Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,862 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm 35 years old. I have been obese most of my life. Currently I am just over 300 lbs (308 - 304 range). My highest weight was 312 back in Nov 2015. I am 5' 6.5" so my ultimate weight goal is 150 or less. I am happily married 13 years to a man who is equally obese. We live in Brandon, FL ( near Tampa) and have no children (by choice) but we have 3 senior kitties (one is diabetic) and a 2yo cockatiel.

:heart: Rach
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm 35 years old. I have been obese most of my life. Currently I am just over 300 lbs (308 - 304 range). My highest weight was 312 back in Nov 2015. I am 5' 6.5" so my ultimate weight goal is 150 or less. I am happily married 13 years to a man who is equally obese. We live in Brandon, FL ( near Tampa) and have no children (by choice) but we have 3 senior kitties (one is diabetic) and a 2yo cockatiel.

HI Rach. I'm slightly older and heavier at 37 and 318lb but about the same hight. My husband and I are about to celebrate 14 years. We have 2 kids, 6 and 8. Unlike you my husband is fit and buff. He is also really good looking, enough so that people - even men at my work- mention it all the time. I know part of it is their shock at how different we are. This time around he has joined MFP with me to try and support me. Is your husband doing this with you? I imagine your bad habits overlap. While I wouldn't wish obesity on anyone I wouldn't mind if my husband had a little bit of a struggle with weight so that he could understand how hard this process can be.
    Drea
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    Drea,
    My DH (5yrs older than me) is trying to lose weight but he doesnt use mfp. He did when he first went on bp meds 2 yrs ago (fyi, i dont take any meds) but that was just out of curiosity about his salt intake. He was in shape when I met him so I feel somewhat responsible for his weight problem.
    Yesterday we got a diabetic/healthy recipie magazine. Each day we will pick something healthy to try for dinner. Here's to broadening our horizons and shrinking our wsistlines!
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @Elizabeth2360…I do a deep water aerobics class at my Y and love it! It’s really a great workout.
    @rach…does it help if you “reward” yourself for a walk? Maybe I’m going to take my 10 minute wlak and when I get back I’ll reward myself with a coffee?”
    @Karen…TRUTH! Not that I never complain, but I had a co-worker at my last job that complained all the time but when we suggested ways to make it better she just said “no it’ll be fine.” She just had to be a martyr. Hopefully your new superintendent will be awesome and the others will find less to complain about.

AFM. I had a bit of a food funeral over the weekend. I have to stay focused on my diet this week so I don’t gain any weight (and losing would be even better). My surgery is on Monday and if I gain weight, I could run into a situation where it would be cancelled/postponed. I had a few of my favorites and did have soda. Today, it is back to protein, protein, protein and meeting my calorie goals.

Work has been super busy this past week. We have a total of 3 in our department (two processors and me). I have some vendors but the 2 girls carry most of the work load. We also have a temp employee that helps. Well, 1 girl was on vacation all last week and most of this week and the temp was gone as well. It would have been bad enough to have just 2 of us processing but my bosses threw several projects and things that needed cleaning up on my plate. Numbers are bad and I’ve been at work late most nights. I’m ready for them to be back on Thursday and Friday. Hopefully we can get caught up over those 2 days before I’m out for 2 weeks. Although it will be better for them because I have just a few of my own vendors and all the “extras” that land on my lap will go to my boss instead of the processors. When I didn’t get home most nights until after 8, I just had supper and relaxed a bit. No gym for me.

I’m going to go refill my water bottle and keep on with the 2nd half of my day. Have a great one!!

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-In
    Well, I did everything last week I said I wanted to do, but I overate and gained weight this week. This week, I had stone fruit on my menu plan ... they are so tasty this time of year ... and I need to remember that stone fruit is like apples for me ... gets the snacking going which always leads to a high carb load and my hormones getting out of wack. So this weeks goal will be to keep my carbs under 150 for the day so some of this excess fluid can subside.
  • RachaelPooh
    Options
    Megan you've got guts! I wouldnt dare put myself out there like that at a pole dancing class. I bet your boyfriend/husband/significant other likes you going to class too. :wink: So glad it has built up your confidence. Good job! :+1:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Is it fun @curvymegan89? I've heard it's fun.
  • curvymegan89
    curvymegan89 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

It's so much fun! I'm about to start an aerial hoop/Lyra course in addition to pole, which I'm looking forward to.
    I recommend it to anybody looking to get fit, or gain confidence.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tracy-- Yes, I also do my share of complaining, but some people can't see the bright side of anything. It's really interesting b/c we've had a lot of turnover the last 2 years, and many people seem to think it's tied to pay. However, I just found out today that one guy who left for one of the highest paying districts in our state, has already communicated that he hates it there. I used to work there, so I know first-hand that all of the hoops aren't worth the extra money. He wants to come back to our district and he's only been at the new school for a couple of weeks. Confirms what I was trying to tell some colleagues a couple of weeks ago--just because a school pays more, that doesn't mean it's necessarily a better job.

