Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Friday Fitness ... I'm taking an emotional break today. I'm feeling tired and fragile, a kind of sad.

I let myself get worn down and now I need to live through the consequences until everything gets back in sync. That's the time when it's hard to maintain patience, to see the positives, to look forward with any enthusiasm, to accept that there are things in life that I cannot do anything about but forebear through them. That then is the time to turn inward with meditation or to turn outward with prayer.

It's a good thing there aren't any comfort foods in the house right now because I'd rather eat a box of Ritz crackers with tuna salad, or cream cheese and jelly, or better yet, to pick up the phone and dial for a fast-food delivery while I fritter time away on this computer while I wait for it to arrive. Thank God I'm too broke today to not cook something at home!

edited to add ... cooked up a veggie medley with Orca Bay Tuna Steak and had it with 1/2 of a whole wheat wrap and a cup of milk.
    I feel empowered!
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 - good for you, that should help your mood.
    @Kah68 & @cjbrummet - I will pray for success for you for your job hunts.

I went to the ortho DR today and he gave me shots in both my thumbs (trigger finger) and in my shoulder (frozen shoulder). Ouch! And now I have to watch my blood sugars very carefully because they were steroid shots. Also, typing this is not easy as both my thumbs are numb right now!

Spoke to the VA SW and got approval to be spouse's official HHA for 8hr/wk. She will also try to get authorization for more hours (from 8 to 14). All good news. Now I have to go fill out the app for the job, but I already know I have it so not in the same boat as @Kah68 & @cjbrummet . Too bad it doesn't pay better. But anything is better than nothing.

Y'all have a great weekend,
    Tracy
    TX
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tracy-- I'm so glad you are getting some positive changes in your life right now. You've been dealing with so much stress for so long, you deserve a break, even if it's just a small one.

@niki-- sorry you are feeling run down and sad. I hope the empowerment that came from fixing that healthy meal grows and moves you past the negativity.

@kelley-- glad to hear you are healing and moving into the PT phase. That's funny about the job here. Despite the cold, I honestly believe Chicago is the best city in the US. It's urban-- with all of the culture, food, and art of an East Coast city, but it's Midwestern, so people are super friendly and it's a lot cleaner than, say, NYC or DC. But I'm not gonna lie or sugar coat our winters--it gets really, really cold! I hate the cold, but it makes me appreciate the nice weather so much more. However, DH and I have already committed to retiring someplace warm in the Caribbean b/c I can't imagine enduring the freezing temps when I'm 80.

@rach-- Thanks for sharing info about your tracker. I went to Garmin's website to check it out, and they are now up to the vivofit 3 for about $100. Of course, once I started shopping, I was drawn to the more expensive bands with more running features, but that's okay--I don't plan to buy anything until this free one dies. I will save my pennies in the meantime. :smile:

@cj-- Keeping my fingers crossed that you get the job!! Yeah, I don't plan to spend money on a new tracker until this one dies. I figure even if it's not great quality, it should last at least a year. (I hope!)

Friday Fitness:
    Not a great week, but not terrible considering I'm getting used to my back-to-work schedule. I tried running a mile on Wednesday at the gym, and boy was it a terrible experience. I was so tired and so hungry and so crabby, but forced myself to go try. It took a .25 mile warm up before I even attempted to run, and then I couldn't get into a good rhythm so my mile took 11:35. I then walked another .25 mile and switched to the arc trainer. After a half mile on that, I decided to give up and go home. I'm glad I made myself go despite my poor performance.

This weekend, I have a bit of grading and reading for work, and I absolutely need to clean the fish tank. Otherwise, I don't have any plans, so I will get to the gym to attempt a 5k in under 36 minutes (my other monthly goal).

