Thanks for the post!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Awesome post thank you!
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Great post, but you're talking about a net of 1200? It's SO hard for me to eat that much!! I burn anything from 500-1000 calories per workout, and I work out in the evenings so I end up with a lot of calories left over. I eat every 2 hrs at work, but am so busy at home I only have my protein shake. Any suggestions?
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Great post, but you're talking about a net of 1200? It's SO hard for me to eat that much!! I burn anything from 500-1000 calories per workout, and I work out in the evenings so I end up with a lot of calories left over. I eat every 2 hrs at work, but am so busy at home I only have my protein shake. Any suggestions?

this was a difficult transition for me too. I never ate breakfast for years, but now I am careful to eat about 500 cals if it's a big workout day. Also I will eat a clif bar ( or maybe even 2 on a really big work out day) mid-afternoon. You will get used to planning and then if necessary, have some peanut butter or full-fat yogurt instead of a lower calorie snack. Sometimes I make the extra calories a dessert or glass of wine. It really works and it is such a great epiphany.

blessings.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Great post...but I have a question.

When you let MFP set your goals, it tells me that my goal is 1200 cals a day to lose 1 lb per week.....
    I go to the gym for an hour every day and eat the calories (or most of them) back.....but I still pretty much stay the same weight and same size.

Are you saying what MFP sets is wrong? I've actually wondered if I was in starvation mode even though I'm not hungry.

Curious on your thoughts.. I'm willing to try something new.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Great post...but I have a question.

When you let MFP set your goals, it tells me that my goal is 1200 cals a day to lose 1 lb per week.....
    I go to the gym for an hour every day and eat the calories (or most of them) back.....but I still pretty much stay the same weight and same size.

Are you saying what MFP sets is wrong? I've actually wondered if I was in starvation mode even though I'm not hungry.

Curious on your thoughts.. I'm willing to try something new.

Perhaps reduce your weekly goal to .5lb a week, instead of 1. The closer you are to your goal weight, the lower your weekly goal needs to be. Worked for me.
  • megskin15
    megskin15 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm glad I found this my first day using the site! Very motivating and educational :) Thanks for posting this!
  • lisadhancock
    lisadhancock Posts: 103
    Options
    great read, thanks.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks Newfiedan for reminding me to not workout like a fiend and not feed my body properly. This is a lfestyle change, not a diet!
  • jgranger221
    Options
    bump
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice. I guess useful for blokes and gals alike. It's amazing how many of my fit friends can have those chocolate shakes and even chocolate bars with apparent immunity. I think your post holds the key! (that's not to say I am ready to start guzzling choc shakes though lol - I have to learn to run before I can walk.
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    I have been at this program for over a month now - lost 5 pounds then it came right back and I am stuck at 150...it doesnt budge!! I am about to throw the scale out the door!
  • Ramitta
    Ramitta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Bump for later read. Thanks
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suz74
    suz74 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for this, straight to the point and useful pointers
  • nickiw68
    nickiw68 Posts: 71
    Options
    Great post, liked the bit about the body needing a "cheat day"...exactly what I have done today and now don't feel so guilty about it
  • Ellastrong
    Ellastrong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks for the info!