WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• mamatigerj
    mamatigerj Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    DJ,
    Thank you for your kind words. I will be praying for your friend, her DD and Grands.

Blessings,
    Juanita
    Central Texas
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, The results of my MRI came back to my doctor two days after the test....she called me with the results and told me that she wanted to send a referral to a neurosurgeon and see what he suggested. So far I've gotten two calls from the neurosurgeon's office asking for more information....they got the results from the nerve conduction test I had in November and that has been given along with the MRI to the neurosurgeon...I haven't heard anything more yet, but the process has started.

:)Janet, Here is how Sasha relaxes:

mzuxvna1iveq.jpeg
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allie I am crying with you. Have you checked his temperature???? LOL Enjoy the car and his moment of tenderness.

My daughter Christina made me my spreadsheet. We were facebookmessaging each other. I am not god at more detailed dechnology and and to some of you this is not advcance technology but to me it is. I can't even understand sometimes that I can use the computer monitor when it isn't connected to the internet. Since we were 'talking' on our iPad, I was trying to download something she wanted me to but she finally got me to understand I needed to do it on my phone or computer. I gave her my gmail address and password and she accessed it and filled it out. She told me to send her a picture of what I was doing so she could start it. I told her I doubted she could and I was right. But I think I can transpose what I have into what she made for me. But she will be here Sunday night and if I need further help she will be there. I have told you about Holiday World, the amusement park around here. It has gotten numerous international and national awards for its roller coaster and has a wonderful water park and fantastic water roller coaster. It has been an annual trip for our family for years. Well this year Michelle and Christina and family will be doing it with out us. Then they will come to Evansville for supper and go home on Monday. I think part of it is that she wants to check on her parents. Only thing they will not have is my handicap pass which gives a lot of benefits. To bad so sad! If Christina's obesity continues the way it has been it won't be long before she will need one herself.

Have my quilting buddy coming tomorrow!!!!!! She is the one who got me started on it and helped me. Then her husband who had Parkinson's wanted to go back home to Arkansas while he still was mobile. He died about a month ago although the shell of his body had died 2 year ago. So we are meeting with some of our other 'old nurse's club'. Mornings are my worst time as far as staying upright without wanting to pass out. So I hope I can safely drive the short way to where we are meeting. We are meeting early and won't have to wait.

Got to go take a shower!

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    StAts for the day
    Rde hm 2 gym- 10.04min, 15.3amph, 138mhr, 2.5mi = 84c
    treadmill- WALK/SKIP/SIDESTEP/SCISSORS- 18.18min, 14.06ap, 4.0-4.2sp, .5-1.0incl, 11.0speed burst, 154mhr, 1.30mi = 150c
    other- 22min, on bench step, ab work, etc. 133mhr = 105c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5.07min, 12.2amph, 131mhr, 1mi = 46c
    Ride dome 2 hm- 17.33min, 154mhr, 8.8amph, 2.5mi= 190c
    Total cal 575
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did a Lift Weights to Lost Weight DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a bosu DVD

Today we go to lunch with the Newcomers. Originally I was scheduled for the Green Room. Now I wish I hadn't cancelled. The menu really doesn't look all that good.

Miriam - so glad you're better.

want8 - welcome! If you're looking for a group that posts, you've certainly come to the right place. You may even have trouble keeping up with all the posts. Good idea not to set too many goals.

Carol - I know that many times I just need to finish up the bad foods so that they are no longer tempting me and I can get back on track

Juanita - great goals! I like the "try a belly dance DVD" Do you know which one you're going to try?

Went to lunch with the Newcomers. Not bad -- but I don't think I'll go back there. It was too expensive for what you got. they talked about other places they were thinking of going to. There was only one that I was even the least bit interested in. We shall see what happens.

After the lunch Vince went to the bowling alley for Newcomers while I went to the store right near there to get some fish for next week. I'll probably prepare it tomorrow since it's supposed to be raining a lot. Saw the gal and her hubby who we are supposed to go to the ballgame with tomorrow and it doesn't look like that's going to happen. She talked about going there for dinner but I'll just suggest maybe we come over later for dessert (I made brownies to take with me) and then maybe we'd play some games. I know she and her husband are really into games.

While I was buying the fish, I saw that this is the store where I got the small container of chitlings last time we had a Halloween party. I use a few for "intestines" and just donate the rest. Then I saw something called "pigs brains". Don't know what it looks like but they had something in a can with a picture. It really did look like a brain. Just not sure how big it is. That might be interesting for a "brain" decoration.

then Vince went to the bank and home. I made the brownies, had dinner, then made some "pops" (the greek yogurt and OJ concentrate). Oh, took the strawberries out of the freezer for use and also the mushrooms -- put those in a bag. Oh, made short ribs for Vince to have during the week. Made them in the pressure cooker. They were, literally, falling off the bone. Hope the meat is good. WalMart doesn't carry the best quality of meats, I don't think.

