fort Stockton boasts what is billed as the "World's Largest Roadrunner," locally known as "Paisano Pete." This particular panel cartoon is just a riff on the Pokemon Go craze. He's the illustrator, and I feed him a concept once a week. The cartoon's titled "Texas Toast," and the two recurring characters are a boy and girl toast slices. We're shooting for gentle humor... :)

So, my results against my goals, I ended the month this morning with a weight of 177, three pounds down from my weight of 180 at the end of June... My goal is one pound per month, and I started at 186 in January, so at the end of July, would have been quite happy with 179. A couple more pounds than that is a happy bonus.

Since today's the last day of July, for our newbies, there will be new thread for the month of August, begun by our lovely and talented Barbie. She will link to it directly from this thread, and then we start all over again.

My goal for August will be the same: "Be lighter." Removing the focus from the intense concentration on the numbers has been of enormous benefit for me (thank you, Heather for mentioning that). Helps me make better choices, over and over again throughout the month. I'm figuring I have another three years or so before it changes to "Stay lighter." :smiley:

Love y'all... happy Sunday to all.
    Lisa in West Texas
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    :)MIchele, there are two reasons that I buy New Balance shoes, first because they are comfortable and second because they come in a wide width....which reminds me of another thing my mother said to me when I was a child..."If you keep going barefoot, your feet will get as wide as canal boats."....so now I never go barefoot and my feet are wide.

:)Lisa, thank you for the kind words....I'm so glad to hear that the iron is helping you feel better.

:)Alison, you time in NH sounds like the life you should have every day

:'(spikeyhair, so sorry to hear of your granddaughters diagnosis

<3 Barbie

Resolutions for July (with end of the month comments)
    *get Jake and me home safely from the hospital in Seattle (successful)
    *be a non-grumpy caregiver to Jake during his recovery (successful)
    *increase daily meditation time by 5 seconds a day (yes, over 12 minutes now)
    *continue sorting and discarding photos (slowed down a bit during hubby's recovery)
    *weight training twice a week (did a few times, but stopped for awhile due to leg pain)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Barbie- Oh I wish...I try and get real estate books and drool and dream of a little cottage by the sea.. unlikely to happen..but it's nice to dream :*
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! It has been kind of an overcast weekend, which has been good for me, because it has forced me to stay inside and get paperwork done. Not my favorite thing. I also have spent four hours online completing a driver's skills test. I don't know how it is in other states/countries, but in Michigan, if you get a ticket for a minor infraction (like speeding) >:) you are allowed to take an online course refresher and keep the points off your insurance. I still had to pay the ticket ($120) and had to pay another $40 for the course, but it's worth it to keep my insurance down. But MAN! four hours on the computer taking a test! Like I said, I am glad the weather has been rainy, because I would be crying in my coffee if I was missing the sunshine! Skipped the Beach Boys Tribute Band last night so I could finish the test :'( Oh well, did my crime, did my time.
    Spikyhair-So sorry to hear about your DGD diagnosis! Good thoughts and prayers for comfort coming her way!
    Heather- ALways love to see the pics of your kids/grands. Isn't it funny to watch even the "big kids" go after the Pokemon? Although Bea is stunning as usual, the pic of your OGD has captured my heart! On the swing with her hair flying...So sweet!
    Beth- Oh, how I understand what you are going through right now! I remember those days. You have to do what you need to do to get through the next few days. Getting them off to college when the summer seems to race by at the speed of light...it is a task for a superwoman. Put your mind at ease. I am sure you know, deep down, that he will be fine. It is amazing how resourceful our kids can be when we are not around. Love and hugs to you, friend! :*
    Barbie, Joyce, Becca and all others caring for loved ones this past month- You all are an inspiration to me with everything you are having to take care of and still sticking so closely to your monthly goals/resolutions! A big round of applause!
    Charleen- Where are you friend? I hope you are okay! I miss your posts.
    NYKaren- I think renting something big enough to get her things and the three of you there is a better idea. Six hour drive gives you more family time. I think the notes among her things is a great idea! When my daughter left for her year of study abroad in France, I made a calendar for her. I just bought a couple packages of those bright colored index cards and wrote the month and date at the top of each one, hole punched each corner and used a ribbon wrapped circular ring to keep them together. I asked her friends, coworkers, relatives to send me their favorite quotes, memories, wishes, song lyrics, etc. and I wrote one on each date, so that as she started each day, she could have a special something from people she loved. All of the collecting was done online and it all went together in just a week. My daughter still has the calendar and enjoys thumbing through it.
    Allie- I am SO glad you are enjoying your time with your brother and dad! And lobster in New England sounds heavenly!
    Well, I guess I better get busy and finish the rest of my paperwork, just in case the sun decides to come out and play later!
    xoxoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)