low carb Does work!!!!

Options

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »
    low carb is fine if you don't mind the potential for wasting of muscle tissue for aminos. Im in it to build up my body not tear down. Its all a matter of goals. If weight maintenance is the ONLY goal than just do Atkins. To each their own. I tried low carb. I lost mad weight fast. My strength tanked as well. Im simply too active for a low carb diet.
    LCHF does not waste muscle like you think it does.
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373635/
  • moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", female, I eat less than 20g carbs a day and between 1800 and 2000 calories - most of my calories are from fat. According to the guidelines on here I shouldn't lose eating at this calorie level but I lost 50lbs in about 8 months. When I eat carbs and cut calories I tend to gain - and I'm hoping to go back to low carb permanently now after some bad emotional eating. I feel better and more energetic on low carb and once I'm at goal I can increase carbs to 100g ish and still maintain. Ymmv but that's been my experience. Low carb isn't easy to stick to but neither is low calorie, for me. I'm starving all the time on low calorie and rarely hungry at all on low carb. It's pretty much a miracle diet if you ask me.
  • honorthecolors
    honorthecolors Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To each their own but all people wishing to get into shape need is consistency, resistance, motivation, and some discipline. I consume around 300 to 400g complex carbs a day with reduced sugar and around 250 to 300g of protein. I've already lost a lot of body fat and now I'm trying to bulk up my lean body mass and currently my BF is at 7 percent.
  • Decapins
    Decapins Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think the best thing about low carb is it makes you realize how many carbs you eat. I used to be eating 300 carbs everyday. I'm not on a low carb diet anymore but i do try to avoid bread and other heavy carb foods and I think its much healthier.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    moonlights wrote: »
    I'm 5'2", female, I eat less than 20g carbs a day and between 1800 and 2000 calories - most of my calories are from fat. According to the guidelines on here I shouldn't lose eating at this calorie level but I lost 50lbs in about 8 months. When I eat carbs and cut calories I tend to gain - and I'm hoping to go back to low carb permanently now after some bad emotional eating. I feel better and more energetic on low carb and once I'm at goal I can increase carbs to 100g ish and still maintain. Ymmv but that's been my experience. Low carb isn't easy to stick to but neither is low calorie, for me. I'm starving all the time on low calorie and rarely hungry at all on low carb. It's pretty much a miracle diet if you ask me.

I will raise you another anecdote. This morning I wasn't very hungry so I decided to just have a simple Greek yogurt sandwich. I spooned what I felt was a liberal amount on my bread since I wasn't doing breakfast and it came out at 38 grams.

Later this evening I was pretty hungry because I had a light lunch and have a nice dinner planned, so I decided to have a Greek yogurt sandwich again to hold me over until dinner. I spooned what I felt was a small amount (did not want too many calories for a snack) and it came out at 49 grams.

I'm fascinated how your satiety and perception of "ease" changes the way you perceive your portions and calories. Had I not seen the weight with my own eyes I could have sworn the amount I had this morning was at least twice the amount I had in the evening.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This is the sort of anecdotal claim of eating above ones maintenance level due to the miraculous low carb diet that is simply not helpful... If you are losing weight it is because you are consuming less calories than you burn. If eating a LC diet helps you create and stay in a calorie deficit, and you find it a sustainable way of eating, great, but it is still the calorie deficit that is causing the weight loss, not a miracle diet.

What works for moonlights doesn't work for you, and vice-versa. I don't think it's helpful for you to essentially call moonlights out; your tone suggests you think she's either lying, or exaggerating. But look -- her diet works FOR HER. The diet you describe would be an absolute disaster for me, with all the bread and ice cream, pizza, cookies. I'd be 30 pounds heavier in about a year on that diet.

To each his or her own.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's no evidence that someone would maintain eating 1800 calories of one diet and gain more than .5 lb/week eating 1800 calories on some other diet, all else equal, as is claimed. It makes no sense at all.

Is it possible (even likely) that someone would have an easier time not going over 1800 on one diet vs. another? Of course, but the specifics of what makes it easier will vary from person to person. Point is it's not because eating low carb makes you magically able to eat way more calories on some other diet. There's no scientific support for that at all.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    It's been said and I agree...the best diet is the one that works for you.
  • honorthecolors
    honorthecolors Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Decapins wrote: »
    I think the best thing about low carb is it makes you realize how many carbs you eat. I used to be eating 300 carbs everyday. I'm not on a low carb diet anymore but i do try to avoid bread and other heavy carb foods and I think its much healthier.

I am not on a low carb eat habit either but bread is one thing I try to avoid since its mostly simple.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

This is the sort of anecdotal claim of eating above ones maintenance level due to the miraculous low carb diet that is simply not helpful... If you are losing weight it is because you are consuming less calories than you burn. If eating a LC diet helps you create and stay in a calorie deficit, and you find it a sustainable way of eating, great, but it is still the calorie deficit that is causing the weight loss, not a miracle diet.

What works for moonlights doesn't work for you, and vice-versa. I don't think it's helpful for you to essentially call moonlights out; your tone suggests you think she's either lying, or exaggerating. But look -- her diet works FOR HER. The diet you describe would be an absolute disaster for me, with all the bread and ice cream, pizza, cookies. I'd be 30 pounds heavier in about a year on that diet.

To each his or her own.

how is that? Wine agreed as she lost on the same amount of calories and is the same size? Low carb does not guarantee weight loss is her point...

but moonlight claiming she shouldn't be losing on those calories and it's all due to low carb is not accurate...yes her diet works for her...it wouldn't work for me...and it might not work for others..but she shouldn't make claims that aren't totally fact.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet

Very interesting. People first believed that the world was flat. I'm just saying. It's a lot of different ways to look at things. Not defending or undefending this link. It is interesting though.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thedietdoctor. People should read this website with a critical eye. The information is dishonest at best.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Thedietdoctor. People should read this website with a critical eye. The information is dishonest at best.

Your proof?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »

Your proof?

If your source wouldn't fly in a university homework, don't use it in a serious discussion about something scientific.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »

Your proof?

I know for a fact that he is lying. Takes one instance to disprove a claim. I personally gained weight on a ketogenic diet with a carb level even lower than his (less than 20 g of carbs a day) because I found it hard to keep my calories under control with the sort of hunger I had.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

If you magically gain weight when you eat carbs (and CUT calories), how on earth do you propose to NOT gain weight when you increase your carbs again in maintenance? Will being at your "goal" weight automatically keep your weight stable? Is 100 grams of carbs the magic carb number to stay at and maintain weight?

Help me understand your reasoning.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    MrsKila wrote: »
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/what-happens-if-you-eat-5800-calories-daily-on-an-lchf-diet

Very interesting. People first believed that the world was flat. I'm just saying. It's a lot of different ways to look at things. Not defending or undefending this link. It is interesting though.

lololol Who in the h.e.ll could even afford to eat 5k+ calories a day? So much horse crap.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »

If you magically gain weight when you eat carbs (and CUT calories), how on earth do you propose to NOT gain weight when you increase your carbs again in maintenance? Will being at your "goal" weight automatically keep your weight stable? Is 100 grams of carbs the magic carb number to stay at and maintain weight?

Help me understand your reasoning.

Good catch.
This discussion has been closed.