Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Long run planned today....going to slow it waaay down at 70% max heart rate, hopefully 10 miles today...still very hot at Naptown....84 degrees, 91HI, and 52% humidity. Will check in later.

Achieved goal of 10 miles.....but unable to slow to 70% ...at all. First mile, averaged 75%, then next 6 miles at 80-82%; Felt good, breathing well, focused on posture, arm placement and slowing my steps. Then legs and feet became very sore and I felt like I had to pick up the pace to stretch out my hips...and I noticed that my heart rate decreased by 3%. Co-incidence? It happened on 3 other occasions in the last couple of miles...I really tried to focus on keeping the heart rate down, still at 79-83%. After completing mile 9.25, sprinted the last 3/4 mile...ended with 96% heart rate, but not really breathing hard or bent over trying to catch my breath like I usually am when going full out. ...it took forever (nearly 2.5 hours for 10 miles)....but going to try it again in a couple of weeks. Not sore at all. Even cut my recovery walk (jumping jacks, high knees, etc) short due to my husband needing me to help with the yard.

August 1---poison ivy....rest day
    August 2....;poison ivy....rest day
    August 3....dr.'s visit for the poison ivy....put on Prednisone....rest again
    August 4....4 miles....
    August 5....husband's 65th birthday....celebration with friends.
    August 6.....10 miles
    August 7....still with poison ivy....rest day...actually I work the night shift.
    August 8th...weight lifting, Spinning class...then 3.87 miles on the treadmill.
    August 9th.....6 miles...
    August 10th....rest day....lots of walking at the Indiana State Fair.
    August 11th...weight lifting....treadmill (rolling hills)....3.89 miles. Worked in some sprints, otherwise running at slower pace...averaged 11:45 minute pace. Drenched in sweat afterward. Last day of Prednisone.

4 pages of posts that I haven't read yet...you guys are killing me. :smile:

The prednisone taper was rough. Didn't feel like working out today at all. Slept hard last night 5 hours and then another 3 plus 2 extra in the afternoon...total of 10 hours. Legs today feel heavy esp. around the knees. I don't think that my legs are more sore today than normal but that Prednisone masked my muscle soreness for a week, and I am now feeling it. Skipping my long run this week. Also have a long stretch of work nights ahead....5 out of the next 6.

August 11th....3.89 miles to add to the total of 23.89.....27.76. Still trying to achieve 85 miles this month.

August 16th...4 miles....finally got a run in between my work nights....worked 5 out of 6 this stretch. Light drizzle...very humid...the weather is trying to break here...I'll take it over what Louisiana is dealing with. Anyway, pace was 10:45 minute miles...not really pushing myself that hard, probably 88% max heart rate..the first time I have run sub 11 minute miles... total is 31.76
    Sooooo behind with regard to reading posts....about 12 pages.

August 18th....6 miles.....really "embracing the suck"....not wanting to do it today....headache for the first 5 miles..lower back and neck soreness. Only 4 hours sleep x 2 days and just finished a 5 out of 6 work stretch. Decided to run slower or faster as I felt it...very humid today...78% and 78 degrees with "real feel" of 80 degrees. The humidity was a bit oppressive but normally doesn't bother me as much as today.
    total for the month 37,76
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

August goal.....run

8/1 3.12....and I struggled through that!
    8/2 snorkel 4 hours
    8/3 life
    8/4 more life
    8/5 3.15
    8/6 4.00
    8/7 lazy (can't blame life) (however, I DID mow the 2 acres and muck out the chicken coop, so I wasn't a complete slug....)
    8/8 5.83
    8/9 snorkel 3 hours
    8/10 3.2
    8/11 snorkel 2 hours
    8/12 3.30
    8/13 3.57
    8/14 rest
    8/15 4.10
    8/16 couldn't
    8/17 5.87
    8/18 3.20

Total 39.34

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual 5k runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo 7/21
    ......Lead Singer in August or September
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Mo Farah's training schedule is pretty "easy"! (Think about it...)

http://www.trainingarunner.com/2014/10/09/mo-farahs-typical-weekly-training-schedule/

Monday
    AM: 10-mile recovery run (6:00min/mile pace)
    PM: 6-mile recovery run

Tuesday
    AM: 4-mile warm-up run; 8-12mile tempo run anywhere from 4:40 to 5:00min/mile pace (depending on altitude and terrain); 3-mile cool-down run
    NOON: Strength and conditioning session (1 hour)

Wednesday
    AM: 12-mile recovery run, followed by a massage.
    PM: 5-mile recovery run

Thursday
    AM: 11-mile recovery run
    PM: 5-mile recovery run

Friday
    AM: 4-mile warm-up jog; 10x200m intervals (with 200m recovery jogs) on grass in 29 seconds each rep; 10x200m hill sprints at equal effort, walk back down to recover; 4-mile cool-down run.
    NOON: Strength and conditioning session (1 hour)
    PM: 4-miles easy

Saturday
    AM: 11-mile recovery run, massage

Sunday
    AM: 22-27 miles, no slower than marathon race pace + 1 minute (for Mo, this means 5:40min/mile)
    Total: 126-135 miles per week

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Just gonna drop this right here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgnb0iKNSMc

Screenshot I took 3 hours ago.

