Addicted to diet coke.. help :(

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    healthy491 wrote: »
    daniip_la wrote: »
    That stuff is chemically balanced with the caffeine and sugar and who knows what else to make you crave it.

That makes no sense, whatsoever.

Diet soda doesn't have sugar, and some have caffeine but usually less (per volume) than coffee. Craving something doesn't always mean that it's bad, you might just really like it and want more. I'm craving cabbage right now, most definitely not because it's been modified to make me want more of it.

To the OP, you're going to get a lot of people throwing fake science at you to support their beliefs that diet sodas are bad. While I agree that you might be drinking so much of them that it'll hurt your teeth, they won't make you gain weight. Diet sodas personally help me to keep my calories in check by cutting my craving for sweets.

Thanks so much for answering me :) ! Its like everytime I am convinced that diet soda is fine , someone comes up with an article about how bad it is for me !

Just ask them to provide the peer reviewed study. Personally, I am trying to cut down on diet soda to protect my teeth and pocketbook. I'm on the app so can't see if you are British, but one great replacement is iced tea. Maybe with a single pack of sugar which adds 15 calories. I'm not sure if iced tea is considered sacreligious or sacreLICIOUS in GB these days, but it is worth a try.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    doesn't cause weight gain, doesn't cause diabetes, doesn't cause cancer, etc. etc. etc.

The only worry i'd have consuming the amount you're talking about is the damage to your teeth or potential Reflux/Acid symptoms.

All of this, plus drinking 4 liters a day is a considerable amount of caffeine each day. I haven't seen any evidence that it slows down metabolism, but it might be a good idea to try to moderate your intake a bit more. I personally drink 1 can a day, and it hasn't affected weight loss one bit.

Gotta ask, though...how do you not burn out drinking that much? I'm not sure I'd able to look at another diet soda after a few days of drinking 4L a day..haha (I can't drink that much plain water every say either..I have to switch it up.) I'm not much on all the carbonation, though, but that's just me.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    I would tell my dad to *kitten* off but, maybe that's not such a good idea
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    Well, I would naturally be suspicious towards any type of excess. A healthy lifestyle comes with balanced diet and moderation in everything.

You don't need to drink water as your daily water consumption goal is met by far with just your diet soda intake.
    Besides, please let us all remind that there is also water in food. The European Food Safety Authority recommends 2 litres of water per day for females and 2.5 litres for males.
    There is an important portion of that water coming from food naturally i.e. you usually don't have to drink a bottle of 2 litres per day on top of your food.

However, I would be concerned about the type of diet soda you drink and what sweeteners are being used for that soda.

As an example, although aspartame was recognised as being safe for consumption, the acceptable daily intake has been set at 40mg per kg of bodyweight.

Not all artificial sweeteners are equal from a health perspective.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-artificial-sweeteners.aspx

The other concern would be tooth decay:
    Although they often contain no sugar, diet sodas usually cause about the same amount of dental erosion as regular sodas.
    http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/oral-health/basics/nutrition-and-oral-health/article/sugar-free-drinks-are-they-safe-for-teeth-0115
    healthy491 wrote: »

Thanks a lot :) but the problem is I cant stand water.. it makes me sick

No comment...
    :/
  • Conniebythesea70
    Conniebythesea70 Posts: 1 Member
    It is hard, as I was addicted too but you can do it! There is nothing but POSITIVES that can come out of putting fewer chemicals in your body be it, food or drinks! Good luck! :)