@niki-- it's good that you can pinpoint what you need to change in your food plan for future success. :smile: I've considered getting Netflix b/c there are a few shows I would love to watch. Then I think about how much TV I already watch, and I decide against it.

@rach-- I'm about the same height as you and originally planned to get to around 150 based on BMI charts. However, I've realized that would is probably too low for my frame and body type. I started at 247 and got down to 185-ish and maintained that for a couple of years, but gained 10 lbs last school year. My current goal is to lose that 10 plus another 10 or so and then re-assess. At 185 I was comfortably in a size 12 and pretty happy except for a bit of flab around my middle and some very persistent "bat-wings." I can still squeeze into the 12s, but they are snug :/. I think once I get to 175, my focus will will shift to building more muscle and reducing my body-fat percentage. If that requires I drop below 175, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. :smile: Right now I would just be happy to make it to that point.

@megan--that's awesome!! Congrats!!

@mickey-- I've found that if I don't change into my workout clothes the minute I walk in from work, I will talk myself out of it. I'm fortunate that I have a dog who will harass me endlessly if I don't walk him. So even when I'm completely unmotivated, he gets me out for a walk. If I'm already in my workout clothes, it seems silly to not go for a run or head to the gym after walking him. Of course, I'm often silly, so...

@trinati-- I love your approach to going out to eat. I rarely go for fast food out of laziness, but I will sometimes make less healthy choices from my fridge when I'm too lazy to prep something. I try to log it ahead of time, and often the numbers will dissuade me.

Welcome to the new folks!! :smile:

Sunday Share:
    I'm karen. I'm 46 and from Chicago. I teach HS English Lit--just started back today!!--so you will see me soon add a list of grading goals to all of my other lists below. I found in college that I am a list maker and need to see what I want to accomplish and feel the satisfaction of checking off completed tasks, or I become the rock-star of procrastination. I shared some info about my current fitness goals above with rach, so I won't repeat here.

Monday Check-in:
    I set up some running goals below and they are coming along. I came close to my 10-minute mile goal last week, so I'm hopeful I will get there soon. I also made progress on my 2-mile goal--I ran almost all of it the other day. However, I know the numbers it gave me were inaccurate b/c I ran my usual 2.08 mile route, but the app said I ran over 2.25 miles in 22:37. I doubt that is correct, but I don't have any other measure, so I recorded it below. I have tested out my 5k pace yet this month, but am leaning toward running one this weekend. That way, if I don't make my goal, I will still have one more week to try again.

I know some people talked about trying robin's dance challenge for September. It sounds like fun, but I have had to do a lot of dance videos for my Amazing Race challenge that ends this week, so I think I'm all danced out. I will come up with some new personal running goals for September instead, and just cheer you all along as you shake your booties. :lol:

Tuesday Goals:
    1. clean fish tank

Fitness Goals for the month of August:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week: Week 1 = 10:32; Week 2 = 10:14, Week 3 =
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 25:33 & 24:46; Week 2 = 22:37; Week 3 =
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end

You vs Year Challenge:
    245 k done/ 755 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + mow lawn DONE (back yard)
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    @New Caddy I have watched the deep water class at our Y it seems fun but I am no way i am ready that! Awesome that you can!

@skinnyjean -- a certified home offers a safe place for people who have special needs to live!

Today was a normal day at work but I am just exhausted! So calling it a good night!

Thank you

Liz
    Idaho
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Monday check in

I have lost 30 lbs so far since May. I lost all the weight I gained on vacation and even more. I have been very faithful on my diet, but not do much on working out.

Tuesday Goals

My goal is to start working out 3 days a week. It is never easy for me to get into the habit of running but I hope to get back into it soon.
    My other goal is to find a new job. I think being on dayshift will help me set a more routine schedule and even allow me to see my DH for more than a few minutes at a time.