BD148F0D-BAB8-44AC-A6A3-FEB6331F5A23_zps0ksntghr.png

So incredibly amazing.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Mo Farah's schedule is CRAZY. I know a real-life, everyday person who runs 90-100 miles a week..... around a job working full-time with special ed children. It totally blows me away that she has time for that kind of mileage when elites who get paid to run only run 20-40 miles a week more than she does!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @kristinegift That's interesting about the crisco vs petroleum jelly. I may buy a small container and try it out. I worked with a guy that would put lotion in his gloves (nitrile type) and wear them to address the winter hand cracking common in our line of work. Same principle, we just need foot gloves.

@instantmartian Yes I am lucky to be where I am with just a bachelor's degree. I appreciate each and every gallon/ litre of gas you all buy. :wink: My husband has a master's in counseling and a list of licensures. He's come up into management and is slowly closing the gap. I also put myself through school, went back at 27 with 3 kids, headed for divorce and it was a struggle. Hence, the unfinished masters. I/we have significant college debit too. I hired in making just more than half of what I'm making now. I've been there 10.5 years. More money more debit. Same old hamster wheel.

I'm sure you'll find something with that MBA. I'm just not in a location to finish/restart a master's program. I'd really like too though. Go to northern Alabama!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    No running for me today: knee caps very sore :( Waiting for PT referral to arrive. In the meantime, rest, ice, frustration, etc...
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    2.5 miles recovery last night

34.5 miles done with goal of 70.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I still do my easy runs easy. It's just a mental effort to make sure I don't push while I'm doing them, lol.
    I have this problem, too. I have to constantly remind myself, pretty much every time I'm out running, that I need to keep a certain pace. I tend to overdue it in training runs and races when I stop consciously thinking about and checking my pace. I am terrible with the whole "feel" thing. What I feel is easy for myself really isn't, and I wear myself out after a few miles. I completely rely on my Garmin. I've been doing this for almost six years, one would think I would have this all figured out by now, but I don't.

By the way, I did NOT want to get up this morning. I don't think I've ever wanted to get out of bed even once in my life actually. But anyway......got dressed to go walk, got my precious/evil Diet Coke and proceeded to make hubby's coffee. Well, I stinkin' forgot to put the cup under the Keurig and coffee started running all over the counter! Ugh. What a mess.
    I'm pretty sure I've also never wanted to get out of bed one time in my life. I hate waking up and I'm awful at it. I absolutely cannot "get up and go" or else I end up with a situation like you did with your Keurig. About that Keurig, though, I have a single cup one that I inherited from my brother. I almost never use it. But mine won't let me push the start button until there's a cup under it. It must have some sort of weight sensor or something on it. I thought they were all like that, as this one is pretty old. I guess not! I used to have a similar situation as you more times than I'd like to admit when I was living with my parents after college. Back before Keurigs, my parents had a coffee maker that would make one cup of coffee or two. My dad drinks decaf and my mom drank regular, so this was a perfect solution for them, as you could make two different cups of coffee at the same time with this little machine. In order to change between one cup or two, you'd have to turn a little dial on the top. At the time, I was selling insurance, and our office was about an hour and a half from my parents'. We'd have weekly, sometimes twice-per-week, meetings at 7am, so I was up and out the door around 5:15am. I would almost always forget to check the dial, and at least once per week, I would end up with a half a cup of coffee and another half a cup of hot water with coffee residue to clean off the counter and floor.

Azercord wrote: »
    Man all this bashing on summer and the nice warm/hot weather. Where my lizards at?! I need to find a heat buddy, I love running in the dead heat of the day. I could also find a big rock and just lay there completely happy so maybe I'm just part lizard man (the dinosaurs didn't die, they evolved).
    I'm not a fan of running in anything much above 70 degrees, but I will not complain about the heat. I will take running in a 90 degree day over a 30 degree any time. I absolutely, 100% despise cold weather and winter. I have been generally loving this summer!

Elise4270 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are doing your training runs right- focus on distance, fuel , hydration.

You have a 7, 6+ and and 8 mile run under your belt this month. I ran 9, a very sloppy 9, as my longest hm training. I think you can do the hm in a month, and you'll be surprised. This one in a month is a pre Feb HM, just a training race. Because by February you'll be able to dial in your pace and strategy. And it's a RNR run? You'll be ready.