Do you know that I think I've only had one UTI that I can remember? Someone had to tell me what the burning was. Isn't that sad, I didn't know! But it went away.

janetr - poor Oscar, what DID you do to him???? lol

At lunch had a portobello mushroom with kale chips as the side, just water to drink. There were roasted red pepper, onions but I was surprised that there was only 1 slice of pineapple. So I logged a cup of pineapple and figure that'll take care of the calories for everything else. Wasn't too crazy about how they made the kale chips. They used the whole leaf of the kale so when you go to the rib part it was so tough. Really, since you couldn't eat that part, there really wasn't very much that you could eat. Asked them not to give me the bun or put the cheese on it. Also asked that it not be cooked in whatever glaze they usually cook it in. It was still pretty good. But I don't think we'll be going back.

Heather - thanks for sharing what you learned about exercising. Do tell what you find out about the hand grip.

Sue in TX - do they have to give you the injection in your eye? If they do, they must numb the eye first, right?

DJ - oh, there was a lot of free stuff at that Expo. Honestly I think some people also came for their lunch. But it's not like someplace was serving sandwiches. Only ice cream sandwiches and different candies. I did get some mints, tho. Now I wish I'd gotten more. Maybe if I can get Vince to go next year, we can get more bags. Glad you're getting an Aldi. We're getting a Publix. I go to the one in FL when we're down there. They are on the expensive side, but they also do carry some things that you just can't find anywhere else. Be safe in this storm. We're supposed to get rain all day tomorrow, it's supposed to be worse in Charlotte and even worse as you go south. The interesting thing is that the HIGH is supposed to be 71. Keeping your friend in my thoughts

Alison - how sweet of Tom to get that car for you. what color is it? Friends of mine have an Equinox and love it.

NYKaren - tell us how you like the TRX class. It's some great workout, that's for sure. You use a lot of abs

Michele in NC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Did my hot tub workout for an hour, and mowed my yard and pulled weeds for a couple of hours. So nice to not be feeling awful! Antibiotics can do wonders!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,082 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Alison :smile: :smile: :smile:
    DJ prayers for friend's daughter!
    Miriam glad you are feeling better!

Logged today!
    :heart: Margaret
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Benevolent Beauties!

Another day and a three day weekend! I love Fridays, anyway – Jammies day for me… I get to work in the comfort of my own home – it’s almost like having an extra day off… I can get a load or two of laundry done while I am “at the office.” LOVE it. It’s the one day of the week when I don’t hit the gym before work… I sleep in, and enjoy a lazy morning – and then DH and I go after I am done working.

Add Labor Day into the mix, and Life is Grand!

++++++++++++++

Pip – *waves* Hola, Chica!

Joyce – Well… I guess you have to keep taking those medications, Miss Joyce… Tell your Sister you are busy taking care of yourself! That really needs to be your answer to everyone, for a bit. Please do be careful with the driving… an auto accident surely won’t help any of your health issues… (Hugs!)

Linder7866 – Hello!

Michele – I peruse the 2nd hand stores for holiday/party stuff, too – there is always a lot of it – and sometimes it is really nice. So, do you do a major Halloween bash? Your intestine and brain ideas are properly gross and disgusting… so that’s a great start! LOL.

Beth – Weighing daily is a challenge… sometimes it is frustrating when the weight is up and down and all around – so long as you can let that go, it will be fine.

Kay – I also have a push mower… I never count things like shopping as exercise – but the lawn is hot, hard, sweaty work. I always count that. Glad to know you were just trying to round out an incredible day… I am lucky if I make 6000 steps… I am still in awe. :]

Janet – Our favorite “Happy RV-er”… Oscar is a cutie! But, um… maybe not a vicious guard dog… LOL. Hope his people will take good care of your place for you. Oh yeah. We have a squirrel that lays like that on our roof and deck. We call her Sprawl.

Katla – You rocked the August goals! Good luck on September. I am cheering for you! Hope the weather cooperates.

Mary – the dip experiment – I LOVE Hidden Valley Ranch dip with my veggies – however, it is completely lacking in anything nutritious, and it comes with vats of fat and calories. (Sour Cream Base.) The experiment is that I am going to see if running Cottage Cheese thru the food processor with the Hidden Valley Ranch dry mix will make an acceptable substitute for me. I am not much of one for substitutions – but even I know I can’t suck down cups of sour cream dip without consequences… hence the experiment. Of course, Sue, Smart Chick that she is, has already tried that – and gives it the thumbs up. High protein, low fat, flavor... that's the plan, anyway.

