low carb Does work!!!!

Options

Replies

• hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im doing low swimming and it really works!!!! Whatever everyone is saying. I use to swim for 10 minutes in the morning but what i do now is go for a 10 mile crazy run in the morning and then i don't want to go swimming anymore but doesnt matter. I don't miss it. I lost a lot of weight the last 2,5 weeks. A lot of people are saying that i loose because my kcal out is bigger now but whatever. Its al about low swimming

Thats EXACTLY what i read every single time someone starts about low carb.

Im happy that you are loosing weight. But please call it as it is. Low carb people cut out junkfoods like candy, cookies & chips and calling it a lifestyle. All those extra's what makes people overweight easy. Then they will blame the carbs in that junkfood as the problem, not the amount they where eating. For the easy they will also ban bread, pasta and some fruits because carbs not stilling their hunger. CICO people don't see pasta and bread as the problem for being overweight but the amount of calories they where eating of all those other junkfoods. Now they count all kcal but leave room for those things every now and then because if everyone is honest, junkfoods are delicious.
  • Chitchatkat
    Chitchatkat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    YES! LCHF (emphasis on high fat) absolutely does work...AND it's the healthiest way to eat because it suppresses the insulin surges caused by carbs. LCHF eating heals the body and nourishes the brain. It gets our bodies to burn stored fat for fuel, which leads to inches lost gradually. I highly recommend that you read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. He explains the science behind lchf. Don't buy into the calorie counting diets that include carbs...they're unhealthy, unsustainable, & don't work. I lost 34 lbs post-menopause at 56. I'm 58 now & feel younger & more energetic than ever.

Please go to the library or Amazon and buy a physiology textbook to learn what insulin does. Insulin is raised EVERYTIME you eat. Insulin is a satiety hormone and signals to the body that you just ate. Then, it mobilizes the food that you just consumed for energy. The healthiest and longest LIVING cultures in the world eat high carb diets. There are no healthy cultures that eat high fat diets, not even the Inuit (they actually have a rare genetic mutation to stay out of ketosis) they are also not very healthy compared to the Asians and various other cultures that get up to 90% of their diets from carbs. It is a sad day when people parrot your brand of misinformation because they read a book by a science JOUNALIST instead of spending the money on a basic physiology course. But, I guess Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and blogs are more credible in this day and age.

"When people are misinformed, giving them facts to correct those errors only makes them cling to their beliefs more tenaciously.” - Nyhan, B. & Reifler, J.

Ok--happy for all who reach their goals regardless of how they get there. Just thought this might be a supportive, open minded group--a community--of people... a place to share our knowledge, personal experience and enthusiasm. Have a great day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    YES! LCHF (emphasis on high fat) absolutely does work...AND it's the healthiest way to eat because it suppresses the insulin surges caused by carbs. LCHF eating heals the body and nourishes the brain. It gets our bodies to burn stored fat for fuel, which leads to inches lost gradually. I highly recommend that you read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. He explains the science behind lchf. Don't buy into the calorie counting diets that include carbs...they're unhealthy, unsustainable, & don't work. I lost 34 lbs post-menopause at 56. I'm 58 now & feel younger & more energetic than ever.

Please go to the library or Amazon and buy a physiology textbook to learn what insulin does. Insulin is raised EVERYTIME you eat. Insulin is a satiety hormone and signals to the body that you just ate. Then, it mobilizes the food that you just consumed for energy. The healthiest and longest LIVING cultures in the world eat high carb diets. There are no healthy cultures that eat high fat diets, not even the Inuit (they actually have a rare genetic mutation to stay out of ketosis) they are also not very healthy compared to the Asians and various other cultures that get up to 90% of their diets from carbs. It is a sad day when people parrot your brand of misinformation because they read a book by a science JOUNALIST instead of spending the money on a basic physiology course. But, I guess Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and blogs are more credible in this day and age.

"When people are misinformed, giving them facts to correct those errors only makes them cling to their beliefs more tenaciously.” - Nyhan, B. & Reifler, J.

Ok--happy for all who reach their goals regardless of how they get there. Just thought this might be a supportive, open minded group--a community--of people... a place to share our knowledge, personal experience and enthusiasm. Have a great day.

you speak of support but don't support calorie counting and getting there regardless of how yet you say calorie counting doesnt work and don't buy into the bs of it on a calorie counting site....

how is that support or sharing knowledge? and if you don't read up on how insulin works how are you sharing knowledge...it was given to you and you refuse to accept a different view or accept proof of it.
  • Chitchatkat
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I yo yo'd 30lbs on a low carb diet for 3 years...started counting calories and have lost 50 and maintained for almost 2 years....expained to me again how calorie counting isn't sustainable and doesn't work but low carb does...

