August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal.....run

8/1 3.12....and I struggled through that!
    8/2 snorkel 4 hours
    8/3 life
    8/4 more life
    8/5 3.15
    8/6 4.00
    8/7 lazy (can't blame life) (however, I DID mow the 2 acres and muck out the chicken coop, so I wasn't a complete slug....)
    8/8 5.83
    8/9 snorkel 3 hours
    8/10 3.2
    8/11 snorkel 2 hours
    8/12 3.30
    8/13 3.57
    8/14 rest
    8/15 4.10
    8/16 In the immortal words of @mbaker566 ....nope
    8/17 5.87

Total 36.14

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual 5k runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo 7/21
    ......Lead Singer in August or September
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Ended up extending my rides to/from my tri team bike ride, and got home with 112 miles on the bike at a 19MPH avg. As much as I was tempted to make it a full ironman day with 26.2 miles of running, I avoided the temptation, and just did 3 on the treadmill 9tonight during some thunderstorms while watching the 200s (men-semi, women-finals). According to my garmin w. heart rate & power meter data, the 6.5 hours of exercise translated into 3100 calories. Still, I only ended up eating about 1000 of them, and decided to just bank the weight loss, as it'll do more good at my next race, and I had already eaten 180g of protein for the day.

As much as folks here seem to be enjoying embracing the suck, given my bike/swim volume, I'm totally 100% embracing the treadmill here in the Florida summer heat as I'm getting in a pretty massive amount of mileage outside up north in 80-85 degree weather, and I otherwise find myself cutting my running volume in half when forced to embrace the suck of a 95% humidity Florida run.

8/2 - 11 miles (w. 2 at MP)
    8/3 - 4 miles (w. 2 miles near threshold HR)
    8/5 - 12 miles
    8/6 - 11 miles
    8/7 - 20 miles
    8/8 - 7 miles (w. 6 at MP)
    8/9 - 11.5 miles
    8/11 - 10 miles
    8/12 - 20 miles (last 5 at MP)
    8/13 - 2 miles
    8/14 - 6 miles
    8/15 - 10 miles
    8/16 - 9 miles
    8/17 - 3 miles

Total: 136.5 miles, 4 session with MP/threshold HR/speedwork running
    Goal: 200 miles, 8 faster sessions
    Remaining; 63.5 miles, 4 faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Embrace the suck folks. It's only the first phase of the complain/accept/improve cycle our body has and you can't skip any

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

August 1 - 6.6 km - V.Easy/7:00
    August 2 - 7.4 km - Reps/4:00
    August 3 - 7.6 km - V.Easy/6:50
    August 4 - 6.4 km - Easy/6:15
    August 5 - 12+4km - Tempo&Reps and Easy/4:50
    August 6 - 5.0 km - Easy/6:05
    August 7 - 10.4km - Long(ish)Run/6:17
    August 8 - 3.6 km - Easy/6:00
    August 9 - 6.0 km - Easy/6:07
    August 10- 10.2km - Speedwork/4:20
    August 11- 6.0 km - Tempo/4:45
    August 12- 8.0 km - Easy/5:55
    August 13- 9.4 km - Easy/6:30
    August 14- 12.8km - Long run/6:00
    August 15- Rest
    August 16- 11.0km - Time trial/3:59
    August 17- 8.0 km - Easy/5:50

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    25/09: Black Sea 10k
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

@Elise4270 :smiley: Been there, done that, ran out of brain bleach to try and forget it! :smiley:

Bwahaahaa! Cracking up at the "brain bleach" comment. I could definitely use more of that! @Elise4270 I think you should go somewhere with year-round beautiful running/ swimming weather...no humidity, mosquitos, polar vortexes....is there an actual place like this on Earth? Definitely avoid Chicago area/ midwest US in general...

I half looked for a job this morning. Nothing looked promising. It has to be somewhere with a refinery, idk or something I can do without a pay cut.. Maybe Washington state or Oregon where Oiselle is. Wait. Aren't there bears that way? Alabama and Florida are absolutely out too. What about Tennessee? Lol!

