Addicted to diet coke.. help :(

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I admit, I have not read the entire thread.

Has anyone covered the irony that the owner of a CONFECTIONERY is concerned that one of the only things sold in his store without calories causes weight gain?

After 11 pages I sure hope so...

No, but it was pointed out that as a business owner, this doesn't seem to be a strong support for his business (discouraging purchases).
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I admit, I have not read the entire thread.

Has anyone covered the irony that the owner of a CONFECTIONERY is concerned that one of the only things sold in his store without calories causes weight gain?

After 11 pages I sure hope so...

The irony wasn't lost on me, but every time I try to respond to irony without saying "oh, look, irony," I get in trouble.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Oh how ironic. Lol
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also became rather addicted to in during the first year of my weight loss journey however now I'm not able to drink it without getting stomach pains and feeling sick. I'd recommend trying to cut down before you have to stop drinking it completely. Try and drink water more! I know you said you don't like it but there's nothing better than a big glass of iced water
  • kateleavai
    kateleavai Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    It took my husband 3 separate attempts to kick it. If people brush it off like its no big deal, just know that its not in your head. I watched my husband try and fail twice. Its no joke. That stuff is chemically balanced with the caffeine and sugar and who knows what else to make you crave it. BUT I will say, he quit all soda, has been diet soda (and soda free) for years and is very happy he quit. You don't realize the hold it has on you until you stop drinking it! And he says that now that he's done with it, he really doesn't know what he liked about it. He's had a little since then, and other sodas too, and he can't even drink them any more. We don't drink any sweet beverages, so no sweetened coffee/tea, no soda or juice. We do drink seltzer, and we put stuff in our water like fruit and lemon and such. I say go for it, and fight the good fight! You will save a bunch of money without it, and you will feel better for having done it!

OR- you can consume it in more reasonable quantities... you know... like a responsible adult who can moderate things.

If only it was as easy as moderating it like a responsible adult! If it was that easy there would be no such words as addicted/addiction! Everyone is guilty of being addicted to something; food, drink, shopping, looking at themselves in anything that reflects, taking too many selfies etc... I am addicted to coke zero and chocolate, i have tried cold turkey- get to day 3 sometimes day 4. For me i find if i reward myself by having a treat size milky way every 3rd day and the small can every 4th day (along those lines) i can control it. I do slip up and have 2 weeks of everyday high consumption of both.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kateleavai wrote: »
    It took my husband 3 separate attempts to kick it. If people brush it off like its no big deal, just know that its not in your head. I watched my husband try and fail twice. Its no joke. That stuff is chemically balanced with the caffeine and sugar and who knows what else to make you crave it. BUT I will say, he quit all soda, has been diet soda (and soda free) for years and is very happy he quit. You don't realize the hold it has on you until you stop drinking it! And he says that now that he's done with it, he really doesn't know what he liked about it. He's had a little since then, and other sodas too, and he can't even drink them any more. We don't drink any sweet beverages, so no sweetened coffee/tea, no soda or juice. We do drink seltzer, and we put stuff in our water like fruit and lemon and such. I say go for it, and fight the good fight! You will save a bunch of money without it, and you will feel better for having done it!

OR- you can consume it in more reasonable quantities... you know... like a responsible adult who can moderate things.

If only it was as easy as moderating it like a responsible adult! If it was that easy there would be no such words as addicted/addiction! Everyone is guilty of being addicted to something; food, drink, shopping, looking at themselves in anything that reflects, taking too many selfies etc... I am addicted to coke zero and chocolate, i have tried cold turkey- get to day 3 sometimes day 4. For me i find if i reward myself by having a treat size milky way every 3rd day and the small can every 4th day (along those lines) i can control it. I do slip up and have 2 weeks of everyday high consumption of both.

I was addicted to cigarettes! LOL Don't buy it, that's what I did.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Members like @Aaron_K123 should absolutely be applauded for taking their time to explain away all the myths that constantly are spread around here. He took his time to try to explain the real facts on this topic. @Aaron_K123 thank you. Your truly a breathe of fresh air.

It's unfortunate that some still can't grasp the truth. This place would be so much better if people only gave advice on topics they truly understand. It's really doing a disservice to newcomers when people insist on trying to advise others when they themselves have no idea what they are talking about.

Amen.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    kateleavai wrote: »

If you are addicted to diet coke, I suggest enrolling in a drug rehab program.
  • dennisroc
    dennisroc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Mountain Dew and just started the switch to water. I was on here a few years back and got used to the water. Reading all about how bad diet drinks are you think we would quit.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Right on ogmomma
  • BridgetHarrington
    BridgetHarrington Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the science end of it. But I can speak to my brother and two friends. All three were about 30-40 pounds overweight, and all three drank at least a 6 pack of Diet Coke a day. My brother was going through two 2 litre bottles in work every day! All three decided to or had to (one friend got hypersensitive to caffeine) quit cold turkey. Both friends (females) lost the 30 pounds and then some. My brother lost 55 pounds. No changes in lifestyle, diet or exercise. So you can't convince me that Diet Coke doesn't do something to the metabolism when three unrelated people quit it and made no other life or diet changes and lost a good amount of weight.

I personally don't drink the stuff. I drink plain water, black coffee, unsweetened tea made from tea bags or unflavored seltzer water.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I can't speak to the science end of it. But I can speak to my brother and two friends. All three were about 30-40 pounds overweight, and all three drank at least a 6 pack of Diet Coke a day. My brother was going through two 2 litre bottles in work every day! All three decided to or had to (one friend got hypersensitive to caffeine) quit cold turkey. Both friends (females) lost the 30 pounds and then some. My brother lost 55 pounds. No changes in lifestyle, diet or exercise. So you can't convince me that Diet Coke doesn't do something to the metabolism when three unrelated people quit it and made no other life or diet changes and lost a good amount of weight.

I personally don't drink the stuff. I drink plain water, black coffee, unsweetened tea made from tea bags or unflavored seltzer water.

Magic...

Definitely. Especially since I only started drinking it well into my 50 pound weight loss.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I drank massive amounts of diet coke when I was anorexic and fell to bmi 15.9

Magic...

Definitely. Especially since I only started drinking it well into my 50 pound weight loss.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I drank massive amounts of diet coke when I was anorexic and fell to bmi 15.9

Magic...

Not to derail the topic of the thread but huge kudos for overcoming anorexia and becoming the badass I see in your profile picture.

@Aaron_K123 Thanks! I am deconditioned atm as I am taking a break from the gym for medical reasons (I have fistulizing Crohn's colitis). It was a lot of work and still struggle with dysmorphia but that's life. I went through inpatient, day hospitalization and outpatient treatment. Ironically now I have Crohn's and have to restrict my foods a lot (not calorie wise but for medical reasons). I also was a huge laxative abuser back in the day (12 years ago) and wonder if that contributed to developing crohn's as I have no family his of it but I'll never know.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options

I prefer to believe science. And science says that Diet Coke does not contribute to weight gain.