All calories may not be equal

Options

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This is getting silly. I started out on mfp reading packets and weighing what I normally eat. What i normally eat is a mixture of packaged and cooked from scratch. It wasn't hard. I basically learnt that the big pile of Jersey royals was all of 125kcal and not in need of cutting back, for example. DH did the same and learnt that unless he seriously cut back his bread consumption, he'd never stay within his daily target.

If you buy a single serving ready meal, it's a little pointless weighing it unless it seems really out as the proportions of many of the ingredients vary widely, anyhow. Plus, I might, say, serve myself a couple of tablespoons of fried rice, but only eat half of it, to mop up some sauce, then pick the road out of the rest and eat those. I find it safer to (over) estimate what I eat as a proportion of the packet. Being pernickety about weighing everything only works for foods that are pretty homogeneous.

(Edit, I leave the road on the side of my plate, but do eat the peas, if there's no tarmac embedded in them. Stupid autocorrect)
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    And the kids have ocd tendencies as part of their asd. It's hellish, sometimes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    VividVegan wrote: »
    Don't know if the following OCD comment(s) was referring to my original one (that implied my diagnosed and struggle with OCD and MFP) but basically people with OCD often obsess about small things. Just like when I joined MFP and started counting every calorie, I double checked everything and became obsessive over it and its been time consuming. My step-mother has been helping me break this cycle of obsessing over things for years. She's a psychologist with a PHD. With me, the less I know, the better. It didn't hurt my progress before joining MFP anyways. My first 50 pound loss or so was completely intuitive. Have lost a few from MFP but no doubt, its harder (IMO).

Nope, I don't give pushback to people who actually have OCD and say that weighing triggers them.

It's people who throw around internet diagnoses for conditions they don't understand who get pushback.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Have any of you people with OCD ever considered it is just a nutrient deficiency?

To whom are you referring? I don't believe I've seen anyone here say they have OCD.

Nice try. You're trying to make me obesseively look at all the posts to tally who does or doesn't have OCD. I see what you did there.

You can't tell who has OCD from reading their posts. Was this a joke?
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    I was trying to make two points:

1) If calorie counting, weighing and measuring is too difficult or you just don't want to do it, start off with packaged foods, eggs, etc. that just requires counting.

2) I never said counting, weighing and measuring is OCD. I said a LIFETIME of counting, weighing and measuring is OCD. You've been counting, weighing and measuring for a year and you reached your goal. That one year has trained you how to eat. And as I said above, if you gain two pounds, start counting, measuring and weighing again to lose the two pounds.

Sheesh!

You failed on both counts.

1) Using pre-packaged foods could very well lead someone to over eat. Most pre-packaged foods I've weighed are well over their stated calories counts, especially my eggs--which are consistently an egg and half. With a small deficit when I was close to my goal weight, everything mattered.

2) Since no one here has been calorie counting since the day their were born, to refer to your "lifetime" term, this point is completely irrelevant. Unless you now want to debate how many years constitutes a "lifetime," it's done.

It's a shame you're still tossing around OCD like it's an insult and not a mental illness with which people must live. Please stop.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I was trying to make two points:

1) If calorie counting, weighing and measuring is too difficult or you just don't want to do it, start off with packaged foods, eggs, etc. that require no counting, weighing and measuring.

2) I never said counting, weighing and measuring is OCD. I said a LIFETIME of counting, weighing and measuring is OCD. You've been counting, weighing and measuring for a year and you reached your goal. That one year has trained you how to eat. And as I said above, if you gain two pounds, start counting, measuring and weighing again to lose the two pounds.

Sheesh!

Yes, you have said all that and you are still wrong.

Like I said, some of us have more goals than a healthy weight that require as much accuracy as we can accomplish. That's not OCD. That's being dedicated to something you ENJOY and working towards goals.

So when you have a salad with lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, olives, etc., you actually ENJOY weighing and measuring each of them.

Really?

I actually enjoy weighing them. I also weigh and log all my beverages. I enjoy watching my trends, seeing the numbers. And I COMPLETELY enjoyed losing 80 lbs doing it. No stress, no brain strain....in maintenance for the last four months, and I'm still weighing, logging, and enjoying doing so...and still not OCD.

Me too! I love stats and numbers! Not a calorie counting fraternity, more like a geeky math club. #proudmember :wink:
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Have any of you people with OCD ever considered it is just a nutrient deficiency?

To whom are you referring? I don't believe I've seen anyone here say they have OCD.

Nice try. You're trying to make me obesseively look at all the posts to tally who does or doesn't have OCD. I see what you did there.

I'm not going to go tally and count who has OCD from their posts. As gonetothedogs19 points out, if I pay attention to all those little details, I'd have OCD myself. I'm not falling for SLLRunner's trick to have me give myself OCD.

This still makes no sense to me. You're not going to "give yourself" OCD by counting post, calories, stamps, pennies, petals, butterflies or anything else. Please stop mocking a mental illness.

Well of course you can't from counting calories. Everyone's math is off by a factor of 1,000 anyway.

1000 is exaggerated. I've read that people underestimate ~170 calories a day. That can impact if there is a small deficit
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

I'm not going to go tally and count who has OCD from their posts. As gonetothedogs19 points out, if I pay attention to all those little details, I'd have OCD myself. I'm not falling for SLLRunner's trick to have me give myself OCD.

This still makes no sense to me. You're not going to "give yourself" OCD by counting post, calories, stamps, pennies, petals, butterflies or anything else. Please stop mocking a mental illness.

Well of course you can't from counting calories. Everyone's math is off by a factor of 1,000 anyway.

Are you referring to the study that says people underestimate by 1,000 calories? Not the same as being off by a factor of 1,000.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36988065
    http://www.behaviouralinsights.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/16-07-12-Counting-Calories-Final.pdf
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Do people not cook from recipes anymore? Is that not basically basically counting calories? Or is just the input of the food into the app the OCD part?

Weighing ingredients to make a cake is OCD.

You must have never tried/will never try to cook any of the recipes Modernist Cuisine puts out. Or lurked the uber-serious baking forums to scrape recipes/troubleshoot baking problems. Everything is in grams and/or Baker's percentages.