All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    As a newbie, I find the process of measuring and weighing everything to be tedious and very nearly overwhelming. IMO it's more important to make a habit of keeping track of what you eat. If measuring and weighing helps me to be more accurate when I keep track, that will be a good thing. But if it lengthens my prep time significantly, I'm probably not going to keep doing it. I'm not going to risk being late to work in the morning or play practice in the evening. I'm not willing to cut back on sleep, and I would certainly prefer not to cut back on what little exercise time I have.

LOL it is not that time consuming to weigh your food.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Did we already discuss TEF? Not much of a big deal when it comes to weight loss, but the thermic effect of food is a real thing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Actually we aren't talking about Dr. Lustig, but Dr. Ludwig.
    I am going to go ahead and cut sugar, potatoes and processed foods out of my diet for 6 months anyway. I know a lot of you don't agree and to that I say- don't do it then! I spent two years off of sugar and flour and lost 79 pounds. So many people were bothered by this and convinced me that I should be able to eat anything I wanted in moderation. Of course I love sugar and flour and so I gave it a try- and gained back 50 pounds in the process. I am driven to overeat these things. Those of you who can't relate to this don't have that problem and I am happy for you because it really sucks. I know that I was more energetic and overall healthier when I wasn't consuming sugar and flour. Did I insist that everyone else did it? No! I didn't even make my children do that because everyone is allowed to make their own choices.
    I posted this morning looking for likeminded individuals, not looking for reasons not to cut out refined sugars and flour. I found a couple, so thanks to them.
    I'm not a newbie in any sense. I need support to go down the abstinence road because people are constantly telling me how stupid it is. It isn't easy but I know that it is right for me. And yes, eating 4000 calories a day won't end in weight loss.

You know, maybe if you didn't cut them out entirely and instead tried to get a healthy relationship with it you wouldn't have binged on it and wouldn't need a second try at losing weight.
    Just a thought.

Last time I checked, there is not one method - NONE - including CICO, that will make people lose weight once and for good. How many people are (re-re-re-) re-starters, on this thread alone ?
    I'm all for CICO, but gimme a break. I've lost weight, and gained back, and lost again.

Open mind and curiosity has never killed anyone. If OP want to try out something, why not? Good lord, he did not say he's going to eat cucumber and vinegar for 6 months straight !

I read the whole thread, and I find it extremely strange that people get borderline angry and aggressive about the way someone they don't even know decides to eat. No really.

Have a doughnut and chill a bit.

- A CICO-fan.

Wrong. CICO works for everyone. If you regained wait, that's on you, not on CICO.

My point exactly. So if OP regained, it's not necessarily because at some point he decided to eat this, or not to eat that.

And my second point is that there are very few persons here who can afford looking down on anyone, as regards weight and diet, and related psychology. And typically, those people won't have to resort to using a frigging app to monitor what they eat, so they would not be here, debating over CICO or no sugar or high protein or clean food and whatnot.

To be fair, there are plenty of people who use MFP because they are training and need to make sure their macros on point, or are dealing with a health issue and need to keep track of specific nutrients or macros. There are also many users on the forum who are trainers or dietitians, as well as people who successfully lost weight by keeping the food log and now that they are maintaining (and sometimes not even counting anymore) they stick around the forums to help people find success like they did.

Possibly true. But in such case Psychology 101 was obviously not part of their curriculum.

What do you mean? :smile:
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    As a newbie, I find the process of measuring and weighing everything to be tedious and very nearly overwhelming. IMO it's more important to make a habit of keeping track of what you eat. If measuring and weighing helps me to be more accurate when I keep track, that will be a good thing. But if it lengthens my prep time significantly, I'm probably not going to keep doing it. I'm not going to risk being late to work in the morning or play practice in the evening. I'm not willing to cut back on sleep, and I would certainly prefer not to cut back on what little exercise time I have.

