Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I just took the trash down with my shirt off.

I hope I didn't traumatize any kids.

I'm sure your trash bag wasn't a parent yet, it will be okay.

burn level: Rome
  • Marthix
    Marthix Posts: 11 Member
    To be totally honest, it'd be nice to see more females wear regular shorts and sports bras at places like a beach...I think it's a little over-the-top with bikinis...I know it may be to show off one's body...same with a dude when he is shirtless...but seriously c'mon people. Cover up.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Marthix wrote: »
    To be totally honest, it'd be nice to see more females wear regular shorts and sports bras at places like a beach...I think it's a little over-the-top with bikinis...I know it may be to show off one's body...same with a dude when he is shirtless...but seriously c'mon people. Cover up.

Sarcasm, right? You needed a winky guy!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I am surprised by the number of people offended by shirtless men or assuming that men without shirts are just showing off. It just seems totally common in the summer. Have a pickup game of basketball and it is shirts and skins, go out fishing, running, yard work, or just chilling out in the yard and people are shirtless. Certainly a lot of them that don't have anything to show off, they are just being comfortable.
    I know I see a few of those 70 year old joggers without shirts around my city... more power to them. I wish I could go as well as they are.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Tomm88 wrote: »
    Not trying to offend its just the way it is, female nipples are a no no, if a girl walks around on a beach topless there its made a huge thing of. I'm not by any means saying its a bad thing its just what i see. Before i moved here i lived most of my life in the U.K its exactly the same there.

Oh I wouldn't disagree, just anticipating the butthurt that might emerge.

In the UK we manage to reconcile a reasonable degree of economic liberalism with a socially conservative outlook whilst maintaining a dewy eyed reflection on a glorious past where the economy was largely state organised.

It's stunning that people manage to hold that in their heads.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    As long as you are comfortable with whatever you choose to wear, or not wear, who cares what anyone else thinks about it? Kudos to all who get out their and do something, anything, to get in some exercise.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Tomm88 wrote: »
    Not trying to offend its just the way it is, female nipples are a no no, if a girl walks around on a beach topless there its made a huge thing of. I'm not by any means saying its a bad thing its just what i see. Before i moved here i lived most of my life in the U.K its exactly the same there.

Oh I wouldn't disagree, just anticipating the butthurt that might emerge.

In the UK we manage to reconcile a reasonable degree of economic liberalism with a socially conservative outlook whilst maintaining a dewy eyed reflection on a glorious past where the economy was largely state organised.

It's stunning that people manage to hold that in their heads.

Bwahahahaaaa
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Really everyone should run shirtless. It will improve heart health.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/15/sun-exposure.aspx

I'd trip over me boobs.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2016
    ouryve wrote: »
    Really everyone should run shirtless. It will improve heart health.
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/07/15/sun-exposure.aspx

I'd trip over me boobs.

You could pierce the nips and get a chain around your neck to stop them from dragging. I can say that won't prevent them from bouncing up and giving you a concussion though. Best be caging them when they hang too low or bounce too high.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I sure hope so... my ideal beachwear is a thong bikini bottom & nothing else. *waits for someone to project their own personal dressing preferences onto me to proclaim me a slutty show-off*
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Zara11 wrote: »

I sure hope so... my ideal beachwear is a thong bikini bottom & nothing else. *waits for someone to project their own personal dressing preferences onto me to proclaim me a slutty show-off*

how-you-doing-o.gif
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited August 2016
    Someone asked about dress code in the beach. There is a time and place for shedding the clothes and when you are in a beach, it's completely appropriate as 90% of the crowd is either in the water or enjoying the shores.

Thanks for confirmation. Appropriateness police.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Zara11 wrote: »

how-you-doing-o.gif

*whispers* I despise tan lines. DESPISE.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 522 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Who hurt you, OP. Tell me.

This comment made me laugh

I'll now picture this comment in a few threads to come
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2016
    As a runner for 25+ years I am not offended at all if men go shirtless or women wear a sports bra with shorts. I live in the south and it is hot and humid running outside especially during the summer. I wear as little as possible due to the heat but always wear a top.

It also does not bother me if the person is heavy, flabby or not muscular. They are exercising for health and fitness and should be commended for at least trying to improve their lifestyle.

If it bothers you, don't look.

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member

Huh...? You want females to wear regular clothing and not bathing suits at the beach?
  • CreativeGuy504
    CreativeGuy504 Posts: 16 Member
    I don't care if the guy is fat or fit. Put an effing shirt on. You're not at home lounging around half naked, you are out in public.

When i see a shirtless guy jogging around the neighborhood, my first thought is he's thinking "look at me, look at me". Same thing goes for women bouncing around in their tiny sports bra and even smaller shorts.
    When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to be ogled/validated by passing complete strangers, so i tried to look as daggy and unattractive as possible.

That's precisely my issue: why should someone else have to dress differently when they work out simply because you have a problem with it?

• CreativeGuy504
    CreativeGuy504 Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2016
    I don't care if the guy is fat or fit. Put an effing shirt on. You're not at home lounging around half naked, you are out in public.

When i see a shirtless guy jogging around the neighborhood, my first thought is he's thinking "look at me, look at me". Same thing goes for women bouncing around in their tiny sports bra and even smaller shorts.
    When i used to walk/jog around the streets i would wear baggy shorts and tshirt, because i have no desire or need to be ogled/validated by passing complete strangers, so i tried to look as daggy and unattractive as possible.

So because you are running around in baggy clothes judging other people, you are better than the guy running shirtless minding his own business?

Where did say I was better? Some people love getting attention, other aren't fussed about it or want/need it, i just happen to fall in the latter category.

To each their own. I think someone running shirtless to make themselves more comfortable while exercising and improving their health, is far more productive than someone judging them because of it.