I read so many interesting comments and posts that I would love to comment on but I am posting this with my phone and it isn't as easy to type. My love and vest wishes to everyone.
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    cjbrummet wrote: »
    I read so many interesting comments and posts that I would love to comment on but I am posting this with my phone and it isn't as easy to type. My love and vest wishes to everyone.

Congrats on the loss cj. I just need to echo how I love reading stories but when I'm on my phone responding to everyone is a bit much. I normally do my posts at work from the computer but I read everyone's weekend updates as well.

• tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options

It's so much fun! I'm about to start an aerial hoop/Lyra course in addition to pole, which I'm looking forward to.
    I recommend it to anybody looking to get fit, or gain confidence.

That sounds really challenging!

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Karen~ Have a great school year, I hope the new superintendent makes some positive changes. Some people think the grass is always greener! In my case I really hope it is, because my career is at a standstill here. I have Netflix, currently watching Orange is the New Black--wasn't sure what the hype was at first, but you really get into the characters. Except for a movie or two on the weekend, I mostly watch Netflix while riding the bike at the gym. I get so bored not biking anywhere that its a good distraction. :wink: I try not to binge watch too much, its unhealthy.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @kelley-- Thanks--the new super's welcome speech was encouraging. He's definitely a better speaker than the last one. Time will tell if he's better in other ways as well. I've never seen OITNB, but I've heard great things about it.

@cj-- congrats!! 30 lbs since May is awesome!! Have you considered signing up for a race? It's the one motivator that is sure to get me running more regularly. I'm signed up for a Turkey Trot in the Chicago neighborhood where I grew up. I know there will be childhood friends running it as well, so it's extra incentive to prepare for a decent race. :smile:

@liz-- that's great that you are willing to get your home certified and open it up to people in need.

Monday Check-in:
    I'm curious what some of you are eating as far as net calories. I've been stalled out as far as weight loss for such a long time. A little background for the newer folks: I started at 247 in 2011; lost about 65 pounds over the course of 2 years reaching a low of 182 in 2013. I leveled out there and managed to maintain between 182-187 over the next 2 years despite a shoulder injury in 2014 which forced me to stop lifting altogether. I upped my cardio and maintained that weight until last fall when a pretty severe upper respiratory infection kept me from any exercise for about 10 weeks. I promptly gained 5 lbs and then 5 more over the holidays. Even though I'm back to cardio and some light lifting, I've not managed to lose the 10 lb gain or any additional weight that I still want to drop.

While I was on maintenance, I calculated that my average net calorie intake was between 1800-1900/day. With that knowledge, when spring hit, I reduced my intake to between 16-1700 net with no resulting weight loss. I then dropped a bit more to about 14-1500 net. Still no change. My BMR is about 1550 according to most calculators. I also got a measurement on a fancy machine at a health expo last spring which calculated my BMR at 1543. Based on that, I really don't think I should lower my calories below my current intake.

I have also experimented with adjusting my macros and though I'm less hungry when I eat more protein and less sugar/carbs, I still don't really lose any weight. I might fluctuate down to the lower end of my "normal" 5 lb range, but the minute I have a higher carb day, I fluctuate right back up.

I'm kind of at a loss, so looking for any ideas. If anyone is willing to share their strategies that have resulted in success, I would really appreciate it. :smile:

Tuesday Goals:
    1. clean fish tank

Fitness Goals for the month of August:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week: Week 1 = 10:32; Week 2 = 10:14, Week 3 =
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 25:33 & 24:46; Week 2 = 22:37; Week 3 =
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end

You vs Year Challenge:
    245 k done/ 755 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + mow lawn DONE (back yard)
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE TWICE + gym or run outside NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-in:
    I'm curious what some of you are eating as far as net calories. I've been stalled out as far as weight loss for such a long time...

While I was on maintenance, I calculated that my average net calorie intake was between 1800-1900/day. With that knowledge, when spring hit, I reduced my intake to between 16-1700 net with no resulting weight loss. I then dropped a bit more to about 14-1500 net. Still no change. My BMR is about 1550 according to most calculators. I also got a measurement on a fancy machine at a health expo last spring which calculated my BMR at 1543. Based on that, I really don't think I should lower my calories below my current...