DH is in recovery. Brain bleach sounds great (margarita style). So I may have to sneak around like a teen. :blush:

@luluinca You're here. You're a runner :wink:

@Elise4270 - California (northern and southern) has lots of refineries and oil companies... my first job was for UNOCAL working with the Reservoir Engineering group :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

@Elise4270 :smiley: Been there, done that, ran out of brain bleach to try and forget it! :smiley:

Bwahaahaa! Cracking up at the "brain bleach" comment. I could definitely use more of that! @Elise4270 I think you should go somewhere with year-round beautiful running/ swimming weather...no humidity, mosquitos, polar vortexes....is there an actual place like this on Earth? Definitely avoid Chicago area/ midwest US in general...

I half looked for a job this morning. Nothing looked promising. It has to be somewhere with a refinery, idk or something I can do without a pay cut.. Maybe Washington state or Oregon where Oiselle is. Wait. Aren't there bears that way? Alabama and Florida are absolutely out too. What about Tennessee? Lol!

DH is in recovery. Brain bleach sounds great (margarita style). So I may have to sneak around like a teen. :blush:

@luluinca You're here. You're a runner :wink:

Come on, you would love Alabama. Well northern Alabama. We are 90 minutes from Nashville. So kind of Tennesee. Actually if I drive north for 20 minutes, I cross into the Tennesee border. But running is big here. Very fun and supportive environment. You could join a race within driving distance just about every weekend if you wanted to. Heck, most of them I could run to. LOL

We have no bears around that I am aware of, but there were a few coyote sightings. :open_mouth:

Well, I did a job search and there are opportunities. Makes me regret not finishing that Masters degree in chemistry. I'm making ~90k with a B.S. (hard to walk away from. That's dumb luck, I'm not that smart. Okay yes I am). It does sound like an ideal area. I bookmarked a few jobs.. DH is over being mad at me for the moment... I really could use a running community. We have coyotes here too. They don't bother me. My dad's family is in Alabama.... So tempted.

Think I'll make sure my resume is updated in case something comes along I can't pass up. Or until dh gets mad at me again :wink:

Not sure about the job market on your line of work, but as far as running friendly, I think my neighborhood is pretty nice. We also have a race nearby almost every weekend. But here in San Diego, we do get whinny about weather, we start to say "too hot" before it hits 80F and "too cold" when it gets below 60F :wink:

I'm with you there @mom3over40! I am in No Central Orange County and we whine as well about the temps but it is much nicer in San Diego! Also there are SO many races in San Diego and a great running community. If a similar one exists up this way I have yet to find it and there are not nearly the races there are in San Diego!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @Orphia That's some crazy impressive daily mileage!!

@kristinegift Coming from you that's a real compliment! :smile:

@Orphia Awesome job on the fitbit! I'm on the Earth badge and have about 4000 miles to go to hit the next!

@greenolivetree Wow! Amazing! Wait, there's a badge after Earth? Nice.

When does this get easier? More enjoyable (as in, at all enjoyable)? Today's run/ walk in the park sucked but I stuck it out. Temps were ok, but humidity was high & my breathing was tough despite the advair, nose spray, albuterol...ugh... My thoughts went from "why the *kitten* am I doing this again?" to "this sucks. I'm not a runner, who am I kidding?" to "I guess I can stick it out..." to "*kitten*-it, no I can't" to "whew. Finished." I try to push out all the negative thoughts, and I feel good (physically & emotionally) for having done it, but man. If I stick with it, at some point it won't feel torturous-to-tolerable and I'll actually enjoy running...right?

@cljoe7 It does get easier! I used to have loads of thoughts of just giving up while running. I'd almost forgotten about that, even though it was less than a year ago.

Great comment about pushing out the negative thoughts. I'm a huge fan of cognitive behavioural therapy.

My motto in life is, "Don't believe everything you think. Challenge your thoughts." Works in everything, and every time you do it, it helps the next time.

2 August – 10.1 km
    4 August – Body Balance then 13 km
    6 August – 8.1 km including parkrun
    7 August – 21.3 km
    9 August – 10.3 km
    11 August – 10.1 km
    13 August – 8.3 km including parkrun
    14 August – 15 km
    16 August – 12 km
    17 August – 10 km
    18 August – 10 km

Goal: 161 km / 100 miles
    Total: 128.2 km / 79.6 miles

10 km this morning not caring about my heartrate or speed, and exploring an out-of-town road. Just lovely.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    3rd August - 7km
    4th August - 12km

8th - 5km
    10th - 5.5km
    11th - 3?km aprox.
    13th - 5km
    14th - 2km It turned into a walk when it got too steep and then my mum called me, so I never got to finish my run

15th - 5km
    16th - 7km
    18th - 14km trail marking day!

Logged 16km; might have covered an extra k or two, but plenty of walking.
    Did it over the whole day, couple of different sections. My brother and I mostly drove the car to the far end of a section and worked our way back along the trail. Lots of hills and super pretty!
    I want to the 20km trail next year!

63.5/100km
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    02/08 4 miles
    03/08 4 miles
    17/08 4 miles - missed 2 full weeks, the weather's been shockingly bad but this was the best run I've had since April/May. I've fallen behind in reading everyone posts again. I was so annoyed with myself for not getting out that I couldn't bring myself to read the posts. Maybe if I had it would have motivated me to brace the wind and rain and go. I must buy a rain proof jacket as I've only got a wind breaker.

exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - nice run! I'm no expert but I don't like to take advil or aleve before a run because I'm afraid it might mask something that is hurting. My son was a pitcher and took advil before pitching one game and pulled a ligament that required Tommy John surgery. So I think I am just nervous because of that.

I like to run 5 miles in the morning, but this week, second week of school, I'm just exhausted and keep sleeping an extra few minutes and therefore missing 5 miles each day. I'll get it back next week! Just takes a while to get used to the pattern.

It didn't seem as hot/humid this morning and I felt really good. Not sure if I'm just used to it or what - didn't have time to check weather.

8/1 - 5.1 miles
    8/2 - 4.6 miles with intervals
    8/3 - 4.6 miles + Strength Training
    8/4 - 5.67 miles
    8/5 - 5.1 miles + Strength Training
    8/6 - 43 miles biking
    8/7 - 30 miles biking
    8/8 - 3.1 miles
    8/9 - 18 miles biking
    8/10 - strength training
    8/11 - 5.2 miles
    8/12 - 5.3 miles + strength training
    8/13 - 44 miles biking
    8/14 - 44 miles biking
    8/15 - 4.25 miles
    8/16 - 4.6 miles w/Intervals
    8/17 - strength training
    8/17 - 4.5 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Should have said the aleve was for my migraine. It was gone by mile 5
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well, the weather was cool (as in 82 degrees cool) and overcast for my entire run. At this time of year, I don't think I could ask for much more. The humidity was lower than it had been for a good month, and there was even a breeze. I forgot what it felt like to run in any kind of moving air! While the breeze felt good, I forgot that I can't breathe in it if it hits my face the right way. Oh, well. It was definitely a nice change of weather pace.

I decided to do a loop that would allow me to stop at home twice throughout my run. Because if this, it added several minutes to my time, but I'm not too concerned with that for training. First stop at home, just after 3 miles, and I had some water and a little bit of fruit. Second stop at home, at nearly 6.5 miles, I just had some water. I decided to finish out the last 1.5 miles by running the hill (approximately a 4% grade) in my neighborhood that I live in the middle of. From the end of my block to the dead end at the top, it's approximately .25 miles. By the end of the run, I ran that hill a total of 5 times.

My calves and hips started to seriously stiffen up around the 6 mile mark, I think it was simply a fatigue issue, because they loosened up not too long after I stopped and everything seems to be fine, again.

At this point, I'm not entirely sure how I managed to run a half marathon in February because I feel like I am nowhere close to being ready to run another one a month from now.

08/02 7.00 mi
    08/04 3.00 mi
    08/06 6.23 mi
    08/09 4.00 mi
    08/15 4.00 mi
    08/17 8.00 mi
    TOTAL 32.23 mi

Upcoming 2016 Races:
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    09/24 – The Great Pumpkin Run 5K
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    8/17 - 5k race.
    32 miles done with goal of 70.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    This is what surprises me...............I decided yesterday that I was tired. 4 days in a row running and two of those were also heavy lifting days. I thought it made sense to take a rest day today and maybe get a short slow run in tomorrow instead of this morning. I'm sticking to that, but right now I wish I was running this morning...... :p

I'll swim this afternoon but still wish I was running instead. My first 5K is on Sunday so I'm trying to be smart. It seems like it's going to be easy for me at this point but I really have no idea what to expect so I want to go in rested I think.

I'm excited to begin training next week for a 10K.............that doesn't feel like sucking it up yet but I imagine when I begin I'll wish I'd signed up for another 5K instead. ;)

Have a great run today everyone!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When does this get easier? More enjoyable (as in, at all enjoyable)? Today's run/ walk in the park sucked but I stuck it out. Temps were ok, but humidity was high & my breathing was tough despite the advair, nose spray, albuterol...ugh... My thoughts went from "why the *kitten* am I doing this again?" to "this sucks. I'm not a runner, who am I kidding?" to "I guess I can stick it out..." to "*kitten*-it, no I can't" to "whew. Finished." I try to push out all the negative thoughts, and I feel good (physically & emotionally) for having done it, but man. If I stick with it, at some point it won't feel torturous-to-tolerable and I'll actually enjoy running...right?
    I am one of those people who runs, but I am not in love with running. I've been a "runner" off an on (because of injuries) for just about six years, now, and I still do not necessarily like it. I do it so I can drink beer and eat nachos and not be 350 lbs. At 5'4" and 145 lbs, I just squeak into the "healthy weight category," and at the ripe old age of 32, I have been diagnosed with hypertension despite my running efforts (thank you wonderful genetics). I like to think that running is helping keep me off medication, which is something I fight for every time I have my BP checked, though I'm not sure how much longer any doctor will allow me to convince them I don't need meds. Running is also the most convenient form of aerobic exercise for me, since I don't have a road bike, I hate all aerobic gym equipment, I don't have the space at home to do any kind of videos, and I oftentimes have a hard time fitting an aerobic class I like into my schedule. As far as races are concerned, I register for two reasons:
    1. I like the atmosphere of races, and I like to use it as a consistent and official measurement of my abilities.
    2. They provide the motivation I need to keep running because I don't want to get to a race and either make a *kitten* out of myself or finish last (or anywhere near last, to be honest).
    Still, I still almost always have the same thoughts you do when I'm out there, and I cannot ever wait for the run to be over, whether it's 3 miles or 13 miles. I may be the exception, but at this point, I'm not entirely certain I will ever really like running.

My cat is part squirrel, so she would freak if I tried to: A) put a leash on her, and B) go outdoors. lol
    This is my girl cat. She freaks out when I put the harness on her, and she freaks out even more when I take her outside - she stays low to the ground, ears back, meowing, crying, and trying to scratch the door open to get back inside. I call her "anxiety cat." She has issues with change and new things. For example, every year when I remove the Christmas tree after the holidays are over, she sits in the corner where it was and sulks for a few days. She's really pretty pathetic!

Well, I did a job search and there are opportunities. Makes me regret not finishing that Masters degree in chemistry. I'm making ~90k with a B.S. (hard to walk away from. That's dumb luck, I'm not that smart. Okay yes I am). It does sound like an ideal area. I bookmarked a few jobs.. DH is over being mad at me for the moment... I really could use a running community. We have coyotes here too. They don't bother me. My dad's family is in Alabama.... So tempted.

Think I'll make sure my resume is updated in case something comes along I can't pass up. Or until dh gets mad at me again :wink:
    Um...I want to do what you do! I make about 65% of your salary WITH a masters that I paid for completely on my own, which I will be paying off for about the next 28 years. I thought my MBA would allow me to advance and get ahead. I was nearing 30, and decided I better just bite the bullet and get it instead of waiting for an opportunity for someone to pay for it for me (or at least part of it.) I appear to have been very wrong in my assumptions, though I am actively seeking new employment. Fingers cross it actually gets me somewhere this time, because my current job, which I accepted just over two years ago, appears to be another giant, boring dead end. I guess this is what I get, though, for residing in middle-of-nowhere, Pennsylvania, and attempting to relocate with the promise of a job waiting for me is proving to be quite the difficult task.

5512bf wrote: »
    My gym has all the treadmills set to shutdown at an hour. There are like 50 of the silly things and at least 10-15 always available. I tried in vain to get them to unlock a few to unlimited so I could do longer speedwork sessions but corporate refused. I found the manual online and reset one on my own one day, then like 2 weeks later they rearranged the gym and I couldn't find it again. Fortunately it was almost spring so I started back outside. If you look up the model number of the treadmill there are instructions online to get them to go longer. It only took a few minutes to get to the menu and do it.
    Hacking a treadmill - I love it! My last gym had giant signs all over the place requesting people adhere to their 30 minute time limit on all cardio machines. I completely ignored said signs unless there appeared to be people actively waiting for an open machine. I am currently gym-less, but I will be joining a different one whenever I decide I need a gym, again. I have no idea what their cardio machine rules are, but the few times I've been up there for classes, there always seems to be quite a few treadmills open. I will definitely keep this little tip in mind if they put time limits on the things.

ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - nice run! I'm no expert but I don't like to take advil or aleve before a run because I'm afraid it might mask something that is hurting. My son was a pitcher and took advil before pitching one game and pulled a ligament that required Tommy John surgery. So I think I am just nervous because of that.
    I find this interesting. After each of my hip injuries, I was actually told by both my PCP and my PT to take one Advil before a run and one Advil after to keep any swelling in check. I rarely ever do it, anymore, but I was for a while after I recovered from the injuries. I am a very anti-drug-unless-absolutely-completely-necessary kind of person, so I tend to avoid meds when I can help it (see BP reference above).
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Random note on running in the morning. Seeing bats going after bugs, and watching an orange/purple/gold sunrise ahead of me, with full dark and a full moon behind me, is all I really need to help me get going in the morning.

On the med thing. I hate my genetics. On BP meds, but since I started running, I got taken off my cholesterol meds. Got both those lovely problems from me dad. Unfortunately, the BP hasn't gone away, but at least now I can eat how I want and the cholesterol stays in normal range, due to running.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the run today as weather was cool and windy.
    18/8/16 run 7.1 km
    16/8/16 run 3.1 km
    9/8/16 run 6 km
    2/8/16 run 7.1 km
    1/8/16 run 6.6 km

Target: 29.9/70 km
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You are in the stage we call, "Embrace the suck!". Keep at it, and it will no longer suck, but then you stop improving.

Which is where I invented the mantra, "Invent new ways to make it suck."
    I know that if I want to Boston Qualify some day and continue to improve, then if it's easy and enjoyable, I am not doing enough to get to Boston. But that's just how I am wired, I am very goal orientated. If's it's not a challenge to me then I get bored and I go do something else.

Other people do have this zen attitude with running. They just go and run and are able to just zone out and forget the watch, forget the pace, forget the pain, and just run for the sake of running. No goals, no BQs, no PRs, just pure endorphines.
    SO. MUCH. THIS. Might have to print it out and poster it up or something.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    But here in San Diego, we do get whinny about weather, we start to say "too hot" before it hits 80F and "too cold" when it gets below 60F :wink:
    Went out to San Diego a few years ago in June, expecting, ya know, beachy weather.

BRRRRR! We didn't get out to "the beach" until after friggin' 1 o'clock in the afternoon, and had to pack it in because SWMBO was freezing by 4. And I was playing in the surf, but had to rent a blinkin' wetsuit, and still like to have froze my twig and berries off. And I was still a "large mammal" in those days, so had a well-functioning interior furnace!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    You are in the stage we call, "Embrace the suck!". Keep at it, and it will no longer suck, but then you stop improving.

Which is where I invented the mantra, "Invent new ways to make it suck."
    I know that if I want to Boston Qualify some day and continue to improve, then if it's easy and enjoyable, I am not doing enough to get to Boston. But that's just how I am wired, I am very goal orientated. If's it's not a challenge to me then I get bored and I go do something else.

Other people do have this zen attitude with running. They just go and run and are able to just zone out and forget the watch, forget the pace, forget the pain, and just run for the sake of running. No goals, no BQs, no PRs, just pure endorphines.
    SO. MUCH. THIS. Might have to print it out and poster it up or something.

Seriously, I love this. I understand that some people just run for pleasure, and relaxing, and enjoyment, but I'm constantly looking for the next goal or PR I can hit. I struggle with easy runs because I always feel like I should be pushing. Right now, my motivation of embracing the suck of summer running is running my first half marathon (I've done 1 before, but it was with an overuse injury that blew up at mile 6 and caused me to walk the 2nd half - failure in my crazy brain - and which led to my prolonged period of falling out of running), and getting back to my former 5k PR time of 22:50 (I have a long ways to go seeing as I'm at just under 29:00 right now). I'm not sure where/if it's going to stop, I always used to say I'd be happy maxing out at half marathons, but now I've already decided that I'm definitely going to go for a full marathon by the end of next year. I'm an all or nothing kind of person with exercise in general. When I get out of it, I am so lazy, but once I get back into it it's full-force addicted to it, lol.