All calories may not be equal

Options
1293031323335»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Barry Sears' article cited above proposes an "anti-inflammatory" diet composed mainly of monounsaturated fats, lean protein, an omega-3 source, colorful nonstarchy vegetables, and a moderate amount of fruit, with only limited amounts of grains. 30% fat, 30% protein, and 40% carbohydrate. He has ideas about the timing of macronutrients, too.

One weird thing about this is the article's discussion of avoiding egg yolks because they are a significant source of arachidonic acid...but so is chicken, which is recommended as a source of lean protein (?)

Shocking how that works
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    animated-eye-image-0093.gif
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Scientific American is a magazine that publishes what journalists who like science find cool or what they believe based on what they have read or enjoyed about science, don't confuse it with an actual scientific publication.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Scientific American is a magazine that publishes what journalists who like science find cool or what they believe based on what they have read or enjoyed about science, don't confuse it with an actual scientific publication.
    But is fun to read, like Cosmo! ;)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Yeah as magazines go it isn't bad, but it is a magazine, its not a scientific journal and its contents aren't science, they are journalism written by journalists.
  • queenliz99
    Options

Yeah as magazines go it isn't bad, but it is a magazine, its not a scientific journal and its contents aren't science, they are journalism written by journalists.

Agreed
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Agreed

phd051809s.gif

This cartoon is useless. Pretty much everyone on this thread will look at it and think - "ha, this is so true, but does not apply at all to what I am thinking / saying. "
  • queenliz99
    Options

Agreed

phd051809s.gif

This cartoon is useless. Pretty much everyone on this thread will look at it and think - "ha, this is so true, but does not apply at all to what I am thinking / saying. "

Interesting. What are your thoughts?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are other cartoons actually useful?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I like the cartoon, and it certainly is apropos as to how scare mongering evolves into fear, which can quickly escalate into opinion presented as fact.
  • bshrom
    bshrom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @gonetothedogs19 I'm a vegan but I'm not an idiot I don't think that eating a couple eggs will give me heart disease, I just don't want to eat them, or fish and seriously why should that affect your life? Why does what I do and do not eat have any affect whatsoever on your life??Seriously this is a discussion about are all calories equal and you bring up veganism? It has nothing to do with the post and is irrelevant.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Agreed

phd051809s.gif

Do you get your "research" from the news or directly at the source? The answer to this question is also the answer to whether the comic makes fun of you or not.