August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Can I just say, I am so ready for the fall? I mean don't get me wrong, I definitely feel stronger from the running I've been doing in the heat/humidity (first time I've ever made a point of training in it) but I am getting heartily sick of it, and am so ready for some brisk, chilly runs!

I'll second that 100%.
    By the way, your long-run post was quite the hit with my running friends on FB. :wink:
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - I promise to post pictures when I get back, I'm so excited!
    @AdrianChr92 - That's an amazing 5k time, congratulations!!
    @RespectTheKitty - Good work on getting up for your run! I continuously tell myself I'm going to do that and have yet to actually do it.
    @ariceroni - Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope it starts to get better and that you can let off some steam with the bike riding! Super frustrating being side-lined - sending positives vibes your way!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support!

Running Goal: 13 of I QUIT :-p
    Non-running goals: Take my strength training more seriously this month/Lose 5lbs (dang it!)[/i]

Super foggy this morning. My hair was all wet from it. Does being in fog make anyone else claustrophobic? LOL

You and I are in the exact same boat. I'm trying to lose 5 pounds while also cross-training to help with my injury. I started You Are Your Own Gym and so far I love it. I'm super sore today and feel like I'm getting a great workout. I hope you start to feel better soon - I know how frustrating it is!

Yes, so frustrating. But I suppose now is a good time to get ahold of my bad eating habits while I'm not starving from running. LOL I mostly use Fitness Blender for my strength but sometimes just do my own workouts of my favorite moves.

I'm sending some of you ladies friend requests because I need some accountability to actually complete my diary and hit my calorie goal. If I didn't add you, feel free to add me instead :-D
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree @Somebody_Loved Since I'm not running I thought it be a great time to get my food dialed in and work on a stretching/strengthening routine. I don't think I've done either at all in the 8.7 weeks that have past.

Today I got a new 2 piece swimsuit today. I think I'm realizing that my last 5 pounds are probably more of a gain 5+ pounds of glute/leg muscle thing.

Thanks for the FR! I'll try to be helpful and most supportive!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    My cats are obsessed with a rat. It's hiding up in the front bushes. I think it's time to throw some bait in the attic for good measure. It's like a kitty olympic event. Chase, chase, stare at it, make that silly "come here I'm happy to see you" noise, lay around, mama pet me I'm good, run inside and eat quickly, check all the bushes, lay in the dirt and wait to chase it some more. Least they are occupied.

Ha ha! My boyfriend and I were trying to come up with doggie olympic events. We decided Pandora (my blue heeler/ who-knows-what mix) would be very competitive at squirrel chasing, and Buster (his 1 year old German shepherd) would do well in fetch - both long and short distances. @shanaber I bet Hobbes would be a multi-sport olympian!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @cljoe7 Haha! My dogs' only talent is barking at the shadows in the middle of the night! I do have a border collie that likes to try to herd my cats. He just stupid. :smiley: poor thing needs some cattle.
  • DayLi77
    Options
    Arrgh! Don't know why the one photo posted sideways...sorry!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    @cljoe7 They're adorable!!!!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    You are all welcome to add me as a friend here as well if you want! :smiley:
  • DayLi77
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Thanks!
    @Elise4270 Yeah, Pan could use a few sheep to keep her busy too :smiley: She's from the Navajo reservation, and definitely a herder. Perhaps we could add cat herding to our Dog Olympic events.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    My poor little dachshund would have to be in the Doggie Special Olympics. He has to use a handicap ramp to get up ONE step in our back door. He turned 15 this month and has had typical dachshund back trouble. It was pretty funny though last winter, he became a runner! I only walk him 5 houses down the street but after each walk down, he'd run so fast back home! It was hilarious to see.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Thanks!
    @Elise4270 Yeah, Pan could use a few sheep to keep her busy too :smiley: She's from the Navajo reservation, and definitely a herder. Perhaps we could add cat herding to our Dog Olympic events.

Mox could use some sheep too.
    i don't know if she has decided if she is a herding collie or a guarding collie.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Loving all the dogs.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree @Elise4270 - FR accepted! The food part has been hard for me. I got used to eating a certain way while peak training for the marathon, and now I have to scale way back, especially since I'm injured. So far I've only gained 3 lbs or so so I'd like to stop that trend now.

I will say that I did strength training yesterday and I felt a sense of accomplishment from that. Hopefully that helps keep me sane while recovering.

Love seeing all the dogs! I attempted to get my cat out on a leash and that was a big no-go.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I ran into an interesting conundrum regarding the Long Run being between 25% and 35 % of weekly mileage, maybe @Stoshew71 can address it.

I was planning on just doing a 10 mile LR on Saturday, since I'm running a 5k mud run with other teachers from my school (not competitive), with my other runs, my week looks like this 4-9-4-8-4-10-3 with the 2 runs on Sat. For the first time ever, My LR falls UNDER 25% of my weekly mileage.

I'm really tempted to just tack on another mile to it to get to 25%, since my week looks like it will be 43 miles the way it is. Just an interesting thing, never had to worry about the LR being off the short end, I've always had more issues with them being too long!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I ran into an interesting conundrum regarding the Long Run being between 25% and 35 % of weekly mileage, maybe @Stoshew71 can address it.

I was planning on just doing a 10 mile LR on Saturday, since I'm running a 5k mud run with other teachers from my school (not competitive), with my other runs, my week looks like this 4-9-4-8-4-10-3 with the 2 runs on Sat. For the first time ever, My LR falls UNDER 25% of my weekly mileage.

I'm really tempted to just tack on another mile to it to get to 25%, since my week looks like it will be 43 miles the way it is. Just an interesting thing, never had to worry about the LR being off the short end, I've always had more issues with them being too long!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are weeks on my marathon plan that calls for 15 miles on a 65 mile week, making the LR just short of 25%. You also gotta look at what you are training for. With a half marathon a lot of training programs call it good to get to 10-11 miles, so you are way ahead of the game since you've already done 14. Your risks of injury also goes up doing another run the same day as your long run. Any chance you could bump the LR to Sunday?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are weeks on my marathon plan that calls for 15 miles on a 65 mile week, making the LR just short of 25%. You also gotta look at what you are training for. With a half marathon a lot of training programs call it good to get to 10-11 miles, so you are way ahead of the game since you've already done 14. Your risks of injury also goes up doing another run the same day as your long run. Any chance you could bump the LR to Sunday?

Yeah, I'm thinking about moving the LR to Sunday, but since that's my only rest day, that's an issue for me too. I should say that the mud run will be more like a walk with obstacles, considering who I'll be running with. Good thing I have a couple days to get it kind of sorted out.