What is your gym pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    My gym always being crowded, people who leave weights/trash/empty water bottles all over (I figure they are the same scum who leave trash on the seats/floor of movie theaters), and yeah, the banging weight thing. I don't care if someone has to do it when they are attempting a really heavy lift, but a lot of people seem to drop for the heck of it. Scares the bejesus out of me, both because of the noise, and because to me, a loud bang like that signals a ditch/failure where someone might actually be injured. So I end stopping my workout to look over to make sure the person is ok.

I don't understand the thought process that gyms are going to be quiet places...

when you are moving weight there is going to be sounds from moving of said weight. yes, people should not be screaming like they are in labor, but gyms are going to be loud...

There is a difference between dropping because it's normal at some point in the lift and dropping it just to drop it. I've been next to a guy doing seated shoulder presses with 25# dumbbells, which he dropped from knee height at the end of each set. It doesn't rise to "peeve" level for me but it does make me wonder why he does it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    My gym always being crowded, people who leave weights/trash/empty water bottles all over (I figure they are the same scum who leave trash on the seats/floor of movie theaters), and yeah, the banging weight thing. I don't care if someone has to do it when they are attempting a really heavy lift, but a lot of people seem to drop for the heck of it. Scares the bejesus out of me, both because of the noise, and because to me, a loud bang like that signals a ditch/failure where someone might actually be injured. So I end stopping my workout to look over to make sure the person is ok.

I don't understand the thought process that gyms are going to be quiet places...

when you are moving weight there is going to be sounds from moving of said weight. yes, people should not be screaming like they are in labor, but gyms are going to be loud...

Where did I say that I think gyms are going to be quiet places?

were you not complaining about noise in the gym?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

There is a difference between dropping because it's normal at some point in the lift and dropping it just to drop it. I've been next to a guy doing seated shoulder presses with 25# dumbbells, which he dropped from knee height at the end of each set. It doesn't rise to "peeve" level for me but it does make me wonder why he does it.

IDK - the weight dropping thing has never bothered me...the loud screaming is a little disorienting, but I can understand it if one is going for a PR; however, it seems weird when people do it for the duration of a normal set..
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only thing that usually gets on my nerves is when someone does something stupid AND it directly gets in the way of my workout, like the guy and his son who were doing a zillion sets of curls with 5 minute rests in between each set in the only squat rack in the place, then acted like I was the one being rude for waiting for them to be done (it was the only lift I had left).
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

wait, don't you get paid to do all these things?

Our cleaning lady, Pat, gets paid to clean our office buildings, but that doesn't mean I go around leaving trash all over the ground.

so gym staff should complain about having to re-rack weights and clean up the place where they work at? Back when I worked in restaurants I had to clean up all kinds of nasty stuff, I did it because I got paid to do it.

When you eat in a fast food place do you take your trash and put it in the garbage can or do you just leave it? Sure someone will come around and clean up after you, but it is customary in a place like that to throw your trash away, just like it is customary to put your weights back.

so then what is the job of a "gym attendant"?

Putting weights back after *kitten* leave them on barbells, the floor, etc would be one of the things. A janitor has to clean a bathroom, that doesn't make it okay for someone to drop a deuce on the floor.

So racking a weight is to gym employee as picking up feces on the floor is to custodian/janitor?

A point that can be made for both is this: As a janitor/custodian, part of agreeing to the job is that accidents will happen and they may come into contact with stank logs on the floor. As a gym employee, part of agreeing to the job is keeping a tidy gym even when members don't rack the weights.

And a point we can agree on is people that don't put the weights back are *kitten*?

I'll back you 100% on that. Even to the point that I'll rack somebody else's weight if they leave it. However, the only point I'm trying to make is that gym staff can expect to do it as well and really don't have a leg to stand on as far as complaining about it goes (IMO).

It sounds like you are saying that people are not allowed to complain about an aspect of their job that they don't like just because that aspect is included in their jobs.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

IDK - the weight dropping thing has never bothered me...the loud screaming is a little disorienting, but I can understand it if one is going for a PR; however, it seems weird when people do it for the duration of a normal set..

Well like I said, it doesn't bother me (isn't a pet peeve.) It just makes me wonder what the point is, especially when done with a weight that makes it seem unnecessary. The guy I referenced above was fit/in shape and didn't appear to have any trouble getting the dumbbells up to his shoulders to start with or be struggling with the exercise. It was just that every set ended with a "drop the mic" moment and it struck me as a bit comical.

I haven't really come across too many screamers in the gym. One guy did it while on either an Airdyne or elliptical (can't remember which), which again I found funny. I tend to be more amused than annoyed by most things. Annoyance takes too much energy.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

Our cleaning lady, Pat, gets paid to clean our office buildings, but that doesn't mean I go around leaving trash all over the ground.

so gym staff should complain about having to re-rack weights and clean up the place where they work at? Back when I worked in restaurants I had to clean up all kinds of nasty stuff, I did it because I got paid to do it.

