low carb Does work!!!!

Options

Replies

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Low carb worked for you, it doesn't work for others. The only thing that works universally is the caloric deficit.

Yep!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Low carb absoulty works to loose weight. My problem is I can't eat that way the rest of my life. I hope you can!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    If you got results on low carb that's great. Low carb is how you did it, CI<CO is why it worked...

Bingo! But it's almost useless to explain things around here because some would rather believe that low carb is magical ( because they've done it for two weeks) but refuse to except The fact that a calorie deficit is needed for weight loss.

I never said ANYTHING was magical..yes I understand the concept, in verses out, keeping in a deficit is the way to loose weight... But the whole "eat whatever you want as long as its within your goals didn't work for me...if you enjoy the lifestyle of low carb hence staying within a deficit does work and is sustainable and people shouldn't berate ppl on here for suggesting it cause it's" unhealthy" which is not the case NO carb is unhealthy not low carb....like guys, am I speaking in a different language????

what you are missing is this...

People jump to the advice "go low carb" before checking if the OP is logging accurately and consistently...

The advice "eat what you want but stay in goal" is for those who think "white bread is bad" or "chips are junk" etc. and the other advice of "eat what helps you stay in goal" is often missed as well by low carbers...the advice of "ensure you are getting in enough fats and protein" is often missed by low carbers as well...those who moderate who give this advice are basically saying do what works for you..switch things up but don't label food as bad or junk just because you are dieting.

low carb works for some but it's not the answer to "why am I not losing?" 100% of the time...

and until you have lived the low carb life for longer than 2 weeks this thread is moot.

Love this post!
  • Magoo64
    Magoo64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Four years ago I did the "eat in moderation and count calories" diet and lost 35 lbs and got to a normal BMI. Since then, a cross-country move, some additional personal stresses that made me go back to some bad eating habits, topped off with hitting menopause, and I had gained it all back and then some, especially once I hit menopause. I tried to do what worked 4 years ago. It didn't work. I didn't know why since it had worked so well before, so I researched and read up on LCHF which I had been hearing a lot about but which I thought was too extreme for me. But then I read that when you are past menopause that many women become insulin resistant and that lowering your glucose levels helps rebalance insulin sensitivity and hormones. My circumstances seemed to fall right in line with insulin resistance, including increases in glucose in blood tests over the previous years' tests. So I started LCHF recently and am finally losing weight again and overall this diet is really working for me on so many levels, not just the weight loss. I sleep like an angel, I'm not hungry nor have true cravings and I just "feel" better overall so I know now that even when I hit my goal weight I have to be way more aware of my sugar/carb intake than I ever realized. Just sharing in case it helps others like me who for whatever reason don't respond well to just the moderation/calorie counting approach. Because now with age and a "body change" in terms of the menopause, what worked for me before no longer works and LCHF does. So maybe the person who said just eat in moderation and count calories has not had the same challenges that some of us have had with our own body not responding to that method. Everybody has to do the homework to know what will most likely work for their body like many others have said in previous posts and as you say too OP.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Low carb is short term and long term unsustainable. Everyone I know gains weight back and then has to do it again and again. Can't be good for your body or mental Heath to yo yo diet. Why not just exercise more ... Eat good most of time. Make healthy long term sustainable changes and lose it slow and forever. Slowly cut calories make simple better choices and gradually increase. Carbs are yummy
  • Chitchatkat
    Chitchatkat Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    YES! LCHF (emphasis on high fat) absolutely does work...AND it's the healthiest way to eat because it suppresses the insulin surges caused by carbs. LCHF eating heals the body and nourishes the brain. It gets our bodies to burn stored fat for fuel, which leads to inches lost gradually. I highly recommend that you read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. He explains the science behind lchf. Don't buy into the calorie counting diets that include carbs...they're unhealthy, unsustainable, & don't work. I lost 34 lbs post-menopause at 56. I'm 58 now & feel younger & more energetic than ever.
  • Chitchatkat
    Chitchatkat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    CI<CO. There are many ways to achieve it. Low carb is just one of them. Get over it...

There's so much more to LCHF than calories in/out, though. Yes, it helps reduce calories because you don't feel hungry on lchf/keto once you're in ketosis. Without the insulin surges caused by carbs, your body burns its stored fat for fuel...so you end up losing lots more body fat (inches) than on a calorie counting diet which includes carbs. There's lots of great info on the other health benefits of keto, too---most of which have nothing to do w/ weight loss. I've tried all sorts of diets and this is is the only sustainable choice. Effortless. Please read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" or the many keto/lchf websites for more great info!

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    CI<CO. There are many ways to achieve it. Low carb is just one of them. Get over it...

