<3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • xtrasmallone
    xtrasmallone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies. So many of you with great ideas and supportive comments. Weighed in the morning 2.6 pound lighter. For me this is more than fantastic because I have been on an upward trend. I'm sticking to plan getting more exercise - 6 days last week counting yard work and cleaning the basement which was a lot of physical work and quite the marathon. Haven't had any of those alcohol empty calories - honestly haven't even been tempted. Not eating out is frankly the hardest thing; that and avoiding the yummy smelling sausages hubby and dd had for dinner last night.

My word for this week: CONSISTENCY

Being consistent is for me the most difficult task. I like to go with the flow and to take a day off here and there, which does not work for a small woman past menopause. I've stayed the course for a couple of weeks now. It is so hard, but it IS working.
  • xtrasmallone
    xtrasmallone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    conniehv40 wrote: »
    I am 54 and struggling with alllllll of this. I am going to try and read more of these wonderful posts. I am certainly a lot more motivated at the end of the summer than I was at the beginning. My snacking is the one thing I am attacking.
    August goals:
    drink a lot more water
    cut my snacking by 99%!!!
    Thanks everyone

You can do it Connie. Focus on healthy eating. Grab those veggies for a snack and keep your proteins up and track, track, track. I have a small kitchen scale and am measuring everything right now. You won't have to do that forever, but it is a great way to start.
    Keep things simple. If you think it is not healthy, it probably isn't.
    Also, don't be afraid of being hungry. You won't die. I promise. LOL
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    conniehv40 wrote: »
    My snacking is the one thing I am attacking.
    Connie - Attacking the snacking is good. And what a great meme! ;)

Frankiesgirl - Another phrase we toss around a lot on this thread is "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". I know how tempting it is just to give up when some external force tosses a spanner in your works. Like that darn iPad not charging. So easy to think "It's not my fault. I can't log properly, so I won't log at all." But as Becca says, let's stay awake and present in our own lives.

Today I went out jogging again, despite drizzle, and despite the fact that I can't charge my GPS watch and get all the snazzy data on heartrate, pace, time and distance. I tell myself I'm doing it for my own sake, not to make those perfect Excel graphs. I went jogging anyway. Yesterday, you logged anyway. I challenge us both to keep up the good work!

/Penny, not very far from the North Pole
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1139348gm3744qpip.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIM !!!!!!!!!! <3

Today heard a news item about a big study on calorie intake. People have been typically reporting on surveys that they log and eat 2,000 calories a day. When properly, scientifically checked those people were actually eating 3,000 calories a day. :sad:

Been out to buy kid friendly food. Lots of strawberries grown in the next lane to us. :D The grandchildren are arriving around 9.15 tomorrow. We've hidden the resin animals in the garden and DH is working out clues. Just got to make up the beds and darken the windows. I've made some orange juice ice lollies.
    I have to nip out to the dentist after lunch tomorrow, but I hope DGD will be asleep then.
    DS and DDIL have booked to go out to a smart fish restaurant in the evening and the new nanny is babysitting Bea. :D We could have had Bea, but I think it's a bit early and a bit too much work for us. :o

DH has been learning Spanish on Duolingo and he can now understand me a little when I talk to him. That makes me happy. We often use French phrases, but he has never understood any Spanish. Now all I need is a German to talk to! :laugh:

Love Heather UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Kim, Happy Birthday. Hope your day is as special as you are. <3

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
    morning peeps - thanks for using the pip name katla :0)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Miriam ~ Thanks for your insight on mental health and owning up to it. I worked with another teacher for 20+ yrs who had glaringly evident mental health issues. Through those years she ended up losing her home, her marriage and her children due to this but would never openly admit that she had a problem. I retired from teaching when they were going to place me in a trailer next door to her. Fortunately, she found a job in another county from what I have heard. She would call me wanting to get together and rant but I never did meet with her.