Tuesday Goals:
    1. clean fish tank

Grading Goals:
    1. 30/81 writing screeners
    2. x/40 AP quizzes
    3. re-read Fahrenheit 451

Fitness Goals for the month of August:
    Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week: Week 1 = 10:32; Week 2 = 10:14, Week 3 = 11:35 (yikes!)
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 25:33 & 24:46; Week 2 = 22:37; Week 3 =
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end

You vs Year Challenge:
    247 k done/ 753 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + mow lawn DONE (back yard)
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE TWICE + gym or run outside NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE + gym or run outside NOT DONE
    Fri-- rest day WALKED GUNNER
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,862 Member
    Options
    I know Garmin is now selling vivofit3 but I have heard bad things about it. I would reccomend looking for a vivofit2 instead.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    I know Garmin is now selling vivofit3 but I have heard bad things about it. I would reccomend looking for a vivofit2 instead.

Hopefully, my current tracker lasts a good, long time and they are up to vivofit 5 or 6 by the time I need to buy a new one. ;)
  • curvymegan89
    curvymegan89 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Saturday Success
    My success this week isn't weight related. My partner has been thinking about buying a house for us to live in, but I am not in the same financial situation as him and do not have the income to contribute to a deposit at this point in time. We've had a lot of discussions about what the future will look like and how this decision will affect us, some of them quite heated; but tonight we finally came to an agreement that works for the both of us. I am feeling so happy, and relieved to finally put this stress behind us, and move forward with our relationship.
  • pinkstarberry
    pinkstarberry Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I hope it's been a great week for you all! I'm so happy reading through great news from so many people on this thread over the past week!

I started a new type of hormonal birth control last Sunday and I've been so moody, irritable, and queasy, and my attitude has been awful all around but I stayed on plan. I went to bed early last night and woke up feeling better today, so hopefully the extra rest is helping my body adjust to the hormones. I was worried I might see some water weight gain but luckily I didn't, though my weight loss stalled a lot over the past week. Today and yesterday showed some small losses so I'm hoping that will continue through the end of the month!

As for fitness trackers, I don't have anything fancy... I just use a free app on my phone to track my walking distance and speed and I also carry my Nintendo 3DS since it has a pedometer built in LOL! Maybe I will ask for a fitbit or something similar for Christmas, but this setup works ok for me so far :)
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Saturday Success ... I looked up reviews on some of the different activity trackers and found one site that compared the most popular brands in 2016 with recoomendations for which type you might want depending on it's features and your needs ... and have determined that I don't need one. I'm not a athlete nor do I work out at a gym ... I just do in-house calisthenics, sometimes used resistance bands, and walk as much as I am able to.

Thought I'd share an interesting graphic I ran across the other day that shows how and why your weight can fluctuate so widly from day to day ...
    qwj7jig76ggo.jpg
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @niki-- I told myself from the start that I would weigh myself everyday b/c research supports that approach for weight loss. However, I knew I would have to be okay with the day to day ups and downs. Though I'm pretty good at it, I still feel a little twinge of anxiety every time I step on the scale and it's up. Thanks for sharing the graphic. It's a great reminder that those daily fluctuations are normal.

@pinkstarberry -- I also have never invested in a fitness tracker (my mom got mine for free), though when I started running, I bought a heart rate monitor that really helped me learn when I was pushing myself too hard or not enough. :smile:

@megan-- glad you and the partner have come to a decision about your living situation. It's always nice when we can clear some stress from our lives. :smile:

AFM-- I had a pretty high calorie day yesterday, but it is part of my new plan. A woman on my challenge team who has reached her weight goal, gave me some information about how she succeeded. One of the things she said was that she wishes she had eaten more throughout the process. She believes she would have actually lost the weight faster. She also suggested eating at maintenance twice a week. I've decided to incorporate this advice but only once a week. So yesterday was my day to eat at maintenance, but I ended up about 150 calories over that. The result today though, was that I had an almost perfect day in terms of meeting my macros without even trying. In fact, it wasn't until I closed out my diary tonight that I even noticed it.

Saturday Success:
    My success this week was coming up with a new plan for my calorie allowance.