Well, it for sure gets quicker and easier with practice.
    Pre-prepping is a lifesaver. I try to batch prepare my breakfasts and lunches for the workweek on Sundays.
    And you don't HAVE to use the food scale all the time. One great benefit is that over time you learn what a portion of your fave foods looks like. For some people that's all they need! But for people who think they are eating the right calories, but aren't losing, weighing out the portions is the way to fix it. Stick with it for a little while, it will probably get easier :)
  • lisabridwell
    lisabridwell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's true that a calorie is a calorie, just like one pound of muscle and one pound of fat are still each equal to one pound. One calorie of high fructose corn syrup and one calorie of blueberries are both still one calorie each. But there's also no doubt that different foods are metabolized and processed differently by our bodies and affect not only our satiety and weight but also our energy, sleep and mental clarity, to name a few. It's not the same to eat 1,200 calories of junk food a day, versus 1,200 calories of healthy, low-glycemic food a day. It may be possible to lose weight eating junk, but it's still a bit of a struggle that includes feelings of hunger and deprivation. In contrast, eating 1,200 calories of healthy foods is easy and satisfying!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Well there's always "pre measuring" so that all you have to do is huck into the oven, stove, etc. Do this on an off day. It shouldn't take more than 30-40 min to do IF measuring and weighing are important to you. If not, then carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    It's true that a calorie is a calorie, just like one pound of muscle and one pound of fat are still each equal to one pound. One calorie of high fructose corn syrup and one calorie of blueberries are both still one calorie each. But there's also no doubt that different foods are metabolized and processed differently by our bodies and affect not only our satiety and weight but also our energy, sleep and mental clarity, to name a few. It's not the same to eat 1,200 calories of junk food a day, versus 1,200 calories of healthy, low-glycemic food a day. It may be possible to lose weight eating junk, but it's still a bit of a struggle that includes feelings of hunger and deprivation. In contrast, eating 1,200 calories of healthy foods is easy and satisfying!!
    Subjective. I've competed several times and every time I had to eat "clean", I was never satisfied even if I ate more volume of "clean" food. There are some things you can't substitute (suguary/fat ice cream) to fulfill that urge.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Options

LOL it is not that time consuming to weigh your food.

No, but it can be really time consuming to measure with cups and spoons which need scraping out and cleaning. Much easier to put toast on plate on scale, hit tare, add almond butter, hit tare, add honey than dinking around with tablespoons and teaspoons. And if you always weigh out the same amount, the logging is much faster too. I strongly suspect that most people who complain about the effort of measuring food are using cups/spoons.

Yep, I definitely can not be bothered flaffing about with measuring cups and spoons. That, i do not have the time or patience for.

• Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Actually we aren't talking about Dr. Lustig, but Dr. Ludwig.
    I am going to go ahead and cut sugar, potatoes and processed foods out of my diet for 6 months anyway. I know a lot of you don't agree and to that I say- don't do it then! I spent two years off of sugar and flour and lost 79 pounds. So many people were bothered by this and convinced me that I should be able to eat anything I wanted in moderation. Of course I love sugar and flour and so I gave it a try- and gained back 50 pounds in the process. I am driven to overeat these things. Those of you who can't relate to this don't have that problem and I am happy for you because it really sucks. I know that I was more energetic and overall healthier when I wasn't consuming sugar and flour. Did I insist that everyone else did it? No! I didn't even make my children do that because everyone is allowed to make their own choices.
    I posted this morning looking for likeminded individuals, not looking for reasons not to cut out refined sugars and flour. I found a couple, so thanks to them.
    I'm not a newbie in any sense. I need support to go down the abstinence road because people are constantly telling me how stupid it is. It isn't easy but I know that it is right for me. And yes, eating 4000 calories a day won't end in weight loss.

You know, maybe if you didn't cut them out entirely and instead tried to get a healthy relationship with it you wouldn't have binged on it and wouldn't need a second try at losing weight.
    Just a thought.

Last time I checked, there is not one method - NONE - including CICO, that will make people lose weight once and for good. How many people are (re-re-re-) re-starters, on this thread alone ?
    I'm all for CICO, but gimme a break. I've lost weight, and gained back, and lost again.