My mom had electric shock treatments when I was in the 5th grade and went to psychiatrists for many years. My family went through a lot because of all the chaos.

Carol
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,131 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Week five, day 1, I am actually skipping this week because it is a deload week and I only do this if I need to. So I am starting back at my modified version of week one to fit into my workout plans. I will now be transitioning from using the 30 pound kettle bell during strong lift workout days to the 35 pound kettle bell for the next four weeks. At the end of that time I will transition into a heavier Kettlebell.
    Week one, day one using the 35 pound kettle bell during StrongLifts workout.
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-25X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles

Kim- Happy Birthday! Have a great day celebrating!

This week is going to be a very strange week because I will be working with my DH at a food show tomorrow, and my sister-in-law will be up until Saturday visiting. I will probably be taking a break on Stronglifts and using my kettle bell daily instead.
    Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    Options
    Kim Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:

Carol so sorry for what you went through with your mom. Given what you went through as a child I can see why it would be hard to develop a relationship with your fellow teacher. It is an illness that can make it difficult for a person to develop relationships. Unfortunately this difficulty can isolate the person and that aggravates their problem. The teacher not being open to help as you pointed out increased her problems too. That being said, again you went through too much with your own mother the best you can do for her is suggest she seek help.

:heart:
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Margaret ~ Thanks for your comments. This teacher did seek help but never gave in to the diagnosis that she was manic depressive. When she was having a manic attack you just had to stay out of her way. She tried to sue the county the same year that I resigned. My mom at 90 has dementia and cries most of the time. All five of us children love her and just try to assure her that she is not alone but cannot take care of herself.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

KJ, your neighbor’s new puppy sounds so cute. I hope you will be able to take a picture to share with us!!!

Sue, glad you made it to the train station. Enjoy those kettle bells.

Barbie, it sounds like that kitty litter shopping is a work out all by itself. weight-of-the-world-smiley-emoticon.gif

Re, those of you talking about Kohl’s, are you talking department store or grocery store? We only have the department store here but have lived someplace that had the grocery.

Joyce, I just hope and pray that you are feeling better real soon!!!!!!

MicheleNC, I don’t know what to tell you other than ignore it. Lol So far I’m not a huge fan of Windows 10. hitting-computer.gif

Miriam, that was scary! I’m glad she is okay.

KarenWA, welcome. We are always glad to have new friends join us. Congrats on your wonderful loss. Keep it up.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    Wow, ladies I’ve gotten really far behind but thought I’d post what notes I’ve got. I’m just finished with page 16 but not more time for now. Need to get to the gym and burn a few calories. I think of you all so often and wish the best for each of you.rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Will wonders never cease!!

Got new Birkenstock shoes yesterday....have worn them for many years. Had ordered/returned 2 pairs....so knew I needed to try on at store.DD & I went .....DH & SIL stayed home.....neither one likes shopping.
    The clerk took measurements & I already had a sandal picked out. It was sloppy on my foot,so asked for one size smaller. Clerk said "but you measured for this size"DD put on her school marm face & said " if you will just get the smaller size".
    They were perfect & it was "no tax" wk end in Ohio.....if item was under $70. The owner said we don't carry shoes under $70, so everyone gets no tax in my store.
    A good day,shoes that fit,one size down....& no $11 plus tax!

MIRIAM.....happy all was well with your DD. So scary,but it's good you were with her & knew what to do.Sounds like first aid was not ready for allergic reactions. Maybe a call to them would change it for next yr? PS..good advice for Re.There is a swimsuit on line store in New England that has capris,long sleeves etc in their catalog.....don't recall the name...HQ.....or some such.
    Congrats on your top fitting!

ALLIE.....one of our SILs went to Whole Foods & 2 wks later ,DD said he was still talking about it LOL .It Is indeed something to see.
    Someone mentioned penicillin.I have always been allergic to that & sulfa drugs.Still am......