Tuesday Goals:
    1. clean fish tank

Grading Goals:
    1. 43/81 writing screeners
    2. x/40 AP quizzes
    3. re-read Fahrenheit 451

Run 1 mile at my fastest pace 1x/week: Week 1 = 10:32; Week 2 = 10:14, Week 3 = 11:35 (yikes!)
    Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 25:33 & 24:46; Week 2 = 22:37; Week 3 = 25:54
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end Week 3 = 38:14

You vs Year Challenge:
    252 k done/ 748 k to go :smile: PAST the 25% mark!!

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + mow lawn DONE (back yard)
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE TWICE + gym or run outside NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE + gym or run outside NOT DONE
    Fri-- rest day WALKED GUNNER
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + run outside DONE
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Well done Karen!
  • craftymommyof3
    craftymommyof3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am a 29 year old mom of 3 beautiful children. I have struggled with weight my whole life. I love to exercise as it gives me a means to release my stress, but the main problem is I love to eat good food and eat out. While I was pregnant with baby 2 and 3 I had bed ridden preeclampsia and gained around 80 pounds with both pregnancies. After baby 2 was born I found out I was pregnant 12 months later and had not lost all of my baby weight from the previous pregnancy. I currently am at a weight loss total of 70 pounds since I had baby number 3 but it has come to a point where I am tired of tracking my macros, and am tired of having to watch every last thing I put in my mouth. I still have 66 more pounds to lose to be at a comfortable weight and sometimes I feel like just giving up. I am at a point where I cant do this alone anymore, I need a support system, but everyone in my life is not so supportive. Thanks for listening to my rant and I hope to get to a few of you!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @craftymomm This is a good place to get support. There a lot of successful people who post here regularly. Keep coming back often and we'll get to know you. It's a long road. Don't give up. I tried to slacken off on tracking my food and exercise, thinking that after losing 95# I surely could just do what I knew and not have to track. Big mistake. I am now 50# from my goal instead of 5#. Good luck to you. Don't get discouraged.
    @Karen I hope the new system works for you. I'm just trying to keep with the suggested 1200 calories suggested by MFP. If I use the calories burned on the Garmin, it comes out to about 500 less than I burned, so that sounds about right.
    It was predicted to be hot again today so Cathy and I walked early this morning. It was beautiful. We even needed a jacket. With 3 days back, I have 2 days under goal and one day over. I'll have to get better, but that's not a bad start. I kept myself busy today making throw pillows for Cathy's counseling office. I got 2 done, 2 to go.
    Have a great Sunday. Onward and downward, Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @kaye-- sounds like you're off to a good start.

Sunday Share:
    Well almost a full week of my new plan and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I haven't been hungry at all, and other than Friday when I ate slightly over maintenance (was shooting for maintenance), I have had no trouble staying within my allowance and even coming pretty darn close on my macros. I've also been sleeping better and have had more energy to work out. I actually ran outside two days in a row!! A 5k yesterday and 2 more miles today. Typically, if I run outside one day, I take a break or go to the gym and do other cardio/strength training the next. However, I had read an article on rhythmic breathing and wanted to try it out. I didn't have a really fast pace today, but I was able to run almost the entire 2 miles with hardly any walking breaks.

Tuesday Goals:
    1. clean fish tank DONE!!!

Grading Goals:
    1. 43/81 writing screeners
    2. x/40 AP quizzes
    3. re-read Fahrenheit 451 ALMOST FINISHED

Run 2 miles in 23 minutes 1x/week: Week 1 = 25:33 & 24:46; Week 2 = 22:37; Week 3 = 25:54 & 26:14
    Run a 5 k in <36 minutes by month's end Week 3 = 38:14

You vs Year Challenge:
    256 k done/ 744 k to go :smile: PAST the 25% mark!!