There's so much more to LCHF than calories in/out, though. Yes, it helps reduce calories because you don't feel hungry on lchf/keto once you're in ketosis. Without the insulin surges caused by carbs, your body burns its stored fat for fuel...so you end up losing lots more body fat (inches) than on a calorie counting diet which includes carbs. There's lots of great info on the other health benefits of keto, too---most of which have nothing to do w/ weight loss. I've tried all sorts of diets and this is is the only sustainable choice. Effortless. Please read Gary Taubes' "Why We Get Fat" or the many keto/lchf websites for more great info!

Less hunger = fewer calories in (personally I was crawling up the walls from hunger trying desperately just to keep to maintenance for a whole month when I tried it). Inches lost would mostly be the same except for losing some extra muscle glycogen that keeps the muscles plump and losing water retention/bloat due to low liver glycogen. Most health benefits are a product of the weight loss itself, except for very specific medical cases (in other specific medical cases keto is detrimental). Different diets fit different physical/mental needs, goals, preferences and personalities of different people. Low carb is just one of many. Nothing particularly special about it other than that you found it to be the best choice for you, and that's great.
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs, I specially love eating pasta a lot, and still im losing weight :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    YES! LCHF (emphasis on high fat) absolutely does work...AND it's the healthiest way to eat because it suppresses the insulin surges caused by carbs. LCHF eating heals the body and nourishes the brain. It gets our bodies to burn stored fat for fuel, which leads to inches lost gradually. I highly recommend that you read Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. He explains the science behind lchf. Don't buy into the calorie counting diets that include carbs...they're unhealthy, unsustainable, & don't work. I lost 34 lbs post-menopause at 56. I'm 58 now & feel younger & more energetic than ever.

I yo yo'd 30lbs on a low carb diet for 3 years...started counting calories and have lost 50 and maintained for almost 2 years....expained to me again how calorie counting isn't sustainable and doesn't work but low carb does...

@Chitchatkat
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    My anecdata: My father in law started Atkins, did really well on it, lost 30 or 40 pounds, bragged about how great low-carb was.
    Then he discovered low-carb convenience foods at Costco and started eating them like they were going out of style. Bags and bags of nuts and cheese sticks and all the rest.

Weight loss stopped completely. Because calories.

Yeap. The original Atkins worked so well, because your options were pretty limited to meats, cheese, oils, and decent quality vegetables at that time, and you had to prepare most of it yourself. The effort required, and satiety from whole foods was a big driver in the self-imposed caloric restriction, at a time when accurately counting calories was nigh impossible for the average person.

These days, you can find so much ready made "low-carb" calorie dense garbage food, that it's no wonder people fail at it all of the time now. Seriously, *kitten* those Atkins bars too, and whoever thought it was a cute idea to count all sugar alcohols as non net. There are SAs with just as much FE and BG response as table sugar.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    My anecdata: My father in law started Atkins, did really well on it, lost 30 or 40 pounds, bragged about how great low-carb was.
    Then he discovered low-carb convenience foods at Costco and started eating them like they were going out of style. Bags and bags of nuts and cheese sticks and all the rest.

Yeap. The original Atkins worked so well, because your options were pretty limited to meats, cheese, oils, and decent quality vegetables at that time, and you had to prepare most of it yourself. The effort required, and satiety from whole foods was a big driver in the self-imposed caloric restriction, at a time when accurately counting calories was nigh impossible for the average person.

These days, you can find so much ready made "low-carb" calorie dense garbage food, that it's no wonder people fail at it all of the time now. Seriously, *kitten* those Atkins bars too, and whoever thought it was a cute idea to count all sugar alcohols as non net. There are SAs with just as much FE and BG response as table sugar.

You've obviously never tried the Haribo Sugar free gummy bear diet then..haha. I hear the results are explosive!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

You've obviously never tried the Haribo Sugar free gummy bear diet then..haha. I hear the results are explosive!

Hahahaha. I had never heard of those things until about a month ago. Read the reviews on Amazon, and that *kitten* is comedy gold.
  • dragon_girl26
    Options

Hahahaha. I had never heard of those things until about a month ago. Read the reviews on Amazon, and that *kitten* is comedy gold.

I sent that Amazon link a few months ago to a coworker who was having a rough day. I could hear her laughing four aisle away. Works everytime!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Oh my. I had my first experience some years ago with sugar alcohols in sugar-free ice cream. That was a very fast lesson in "NO MALITOL, EVER!!!!"

So gross.
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »

Oh my. I had my first experience some years ago with sugar alcohols in sugar-free ice cream. That was a very fast lesson in "NO MALITOL, EVER!!!!"

So gross.

Haha, yep...I keep hearing that from people who eat a whole pint of the Halo Top ice cream (I think that's the one, anyway.). All of that is enough reason for me to stay away!
This discussion has been closed.