8/3: 2.7 miles running + 2 miles walking
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree thank you!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Work obligations and moving are killing me! I have yet to get a run in this month. I was planning on going today over lunch, but I ended up with a meeting from 10:30 - 12:00 and now its really damn hot and I have too much crap to get done. I really need to work some overtime to catch up, but I just can't do that with being in the middle of moving...

I'm still shuffling between houses with the move (go to the old house after work and load my truck down--plus care for the dogs and chickens that are still living at the old place--, go to work in the morning, then to the new house in the evening to unload, repeat) and working on building fences, so no time to run in the morning or the evenings.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Some years we get NO snow. Other years we get a big 12 inch snowfall. But most years we just get some random 1-3 inch snows and that's all it takes to wind up with 10 snow days!

@Stoshew71 Love the pic! I'm anti-photo myself so pics of me as a kid were few and far between.

@shanaber Listening to your body is always the right choice :)

@MNLittleFinn I'm pretty sure everybody down here decided it's just so stinkin' hot we might at well send the kids to sit in the air conditioning in school for August!

@kristinegift I get to wear jeans to work and athletic shoes :) A long time ago I used to dress up (because the lady before me did before she retired) and then over time I got more and more casual and nobody said anything! LOL

@ChelzFit Gotta start somewhere! And it's really better to start out "slow". Being able to run 3+ miles is an accomplishment no matter the pace :)

@ceciliaslater Sounds like you have enough to do right now besides adding running into the mix. You'll be back at it soon!

@skippygirlsmom Love the pic :)
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree 10 snow days due to 1-3 inches... wow... lol
  • dowelahmed
    dowelahmed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Another 7 miles from a mixture of my C25K program and some walking outside on what was quite a nice day:

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    BetterMike wrote: »
    8/2 - 3 Miles.
    8/3 - 4 Miles - Supposed to be HM race pace. Having not yet run one, I am guessing/hoping that is about 9 min miles. Todays run was 8:46 per mile probably because it was only 79 degrees. Any issues running it a bit faster some weeks?

Goal - 7 of 75.

Depends on what you mean. There is so much I could talk about as far as pace of runs are concerned that i am not even sure where to start. Actually i do know where to start.

Most of our running should be what is known as "conversational" pace or EASY paced running. According to Matt Fitzgerald's book 80/20 running, 80% should be within this pace range. A couple of my personal favorite videos on E running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAQ73OJdwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRYYhweiLQ

After building our base you can start adding in small doses faster paced running such as tempos, strides, fartleks, pickups, repeats, intervals, ect. I'm not sure where your fitness level is at right now, so it's hard to give advice.

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    MandaNar wrote: »
    Hey everyone!! Super super new here. Here as in running and never in this challenge before.

I'm currently doing a run/walk to build up stamina. I live on very hilly back roads. About 2-3 miles per "run".

SO with all that......is 50 for the month seem really low? That's 3-4 times a week.
    Did I mention I have 5 kids? LOL I'm trying to fit this in where I can. Ah!!

Welcome!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Sadly, we're moving about 90 miles from the old house to the new and are still doing it this way. We debated the moving truck idea, but decided this was more practical because we have to build fences and chicken coops before we can get the animals all moved--which means I'd be going back and forth anyway. Gary is staying at the new house throughout the week and working on fences in the evenings. I'm helping on the nights that I'm there and on the weekend. Hoping to be totally out of the old house next week. Only have to finish one dog fence and build a chicken coop to make that happen (we aren't taking existing coops with us because they're heavy and awkward to move, plus we have a better design plan in mind).

At least my work is in between the two houses, so I'm able to do the shuffling pretty easily!

@greenolivetree - I'm with you on the snow days thing. I grew up in northern Missouri, which is far enough north that snow is a pretty regular thing and people could handle it. My first snow in Oklahoma was a rude awakening. For one, the state does not keep well stocked on the necessary supplies to clear the roads, and they tend to be more reactive than proactive, so roads tend to be in horrible shape by the time they get out to tend to them. Plus there's the fact that the snow plows ALWAYS take giant chunks out the of road surface while plowing...

