Found out why my weight loss had stalled/ stopped.

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    In the UK, "lemonade" is the same thing as Sprite or 7 Up.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    If someone was putting diet soda in my Maker's Mark, I would definitely know the difference...
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    luveydov wrote: »
    Do you have those individual servings of lemonade type drinks in your grocery? Here we have Crystal Lite. You can carry that that and mix it with Vodka and Club soda. It's not too bad.

Oh, no, you're going to divert the thread to a discussion of food and drink terms (and possibly other words) that don't mean the same thing in the U.K. and U.S. (lemonade in U.S. is not the same thing as lemonade in U.K.)

Also, if you read the thread, you would see that the O.P. isn't interested in violating the prohibition on bringing your own food/drink into a pub.

Haha that's like ice tea in Canada and the US, order ice tea in Canada it's something like brisk or nestea (sweet tea), order ice tea in the states (everywhere we went anyway) and it's actually cold TEA, quite the surprise when you aren't expecting it :D made that mistake quite a few times on our road trip down there lol.

One thing I really like (no idea if the pubs there would have anything like it or not) and I hate straight spirits myself as well, there are some flavoured vodkas (like the orange cream) that are really good mixed with just water.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Wow, that's 150 (220-70) cals per drink. It would take 23 drinks per week to make a difference of 3500 cals or one pound weight loss!

Well...no not really. Since I'm obviously not only consuming calories from alcohol. So it doesn't work out quite like that

Say for example I'd eat 1000 in calories that day from food and had allowed myself 4 drinks at 70 calories each (so 280) to bring my daily to 1280 when I have a TDEE of 1600 per day (so eating at 1280 per day should leave me losing approximately 1lb per 10.9 days.

But if instead I am getting 4 drinks at 220 calories (880) not only does that take my total daily calories (1000 from food + 880 from drinks) above my TDEE and thus into weight gain territory but completely stalls weight loss.

I love my drinks as much as the next person but only 1000 cals from food and even your planned 280 from booze seems a little unbalanced. First, are you sure your TDEE is only 1600? Do you exercise at all? How much weight are you trying to lose total? How often are you hitting the pub?

I would talk to the owners about possibly bringing in diet soda, I'm sure there are plenty of others who would order that if it were on the menu, or people who are being duped today. If you're a regular, they may consider keeping even a 6 pack of Diet Coke behind the bar just for you.

• hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    That sucks that this happend. Maybe you can ask if they want to get some light options in their next order.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Not quite, those are a bit sweeter. Our lemonade is a clear fizzy drink. But we also have "proper" lemonade but that's not what most people mean when you say lemonade.

If there was no diet option I'd go with vodka, lime and soda. You'd just need to account for the lime cordial.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Same in Australia
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    You do know Diet Coke makes you gain weight? Right? Our bodies are so used to fake sugars that it tricks our bodies into thinking it's real sugar. :#
    Uh no. You don't gain weight from a 0 calorie drink. You need SURPLUS calories to gain weight and it ain't from diet drinks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    And carbonated drinks make you hungry. The fizz gets close to what triggers the chemical if you're full or not? And well...you eat when you drink anything fizzy. Beer, water, soda...bar makes money. :# Thanks America for the SUPER SIZE. :|
    Lol, most carbonated drinks create gas in the stomach causing filling (bloat) and most people aren't hungry if their are bloated. Try again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Right? That's one point of anti-soda logic I don't think the people saying it realize how ridiculous it sounds. In the same lecture, a soda hater will say "The bubbles make you feel artificially full so you'll want to eat more." and then "If you think you feel hungry, drink water to make yourself feel full so you don't eat."
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    I have vodka soda water with fresh lime
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    This is why I have a huge disdain for bartenders, despite working the job once or twice myself. I'm a Type 1 diabetic and they STILL pour out full sugar coke. I've just ended up never trusting them. I've watched a bartender pour out a full sugar coke, she placed it on the bar and then I looked her straight in the eye and said "I'm diabetic, I asked for a DIET coke" and she poured the drink away and redid it.

I've gone on a night out and ending up being slumped against a wall with sugars of 35mmol (meant to be between 4 and 8) because bartenders don't listen. I even flash them my diabetic emergency card to try get it into their thick heads but I've found the easiest solution is to not trust them.

I've found I can test the drinks though, as long as I mix a bit with my blood so the enzymes will react with my meter but people look at me weird when I start cracking out a little science experiment at the table.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

Same in Australia

See my reply, they are different. When I first went to NZ I asked or lemonade and got Sprite, I was affronted! Our lemonade is less sweet, we have Sprite too but it's, uh, Sprite, ha.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member

Then what is lemonade in the US? I work at a restaurant with lots of tourists (in Switzerland) and always give American tourists Sprite when they ask for lemonade. No one complained yet...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Oh boy, we just finished a similar conversation here :smiley:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10440079/caffeine-crap/p1
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    You do know Diet Coke makes you gain weight? Right? Our bodies are so used to fake sugars that it tricks our bodies into thinking it's real sugar. :#

I drink about 3L of diet coke everyday and lost 10kg.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Wow, that's 150 (220-70) cals per drink. It would take 23 drinks per week to make a difference of 3500 cals or one pound weight loss!

Well...no not really. Since I'm obviously not only consuming calories from alcohol. So it doesn't work out quite like that

Say for example I'd eat 1000 in calories that day from food and had allowed myself 4 drinks at 70 calories each (so 280) to bring my daily to 1280 when I have a TDEE of 1600 per day (so eating at 1280 per day should leave me losing approximately 1lb per 10.9 days.

But if instead I am getting 4 drinks at 220 calories (880) not only does that take my total daily calories (1000 from food + 880 from drinks) above my TDEE and thus into weight gain territory but completely stalls weight loss.

I love my drinks as much as the next person but only 1000 cals from food and even your planned 280 from booze seems a little unbalanced. First, are you sure your TDEE is only 1600? Do you exercise at all? How much weight are you trying to lose total? How often are you hitting the pub?

I would talk to the owners about possibly bringing in diet soda, I'm sure there are plenty of others who would order that if it were on the menu, or people who are being duped today. If you're a regular, they may consider keeping even a 6 pack of Diet Coke behind the bar just for you.

Yes my TDEE s that low, I'm only 4'9 and rarely exercise except occasional hikes. It's all been discussed with my doctor 1000 is fine for me so long as I watch I'm eating enough macros and micros. Got another 10lbs to lose. About once or twice a week I'll go to the pub.

Will do. But pubs aren't known for their great customer service here :')
  • ClareMillsRoberts
    ClareMillsRoberts Posts: 28 Member
    What about diet tonic? Gin and diet tonic is my fave low cal tipple now. Most pubs will have those little bottles of the tonic water so you can see what you are getting. Goes well with vodka too.
  • Clawsal
    Clawsal Posts: 255 Member
    Oh boy, we just finished a similar conversation here :smiley:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10440079/caffeine-crap/p1

Thank you! I read the conversation. I found out that what Americans call lemonade is what we call citron pressé.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    What about diet tonic? Gin and diet tonic is my fave low cal tipple now. Most pubs will have those little bottles of the tonic water so you can see what you are getting. Goes well with vodka too.

I don't like gin or tonic and they don't carry diet tonic in the pubs. I've found most pubs carry very few or no diet mixers.