Get your mind right. Adopt a mantra. "I'm strong, I'm trained, I can do this" or when that negativity creeps in just before the race- "so what" . So what if I walk, so what if I'm past my time goal, so what... It's not a crisis. It's fine. "I'm strong,. I'm trained, I can do this". Dismiss that negativity. It's not valid. Your a bad *kitten*.

@ddmom0811 and I ran our first hm's on the same day. Having a training buddy helped. (Anyone running the same weekend?) She came across a blog turned book by Brook Kreder "Onward".. it helped manage my fears, find solace, and see the humor and spirit of running.

That goes for all of us, don't that let doubt creep in. Y'all are beast's! We are runners.

Ps- a month out from the race, have a massage
    Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely have to check out that book. I had a massage late last week, and I already have one scheduled for 2pm after the race. I have no doubt I can run a HM, I did earlier this year. I did that one with 10 miles as my longest training run, and I'll be doing the same for this one, it seems. I takes a lot of effort for me to have a positive attitude. I consider myself a realist - I always consider all options and outcomes and just go with it. It's not a good habit to have, and I am working on trying to change it, but that's been me my entire life.

I am actually running this one with a friend, but she is quite a bit slower than I am, so we'll be hanging out before the race and then after. I expect her to finish around a half hour after I do. I had another friend who was supposed to be running it, as well, but she's injured and had to pass; she's a bit slower than me, as well, anyway. My cousin's wife is running, but she's a gazelle, and someone else I know is registered but from my understanding, she's about the same pace as my first friend. None of these people live anywhere near me (the closest is about 45 minutes away), so even trying to coordinate schedules and do a few training runs together is kind of impossible. The only time only ever gone for a run with someone was one 3-mile training run about four years ago. I am a lone wolf, not really by choice, though, but that's okay.

My friend's boyfriend and my boyfriend will be at the half to cheer us on (or watch us start, go back to the hotel, and come back for when I should be finished). I must say, I have one of the most supportive boyfriends ever. So far this year, he was up at 2am with me to carry my bag and follow me all around Disney World for my last half that started at 5am. Then, this past Spring, for the Broad Street Run in Philly (my absolutely worst running experience ever), he stood out in the cold rain to be with me as I waited at the start line, and then he met me about halfway through in front of his old high school to cheer me on, he then proceeded to run with me to City Hall, then watched me run by about a mile from the finish, and then met me at the finish line. It was so cold and it rained the entire time. I was miserable, he stayed positive. He is such a trooper! I actually never asked him to do either of these things for me, it was completely his idea and initiative.

I think my biggest fear about this race is the last two times I ran this course (well, what is the last stretch of the course), I managed to first injure my hip, and second do something to my IT band on my same leg a year later. I think it might have to do with the pitch of the road, to be honest. That makes me a little nervous as that route is the last 4 miles of this half.

In reality, I am pretty excited. I know it'll be a good time, and it'll be a fun weekend in Philly with my boyfriend, friend, and her boyfriend. We have all sorts of plans of places to go and things to see (that pretty much all revolve around food and beer). My boyfriend and I want to take them to a lot of our favorite spots around the city. I just still can't quite understand why I don't feel nearly as ready for this one as I did for the last. Maybe it's the training in the heat?

Elise4270 wrote: »
    @instantmartian Yes I am lucky to be where I am with just a bachelor's degree. I appreciate each and every gallon/ litre of gas you all buy. :wink: My husband has a master's in counseling and a list of licensures. He's come up into management and is slowly closing the gap. I also put myself through school, went back at 27 with 3 kids, headed for divorce and it was a struggle. Hence, the unfinished masters. I/we have significant college debit too. I hired in making just more than half of what I'm making now. I've been there 10.5 years. More money more debit. Same old hamster wheel.