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + run outside DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Fri-- rest day
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
  • meshell551
    meshell551 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I have just started my weight loss journey (again). I am 29 and need to lose about 150 pounds. This is after losing 80 lbs several years ago and gaining it all back. I need to do it all over again. Honestly though, I have battled with my weight all of my life. Over these two weeks that I have been dieting, I've only lost 3 lbs. I suppose it's a start but I have a lot more to go. Thanks for reading and I hope to get to know some of you soon.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Monday Check-In
    This morning I weighed in at 245, once again. I'm about half-way back from the recent gain I had a couple of weeks ago from a several days of overeating including one big binge on brownies and peanut butter wafers which saw me pack on 10 pounds by the end of that week. Finally starting to feel that excess lifting.

Today is my son'ts birthday. He is 51 today. I made a birthday card for him and emailed it to him last night so he would see it first thing this morning. I hope he has a good day today at work and home and that he feels happy all day. He's such a good guy! Maybe I'll get to take that trip to visit his family in the mid-west sometime this next year. It would be great to see him and spend time in his company.

So ... the two challenges I'm in are helping me to set my weekly goals and I enjoy their activities, but this is my 'home' thread. I welcome all new comers and look forward to reading the posts, although I rarely respond to everyone, or anyone ... you gotta know how much it means to me to read your shares.

Goals for this week
    Calorie intake betw 1200 and 1600 calories a day AND a daily NET calorie deficit. (intake less allowed less exercise).
    7 workout sessions during the week coming from any of the following areas:
    . . Core workouts (15 minutes or more each) done 3 times this week
    . . Walks over 10 minutes long done 2 times this week
    . . Senior chair sttrenbth & toning & stretch exercises done 2 times this week (each is about 30 minutes long)

I also want to deep clean and rearrange the furniture in the bedrooms and front hall..
    The grass needs to be cut front yard and back yard.
    Weed Whacking/String Trimming needs to be done, especially in the cracks of the sidewalk and driveway.

As for last week, I came close on my goals, having done some kind of exercise every day, but only got 1 walk in and did no in/out home projects.

Have a great week everyone!
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Monday Check in

i am doing good. My weight loss has been great even though I am impatient and wish it would magically disappear. I have lost a total of 33 pounds since May. I am still being lazy about working out, but I am sticking to my diet and increasing my activity.

My job interview on Thursday went real well but I haven't been given an offer, so I still have other places I am looking into.

My niece has moved in and is settled into school.
  • Nikion901
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So, the weigh-in time for my challenges has closed for the week and I updated my spreadsheet to measure myself against the other folks in this challenge who also weighed in to start at over 200 pounds. This week, there were only 28 of us who weighed in. .

As for how I'm doing compared to the group, I am neck and neck with this week's participants. As a group, we have lost 7.7 average pounds thus far and with 3 weeks left in this challenge we still have 10 more pounds to trim to make goal.

I am really learning a lot by tracking these weigh-ins. It shows me how much everyone is fluctuating in their weight, and that even with the fluctuations, we ARE on a downward trend.

Hope your scales gave you good news today as well.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    While I was pregnant with baby 2 and 3 I had bed ridden preeclampsia and gained around 80 pounds with both pregnancies.

This is what happened to me. It was so bizarre to me, with the first one. I'd never had an issue with high BP before. Mine started going up before I even knew I was pregnant yet. I remarked to my husband how weird it was. I was on partial bedrest by four months, and full bedrest by six months. I gained a hundred pounds on that bedrest and was completely miserable. By the time he was born, I was so swollen I couldn't wear shoes at all anymore, and it was almost impossible to manipulate my fingers. It was miserable.
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    Sorry I went missing for a couple of days. My family did a little vacation! It was needed! Even though I am under calories I noticed I have been maxing out fat, and others so I am going ok let's get serious Liz! If I really want results I need to start looking at the whole picture!

Tomorrow I go back to work! Grateful for my job but not that excited either!

Need to learn good job boundaries when I leave work it stays there not bring it home and stress all night about it!

I hope everyone has a good night !
    Liz from Idaho
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Started my new part-time shift today, it was SOOO nice to get everything done and know that I could do what was needed and still leave on time.