Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I had no idea that there were so many prudes still in existence. I guess I live in a shirtless bubble.

I believe it's jealousy for a lot of people...

yep i agree. its hot in london today. i wish i could just walk around the supermarket half naked whilst shopping. i bet it would get a different effect than the guy i saw today. lol
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    While running=true do:

begin
    IF Forgot nip guards but have sun blocker then Run shirtless
    else if Forgot sun blocker but have nip guards then Run with sleeved shirt
    else if Have sun blocker and have nip guards then Run with tank top
    end;

/thread

Thanks for the pointers!

I remembered the nip guards(bra) and the sun blocker and ran shirtless! OMG It was 4 mile trail run in the blazing sun. I did wear a dorky hat.

Pics or it didn't happen :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I didn't know this was actually an issue...I see guys out running all of the time without shirts on...also, seems like a lot of people have never been to the beach or to the pool or something.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I didn't know this was actually an issue...I see guys out running all of the time without shirts on...also, seems like a lot of people have never been to the beach or to the pool or something.

there was an article the other day about sunbathing in bra and pants in the park and how people think its wrong. so really people are bored and have to worry about all sorts that dont concern them.
  • amymurray12282
    amymurray12282 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    @CreativeGuy504 Devil's advocate here... Women who run in sports bras, no shirt: what are your feelings regarding a "fit" looking 25 year old woman versus a 60 year old, 300 pound woman running in public without covering herself?

(Please, please, PLEASE keep in mind, I'm just adding perspective. I am not judging anyone for age or size. Personally, I think a sports bra is a bra, which is an undergarment, which stays under my garments, not flaunted for the public to see.)

Wouldn't bother me. :) Sure it may not be the most pleasant thing to look at (just like my seventy year old neighbor), but I would support her 100%. I love to people watch, and that comes with seeing people who are really well dressed, and people who aren't. To me, telling a shirtless jogger to cover up (unless in a place of business, etc) is akin to telling a random stranger "I don't like that outfit on you. You need to change into something else."
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    @CreativeGuy504 Devil's advocate here... Women who run in sports bras, no shirt: what are your feelings regarding a "fit" looking 25 year old woman versus a 60 year old, 300 pound woman running in public without covering herself?

(Please, please, PLEASE keep in mind, I'm just adding perspective. I am not judging anyone for age or size. Personally, I think a sports bra is a bra, which is an undergarment, which stays under my garments, not flaunted for the public to see.)

Wouldn't bother me. :) Sure it may not be the most pleasant thing to look at (just like my seventy year old neighbor), but I would support her 100%. I love to people watch, and that comes with seeing people who are really well dressed, and people who aren't. To me, telling a shirtless jogger to cover up (unless in a place of business, etc) is akin to telling a random stranger "I don't like that outfit on you. You need to change into something else."

^^^^^ This. Who am I to tell someone they have to cover up? I know that where I live, it's hot. It's humid. Our local meteorology team calls this weather "oppressive". I choose to wear less (think tank top and lightweight capris) because I overheat if I don't. I am in my mid-30s, and I am overweight. Exercising in this weather is hard enough as it is...why not let people do what they must (within reason) to make it as enjoyable as they can? Props to them for exercising...no judgement from me! If you don't like it, look away.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I have a question on this thread:

When it is hot (over 90*) and humid (dew point over 70*) is it better, from a cooling perspective, to wear a technical fabric shirt or to go as shirtless as local convention allows. I always thought that the new fabric shirts were better at keeping you cool in hot humid conditions. From a cooling, it's too dam* hot to run perspective, is this wrong?

I believe you are correct. At least I'm certainly more comfortable with a shirt than without.

If you're running while the sun is up and it's not particularly windy, then yes. Between the fabric protecting you from infrared rays, and the minimum wicking the shirt's capable of in high humidity, the shirt works better.

Run after the sun goes down like I do (but it's still 90+F and 80+ humidity), and you'll find that running shirtless is very slightly cooler than wearing a technical shirt. If there's any air moving, then shirtless is a big improvement.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't care if the guy is fat or fit. Put an effing shirt on. You're not at home lounging around half naked, you are out in public.

When i see a shirtless guy jogging around the neighborhood, my first thought is he's thinking "look at me, look at me". Same thing goes for women bouncing around in their tiny sports bra and even smaller shorts.
    When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to be ogled/validated by passing complete strangers, so i tried to look as daggy and unattractive as possible.

If you're at the beach..put an effing shirt on..you're not at home lounging around half-naked. Well..that seems effing ridiculous..just as viewing the person as "half-naked" is effing ridiculous.

If your first thought is "he's thinking "look at me, look at me" I wonder why in the hell that would be your first thought..especially, if you're someone on this forum, who seems to be into fitness?

If you think those women bouncing around in their tiny sports bras and even smaller shorts (say..wait..what neighborhood do you live in? I may have to jog there..cuz I'm not seeing that where I am at..and I live right next to one of..if not THE MOST POPULAR athletic club in the area) Just your words there..makes it seem to be ..you have some hang-ups?

I would have thought , your first thought would be "good for them"? There out getting fit..and maybe they look good too!