When you eat in a fast food place do you take your trash and put it in the garbage can or do you just leave it? Sure someone will come around and clean up after you, but it is customary in a place like that to throw your trash away, just like it is customary to put your weights back.

Putting weights back after *kitten* leave them on barbells, the floor, etc would be one of the things. A janitor has to clean a bathroom, that doesn't make it okay for someone to drop a deuce on the floor.

So racking a weight is to gym employee as picking up feces on the floor is to custodian/janitor?

A point that can be made for both is this: As a janitor/custodian, part of agreeing to the job is that accidents will happen and they may come into contact with stank logs on the floor. As a gym employee, part of agreeing to the job is keeping a tidy gym even when members don't rack the weights.

And a point we can agree on is people that don't put the weights back are *kitten*?

I'll back you 100% on that. Even to the point that I'll rack somebody else's weight if they leave it. However, the only point I'm trying to make is that gym staff can expect to do it as well and really don't have a leg to stand on as far as complaining about it goes (IMO).

It sounds like you are saying that people are not allowed to complain about an aspect of their job that they don't like just because that aspect is included in their jobs.

Originally, I was trying to determine WHAT the job of gym staff was and if that aspect was or was not included. People are allowed to complain about anything (as you can see from this post) so you'd be "hearing" me all wrong.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Well like I said, it doesn't bother me (isn't a pet peeve.) It just makes me wonder what the point is, especially when done with a weight that makes it seem unnecessary. The guy I referenced above was fit/in shape and didn't appear to have any trouble getting the dumbbells up to his shoulders to start with or be struggling with the exercise. It was just that every set ended with a "drop the mic" moment and it struck me as a bit comical.

I haven't really come across too many screamers in the gym. One guy did it while on either an Airdyne or elliptical (can't remember which), which again I found funny. I tend to be more amused than annoyed by most things. Annoyance takes too much energy.

had a few screamers at my old gym, and some more at the new one...

If you are dropping for show then that makes no sense, but if it is a legit heavy weight or one loses grip, then I say no harm no foul...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Where did I say that I think gyms are going to be quiet places?

were you not complaining about noise in the gym?

No, actually, I wasn't complaining about noise in the gym. I very specifically said the banging of the weights. I also went on to clarify that I'm not bothered when someone does in in conjunction with a very heavy lift, but with the dropping weights just for the sake of dropping weights...and the reason why it bothers me. I'm not sure how that could be unclear unless you didn't actually read what I wrote.

There are different types of gyms out there with different types of clientele, and at my gym, people lifting at a level which would necessitate a weight drop to avoid injury are pretty rare. Those who do are generally working with a trainer, and are in the area where the trainers work with clients, which also has platforms and such. A loud weight drop in the general area isn't considered "expected" noise.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    the creepy guys that sit opposite you while you are trying to do cardio and stare at you- I have had this happen multiple times, I am an older woman that does not dress up or wear make up to the gym, I go to work out hard and sweat a lot so I don't want to be stared at. This and what another poster said- someone that sits right next to you on the bike when many others are available. Ughhhh
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Dirty old men telling you they are exercising their eyes.....ewww. I work at a gym and people talk to me non-stop "go home or work out" Im working, no really go home or work out and stop sweating on my desk...yuck!
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    People that use a machine and get up and walk around for 5 minutes between sets.
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to be happy, so I'm rarely peeved. I can only remember being peeved one time when this lady was on her phone next to me having such a bitchy awful gossipy conversation. I just wanted to reach over and smack her on the mouth. Otherwise, even the phone wouldn't bother me. I just don't want to listen to the negative *kitten* while I'm in my happy place
    OMG that is one of the most annoying things to me!! People having conversations-usually on speakerphone too- while they are working out- No one wants to hear your conversation- stop talking so freaking loud!
  • fracturedgirl
    fracturedgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just don't like ppl who confuse the gym with OKstupid/other dating/hookup site.
    Creepers need to creep away.
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was amused by the creepy guy who never worked out but would go get on equipment next to girls and use it for 2 minutes then freak out and run away. That was until I was his prey -____-
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Ego's and people who come to socialize.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I don't care what their job description is, it doesn't give self-centered, inconsiderate people an excuse to be freaking pigs in the gym. Even if there are people who are paid to keep the gym neat, that doesn't make it okay to not unload your bars/rack your weights, leave dumbbells lying around when you're done with them, walk away from a sweat-soaked bench without wiping it down, etc. I don't care if the gym attendants are making a hundred bucks an hour, that still doesn't justify people being slobs. Not only is it a complete lack of common courtesy, it's a condescending attitude to deliberately leave messes and think "hey, it's their JOB to clean up after me!".

[ETA:] And yeah, it irritates me when I have to walk all over two floors of the gym to hunt down the dumbbells I need because the last slob couldn't be bothered to put them back where they belong.

I never said it gave anyone licences to do that. I was asking why people are getting bent out of shape when gym attendants are complaining about doing their job; assuming, that we area ll in agreement that, that is their job.