Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Seriously how far does this go with exposed skin? Tank tops OK? Sleeveless t-shirts? Shorts?
  • Rosemary5991
    Rosemary5991 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I wish I was confident enough to run only wearing a sports bra. I have a bad tan from wearing tank tops all summer. I think people should do what makes them comfortable. I could care less if I pass by a dude without a shirt or a lady with only a sports bra on her upper half.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »
    Seriously how far does this go with exposed skin? Tank tops OK? Sleeveless t-shirts? Shorts?

Guys should really never wear tank tops except maybe at the gym or possibly the beach.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »

Guys should really never wear tank tops except maybe at the gym or possibly the beach.

jason-momoas-muscles-seriously-out-of-control.jpg

*drops mic*

Point made.

I met him once.

*checks photo* he wasn't wearing a tank top. Damn.

Have no idea who this is.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't care if the guy is fat or fit. Put an effing shirt on. You're not at home lounging around half naked, you are out in public.

When i see a shirtless guy jogging around the neighborhood, my first thought is he's thinking "look at me, look at me". Same thing goes for women bouncing around in their tiny sports bra and even smaller shorts.
    When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to be ogled/validated by passing complete strangers, so i tried to look as daggy and unattractive as possible.

So because you are running around in baggy clothes judging other people, you are better than the guy running shirtless minding his own business?

Where did say I was better? Some people love getting attention, other aren't fussed about it or want/need it, i just happen to fall in the latter category.

You think anyone not wearing a shirt is doing it for attention. Which isn't true. You are quite clearly judging.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i can't think of anything more uncomfortable than running in baggy clothes. hot or cold temps, doesn't matter.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    People actually care what others wear (or don't wear)? I thought this ended in middle school.

This thread is bizarre and sad.

I was just thinking the same thing, this has never crossed my mind when I see people exercising (or otherwise). I spent a good deal of my life in Florida. It was hot, damn hot. We were all "half naked" no matter what we were doing, if we could help it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Running shirtless, walking topless, wearing a wife beater, it is all about societal expectations. Society, at least american, says that men and woman should have these very idealized bodies and those that don't are inferior or less than attractive. Thats just the way it is like it or not society has set those expectations, you can go against those expectations or go with the flow.

Personally I run with a tank top or a "dry" fabric type shirt. I don't have an attractive body and don't have the desire to let the world view my saggy empty skin.

Wearing a what now?

Wifebeater, known in the more civilized parts of the world, as an A-shirt, or some such silliness:
    big-and-tall-t-shirts-wife-beaters.jpg

Vest or tank top

Those two things describe a very wide variety of things. Wifebeater is very specific article of clothing, though as I said, the manufacturer's name for it is A-shirt, but probably only because someone would get mad about the more common name being on a clothing package.

Come to my country and ask for a wifebeater or an A shirt and you're getting nowt

Vest or tank top is what they are specifically called in the UK

Um, hi, you know me, a Brit. I call them wife beaters, have since forever, my ex wore them a lot (BMXer), his wife beater of choice came from M&S in multi-packs, ha.

Um hi

You're weird :)!

Must ask around now
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running shirtless, walking topless, wearing a wife beater, it is all about societal expectations. Society, at least american, says that men and woman should have these very idealized bodies and those that don't are inferior or less than attractive. Thats just the way it is like it or not society has set those expectations, you can go against those expectations or go with the flow.

Personally I run with a tank top or a "dry" fabric type shirt. I don't have an attractive body and don't have the desire to let the world view my saggy empty skin.

Wearing a what now?

Wifebeater, known in the more civilized parts of the world, as an A-shirt, or some such silliness:
    big-and-tall-t-shirts-wife-beaters.jpg

Vest or tank top

Those two things describe a very wide variety of things. Wifebeater is very specific article of clothing, though as I said, the manufacturer's name for it is A-shirt, but probably only because someone would get mad about the more common name being on a clothing package.

Come to my country and ask for a wifebeater or an A shirt and you're getting nowt

Vest or tank top is what they are specifically called in the UK

Um, hi, you know me, a Brit. I call them wife beaters, have since forever, my ex wore them a lot (BMXer), his wife beater of choice came from M&S in multi-packs, ha.

Um hi

You're weird :)!

Must ask around now

I have heard it, not common and normally accompanied by a can of Stella...
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There is never going to be a simple answer to this... people are going to bring their personal and cultural expectations to this kind of discussion.

For me, generally, I think people should wear something they are comfortable and that suits the activity and the environment. Generally I don't have a problem with men running shirtless or women running in a bra style top. They are exercising, probably sweating and are wearing what is comfortable. I definitely don't see that as being only out to show off or be provocative or out to corrupt anyone. To be honest, I don't really care that much what other people wear unless it actually has an impact on me... and I can't think how a shirtless runner would be able to cause me any problems.

I don't think it's a great idea if its really hot or middle of the day when there's a high UV index.... watching my mum die of melanoma was a good lesson that those of us who live in hot climates need to take care of our skin, the sun can feel great but it can also cause horrendous damage. I learnt that a bit too late really, but I hope the younger generation is smarter than mine was.

And I think you need to be conscious of your surroundings and the cultural expectations in different parts of the world. I've been in parts of the world where it's more appropriate to cover my shoulders/knees and I'm happy to respect that. In my local park, suburb or on the paths around the river in my small Australian city, I have no problem with tank tops, shorts, or less if it suits the weather and the activity.

Hmmm, I seemed to get a bit distracted from the actual question - I don't care what shape you are in, if you are comfortable in less clothes and it suits the activity and the environment, go for it.