55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I tried Day 1 tonight. The crunches weren't bad, the leg lifts hurt my back, and I had to do the plank on my knees not toes. *sigh*
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    evesmom, doesn't matter if you have to do planks on your knees; it's a place to start. As for the leg lifts; they hurt my back as well so I bend my knees (make them a 90 degree angle); just make sure you feel it in your abs. Do as many as you can and try to progress to regular leg lifts (even if you can only do one or two) and planks (even if you can't hold for the entire time). If you keep at it you will get better over time. Take your time and don't try to rush. B)
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    thanks @griffinca2 .... I will do those things and strive for better.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Have been doing the 30-day abs challenge and have already noticed a change. I measured my waist this morning and have lost half an inch; with no changes for the last several weeks doing my regular routine. Has anyone else noticed a change? B)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    @ridiculous59 's post inspired me to suggest another book - see whether your library has it, or can get it on interlibrary loan. It's The Wonder Years, Portraits of Athletes Who Never Slow Down, by Rick Rickman (a Pulitzer-prize-winning photographer) and Donna Wares, with a foreword by Peggy Fleming. It's photo essays about the (U.S.) National Senior Games, including profiles of multiple athletes.

Full of amazing photos, an inspirational "wow" on every page. My very favorite photo is one of Helen Beauchamp, a track and field athlete from Mississippi, who looks to be around 80. Pretty normal looking woman, you probably wouldn't think twice if you saw her on the street . . . except that here she's got 2 medals around her neck, and a (maybe) 3- or 4-year-old grandson she's holding with his body cross-wise on her shoulders, apparently kind of dipping or twirling him around. Just awesome.

Ooo: I found that photo on the web: http://rickrickman.photoshelter.com/image/I0000TFQO76gRnxg

More photos from Rickman on that website, too.
  • Nancyh59
    Nancyh59 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just saw this group and thought I'd add my bit. I'm 57 and I've been working on this mission for just over 2.5 years. I've lost 80 pounds and I'd like to lose another 7 and then re-evaluate. I've gone from 232 to 152. It's been a journey, that's for sure, with some ups and downs. Thankfully, mostly downs. I log every mouthful and "move" 6 days a week. I paddle with a dragon boat team , snow shoe, x-country ski, canoe, hike with the dog, ride my bike, do strength training, and just started the C25k (couch to 5 km) program because I want to enter a 5 km run in October. I do lots of different things so I don't get bored, plus, I never over work specific areas. I haven't retired yet and sit all day at a desk, so that definitely is a challenge.

If any of you are looking for inspiration on aging and exercise you should read the book "What Makes Olga Run". It's about a woman in her 90's who was still competing at seniors track and field events and holding world records. She had been a working single mother and actually didn't start running till late in life. Apparently, alot of the people competing at the seniors games are like that and that's why they see success. They haven't been pounding away at their hips and knees their entire lives. Last summer my dragon boat team went to the seniors games. We didn't win a single race, but had alot of fun. I was amazed at the physical fitness I saw in the other women at the event and that inspired me to come home and get more serious about exercise.

And that's my story :)

Ruth

We're the same age. I agree with what you said that sitting at a desk all day makes fitness a challenge. I definitely want to look for the book you recommended. I've gone from 208 to 186 since May, but the scale didn't move at all until I started walking regularly. Now I find myself wanting to run! I know what you mean about seeing the physical fitness of some women--it truly inspires one to get busy! Thanks for your post.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This lady is my hero. I think of her when I'm tired. I figure if she can stay fit then so can I.
    ernestineshepherd.net/?page_id=2

https://youtube.com/watch?v=na6yl8yIZUI
  • griffinca2
    Options
    trina, I'm with you on Ernestine; I ran across her several years ago and have a pic of her on my computer. If she can do it we can too!! B)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Have been doing the 30-day abs challenge and have already noticed a change. I measured my waist this morning and have lost half an inch; with no changes for the last several weeks doing my regular routine. Has anyone else noticed a change? B)

Yes, I have noticed a difference. I don't measure, but my pants are baggy.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Ooo! Nice work on the ab challenge @griffinca2 & @mk2loser - kudos!
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @ilikegardens
    @Cheryl7777, I hope the hip replacement surgery recovery is going well.

Almost a year to date since I got my new hip at age 55. The pain relief was immediate (I had had pain referral to the knee and every step hurting), the swelling in the thigh lasted for months. I had taken off 40 lbs from 260 lbs in the 18 mos before surgery. Gained 16 lbs back during the 3 months hip restrictions, not being able to work my physically/mentally stressful job, and stopped logging while busy with online graduate studies. Started back logging in Jan. this year and am at 227, goal weight 150. I've been protective about my new hip, other than continuing the daily therapy exercises mornings before getting up and while I have my waffles in the toaster :smile: Started strength training with 2 lbs weights last week to attend to hurting shoulder (arthritis?) and aiming at stronger core. I have avoided stairs since one at a time during physical tx. The other day I took the stairs, fine in the hip but made my knees hurt. Altogether increased mobility and flexibility.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A question for you ladies: If you can't go to a gym, what's your favorite piece of exercise equipment you would love to have in your home that you could use year round when it's too hot or too cold or nasty outside? Any particular brands or features you are fond of?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    A question for you ladies: If you can't go to a gym, what's your favorite piece of exercise equipment you would love to have in your home that you could use year round when it's too hot or too cold or nasty outside? Any particular brands or features you are fond of?