And on to the regular drivers...you constantly see people out romping down on the gas and brakes and causing themselves to wreck. Or cutting people off like they normally do, not taking into account the increased stopping distance. Seriously, snow/ice driving is not that hard! Leave lots of space between you and others and do everything gradually.

Last year, I made the mistake of driving my husband's Pontiac G8 GT to work on a day when it was supposed to be cold but clear. It ended up snowing and I had to make the 40 mile drive home in that car (rear wheel drive, 450HP). It honestly would have been fine, if it weren't for people constantly pulling out in front of me, not realizing that I was going slow and leaving a 1/4 mile between me and the next car because I was driving on a solid sheet of ice and couldn't stop. Oh, and the whole having to shift into neutral at every stop light so that I didn't slide sideways into the intersection (car power overpowering the brakes due to ice). But I STILL made it home safe. LOL.
  • Stoshew71
    edited August 2016
    Options
    MandaNar wrote: »
    Hey everyone!! Super super new here. Here as in running and never in this challenge before.

I'm currently doing a run/walk to build up stamina. I live on very hilly back roads. About 2-3 miles per "run".

SO with all that......is 50 for the month seem really low? That's 3-4 times a week.
    Did I mention I have 5 kids? LOL I'm trying to fit this in where I can. Ah!!

Welcome to our group @MandaNar It's a good start. if you find out later on 50 is too low or too high, you can always change it.

Declaring a number ahead of time is just a motivator to get you started and something to shoot for.
    But the main thing is to just get out there and do something consistently, whether it's 1 mile or 10 miles.

Declaring a number each month and seeing how close you get is also a good way to track your progress.
    There are many in this group that have been doing this for a while now, and it's always great to see how everyone improves each month.

• MandaNar
    MandaNar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Thank you!!

@Stoshew thank you as well!
    That is a great point! I haven't ran since probably elementary school. And this is actually beginning to be enjoyable again.
  • MandaNar
    MandaNar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    With that I have gone 2 miles so far. (8/1)
    I had to finish up my youngest's birthday stuff last night.

Thanks for a great way to stay motivated!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    02/08 4 miles
    03/08 4 miles took a different route as it was so stormy

I can relate to the what @Stoshew71 was said about running to lose weight and high protein/low carb diet cos that's what I'm trying to do at the moment and it does make me feel very sluggish and dull but at least the weight is starting to drop.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wPpgsrC/]
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I'm working towards running my first half marathon in early October and using the Hal Higdon novice 2 plan. He calls this week for the Wednesday run to be 4 mile at HM pace. So my issue is I'm not exactly sure what that pace should be though I'm shooting for 2 hour so 9:09 pace. No good reason other than it sounds like a good goal. Anyway today I felt good and ran a bit faster but not like crazy fast and I figured the idea is that it's my 20% of the 80/20 hard run.
  • Stoshew71
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BetterMike wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I'm working towards running my first half marathon in early October and using the Hal Higdon novice 2 plan. He calls this week for the Wednesday run to be 4 mile at HM pace. So my issue is I'm not exactly sure what that pace should be though I'm shooting for 2 hour so 9:09 pace. No good reason other than it sounds like a good goal. Anyway today I felt good and ran a bit faster but not like crazy fast and I figured the idea is that it's my 20% of the 80/20 hard run.

Do you have any recent 10K PRs? or any recent race results? What I do is plug in a recent race time into one of the race predictor apps and see what it gives me for a different distance. McMillian's is the one I use the most. That will tell you what your current fitness level is at (current as of when the race you are using). Then you figure some small improvements from that depending on when was your last race to when your HM is.

The other question I would have is, is Hal asking you to run 4 miles at goal HM pace or current HM pace?

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    OMG WHY ARE THERE SO MANY POSTS

I did 4 miles today.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater ugh that is a million times worse! I hope you are all moved in soon!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    OMG WHY ARE THERE SO MANY POSTS

I did 4 miles today.

exercise.png

Just think in terms of pages, not posts :p