I'm sure you'll find something with that MBA. I'm just not in a location to finish/restart a master's program. I'd really like too though. Go to northern Alabama!
    I seriously think you should go after that masters if that's what you want to do! Do one class at a time online or something. I've always loved school (the academic part of it, anyway), and while I literally felt insane during my full-time masters pursuit when I was at my last job with its crazy schedule and long hours, I was kind of sad when it was over, even though it was a huge relief. I have absolutely no idea how some people in my program managed to do all I did with kids thrown into the mix, but they, somehow, made it work! It's funny how the debt thing works, isn't it? Good luck to you!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    8/1 - Intended to run 4, but oversleeping and a thunderstorm kept it from happening :-(
    8/2 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class. I may be too uncoordinated for this ab stuff...I feel like a bull in a china shop for sure.
    8/3 - 4.11 miles. Cool but foggy/sticky. Felt like running through a shower.
    8/4 - 5 miles on treadmill (Trek class). The Y was so humid, kinda felt like I was outside anyway.
    8/5 - Bodypump class.
    8/6 - 6.33 miles with HM training group.
    8/7 - Rest Day.
    8/8 - 4.25 miles. Felt good!
    8/9 - Unplanned rest day. Some annoying back pain kept me awake all night, so I "overslept" without actually getting any sleep.
    8/10 - 4.3 miles in 75°, 90% humidity...plus, owl.
    8/11 - 4.95 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Then, some quick upper body weights. Again, humid.
    8/12 - Spin Class...not sure I have ever sweat that much in my life
    8/13 - 6 mile group run with HM training group. Nice pace, cooler temp.
    8/14 - Rest / housework day. Ended day with an unnecessary trip to the ER for my 10 year old. Even Moms that are Pediatric nurses overreact once in a while :smiley:
    8/15 - Slept in due to that ER visit.
    8/16 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class.
    8/17 - 5.04 miles. Started in a pleasant, light rain...ended in humidity.
    8/18 - 4.27 miles. Weather was OK, but felt like a slog. Just one of those days, I guess
    8/19 - Spin Class, followed by upper body weights.

exercise.png
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This guy writes some good stuff. Some of these things I definitely need to remind myself of at times: bodyforwife.com/the-exercisers-creed/

So, I am so super duper proud of myself! I am not a morning person (I totally agree w/the previous posters who have said they've never enjoyed getting up), so tend to do all my runs at lunchtime or in the evening, or if it's a weekend I never seem to get out til at least 10:30am, lol. Last Sunday I actually started my long run at 7am because it was organized by a couple people in the fb running group I'm a member of, so my committing to it there it forced me to get up and get there, lol (they planned it based on one of my running routes so I had to be there as the guide!). So, a pat on the back for me, I just instigated a 7:30am Sunday long run by posting it myself on the fb page! It seems like this might be the only way to get myself to run early, by publicly stating it so that I have to be held to it, lol. I would also like to try to do more group runs, because I know I need to get better at sticking to my easy pace, and it'll be easier to do that if I have someone to talk to while I'm running (if I can't talk I'll know I'm going too fast)

(edited because grammar is hard on a Friday morning)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Mo Farah's training schedule is pretty "easy"! (Think about it...)

Monday
    AM: 10-mile recovery run (6:00min/mile pace)
    I lost it right there. His RECOVERY run is 6:00min/mile!!!

Dadgum!

That was pretty much my thought too.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Rest day for me today (well deserved after four days straight--that's more than I've done in a long time). Good timing, too, as the high today is 89 and tomorrow's is only 80! Saturday night/Sunday morning low--for my first long run post surgery!--is 54 degrees!! SO EXCITED! Now to figure out where the heck I'm going to run. That's the bad part about moving-not knowing where the safe running routes are.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Today's run was hard, but rewarding with a new PR. :smiley: It was nice and coolish, but I was still soaked when I finished. Really looking forward to autumn weather!

Happy TGIF everyone!!!

exercise.png

1/8: REST
    2/8: 5.30 km + 20 mins yoga
    3/8: 5.38 km + 20 mins yoga
    4/8: 5.39 km + 20 mins yoga
    5/8: 5.43 km + 20 mins yoga
    6/8: 4.50 km (Walked Colour Vibe due to terrain on course, and it wasn`t even a true 5K)
    7/8: 6.05 km + 20 mins yoga
    8/8: 5.37 km + 20 mins yoga (New PR! 5K in 34:31)
    9/8: REST (early morning meeting; walked all over instead)
    10/8: 5.40 km + 20 mins yoga (New PR! 5K in 33:59)
    11/8: 5.42 km + 20 mins yoga
    12/8: 5.16 km + 20 mins yoga
    13/8: REST
    14/8: LIFE
    15/8: 5.22 km + 20 mins yoga (New PR! 5K in 33:25) + 4.24 km in the evening
    16/8: 5.40 km + 20 mins yoga + some strength training (tried Strides for the first time, only managed to do 3)
    17/8: 5.39 km + 20 mins yoga + some strength training (1 Stride done)
    18/8: 5.42 km + 20 mins yoga + some strength training
    19/8: 5.44 km + 20 mins yoga + some strength training (New PR!!! 5K in 33:01)
    20/8: REST
    21/8:
    22/8:
    23/8:
    24/8:
    25/8:
    26/8:
    27/8:
    28/8: REST
    29/8:
    30/8:
    31/8:

Current PR: 5K in 33:01 / 10K in 1:17:??

Races:

6/8: Colour Vibe 5K
    24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run
  • Marjael
    Marjael Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    3.58 run this morning - first half was very sluggish - maybe allergies, maybe just a little off today. Either way, tomorrow is a rest day.

exercise.png