Open mind and curiosity has never killed anyone. If OP want to try out something, why not? Good lord, he did not say he's going to eat cucumber and vinegar for 6 months straight !

I read the whole thread, and I find it extremely strange that people get borderline angry and aggressive about the way someone they don't even know decides to eat. No really.

Have a doughnut and chill a bit.

- A CICO-fan.

Wrong. CICO works for everyone. If you regained wait, that's on you, not on CICO.

My point exactly. So if OP regained, it's not necessarily because at some point he decided to eat this, or not to eat that.

And my second point is that there are very few persons here who can afford looking down on anyone, as regards weight and diet, and related psychology. And typically, those people won't have to resort to using a frigging app to monitor what they eat, so they would not be here, debating over CICO or no sugar or high protein or clean food and whatnot.

To be fair, there are plenty of people who use MFP because they are training and need to make sure their macros on point, or are dealing with a health issue and need to keep track of specific nutrients or macros. There are also many users on the forum who are trainers or dietitians, as well as people who successfully lost weight by keeping the food log and now that they are maintaining (and sometimes not even counting anymore) they stick around the forums to help people find success like they did.

Possibly true. But in such case Psychology 101 was obviously not part of their curriculum.
    Oooh. A bit of a insult there to others.
    So training over 1000 people in the last 20 years or so, all with different goals and personalities as well as preferences, I think I got Pyschology 101 down pretty well.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So you're rude to your clients because, why, you're successful so you earned the right to?
    You believe that something good can come out of belittling someone?
    You believe that the knowledge you possess at this time, is the universal and eternal truth?

No? You don't? Well then, my comment was not meant to include you.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think if a "Newbie" was to read this thread it would scare and put them off straight away! So many judgemental, rude, aggressive people getting their back up!!
    I also noticed that a lot of people on here may have developed OCD with weighing and numbers, weighing a pre packaged yogurt haha come on REALLY!
    I dont take a food scale out of the house and carry it around with with me, that is just sad.
    I have and I am still losing weight just fine.

I was really stunned to learn that people take the yogurt out of the container and weigh it. The container says 120 calories, but that's not good enough. Like I said, if you are that concerned that it is an under-count, just log 135 calories.

And I agree with you. It gets to the point where it is OCD. The OCD response could be, "how can you log 135 calories when it could be 141 calories?"
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I was really stunned to learn that people take the yogurt out of the container and weigh it. The container says 120 calories, but that's not good enough.

Personally, I weigh yogurt because it's cheaper to buy the big tubs and weigh some into a bowl.

True, I buy the 1L tubs and only buy the small single servings when they don't have my flavour/brand in the larger tubs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Well done. As long as you're getting your results, then what you are doing is working just fine.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I think if a "Newbie" was to read this thread it would scare and put them off straight away! So many judgemental, rude, aggressive people getting their back up!!
    I also noticed that a lot of people on here may have developed OCD with weighing and numbers, weighing a pre packaged yogurt haha come on REALLY!
    I dont take a food scale out of the house and carry it around with with me, that is just sad.
    I have and I am still losing weight just fine.

I was really stunned to learn that people take the yogurt out of the container and weigh it. The container says 120 calories, but that's not good enough. Like I said, if you are that concerned that it is an under-count, just log 135 calories.

And I agree with you. It gets to the point where it is OCD. The OCD response could be, "how can you log 135 calories when it could be 141 calories?"

I mean some people are OCD but one behavior that you wouldn't personally do isn't necessarily OCD. Like it's fine if weighing and measuring isn't for you. But your advice is that all newbies buy almost exclusively prepackaged foods. That also might work for some but it sounds kind of restrictive to me. And, the fact is, not every individual serving container is going to contain necessarily what it says on the package.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Nope, as to the bold part. For weight loss, your body only knows a calorie is a calorie, it does not distinguish between "healthy, low-glycemic food" and "junk" (besides, one mean's "junk' may be another man's only meal). Eat more calories than you burn and you will gain weight, eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight and eat just about the right amount of calories and you will maintain.