Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I've been working Wendler's 5/3/1 since June 8th. Prior to that, I was working Stronglifts from November to June. I've tried to give Wendler's a serious chance, but I am really missing squatting at every session. I prefer programs that have a phone app so I can track my progress at the gym. I also prefer that the compound lifts are the major focus of the program. I also have a goal of being able to do 5 pull-ups from dead hang, which means I need accessory work on top of my compound lifts. I'm looking for an intermediate program.

I found Squat Every Day on bodybuilding.com, but can't find an app for it. Does anyone know of any program that would fit my preferences?

Look at PH3, it might work.

Thanks. I'll look into that one.

ETA: I looked into it, and found it's an advanced workout that suggests you have a Wilkes score of at least 300. My current Wilkes is 287.77 - I'm close! ;) I also cannot find an app. It does have a lot of the features I am looking for, though. I'm not sure I'm quite ready for an advanced program...
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've just finished my 2nd round of PHUL. I like it but find I am going a few weeks without increasing on my power days (DL and bench, specifically). Suggestions -- should I just keep at it? Is there a program I should progress to?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    I've just finished my 2nd round of PHUL. I like it but find I am going a few weeks without increasing on my power days (DL and bench, specifically). Suggestions -- should I just keep at it? Is there a program I should progress to?

At some point, frequency and/volume will have to change. Whether that occurs through modification of your current program or a new program will mostly be up to you and your goals. The nice thing with PHUL is it's a bit adaptive in that standard, so you can choose between 3 and 4 sets and reps from 3-5. So for power DL and Squat, what are you actually doing? I typically was doing 5 reps x 4 sets When I plateau'd, I would change to 3x4 or even 3x3. Usually, that got me over the hump, but eventually, I had to switch programs.
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I like aworkoutroutine.com's program called Bodybuilding 2.0, it's a push-pull-legs routine...nothing fancy, but effective.

What a great post! Thanks for all the new resources. I found aworkoutroutine.com to be an exceptional resource as well when I really got going. Has anyone else?
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've been working Wendler's 5/3/1 since June 8th. Prior to that, I was working Stronglifts from November to June. I've tried to give Wendler's a serious chance, but I am really missing squatting at every session. I prefer programs that have a phone app so I can track my progress at the gym. I also prefer that the compound lifts are the major focus of the program. I also have a goal of being able to do 5 pull-ups from dead hang, which means I need accessory work on top of my compound lifts. I'm looking for an intermediate program.

I found Squat Every Day on bodybuilding.com, but can't find an app for it. Does anyone know of any program that would fit my preferences?

ETA: I looked into it, and found it's an advanced workout that suggests you have a Wilkes score of at least 300. My current Wilkes is 287.77 - I'm close! ;) I also cannot find an app. It does have a lot of the features I am looking for, though. I'm not sure I'm quite ready for an advanced program...

@quiksylver296 I think you would be fine doing PH3 with your Wilks score. I've seen women on Instagram following PH3 and they're only benching 85 lbs or so for the working sets so their Wilks is much lower than your's.

I'm on week 11 now of my 3rd time through PH3 and I haven't seen strength gains like this since I started lifting following Stronglifts5x5(I tried the Texas Method, many variations of 5/3/1, Smolov and RTS principles in between). Usually with an "advanced" program, you just get a slower rate of progression versus beginner linear progression plans. In 6 months on PH3, I added 80 lbs to my squat 1RM, 50 lbs to my bench 1RM(which hadn't moved in over a year mostly on 5/3/1), and 55 lbs to my deadlift 1RM. I could have added more to my lifts, but I did my 2nd cycle on a cut and dropped 10 lbs in the 13 weeks.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

@quiksylver296 I think you would be fine doing PH3 with your Wilks score. I've seen women on Instagram following PH3 and they're only benching 85 lbs or so for the working sets so their Wilks is much lower than your's.