I currently have my calories set around 1400 saying that I have a sedantary lifestyle. Which since I work in IT at a desk all day it is fairly close. I use my fit bit to calculate my extra calories and with a heart rate monitor I figure it is fairly accurate. But I'm not accurate with weighing and measuring. So I eat my 1400 calories and assume that the extra exercise calories are there to adsorbe the errors from my lack of exact measurements.

If you are lax in the weighing and measuring it might be a good time to be extremely careful measuring everything out again.

Also does your scale have a body fat percentage? It could be that you are gaining muscle and losing fat. That would explain how you are exercising more, eating less and not losing weight.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound - have you considered that it may be your sodium intake that's at fault? You don't mention whether you monitor that or not. If you're on a higher protein and lower carb diet and staying within your BMR and continuing to stay active, sodium may be at fault. You might also consider having your thyroid function checked. Tho I'm no doctor, so don't do it just 'cause I suggested it. It sounds to me like you're doing all the right things, so there's got to be something getting in the way.

I have decided that regardless of the consequences to my retirement, my sanity requires me to step back and go part time. My manager and upper management are all supportive of me, and my manager is even looking into whether or not we can consider this as "reasonable accommodation". Regardless, I need to cut back on the hours so I'm not stressing so much. DH is just going to have to step up and keep helping with the bills. Not sure when I became the sole person responsible for paying the household bills, but that's going to have to end. He paid the electric bill ($260 this month) and immediately started looking for ways to cut down on the bill.... funny, when I suggested it the last couple of months it went in one ear and out the other. And he paid the land payment (minus the extra $100/mo I've been paying on principle, but oh well, it's a start).

The HH worker we had before texted me today and asked for her job back. I'm not even going to tell DH, why do I need her there if I'm going to be there? I've decided to apply for the position myself with the company; since I'm going to be home taking care of him anyway, I might as well get paid for it. It will only be about $65/wk, not nearly enough to make up for going part time (my hourly wage now is around $22/hr) but better than nothing at all.

Tracy
    TX

• Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    Tuesday went ok! It was my first long day after enjoying a summer with shorter hours. In summer we work till 3pm but with School back in force we work till the last young adult goes home which is normally between 5:30-6. It is only a couple hours more but i so enjoyed the earlier time frame! When those short days started I was worried about the bottom line (money) that it be a problem. It didn't seem to effect us as much finically as i had thought it was going to. Butt having gone through my DH 2-year unemployment thing I get afraid to turn down any hours offer to me! I work anything that is asked of me!

@CJ ---- Congrats on 30lbs!!!!
    @Karen:-- food for me right now needs to change more especially going into fall wanting comfort foods! MFP has given me such a large amount of calories it's crazy! Right now I am looking more at that and trying to pay attention to carbs but i haven't figured out the who net thing! Sorry realize this isn't much help! ;-) .

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday ! Chat with you later today..

Liz
    Treasure Valley Idaho

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I've been away, and backsliding for quite awhile now. At one time I was within 5# of my goal. I decided that I could slack off and start with a 'maintenance attitude'. Big mistake! I am now 50# from my goal. There has been a lot going on in my life, but that can no longer be an excuse. Through it all I have continued to exercise, but I can't keep ahead of my fork if I don't track my food. I couldn't sleep last night because I was stewing about getting back to MFP. Last time I started I just jumped in with both feet. I think it's going to be harder this time, but I have to start.
    I'm so glad to see some familiar names here. I know that the accountability of being part of this group is vital to my success. I read back a little, but I am looking forward to catching up with all of you.
    Just a bit of an intro for the new ones and those who have forgotten me. I am a 72 year old wife , mother, and grandmother of a large family. Family is pretty much the center of my life. I started MFP 5 years ago to prepare for knee replacement. I had great success for a long time, but got complacent. School has started for Nicole, youngest daughter, so I have the kids, boy 8 and girl 3, fulltime again. School will start next week for Keith, and Anya will start preschool after Labor Day. Cathy, middle daughter, has a new job as counselor at the middle school. She is usually my walking partner. We will need to be a bit creative as her job is more demanding and she is in grad school, too. We are signed up for a fun run near the end of Sept. I signed up for the 10k. I hope I can be ready for it. We replaced walking with water aerobics for the summer. I'm feeling pretty out of shape right now. Walking is entirely different.
    Sorry this is so long. I feel like I'm visiting with a friend that I haven't seen in forever.
    Onward and downward, Kaye