jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    as someone who works at a gym, I can probably give a different perspective. If you don't restack/put away your weight, the gym staff have to do it for you, and they will hate you with a burning passion. Weight-droppers - all you're doing is damaging the floor, which means the prices of memberships have to go up, as we have to cover the price of replacing/fixing the floor. Same goes for people who bang weights in to walls/mirrors/etc. People who leave the treadmills on an inclination of about 10+ degrees. People who leave blue roll/tissues (especially sweaty dirty ones) all over the floor. That one person who is always "just finishing up" when you're trying to lock up and keeps going for an extra 15-20 minutes. Like, you know when we close, please just leave, we're hungry and tired. Lastly, those people who NEVER leave, they're there all day, from opening til closing. Damn, rant over, didn't realise I had so many pent up issues :')

wait, don't you get paid to do all these things?

Our cleaning lady, Pat, gets paid to clean our office buildings, but that doesn't mean I go around leaving trash all over the ground.

so gym staff should complain about having to re-rack weights and clean up the place where they work at? Back when I worked in restaurants I had to clean up all kinds of nasty stuff, I did it because I got paid to do it.

When you eat in a fast food place do you take your trash and put it in the garbage can or do you just leave it? Sure someone will come around and clean up after you, but it is customary in a place like that to throw your trash away, just like it is customary to put your weights back.

so then what is the job of a "gym attendant"?

I don't care what their job description is, it doesn't give self-centered, inconsiderate people an excuse to be freaking pigs in the gym. Even if there are people who are paid to keep the gym neat, that doesn't make it okay to not unload your bars/rack your weights, leave dumbbells lying around when you're done with them, walk away from a sweat-soaked bench without wiping it down, etc. I don't care if the gym attendants are making a hundred bucks an hour, that still doesn't justify people being slobs. Not only is it a complete lack of common courtesy, it's a condescending attitude to deliberately leave messes and think "hey, it's their JOB to clean up after me!".

[ETA:] And yeah, it irritates me when I have to walk all over two floors of the gym to hunt down the dumbbells I need because the last slob couldn't be bothered to put them back where they belong.

I never said it gave anyone licences to do that. I was asking why people are getting bent out of shape when gym attendants are complaining about doing their job; assuming, that we area ll in agreement that, that is their job.

Everyone gripes about their job. Even if you love your job, there are portions of it or times that something about it annoys you. But I do agree that common courtesy should be adhered to. Just like if someone goes to a fast food place, they should clear the table that they sat at. Don't leave the empty food boxes and dirty napkins sitting there.
  • aashwill
    aashwill Posts: 64 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    -
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    The guy with a shorts 3 sizes too small, that shows his junk off when he exercises.
  • samastill
    samastill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    People who load up the bar with weight only to barely do one rep with terrible range of motion
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    the guy that does tai chi moves in front of the barbells. the treadmills/stair climbers that have broken tvs (If I have to do cardio, I at least want to binge watch something mindless... like HGTV or food network)!
  • Damien_K
    Damien_K Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The creeper hogging a machine to check out the women
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    - not wiping down the equipment - really I don't want to sit on someone else's butt sweat
    - Someone walking too close to my bar when I'm mid-squat, OHP, BP, etc.
  • DJMayes2016
    DJMayes2016 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Crossfit rowers.
  • playmadcats
    playmadcats Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    People having private discussions in the spa areas. Really don't want to know about your grandchild bedwetting, son thinks he's picked up a std ( what sort of person tells their mother that anyway?). Or what sort of takeaway you want to pick up on way home. Either keep discussions general if you must talk, or shut up.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have just one issue, and it's true for EVERY GYM!
    :o
    It's that naked old guy in every locker room in every gym. He's always there...
    4eudnmi7xc88.jpg
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Selfie taking social media denziens who's online personas, which will always contain "_lifts" or "_fit", bear little resemblance to what they can actually do in the gym.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Selfie taking social media denziens who's online personas, which will always contain "_lifts" or "_fit", bear little resemblance to what they can actually do in the gym.

But if you don't post your workout selfies on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter the workout doesn't count, amirite?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Having to work out with people who look like they just got out of jail ;)

If not for my darling wife, I'd have never left Equinox. That's what happens when women enter your lives, fellas.

Those people are probably doing the most work in the place.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    The guy with a shorts 3 sizes too small, that shows his junk off when he exercises.

LOL...I got a crotch shot recently from one of these dudes doing a bench press...not pretty!
  • rufus_187
    rufus_187 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The weird naked old men in the lockerroom. Not sure why they need to be naked, with a towel over their shoulder after drinking coffee for 2 hours. People in the free weight room. Gym is a big healthcare complex. Doctors offices, pool, local college basketball amd volleyball teams play there. Free weight room is tiny. No deadlift platform and only 1 squat rack so I just hate seeing people in there.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There's one dude that does bicep curls in the power rack. UGH. Get...OUT!!

Oh...and back at home (Australia), there was a guy who would pretend to work out and perve obviously. And his excitement was.....obvious. Bike shorts. He made a few lewd comments and got banned for life, so he hung around the outside of the gym...

I believe someone called the cops on him.
    Tmdesir wrote: »
    We have a woman that runs/skips sideways on the treadmill, she always goes right next to people, never to the 10 open treadmills. So while you are running/walking she is dead staring at you so she can skip sideways. It irks me to no end.

Oh. Dear. Lord. I'd be making ridiculous faces/gestures at her.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is people that hover around you when you're using any piece of equipment. And instead of being courteous and asking how many sets you have left, they just stare at you. Go away please! Also, like many of you, I dislike when people don't unrack their weights or when they don't strip the bar. I may be able to unload it for you, but I really didn't feel like getting an additional warm up in before my workout :0!
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Perfect, but seems to be ignored.
    https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/tools-and-samples/job-descriptions/pages/cms_001605.aspx

Summary/Objective

The fitness attendant instructs recreation center patrons in the effective use of a wide variety of cardio and fitness equipment, monitors orderly operation of the fitness room, and provides routine maintenance to fitness equipment.

Essential Functions
    Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

Assists in the development of division health and wellness programs. Maintains health records on all fitness room users. Ensures center rules, safety standards and sanitation requirements are followed. Assists in the emergency action plan implementation.
    Provides customer assistance as needed. Provides instruction to patrons in the proper use of the facility equipment to include cardiovascular equipment. Monitors fitness room to ensure smooth flow of patrons through exercise circuits. Performs routine daily maintenance tasks such as cleaning equipment, filing fitness cards and minor repairs on facility equipment.
    Documents and reports all accidents and incidents in the fitness room. Aids patrons in daily operation of equipment and answers questions concerning operation of equipment. Documents and reports all equipment malfunctions and safety hazards to center administrator. Schedules orientations for patrons. Assists in the inventory and requisitioning of supplies and parts for the fitness room.
    Competencies

Collaboration Skills.
    Customer/Client Focus.
    Communication Proficiency.
    Ethical Conduct.
    Supervisory Responsibility

This position has no supervisory responsibilities.

Work Environment

This job operates in a gym and in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines and standard gym equipment, like weights, weight machines, treadmills, stationary bikes, ellipticals and other similar machines.

Physical Demands

The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.

While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.

The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 200 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.

Position Type/Expected Hours of Work

This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand, including weekends and some holidays.

• Electric_Warfare
    Electric_Warfare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    People who fart the whole time they are at the gym. Vegans im looking at you.
  • Electric_Warfare
    Electric_Warfare Posts: 30 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Also people that use cardio equipment when its not raining. (most likely vegans)