Seems like you're self-conscious with nudity, half-nakedness and bodies in general, if you have a fear of being ogled and problems with men with their shirts off, being half-naked and women running around in their scandalous teeny shorts and tiny sports bras?

I could be completely wrong of course, but that's my first thoughts in reading what you wrote?

The beach is the beach, one expects to see shirtless men or bikini clad women there.

I am very confident and don't have a fear of being ogled, it is just incredibly irritating. When i was a teenager i enjoyed attention from boys, but the older I've got the less i give a F what total strangers think of me or if they find me attractive enough to honk their horn or yell out charming things at me when i'm trying to go about my business.

I know some women who get upset if they aren't gawked at. They are incredibly insecure and far from confident, they need that validation to prove to themselves that they are desired/attractive.

What would you call a guy wearing just a pair of shorts and nothing else? Half naked or perhaps half dressed :wink:

Sorry guys, my opinion of these people will never change. I've met too many show ponies in my life time, they're pretty easy to spot. I will continue to roll my eyes and chuckle to myself when i see them. You can hate me for my opinion and deny or acknowledge that some people are like this. It makes no difference to me.

Debating this is pointless, and will end up with someone being reported and chucked in jail. So with that i'm out, I have given my opinion to the the opening post which is all i came here to do, not to belittle, justify or argue back and forth.

The Beach may be the beach..but it's no more lewd than someone jogging w/o their shirt on. I have no clue why this would be "incredibly irritating" other than a personal hang up.

What would I call a guy wearing just a pair of shorts? Stupid, if he's not wearing jogging shoes and socks. Otherwise, I wouldn't call him anything. I'd think..good for him..out getting healthy and *kitten*.

It doesn't matter if your opinon changes or not. We're all entitled to our own opinion. I have never denied the show poinies..and being older than you, I'd guess I have seen far more of them in various situations..home, work and play.

Nobody doubts their existence..howver, you have stated it's "your first thought" .
    \So..I'll stick with my first impression of your words..that you have issues.

And it's not a "debate" simply sharing of opinions. Somehow, if others seem to disagree with you..they're now in the belittle category?
    You get to offer your opinion, but yet..others cant? They're debating, trying to change your mind and belittling ?

I don't tink so Lucy.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I really think over in the states people are a little more conservative when it comes to men and women being shirtless, over here in Holland its normal people walk around, run, do whatever shirtless if its warm. Hell my neighbour is out sunbathing topless she doesnt care, Nudity above the waist just isnt a big deal here. Anyway i'd say if you want to run run topless, just do it, who gives a *kitten* what anyone else thinks?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Tomm88 wrote: »
    I really think over in the states people are a little more conservative ....

Nice way to channel all the attention, you're going to generate a lot of butthurt over a generalisation. At least that's the usual response to that kind of statement ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really think over in the states people are a little more conservative when it comes to men and women being shirtless, over here in Holland its normal people walk around, run, do whatever shirtless if its warm. Hell my neighbour is out sunbathing topless she doesnt care, Nudity above the waist just isnt a big deal here. Anyway i'd say if you want to run run topless, just do it, who gives a *kitten* what anyone else thinks?

For female toplessness, yeah. Contrary to OP, I don't think people are bothered by male toplessness unless it's in an inappropriate venue (like a sit-down restaurant, not jogging).

Isn't Christine one of the most opposed here? I think she's in Australia, not the US. (Fear of sunburn if too much skin is shown?)
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I really think over in the states people are a little more conservative ....

Nice way to channel all the attention, you're going to generate a lot of butthurt over a generalisation. At least that's the usual response to that kind of statement ;)

Not trying to offend its just the way it is, female nipples are a no no, if a girl walks around on a beach topless there its made a huge thing of. I'm not by any means saying its a bad thing its just what i see. Before i moved here i lived most of my life in the U.K its exactly the same there.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Rebaisa wrote: »
    jcjz3p7azjed.jpeg
    In June I ran in my first ever 'race'. I wore a tank top while most of the other runners were in thermals (it's winter here).
    I have multiple sclerosis and overheating triggers my symptoms. Showing off my flabby arms was bad, but an ms relapse is worse.
    Please don't judge people you don't know who are just getting on with doing their own thing. They may have their reasons.
    3ydq5o0m3ane.jpg

This is amazing! My mom has MS so I definitely know the struggles you are facing every day. So proud of you for doing this . . . and love your NB shoes . . . I have very similar ones, at least they look the same :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    In the summer, my husband does yard work shirtless. He also runs shirtless if it's hot. Sometimes he starts out with a t-shirt on, but then takes it off. He's in great shape, but he's definitely not looking for attention. No one has ever said anything to him or honked at him.

I don't have the confidence to wear just a sports bra - I've had 3 kids so a stretched out belly with stretch marks definitely would scare the little kids :) I wear a tankini/skirt bathing suit for swimming/beach. No one needs to see my saddlebags/cellulite either!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I live opposite an office block. Whilst I don't yet run outside in just a sports bra and leggings/shorts, I'm pretty sure they regularly get an eyeful. When it's super hot I also pod about my flat nearly naked. More eyefuls. IDGAF.