CHERI.....so glad your DH found a job & you both arrived safely in Tx.......from low humidity OHIO...LOL

Welcome to the newbies & off & on posters....like me. Missing CAROL in NC.
    Pat
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Kylia in OH – We have a very active “Jack Rat”. Right now, after a bath, she’s sleeping (snoring a little) under a bath towel since I have the overhead fan on and she wasn’t completely dry. She ‘thinks’ she is a lap dog; but, at 20lbs … and those ‘long’ legs... She really isn’t. She’ll lay her head on my leg and pull herself up; when she wants to get into DH’s lap; however, she just ‘jumps’ up. He’ll say, ‘no, no, no, I don’t even like you; your “Mama” has you spoiled, go over there so she can pet you’. But he gets tickles at some of the expressions she has on her "Jack Russell" face. I tell her that she has 'soft lamb ears, and "Grinch" feet'. She’ll look at him and immediately get down and come over to my chair. DH really did not want a ‘house dog’; but, I did because I am alone all day, she is a great companion for me. But, as soon as she hears my DH drive into the carport; she is ready to go outside and stay out with him while he is cleaning his brushes and rollers. I let her out several times during the day to play. When she gets tired, she’ll just come up and stand at the door. The only time she scratches at it is if she wants to get inside ‘right then’. Heard the coyotes outside last night (baying on the back ridge). She hates that sound and I don’t like for her to be out there if I hear them. Sure, back ridge is pretty far away; but, the baying they do is scary. I thought they had gotten my JRT last year, when I heard a ‘yelping’ and growling and she did not come to the door, I would have let her out. She wasn’t afraid of anything. She would run out into the yard and bark … this was HER property. DH and I went out toward the yelping and growling; and, probably got about ½ way between them and the house. DH told me we needed to turn around and that the yelping was a deer. Got back to the porch and looked up at the steps that come off our deck towards our spa; and she was cowering behind a big planting shaking. We let her into the house that night.

I don’t think “Cracker” is scared of too much; but, the sound of the coyotes.

KarenE – I think my life changed a lot 2 days after my 60th birthday. Met the Lord and I have certainly made a lot of changes in my life, since. Being more relaxed, not worrying about what is going to happen … because ‘it is what it is; will be what will be’ and I am more secure in my entire outlook. Life is good, for me and my family. I am not perfect; but, knowing that I am 'still loved anyway' by GOD, DH, and the rest of my family is all it is about. Having friends is just something that gets thrown into the mix, too! We’ve all been blessed in our own ways.

NYKAREN – My first cousin, who was born exactly 3 years after me is a “Karen”. I think it is a pretty name.

Lenora
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Georgia Peach, I am sorry you went through all that with your mom growing up. My mom refused treatment but for "talk therapy" which did nothing but make her MORE narcissistic! Growing up, I only remember her in bed, weeping, or dressed to the nines and leaving. It does sound to me that your mom needs treatment for depression. ECT can be given to the elderly and it improves their mood safely. The medications, on the other hand, have so many side effects. It seems that since she already has dementia, the memory loss from ECT would not be a huge issue. It might make her last years happier years. A lot of mental health advocates are totally against ECT since it has been so abused in the past, but for some it is a lifesaver. I know two men who say it is the only thing that works for them. And I have seen many elderly ladies improve greatly and be so thankful for it.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Carol! How incredibly challenging dealing with a toxic colleague. As I face my final laps of my teaching (about 7 more years), I find myself ever more mindful to take care of my students and myself despite all the roadblocks (including my returning colleague who made all that trouble for herself last year) I sure do relate to what you went through.
    I am starting the year with a clean slate and am reminding myself to steer clear of her -- fortunately she took the hint and didn't call me over the summer; I take that as a good sign. Also I only spend 2 days a week in her school so I have less time to navigate the relationship. I am working on something to say to her should she press me on why I am on eggshells with her, I guess telling her that she is unprofessional and dangerously toxic is a little too blunt!!!
    NYKAREN