I'm on week 11 now of my 3rd time through PH3 and I haven't seen strength gains like this since I started lifting following Stronglifts5x5(I tried the Texas Method, many variations of 5/3/1, Smolov and RTS principles in between). Usually with an "advanced" program, you just get a slower rate of progression versus beginner linear progression plans. In 6 months on PH3, I added 80 lbs to my squat 1RM, 50 lbs to my bench 1RM(which hadn't moved in over a year mostly on 5/3/1), and 55 lbs to my deadlift 1RM. I could have added more to my lifts, but I did my 2nd cycle on a cut and dropped 10 lbs in the 13 weeks.

@DeadliftsandDonuts Awesome! Thanks! Did you find an app for PH3 somewhere?
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options

@DeadliftsandDonuts Awesome! Thanks! Did you find an app for PH3 somewhere?

Unfortunately no, I just made a spreadsheet for the program that I print out and take to the gym with me.
  • grapaj
    grapaj Posts: 136 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    So for power DL and Squat, what are you actually doing? I typically was doing 5 reps x 4 sets When I plateau'd, I would change to 3x4 or even 3x3. Usually, that got me over the hump, but eventually, I had to switch programs.

I'm doing 4x5 or 4 on DL, 4x5 on squat and 4x5 on bench. Changing it up for my next round sound like a good plan (DUH to me for not considering that).

I do have a bit of a fear about increasing my bench and failing as I don't have a spotter but I need to get over this.

Thx
  • windycity_ali
    windycity_ali Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bunp
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    I do have a bit of a fear about increasing my bench and failing as I don't have a spotter but I need to get over this.

If you're using a barbell with no spotters or catchers, the best advice i've seen is, not to put collars on. That way, should the worst happen, you can tilt the barbell and the weights will slide off.

It's not ideal but it could save you.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think Bill Starr's 5x5 deserves a mention. Apologies if i've missed it.

http://oldschooltrainer.com/bill-starrs-5-x-5-training/
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Follow up question, @Hornsby. I go to the gym while my son is at football or boxing practice, so I have a bit of time constraint. How long does it take to get through a session of PH3?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The days where you only squat, bench and dead take no time at all - 30 min or less really. The hypertrophic days take a while though cause there is a lot but it's not too bad with only 45 second rests. Hard for me to judge as I add a coupe exercises in that I enjoy. Usually less than an 1.5 hours. I started this plan to decrease the amount I was lifting as I have some other stuff that needs more time dedicated to it so for me it feels pretty fast.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    The days where you only squat, bench and dead take no time at all - 30 min or less really. The hypertrophic days take a while though cause there is a lot but it's not too bad with only 45 second rests. Hard for me to judge as I add a coupe exercises in that I enjoy. Usually less than an 1.5 hours. I started this plan to decrease the amount I was lifting as I have some other stuff that needs more time dedicated to it so for me it feels pretty fast.

Practice is 2 hours on both, so I should be good. Thanks!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    No mention of conjugate or Westside? Or even WSFSB? :(

WSFSB III:
    https://www.defrancostraining.com/westside-for-skinny-*kitten*-part3/

Westside for Fat *kitten* (I'm currently doing something similar)
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/westside-for-fat-*kitten*

Simple version of Westside for novice
    http://www.elitefts.com/education/16-week-conjugate-periodization-program-for-novice-powerlifters/
  • sculli123
    Options
    sculli123 wrote: »

WSFSB III:

http://www.elitefts.com/education/16-week-conjugate-periodization-program-for-novice-powerlifters/

Fixed second link.
  • sculli123
    Options

WSFSB III:

Fixed second link.

I guess it doesn't like the wording of the link because it's not politically correct enough for MFP??

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

WSFSB III:

Fixed second link.

I guess it doesn't like the wording of the link because it's not politically correct enough for MFP??

Unfortunately, its a censored word.
  • sculli123
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    [

Unfortunately, its a censored word.

Ya, pretty silly but hopefully people get what I was talking about. WSFSB III is searchable at least. The second one was of a similar name but instead of 'skinny' search for fat. It's not from Defranco but it's on Tnation and is a similar program suited a little more towards fat loss. Both good programs though. I'm currently using a similar kind of method to both of those.

I'll probably switch to PHUL in late fall / early winter unless I sign up to do a powerlifting competition this winter, then I'll have to think about doing something else.
  • 22Brentwoodgirl
    22Brentwoodgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump