Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @badnoodle --Wow, that's a lot of students! University level? I teach HS and classes start next week, but as of right now, I have 81 in my Junior Honors American Lit courses (3), and 41 in my Senior AP Lit and Composition courses (2). These are pretty low numbers, so I'm hoping I don't get a bunch of adds over the next couple of weeks. That's so frustrating about the scale--maybe it's just taking your body some time to catch up--I know it usually takes my scale about 3 weeks to catch up with my actual caloric intake. So if I cut my allowance this week, it would be another 2 weeks before the numbers on my scale start to drop.

@cj-- I hope you find the a position you really love with less drama. I'm a "no drama" type of person and am lucky to have wonderful colleagues in my department who are similar. Of course, we work with teenagers, so we're surrounded by their drama all the time which is probably why we try not to create our own. LOL

@nikki-- welcome!

@drea-- I've always wanted to visit BC, along with the Pacific NW of the US. Another place in Canada I'd love to visit is Banff--heard it's beautiful. I'm in Chicago, so it's quite a ways, and my last few more extravagant vacations have been to the Caribbean or Europe.

@mickey-- yes, stress certainly takes its toll. Sometimes, during the school year when I'm absolutely swamped with grading, I have to force myself to put my well-being first and go to the gym. However, that takes away from the time I have to grade, so the stress relief I get from the exercise is almost instantly negated by even more stress about getting all of my work finished. It's definitely a Catch-22.

@katrena-- I think it's great that you reached out for some company walking and for lunch. Thanks for the kudos about my goal-setting. I try to hold myself accountable, but am more successful some weeks than others. One thing I know for sure, if I didn't spell it all out ahead of time, none of it would get done. LOL

Wed Wish:
    My wish is that I can keep my momentum going toward my running goals once school starts next week. Or at the very least stay healthy. Last year, I had that horrible upper respiratory infection that kept me from doing any cardio for 8-10 weeks from Sept-Nov and it completely threw me off. The year before, I injured my shoulder in late Sept or early Oct that kept me from lifting and the PT for it cut into my gym time severely. This year, I just want to stay healthy and injury free!

Tuesday Goals:
    I have a few goals I want to accomplish before school starts Monday--
    1. clean fish tank
    2. get gunner to salon (appt. Friday)
    3. make a cheesecake for my DH's bosses (will make this on Wed. DONE and drop off on Thurs.)
    4. Finish reading The Road
    5. Finish reading The Plague

Fitness Goals for the month of August:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week: Week 1 = 10:32; Week 2 = 10:14
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 25:33 & 24:46; Week 2 =
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end

You vs Year Challenge:
    241 k done/ 759 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + lots of walking at Ren Faire
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + do dance videos WILL DO WED
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE + do dance videos DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner + do weights and abs videos
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym or mow lawn
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or mow lawn
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

@skinnyjean, This time i hope to get a routine into place that my workouts it becomes a habit! That will be my Wednesday Wish too!!

It has always been hard for me to stay consistent when my days get long I get overwhelmed with it work, taking care of family! (Which we all have responsibilities). I let the workouts slide but I am seeing that the missing part is taking care of myself! That is what work outs are!

Today has been pretty routine: which is good thing

I hope everyone has a good night see you tomorrow!

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,862 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Thursday Truth - I wanted to participate in the dance challenge RobinsEgg gave us but I have not. I like dancing but I dont think I am very good at it. Some day I'd like to take lessons but its not in the cards just now. Maybe I will start participating in the dance challenge tonight. I could come home from work. Have a v/f snack; something light. Then, get my groove on and let the good times roll! What kind of music should I dance to? Disco? Rock? Classical? Country? Something to think about while anticipating tonight!
  • rmorris81188
    rmorris81188 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

I am not going to hate on anyone at the gym i think its great how many people i see at 5am working out.
    I am a bigger women at 240 and trying to lose about 60 pounds so my husband and I can be more successful when time comes to start having babies. I know it is going to be a long journey and I am on the right path but I struggle almost every day with my confidence in this. This morning however was a big kick in my self esteem.

I did my morning workout an hour of cardio felt great sweaty and red in the face but great. i go take my shower so i can get ready for work. I am standing there gathering my things to get ready and keep my towel on to not scar anyone, and these two women are talking about their body building, cool, right on more power to you, but they were talking about how they need to lose 10 to 15 pounds and I was really confused and kinda of bummed out because i am over needing to lose 60 pounds and these very fit girls are now arguing about their excuses not to come in. I guess i dont understand why women feel the need to body shame themselves. Hearing women talk about themselves the way these girls were was beyond judgmental of themselves. Like if you were to stand in front of a mirror and pick out every flaw you had, except they didnt have a mirror. It makes you feel bad for them but then it started making me question myself and if i am really doing the right things with my health. Like i know working out is great and watching what i eat to a "T" is perfect but is it truly enough. idk I think i am rambling now but I wanted to get that off my chest for Thursday.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Thursday Truth - I wanted to participate in the dance challenge RobinsEgg gave us but I have not. I like dancing but I dont think I am very good at it. Some day I'd like to take lessons but its not in the cards just now. Maybe I will start participating in the dance challenge tonight. I could come home from work. Have a v/f snack; something light. Then, get my groove on and let the good times roll! What kind of music should I dance to? Disco? Rock? Classical? Country? Something to think about while anticipating tonight!

Hey MermaidPrincess ... you are the first person to express an interest in that September group challenge RobinsEgg mentioned ... and I'm so glad someone besides myself is thinking about doing it.

However, I don't think I want to commit to 5 dances every day in September! Here's what RobinsEgg wrote ...

"So I'm challenging everyone to step up for September's Challenge - I Challenge you to Dance to 5 songs a Day Every Day in September."

I did dancing in a week-long challenge a couple of weeks ago, that one was for 7 a day and I could only do 7 on one of the days. And I couldn't do it for all 7 days either!. So, I ended up with a 'fail' on that challenge!

As to your question about what to dance, etc ... just put on any music you like and move to it. Your body will start to move in time to the music and you will be surprised by how much you actually move about. For me, a lot of the movements I did looked like I was exercising to music or trying to learn modern jazz ( :) ) I think the real benefit of this is being on your feet and moving about for those of us with lead-weight feet and for those of us with lighter-than-air feet!

Anyone else interested in this?
  • Nikion901
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thursday Truth ...
    I keep copious records. I can't help myself. I just 'need' to. Doesn't matter if it's my food diary, or the spread sheet I keep of my morning vital signs. That habit probably grew out of my competitive nature, which I always thought was absent but now find it was just latent. I want to measure myself against what I did yesterday so I can try to do better today. I also want to compare how I'm doing with others working toward the same outcomes.

This probably grew out of my decision to give up keeping a daily 'diary' where you pour your heart out into a little book with a lock and key on it every night before going to sleep. At one time, I used to love reading the diaries of people from the centuries gone past, like the one I read from a farmer's wife written during the late 1700's. Even stuff like 'it rained today', or 'made soap today', or 'Clem got a haircut', were interesting to me. Sometimes I learn interesting tid-bits of information from the spread-sheets I keep.

For example ...
    A challenge I am in has a lot of people in it, some of whom are like me. I started keeping track of those like me, I call it 'the >200 group' There were 68 of us when the challenge started 8 weeks ago.

Last week, there were only 37 of us left. The rest, or most of them, have dropped out. A few might just have missed the deadline to report in, still the attrition rate has been high as the week before only 40 people weighed in.

That just goes to show how easy it is to give up.

As a matter of fact, I was technically a quitter in the last 2 weeks of the first challenge I joined. But I will not be a quitter again.

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Hi all!

Hey MermaidPrincess ... you are the first person to express an interest in that September group challenge RobinsEgg mentioned ... and I'm so glad someone besides myself is thinking about doing it.

However, I don't think I want to commit to 5 dances every day in September! Here's what RobinsEgg wrote ...

"So I'm challenging everyone to step up for September's Challenge - I Challenge you to Dance to 5 songs a Day Every Day in September."

I did dancing in a week-long challenge a couple of weeks ago, that one was for 7 a day and I could only do 7 on one of the days. And I couldn't do it for all 7 days either!. So, I ended up with a 'fail' on that challenge!

As to your question about what to dance, etc ... just put on any music you like and move to it. Your body will start to move in time to the music and you will be surprised by how much you actually move about. For me, a lot of the movements I did looked like I was exercising to music or trying to learn modern jazz ( :) ) I think the real benefit of this is being on your feet and moving about for those of us with lead-weight feet and for those of us with lighter-than-air feet!

Anyone else interested in this?

I would be willing to give it a try. Sometimes when I clean house and have the music blasting (and am drinking wine) I'll dance around, but otherwise, I am a lead foot, with 2 left feet, no natural sense of rhythm and zero grace. :smiley:
  • Oberon21
    Options
    badnoodle wrote: »
    Today was the first day of the semester, and I have 296 students. 194 and 100 in my freshman intro class, 2 in my senior seminar. Thank god I'm not also teaching our writing class. I'd go starkers.

The scale is really making me angry the past couple of weeks. I know what I've logged is correct, and should have lead to a couple pounds at least, but instead the number is going UP. :# But I'll keep plugging away, cause what else am I gonna do?

Sometimes it just works like that. You just have to keep at it and maybe try to mix it up a bit so you aren't hitting a plateau.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Hi, all, sorry I missed yesterday so will respond to the question from a few days ago today. I am getting my Ph.D in Organizational Leadership and Change. My planned dissertation is on How a Clique at the Leadership Level of an Organization Affects Employee Motivation and Creativity.

However, I met with my committee and after years of working on this same topic and planning a phenomenological study, my committee decided to tell me they didn't feel my topic and planned methodology were in sync. I was livid, A) you have had numerous chances to tell me this over the last 1.5 years we have been working together and B) I totally disagree. I have a DBA and did my last dissertation as phenomenological study and it was very similar, and I know this fits the criteria.

But there is a point where you have to go... I can fight these people (who have complete power over my success in finishing my dissertation) or I can suck it up and change tracks. I am choosing to change tracks. Luckily I just took a 3 month break from classes until my tuition reimbursement from work kicks in again, so I have time to redo this and submit my revised prospectus on the first day of class. That will be my focus and motivation.

And that leads me to Thursday's Truth:

I haven't been working that hard on my dissertation, and kind of skating through on research and time spent. I have been doing just enough to pass, and getting away with a lot because I am a good writer (that covers up a lot of faults). So, in all honesty, maybe I deserved the kick in the pants and can really apply myself now. We'll see. Sometimes I am a great talker and have all the best intentions, and don't follow through.

Like, no, I STILL haven't made it to the gym. Sigh.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    The scale is really making me angry the past couple of weeks. I know what I've logged is correct, and should have lead to a couple pounds at least, but instead the number is going UP. :# But I'll keep plugging away, cause what else am I gonna do?

Oh, me too! Plus I have been working out more to burn extra calories. However, I don't eat back my extra burned calories and maybe I should be afterall, or at least not have a low in my range of cals on the days I do more.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    dreawest wrote: »
    I have my Wednesday wish, it came to me this morning when my cousin shared a video of someone running down a mountain to catch enough wind to parachute down, it was a motivational thing about first you have to run and then you can fly. I saw it and thought 'I wish'. But then I thought why not, I already plan on trying ziplining when I'm at a healthier weight, I should do this too. And I will. But my wish is even bigger. I wish I get to a place where my body no longer holds me back from doing things and that I am adventurous enough to take on new experiences each year. I feel like having goals, even if its as simple as paddling different rivers on different trips, will help me celebrate my health and stick with maintenance (because I am going to get there this time!).

and @skinnyjeanz my family is off to Southern BC to visit my parents and play in the river. It will be a short trip, just 5 or 6 days, but we enjoy it a lot. I won't have the elliptical and will need to be careful with food but I will get in a decent amount of activity (aside from the 12 or so hour drive on either end).

I thought this idea of running then flying was lovely and such a great visual. You will get there!
  • Packergal27
    Packergal27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello and Happy Thursday, everyone. My name is Nan. I am a bigger woman who NEEDS to lose 150 lbs without much exercise. I have lower back pain, arthritic knees/wrists/elbows, Achilles tendonitis...and the list goes on. With all of this, it is virtually impossible for me to "exercise"/work out. Even standing at the sink to do dishes or doing the vacuuming is too much for me. :# I started MFP 1.5 yrs ago, and within 6 months lost 30 lbs. I've been stuck there, going up and down like a yo-yo, ever since. I'm to the point where I am tired of logging every day (but I try to do it). I'm really tired of having to watch calories, sodium, fat, etc. I just want to eat what I love and not have to worry about any of it! But that's what got me here in the first place...

Oh, yeah, and I also need to lose weight so I can have hernia surgery and get knee replacements. Oh, joy!

One of my MFP friends wrote something the other day that hit me like a ton of bricks, and I stole it for my profile: "Value yourself enough to invest the effort." She works out like a Tasmanian devil and is being very successful at her weight loss. I am truly happy for her. She obviously doesn't have the physical limitations I do, which I am also happy about...I wouldn't wish my condition on anyone.

So my Thursday truth is that I'm not the best at my logging. I start really well in the morning, and then slack off by supper time. When I first started MFP, I was totally honest with the logging. Now, not so much :( I have been giving into temptation way too much lately, and it needs to stop. I need motivation to say "NO!" to the temptations and stop playing mind games with myself. They just get me into trouble. I fight anxiety and depression every day, and recently it's gotten worse...my wonderful mother-in-law is in the beginning stages of fighting breast cancer. She had surgery last week, and will start chemo and radiation soon.

If anyone has any words of wisdom/motivation, or logging or eating tips for me, I will welcome them. I'm glad I came across this thread. You all sound very nice, from what I've read.

63652800.png
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm sorry I just can't seem to be consistent in stopping by here lately.

@Karen~ Yes, i'm trying to put that software certification to good use so looking for that type of work. Its harder than I thought it would be--I'm mostly looking at large companies that are headquartered here. I've had just a handful of interviews so far. When does school start? Are you taking on anything extra this year or will you be teaching the same literary and speech courses?

@cjbrummet~ I'm looking for a new job also, but for different reasons. :wink: We live in a huge city, it shouldn't be this hard. With so many hospitals here, I hope you find what you're looking for quick!

@RobinsEgg~ It was so nice to see your post; you're missed! :smile:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

Today was the first day of the semester, and I have 296 students. 194 and 100 in my freshman intro class, 2 in my senior seminar. Thank god I'm not also teaching our writing class. I'd go starkers.

That's a LOT of students!
  • Nikion901
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hello and Happy Thursday, everyone. My name is Nan. ....
    If anyone has any words of wisdom/motivation, or logging or eating tips for me, I will welcome them. I'm glad I came across this thread. You all sound very nice, from what I've read.

Hi Nan ...everything you said in your introductory post above could have been said by myself at one time.
    I don't know if I have any words of wisdom or if what I'm about to say to you will be motivating ... so please don't take offense at my comments to you,

1 - Use a high step stool bar seat to do the dishes, sit on it. Or, prop one foot up on a short stool or the open cupboard floor to help relieve some of the pressure in your back when you stand slightly bent over as you do at a sink. Take breaks when the burn starts and try dropping your hands to the floor as you stand on both feet (keep your knees flexed)

2 - Start moving around some. It hurts, but sitting/laying around will only make it worse. Eventually, if you sit all the time and have a bad back you could end up with nerve damage to your feet and legs and they may go numb on your, ... or worse yet, stop functioning and then you will be immobile. At your present weight, you will have a hard time transferring yourself into your wheelchair ... so start building up your arm strength in case it comes to that someday. There are a lot of easy in-chair exercises on YouTube ... find some, save them, and do them several times a week.

3 - You may have a lot of swelling in your tissues, especially if you are eating a lot of carbohydrates. This fuild in your tissues will also agravate your joint pain. Movement of your limbs, joints, helps to move that fluid around and out. Drink a lot of water ... plain cold water ... it will help flush your cells and help move any swelling you have in your tissues. It also helps to keep you fuller. Try to get at least the recommended 8-10 glasses of water every day. Go for more if you can. Just don't go crazy and drink 2 gallons! ! gallon is probably even too much.

4 - Get in the habit of logging. It is your log, no one sees it but you ... so you do not have to lie when you log, or skip logging. If you don't log you will never have a clear picture of just how much and what type of food you are eating. If you don't have a clear picture there, you won't know what or where to cut down. Cutting down is what you need to do. No one says you need to stop everything you eat that you know/think is 'bad' in one fell swoop ... just moderate it. When you find you cannot moderate certain foods and they send you into a binge, cut that food out of your normal food budget. Have it when you are out at a special occassion so you still get to have it, but don't keep it around if you cannot control how much/how often you eat it.

5 - You are depressed because you hurt, because you let yourself down when you don't stick to something throughout the day ... it's ok. As you start to stick to things you will feel better about yourself.

These things I am telling you to do ... they are things I have done in the past 4 years (correction -- it's more like 6 years now) to get a handle on my own weight and health issues. It takes time to do this. You need to take it a step at a time. And you need to keep building on those steps. And the only way you can do that is to try again every single day.

Good luck.

(I'm 71 years old, I started at 272 pounds and am now 240. At that 272 weight, I couldn't stand for longer than 5 minutes at a time without shortness of breath and severe back/knee pain. I yo-yo all the time. If I am not attentive to the kinds I've things I've asked you to try to do, I can gain 20 pounds inside of 2-3 weeks; and have done that; and then need to 'start again'. My goal is to break out of the 200's and get to 170 ... Lower than that when I finally get there ... but for now, I'm just working on 10% of my weight ... and I'm trying to lose it in 13 weeks. Whereever I will be at the end of this 13-week session, it'll be another goal for 10% off of that.)

• suznhenz
    suznhenz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @Packergal27: I too am a bigger woman who NEEDS to lose 150 lbs without much exercise. I will be 70 in December. I too have lower back pain, arthritic knees/wrists/elbows (and shoulders), and had Achilles tendonitis until I got my doctor to switch my thyroid medication from Syntroid to Armour Thyroid (my thyroid has been removed ). I have had surgery on one knee (and the doctor said it was the worst he had ever worked on- so much scar tissue that it was hard to get to the meniscus.) I have trouble standing for any length of time and have a stool in the kitchen that I use when cooking. I have a rowing machine that I used for quite a while and which didn't bother my back or knee too much. I have a regular bike, but the weight on my hands, wrists and shoulders make it not very pleasant, and not something I really WANTED to do. However, when I found my recumbent tadpole trike (two wheels in front, one in back), I fell in love and now have been riding at least 15 miles a day and have lost about 27 pounds since the second week in July. Somehow the hard work riding has given me the drive to absolutely stick to under 1200 calories a day. I don't want to waste the effort by eating up the calories I have expended. If you can't buy a recumbent bike, a lot of time gyms have recumbent stationary bikes that you can try. There are also exercise programs you do sitting. I have found, as my weight decreases, so does my knee and back pain, substantially so, as a matter of fact. What is funny is that, even though I am very careful about what I eat, I am cooking more than I have in a long time- but everything is worked to be healthier. I think that, as long as I can ride my trike, I will be getting healthier. I hope you can find something that works for you. It really has to be something that you find it hard to live without, I think. Otherwise it's too easy to stop.
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Happy Thursday! Enjoyed being able to read through everyone's post! I love this group that everyone can share and be safe doing so!

Thursday Truth: I have more than a hundred pounds to loose! At my weight to be healthier I need to loose like 2 whole people! Just to do my 30 minute walk and my 35 swim class I am excited even in the water my knees can hurt!

When I think of the amount I have to loose it can make me cry! But I half to keep owning it you did this to yourself! You can reverse this!

Liz
    Caldwell, Idaho
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's Thursday so I will do Truth:
    My name is Tracy, I live in Central TX close to Austin. I have been hovering between 189-199 for more than a year. My DH is disabled and in a wheelchair and I'm his only caregiver, plus I'm trying to work full time so we don't go broke. Luckily he has disability and retirement income (actually brings in as much as I do working 40 hours a week....) so now that I'm having to take leave without pay when I miss work, he is having to step up and take over some of the bills. I'm still stressed with our situation, we don't have home health care at all right now, just visiting nurses. As large as this town is, and as close to Austin, the 2 companies I've tried so far can't seem to find someone willing to work in this area. We only qualify for 8 hours HHC per week (which is ridiculous for a terminally ill patient) but I can't even get that for my DH, it's incredible. Meantime my last paycheck was just over half what it should have been, and this coming one won't be much better. I hate having to leave him home by himself but what choice do I have?
    I have been stress eating and not working out like I should, but I just paid for a membership at my PT office so I can use their facilities for 6 months at half price. They have a POOL treadmill that I got to use for the first time today, the speed only goes up to 4.7-ish but the resistance of the water is great, and I could only maintain 2.5 for about 5 minutes and had to go back to 2. The pool is heated but not too hot, very comfortable, and I can spend up to 1.5 hrs/day in it as long as there are no more than 6 people in the pool. I also have full access to the gym equipment and lots of people to show me how to use it, so I'm pretty happy. My shoulder is still hurting but my range of motion is a lot better, so much so that my PT discharged me and wants me to work on my own for awhile to see if it continues to improve without manipulation and TENS. I see an osteopathic Dr next week for my hands and will have him examine the shoulder too to see if he has any other recommendations.
    I'm up for Robin's dance challenge for September, tho I can't guarantee 5 songs per day - I love to dance!
    Tracy
    TX
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thursday truth

I treated myself to a Snickers bar. I haven't had one in forever. I think we need to treat ourselves every now and then.

@Elizabeth2360 make your self smaller goals, then it won't seem so overwhelming, try for something like say 5 pounds a month. And remind yourself that even if you only lose three in that month that is 3 pounds less than you had before. Everyone can tell you a different way to lose weight. You will figure out what works best for you. Some people only worry about calories, others only count fat but I worry more about the carbs. I have lost 29 pounds by staying away from bread, rice, pasta and potato. I haven't given them up completely just reduced them.

@MermaidPrincessRach and @GOINSTD12 good luck on the dance challenge. I myself was unfortunate to be born with two left feet and have no natural body rhythm, so I am going to pass on that challenge.....lol

@kah68 thinks for the words of encouragement. I am still working at same old job so I am not rushed or pressured to find a job in a hurry.

@suznhenz I love the success you have been having on your trike. Everytime I see your picture I want to go buy me one. But then I really don't want to spent that kind of money.
  • Choblet361
    Choblet361 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started my journey again a couple of weeks ago. My daughter is getting married in September and I can't find a decent dress because of my size. I have been mostly keto low carb and feel in control. I weighed at the doctor last month and wasn't happy being in the threes. The promise to my self is to get back to working out and waking at a decent hour. With all the wedding plans and such, need to find some time for myself.