55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    A question for you ladies: If you can't go to a gym, what's your favorite piece of exercise equipment you would love to have in your home that you could use year round when it's too hot or too cold or nasty outside? Any particular brands or features you are fond of?

I have a Concept 2 rower, too, which I love but can't use until my doctor says it's okay (hip replacement). I also use an elliptical at home, which I can do right now. The rower works everything, but there's no doubt that it can also be very challenging. Lots of people love it, others hate it....

I have kettle bells, a TRX, balance boards, resistance bands. I get bored easily, and having a bunch of toys is helpful.

gesundundmunter: the hip replacement was a game changer. Like you, I experienced immediate relief. I'm able to move more and have lost 20 pounds (45 more to go). :)
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    A question for you ladies: If you can't go to a gym, what's your favorite piece of exercise equipment you would love to have in your home that you could use year round when it's too hot or too cold or nasty outside? Any particular brands or features you are fond of?

I would like an elliptical trainer. It's easier on the joints than a treadmill.
  • MamaSooz89129
    MamaSooz89129 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Goddesskat wrote: »
    I just wanted to thank you for your inspiring story. I have been here off and on. More off than on. I've decided on June 22, 2016 this year that I really need to get a handle on myself and get healthy because I could not move last year when I injured myself and I gained yet more weight and became depressed over it all. Somehow, I have been blessed to have someone come to me who wants to walk, so we started a walking program along with dietary intake. I have lost 11 lbs. since then and 12 inches off my body. This I know is not that much, but for me, seeing the numbers go down gives me hope that I will eventually get to where I want to be. I was actually 276 lbs. when I couldn't move. I started this journey at 262 lbs. So, before this date of June 22nd, I did lose some weight. Now, I weigh 253.6 lbs. My goal is to get down to 170 lbs. where I was before I became Obese. I'm actually supposed to be a little lighter than that goal weight. I would be happy with getting there though. Should I see when I get there I can do more, I will. Thank you again for today keeping me on track. I'm going to be 63 in January, so to hear someone my age's story is amazing. Keep up your good work at maintenance. When I get to maintenance, I hope to keep my weight where it ends up too.

Goddesskat, way to go. You sound really similar to me - I am 56 - started my health journey July 1, 2016 with 83 lbs to lose. So far I'm down 16 (4 down on MFP, I started that mid July)... a huge chunk came off in the first two weeks, which was likely water. My goal is to get to 175 and to not have to shop in Plus Size (I am 5' 8" and for years have been 3x on top and 2x on bottom). Good for you doing measurements; I need to do that - I am somewhat scale obsessed and I've got to stop it. Good luck and keep logging all your meals - it has made all the difference for me.
  • marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Did me good to read the success stories. Looked at myself in the mirror last night -- what a shock. My stomach a sack of fat. How unhealthy. Today is a new day. If other people can do it so can I and I will. I am 63 years old.
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You can do it marjtrewin!!! I'm 61 and have lost 51 lbs so far
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    You can certainly do it margtrewin. I'm 71 and have lost 30 lbs and started to workout every day
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    margtrewin, you can do it; we're here for you!! Just remember you will have bad days along the way where you mess up (we all do); just get back up and start over. You only fail when you quit! B)
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Love this. ..thanks for sharing
  • marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words of support. The trick is to log ever mouthful
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Chrissy, welcome to our group! We are here for you to encourage and help you reach your goals!!
  • susied9999
    susied9999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies. I am 66 years old and weigh in at 190, but I am only 5'2" (if I stand up really straight). So, my goal is to get down to 150. It's not as low as I need to be, but if I get there, then I can re-assess to see if I am willing to try for more. I have severe arthritis in my right knee and have not had knee replacement surgery, but it might be in my future. That right knee stops me from walking sometimes, but I am trying to walk in my flat neighborhood for 20 to 30 minutes sometimes. I do belong to the YMCA (thanks to my son's family plan), but all I have done there is the treadmill and recumbent bike. I have found if I get too enthusiastic with that, it sets me back for a few days.
    I have started using MFP again today. I am trying to keep my carbs and fat down and also 1200 calories a day. I sure help I can reach my goal.
  • evesmom2
    evesmom2 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You can do it susied! Does the Y have a pool you can use? The one around here has water exercise class for seniors...I would think that would be better for your knees?
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Water exercise would feel a lot better on your knees so if the Y has a pool, take advantage. I did a lot of exercises in the lake while camping with my family and was surprised I had absolutely no sore muscles after. I'm not a great swimmer, but used a float tube and got in a lot more exercise than I would normally do on dry ground. You can do this! Log every bite every day and start every day as if it's your first and you will make progress!
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I might be the youngest one here, but I can relate to all of you! I've just turned 42 this year. but Ive been over weight most of my life. My heighest weight was 122kg.

My life was a real mess, I was in a bad relationship, depressed, couldnt find a job, I was poor, and just wanted to smoke myself to death =(

But in 2011 I met the man of my dreams and moved to Sweden! And said goodbye to everything!!

Now I'm in a healthy relationship, my husband and I have our own web design business, I'm no longer depressed or poor!

But my weight was the only thing keeping me back and weighing me down.

My left hip started to really hurt 3 years ago, and I've been trying for the last 5 years to really lose weight.

But 9 weeks ago, something changed. I was just determined to lose this weight once and for all! I took up bellydancing! And I LOVE it and do it 6 days a week in my lounge room to a video I got from youtube.

I count all my calories and log all my food. And so far I have lost 3kg. Im really happy with my progress and my hip no longer hurts.

I Love reading everyones stories, it really encourages me to keep going no matter what!!

I hope you all accept me, and dont mind Im a little younger......I would LOVE that.

Plus.....I thought I had a group of encouraging friends,,, but in the end it was only me encouraging everyone, and I got nothing in return.

Even when I lost a huge 2kg in my week 7, (and it took me basically 6 weeks of struggling, crying, excersing, counting to finally get there, no one of my supportive friends even said anything...sigh. So I had to say goodbye to them. )

My husband supported me though! he's one of my biggest cheerleaders....but I meant friends on here.

9 weeks ago I started at 116.9kg, and now I am down to 112.9 I am 5ft7. I have alot to lose, I want to get to at least 85kg.

Kitty xoxo
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Go, go kitty!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kitty I used to bellly dance and I loved it! belly-dance.gif

A friend boxes and I think that would be so great, too.

I just started doing goblet squats and kettle bell swings and do love them. Good for the thighs, glutes, and core.

Several years ago, it took a 30lb weight loss for people to start noticing and commenting, but I actually would prefer that people not comment. I have regained and am back on track with about 75lb to go this time. Determined to make it the last time I do this.

Good luck!
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    thankyou guys =)
    <3<3
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Welcome and we're here for you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!