@Chitchatkat

Ok--happy for you! Awesome.
  • Chitchatkat
    Options

you speak of support but don't support calorie counting and getting there regardless of how yet you say calorie counting doesnt work and don't buy into the bs of it on a calorie counting site....

how is that support or sharing knowledge? and if you don't read up on how insulin works how are you sharing knowledge...it was given to you and you refuse to accept a different view or accept proof of it.

Sorry I didn'tmean to say I don't support calorie counting. I support all who struggle w/ weight as I do. My original post was meant kindly not being mean or dissing anyone. ☺ I just joined MFP yesterday and though my share could help someone--not all.
  • Chitchatkat
    Options

I've read a lot on the subject and will be happy to look up your suggestions too. Thx.
  • Chitchatkat
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    My anecdata: My father in law started Atkins, did really well on it, lost 30 or 40 pounds, bragged about how great low-carb was.
    Then he discovered low-carb convenience foods at Costco and started eating them like they were going out of style. Bags and bags of nuts and cheese sticks and all the rest.

Weight loss stopped completely. Because calories.

I agree, real food is best. The convenience, processed junk is awful. Shows that yes, calories count but not just any calories. Glad he's doing great now.
  • Chitchatkat
    Options
    Im doing low swimming and it really works!!!! Whatever everyone is saying. I use to swim for 10 minutes in the morning but what i do now is go for a 10 mile crazy run in the morning and then i don't want to go swimming anymore but doesnt matter. I don't miss it. I lost a lot of weight the last 2,5 weeks. A lot of people are saying that i loose because my kcal out is bigger now but whatever. Its al about low swimming

Im happy that you are loosing weight. But please call it as it is. Low carb people cut out junkfoods like candy, cookies & chips and calling it a lifestyle. All those extra's what makes people overweight easy. Then they will blame the carbs in that junkfood as the problem, not the amount they where eating. For the easy they will also ban bread, pasta and some fruits because carbs not stilling their hunger. CICO people don't see pasta and bread as the problem for being overweight but the amount of calories they where eating of all those other junkfoods. Now they count all kcal but leave room for those things every now and then because if everyone is honest, junkfoods are delicious.
    J72FIT wrote: »
    CI<CO. There are many ways to achieve it. Low carb is just one of them. Get over it...

There's so much more to LCHF than calories in/out, though. Yes, it helps reduce calories because you don't feel hungry on lchf/keto once you're in ketosis. Without the insulin surges caused by carbs, your body burns its stored fat for fuel...so you end up losing lots more body fat (inches) than on a calorie counting diet which includes carbs. There's lots of great info on the other health benefits of keto, too---most of which have nothing to do w/ weight loss. I've tried all sorts of diets and this is is the only sustainable choice. Effortless. Please read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" or the many keto/lchf websites for more great info!

Less hunger = fewer calories in (personally I was crawling up the walls from hunger trying desperately just to keep to maintenance for a whole month when I tried it). Inches lost would mostly be the same except for losing some extra muscle glycogen that keeps the muscles plump and losing water retention/bloat due to low liver glycogen. Most health benefits are a product of the weight loss itself, except for very specific medical cases (in other specific medical cases keto is detrimental). Different diets fit different physical/mental needs, goals, preferences and personalities of different people. Low carb is just one of many. Nothing particularly special about it other than that you found it to be the best choice for you, and that's great.

Ok, thanks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    My anecdata: My father in law started Atkins, did really well on it, lost 30 or 40 pounds, bragged about how great low-carb was.
    Then he discovered low-carb convenience foods at Costco and started eating them like they were going out of style. Bags and bags of nuts and cheese sticks and all the rest.

Weight loss stopped completely. Because calories.

I agree, real food is best. The convenience, processed junk is awful. Shows that yes, calories count but not just any calories. Glad he's doing great now.

I think you missed the point of this post... It wasn't that processed food is awful, it is that no matter what approach you are following, if you eat too many calories you will gain weight, regardless of it is low carb, "clean" foods, or all processed.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Sorry I didn'tmean to say I don't support calorie counting. I support all who struggle w/ weight as I do. My original post was meant kindly not being mean or dissing anyone. ☺ I just joined MFP yesterday and though my share could help someone--not all.

and that is great...it appeared by your statement you didn't.

I don't do low carb because it doesn't work for me...it works for some and that is great.

I htink that what most of us here do is try to support what works for individuals without dissing what might not work for us.

|I know low carb works for some....great...so does other WOE but I try not to diss what others are doing.