The things I've bothered to buy so far are my Concept 2 rowing machine (which I pretty much only use in cold weather, because rowing on the water is more fun), a bunch of dumbbells, a bar & some weight plates, a chin-up bar that hangs in a doorway (mainly used for stretching until I got light enough that chin-ups became imaginable), a couple of kettlebells, a large inflatable exercise ball and some resistance bands.

I might use the rowing machine all year if not for rivers & rowing shells. It's an excellent workout, but it's not inexpensive. I use the weights and exercise ball next most, after boats, I think.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    anyone else on here have a hard time retiring? I work part time and may always have to. Seems like I am more energetic since I lost the weight also. Everyone always says I am busier now? guess I need hobbies, old age is going to be hard on me.

Retiring was a blessing for me (I'm 6 years into it now). I was so stressed out; no energy, exhausted, and 50 lbs overweight. Even after I retired it took me a few more than a couple of years to unwind and get a grip. Slowly but surely I began to relax and realized I needed to do something for me -- get healthy and lose the weight. It was the last piece of the puzzle that was missing from my life. Now that the weight is gone I have so much more energy, sleep so much better, and have so much more zest for life that I find that I look forward to each and every day both the good and the not so good. I'd like to do more and there never seems to be enough time in the day to accomplish everything. The beauty of it all is that there's always tomorrow. Work was killing me! Hopefully I never have to work another day in my life. Retiring was not hard for me!

I retired from an extremely busy and stressful job, which I used to think about every spare moment. It was only the circumstances of the time that I did retire. I went back to work in a different organisation couple of months later and have been there a couple of years. The couple of months I had off beforehand have totally changed my focus. Work is just something I do to earn money and I hang out for the weekends and dread Mondays - much more normal than my previous existence where I lived and breathed work.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »

I have dumbbells (from 3lbs. up to 20 lbs each), a step box, a TRX system, a great yoga mat, and yoga/cardio DVDs, along some Zumba, because it is fun. I use the dumbbells a lot, almost daily. I do yoga almost everyday, the cardio stuff 3x a week, use the step box to make it more of a challenge. I am just learning TRX and love it, great body weight/strength training tool. (You can take it down and put it out of the way when not in use easily.) I also have a Silver Sneakers card so I do go to the fitness center for body flex classes as well. When I have the time it is nice to go there and use the weight machines.

Youtube is great for getting instructional videos. I like Jessicasmithtv and HASfit channels. There are lots of indoor walking and TRX routines as well.

I would like a weight bench with bar and plates to go heavier when I get to the point I could lift something much heavier than my dumbbells, right now they are still working for me. To go heavy I have to use the weight room at the fitness center.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @1Nana2many I have a combo stationary bike/elliptical which comes in handy when the weather is bad. I liked having the bike especially when I started because, you know, I could sit for a while. I, too, am a fan of jessicasmithtv on YouTube. She seems perfect for us older ladies- not obnoxious or too tough. You can go at your own pace.
  • Nancyh59
    Nancyh59 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My mother in law gifted me a very nice treadmill this week! Now I don't have to wait until daylight to walk and the weather won't stop me. I'm thrilled!
  • Goddesskat
    Goddesskat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am 63, I joined MFP on 3/12/12. I was morbidly obese @ 290#. Wearing size 24W (which was tight). I am a size 10 (some brands size 8) now, and have been maintaining @ about 130# for 14 months. It wasn't easy, but it is not easy for anyone, no matter your age. I tried many times over the years, but very rarely made past a few days. Maybe once I made it to two weeks. I totally bought into the premise "it is hard to lose after 40", and simply gave up. When I started here, the success stories gave me hope, and the confidence, that I could do this too. Especially the success stories of those over 40, but really everyone's success gave me the incentive to keep going. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without becoming out of breath. I did not begin to move more until I had been on MFP for about 7 months and had lost 90#. For the past year, I have been getting 18,000 to 20,000 steps daily on my fitbit. I truly think that the major difference for me was using MFP.

I think that losing weight is doable for anyone, at any age, without any health issues that will limit their ability to do so. You just have to want it, and persevere, and it will happen. The hardest part of this for me has been maintenance for the past 14 months. Losing was easy compared to maintaining. I will be one of the people that has to continue to monitor and log for the rest of my life.

One thing I want to mention, is I have been doing this with my doctors approval and help. I have done it strictly through counting calories, and moving more. No fad diets, pills, or surgical procedures. Some older people do not need as many calories as younger people, and this is something that I have found to be true for me as well. With my doctors approval, I am eating at maintenance about 1500-1800 calories per day. For me, if I go above this amount, I begin to gain. For exercise, I mostly walk/hike, use the treadmill or elliptical, and work out with light weights. I do not do heavy lifting.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!