Criticised by a gym professional...

Options

Replies

• kerrydensmore
    kerrydensmore Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    why would your MIL tell you that? she's actually the first person who needs to be taught manners

I'm not sure. She been negative about the whole gym thing to begin with and when he said that she thot it was so funny he said that.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why would your MIL tell you that? she's actually the first person who needs to be taught manners

I'm not sure. She been negative about the whole gym thing to begin with and when he said that she thot it was so funny he said that.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that :( That was mean of her to tell you and mean of him to say it.
  • skennelly1963
    skennelly1963 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It could have just been one of those things that they say about newbies at the gym, and it was mentioned because he knows you.
    You struggle, you try... you groan, gripe and go back for more...

and at first It is comical, I'm sorry, but when I first started going to the gym.. I know people could have been snickering giggling and full out belly laughing...but, I was too.. cause I had no flippin' clue what I was doing....

One time. I got on this one machine, set the stuff to what I thought it was supposed to be on and started it
    and the thing took off...
    My arms were going this and that way....
    my legs were going that and this way!
    I was seriously hanging on for dear life..
    I looked like a damn cartoon character!!!
    It was all I could do to stop the damn thing without killing myself, I was laughing so hard I had to sit down to catch my breath before I could do anything else.
    But the important thing is.. I went back!

I seriously don't give a crap what the people at the gym think. :)

Hang in there!!!!
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all four pages of responses. But I'm reminded of some Taylor Swift wisdom: "Baby, I could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me." Take those bricks and build your castle, OP!

You got this. ;)
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Screw them and ignore it. Don't let them win and keep at it
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    He sounds like nobody to me. Put him on ignore and go about your business.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »

He lives about 30 mins from me.

But I'm suckin it up and gonna keep my head up and keep on track.

Thanks everyone

Oh. Well then...

Yup. We knew @chunky_pinup.

Wait. What just happened? :lol:

ovdkpgctmc38.jpg

Lol you crack me up.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    There's people like that in almost every gym. Some are vocal jerks about it, others like to stare point and laugh. I don't know how this information got back to you but I'd check sources for accuracy. You mentioned he trains people there? If he is an employee of the gym, I'd speak to management about it AFTER a source/accuracy check.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    He was probably speaking to one of his "bro's" . Like everyone said go for yourself and no one else. I've been steady gym-img for 11 years. I work out by myself and only had a partner maybe 4 months at one point but all I did was hurt myself because I tried to keep up with his younger anabolic altered state . Be the best you that you can be. Haters are everywhere . Be strong and carry on.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    I have noticed some bigger people working out in my gym. I'm a people watcher. When I see those folks I think to myself what a courageous person who is taking charge of their life & making positive changes. I admire people who act in their own best interests.

This!!!

Tell your husband and let him sort it out with the guy.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Don't listen to gossip and don't assume the story is true unless you saw/heard it happen. I question the motivation of the person who passed along this story to you. In what way did s/he think it was going to help you?

TLDR the rest of the thread but...

100% this. ^^^ Without having actually heard it, it's hard to say what he actually said. His statement could have been taken out of context, or he could have been talking about someone completely different for a different reason. You could confront this person tactfully about it, or, even better, ignore it, as it says more about others and their motivations than it does about you.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Katleskin wrote: »
    As the comment came 2nd hand I'd just let it go - too many 'he said'/'she said's for me to even be bothered with. Yes, I'd probably have been hurt if such a comment filtered back to me too but, you know what, he doesn't have to live your life so why on earth would you let his opinions dictate how you live it?

Life is too short and potentially too amazing to waste it worrying about what other people (who you barely know) think about you. Honestly, forget about it.

As for the 'struggling' thing well, who *doesn't* struggle when they try something new? If he enjoys watching you struggle, lets hope he enjoys seeing you succeed because that's exactly what you're going to do! Turn up, kick *kitten*, repeat!

If you're gonna listen to anyone, listen to Jake.

uzsk5a3xl2hk.png

Love this!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I'd report it to the gym. If he is doing this to you, what's he saying about other patrons?

Report what? A third hand story rumor of a conversation he had in private? The person that told the story to the OP is the one to blame.

Either way, move on. Everyone struggles starting out. It's no big deal.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Took a while but there it is

She was being a **kitten**

Yeah. I'm now leaning further to the side of, "trainer never actually said anything at all." Or, if he did, it was woefully misconstrued.

At best: 4875832936_d50a924d85.jpg
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    kerrydensmore just remember you are going there for YOU.. He sounds like a total *kitten*. I know it hurt you, been there myself. I have been going to the gym since March and when I first started I didn't know how to use the equipment. Staff was too busy to show me. Guess what? One day I decided to use the treadmill. I was trying to adjust the speed and somehow I went from 3 mph to 20. I fell and my whole body traveled down the whole treadmill. I got all cut up. I heard a few giggle. At first I was so humiliated I thought I would never go back but I have been going often. I heard someone refer to me as the "Treadgirl." lol lol I am going there for ME and pretty much don't care what anyone thinks. Hang in there and if you ever need to talk, message me.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

So.. she's trying to ruin your progress b/c she's jealous that your doing something healthy for yourself. That's what I got from this.

All the more reason to take what she said with an entire case of salt. Chances are he never said this or if he did, she misconstrued it, turned it into something negative to try and put you down and make you stop trying to better yourself.

OP, keep going to the gym. Keep logging your calories, and ignore anything that is related to YOUR health that comes out of that woman's mouth.
  • jhnbwh
    jhnbwh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    SHOW HIM.....KEEP PUSHING KEEP GOING YOUR DOING THIS FOR YOU.... PEOPLE ARE GOING CRITICIZE NO MATTER WHAT .....TUNE EM OUT ......GET UP GET MOVING .......YOU GOT THIS......
  • lostboycz54
    lostboycz54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly here's the deal, I used to be a fit person, then life, a bad marriage, depression got a hold of me and I gained over 100 lbs. So, after my divorce and life got back on track I decided to start getting cardio by riding my bike. I am a pretty big guy to begin with but I was embarrassed to ride my bike in the daytime. So I would schedule my sessions after it got dark. I bought head lights and safety lights so I wouldn't be killed and I did this for about 3 weeks. I started working on my diet and started to see some results. I came to the realization that doing what I was doing was already hard enough without me making it harder by being embarrassed of what people would think of what I looked like. So I started to ride during the day. I got to tell you how liberating It feels to not care of how people perceive me. I now put all that bad energy into doing more workouts and my progress is getting better. I'm 20% closer to my goal. I'm sorry there are a lot of jerks out there but If you give up caring about what they are saying or doing and put that effort into yourself. You will make your goal a lot faster and will ultimately have the last laugh. As far as some of the suggestions on "dealing" with that *kitten*, I suggest work harder, longer and use that situation to motivate yourself. Life is wayyyy to short to put anymore useless energy in dealing with people like that. Anyways good luck on making your life better, I wish you great success.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

So.. she's trying to ruin your progress b/c she's jealous that your doing something healthy for yourself. That's what I got from this.

All the more reason to take what she said with an entire case of salt. Chances are he never said this or if he did, she misconstrued it, turned it into something negative to try and put you down and make you stop trying to better yourself.

OP, keep going to the gym. Keep logging your calories, and ignore anything that is related to YOUR health that comes out of that woman's mouth.

This.