You will find a lot of educated people here who will correct erroneous information...don't take it personally just do what I did...learn....education is our best defense.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

I see this a lot, and I don't get it. Why would anyone post in a forum without reading a few threads and getting a feel for the community (let alone this specific thread)? There are so many groups to join that support any and every WOE, activity, hobby or interest, why pick a thread that is clearly contentious and get hurt feelings because somebody disagrees with you?
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Glad it works for you. I think it's important for people to discover what works for them and their lifestyle . I don't subscribe to any particular diet and love my carbs. Thanfully it hasn't been an issue for my weightloss.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I had cut most "junk foods" out of my diet long before I ever went low carb. That certainly helped, but really wasn't enough. I cut back on the so called "good carbs" and that really made the difference in my appetite. So I am able to eat less without feeling so hungry. And when I keep the carbs low, I personally don't need to count calories to lose (and now maintain) weight. I know not everyone experiences that, but it is a very nice benefit that I am enjoying.

I think you may have kicked the hornet's nest with your implication that junk food makes you gain - most people who are strictly looking at calorie counting to lose weight seem to understand that junk food doesn't make you gain. You gain when you are in a surplus, regardless of what you are eating.

Yes, some junk foods are delicious. I find the majority aren't worth it most of the time. Bread and pasta are also pretty good, but again, not worth it to me most of the time. Steak, butter, bacon, and heavy cream are delicious, and I get to eat those to satiety :). I prefer those over most "junk foods". Moral of the story - creating a deficit is necessary no matter what dietary framework you choose, but for long term adherence, you have to find what works for you.

• Chitchatkat
    Options
    CI<CO. There are many ways to achieve it. Low carb is just one of them. Get over it...

There's so much more to LCHF than calories in/out, though. Yes, it helps reduce calories because you don't feel hungry on lchf/keto once you're in ketosis. Without the insulin surges caused by carbs, your body burns its stored fat for fuel...so you end up losing lots more body fat (inches) than on a calorie counting diet which includes carbs. There's lots of great info on the other health benefits of keto, too---most of which have nothing to do w/ weight loss. I've tried all sorts of diets and this is is the only sustainable choice. Effortless. Please read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" or the many keto/lchf websites for more great info!

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of how Keto works.
    If Taubes told you this in his book exactly as you told us, it cements yet again that he's a quack who knows nothing about how the human body works in regards to food.

On keto your body burns more fat. THAT INCLUDES THE FAT YOU EAT. THE THINGS YOU EAT ARE FUEL TO YOUR BODY JUST THE SAME. Because you eat more fat on a keto diet than on a regular diet you just end up burning more of the fat you eat, no more of the fat in your body.

We burn both fat eaten and stored, actually. But ok. There are more experts out there on Keto than Taubes who agree. It's not a new concept.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

If Taubes told you this in his book exactly as you told us, it cements yet again that he's a quack who knows nothing about how the human body works in regards to food.

On keto your body burns more fat. THAT INCLUDES THE FAT YOU EAT. THE THINGS YOU EAT ARE FUEL TO YOUR BODY JUST THE SAME. Because you eat more fat on a keto diet than on a regular diet you just end up burning more of the fat you eat, no more of the fat in your body.

We burn both fat eaten and stored, actually. But ok. There are more experts out there on Keto than Taubes who agree. It's not a new concept.

That's why I said "That includes the fat you eat". If you think you're burning more bodyfat because you're burning more fat total, you don't know what you're talking about.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

That's why I said "That includes the fat you eat". If you think you're burning more bodyfat because you're burning more fat total, you don't know what you're talking about.
    This! And if you think you're going to be burning stored body fat slogging down 100+ grams of fat a day.......then I got some bad news for you.
    "Fat burns in the flame of carbohydrate"

I routinely eat 100+g of fat per day. Lost 50 lbs that way. So long as you remain in a calorie deficit, why wouldn't you lose wieght eating 100g of fat per day? That's only 900 calories; you still have plenty of room for adequate protein and a even bit of carb (at least I did, I was eating roughly 1600 cal per day while losing weight). You don't need carbs to burn fat. That's absurd.

• msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    This topic is getting too debatey. What we need now is a "detox cleanse" thread.

I'm new enough that I haven't seen one of those, but I can only imagine how hilarious it would be. I mean, the potential!
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Nope, I'm here for the cat gifs.

ZcTrnyC.gif

Omg... Dead!
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This topic is getting too debatey. What we need now is a "detox cleanse" thread.

utfpb2cqig4n.jpg

Literally would be heaving guts if I had that. Guess there's something to this detox, or "cleanse".

ETA- those peeps look morbidly real.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

utfpb2cqig4n.jpg

Literally would be heaving guts if I had that. Guess there's something to this detox, or "cleanse".

ETA- those peeps look morbidly real.

One end or the other, I suspect those wouldn't stay in you long! But that's the idea. Clean you out!
This discussion has been closed.