Marcelle – Yes!! – hit that gym, whether you “feel like it” or not. Eventually, you will “just do it” and that is half the battle.

Carey<3

Lisa – It’s a pain, I know… but “If I log, I lose…If I log, I lose…If I log, I lose….” You can do it!

NYKaren – (Hugs!) Please, step away from the BarBQue… *sighs* I love that stuff, too. Oh… that muscle ache will be a “righteous” kind of pain, but, I bet you will feel it.

Allie – You always have so much going on… I am in awe… your time management skills must be honed to a sharp edge. Glad DGD had a good first day! Sorry about the DD drama. And Major Gratz on the new car!

Miriam – Sleep is always a healing thing, too. So glad you are feeling a bit better.

Want8me9bk – Welcome! I am with you on the few goals thing. I get overwhelmed and stressed out about them – so, I just don’t do them, in a list form.

Carol – Pizza is not a bad thing…in moderation. We do pizza as a one-slice type of event, at my house. Every so often, we get a HUGE deep dish pizza from the local Chicago Pizza around the corner. SOOO good – but, the first thing I do is take three quarters of the pizza and freeze it in quarter-pizza packets… three slices – two for DH – one for me. Then, we have three future meals of delicious pizza – and there is no guilt about eating it. NEVER giving up my pizza… Plus, it’s one more meal I don’t have to cook... just throw the foil-wrapped slices into the oven, heat and eat.

Barbie – You take such good care of us! And Sasha is adorable.

Melanie – (HUGS!) You let us know if there is anything we can do to help you with that particular goal!

Margaret – You know how to do it… You know you can. (Hugs!) And yeah, whenever I am going out, if I know where… I try to pre-log. It really does help.

Rori – Nice profile pic!

Lily – Take care of yourself… it’s hard to stay focused when you are hurting. You blew past those fitness goals last month. Let’s see you blow past the personal ones, this month. (Hugs!)

Mary – bet you are being too hard on yourself on the food and drink choices. Whatever you are doing, it can't be TOO bad... Lookin' GOOD, Sugar! (Hugs!)

Juanita – Hello! Logging is the bomb! I didn’t intend to change anything when I started – I was just going to track what I was eating – but, it was almost a compulsion… when I saw that I could easily start eating at the CICO goal, I just started doing it. You will have to let us know how the belly dance video goes… that one sounds like fun to me.

Heather – Sounds like a fun day… and great job on getting back and doing your workout!

Charleen – if you lose 3 pounds EVERY month – you will be down 12 by the New Year… and another 36 in 2017… it might not be lightning speed – but you are moving in the right direction. And yeah, um, not as flexible as I used to be, either… that’s why my dream is a postage stamp sized condo with NO exterior maintenance. Hope the knee stops whining, soon!

SueBDew – Golf is great for steps… Enjoy the cooler weather! I know I will.

DJ – (Hugs) Thinking good thoughts for your friends DD.

Linda/IA – I have just adopted the “I am going to the gym every day, come *kitten* or high water” mentality. I just go, even if I have to go at night, after work. Besides, if I don’t go, I have to worry about coming in under calorie goal… and that’s a drag.

Sue – Sounds like those exercises cover some good stuff… Good luck!

KarenE – Good luck with the weekday exercise… schedule it in… after a while it will become natural. I have a friend at the office who walks the ramp in the parking garage… three flights up… it’s a good way to get in some high intensity steps.

++++++++++++++

Well, its baked Salmon and Corn on the Cob for dinner, tonight. DH has the oven pre-heating and the water on to boil, so I have to run!

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Re- I won't give up my Hidden Valley Ranch! I eat it all the time. Just in moderation! My DH buys me the gallon size through work. I go through 1 every 4months.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • 19forever
    19forever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I hope it's not too late to join your thread. I could definitely use some motivational help this month.
    Due to illnesses, my husband and my 24 year old son are severely underweight and need to gain pounds and strength any way possible. They both have their own set of dietary restrictions but calories is not one of them! Meanwhile, I need to lose about 30 lbs. Healthy food choices will not be an easy task for me with these two around!!
    My goal for September is simple - just take it one day at a time!!

Sandra, Ontario Canada
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    re hayyyy gurllllll!!!!!!

Grandmallie awwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Sandra: Welcome. You joined by posting. My DH is also underweight, although quite strong.

Heather: I do HIIT in the form of Tabatas. There is an app that my trainer told me about which could be set to automatically ping me when it was time to rest, then pick up again with high intensity. I just got back into doing them 2 months ago. Finally got the scale to budge, and I think this strategy was instrumental.

Michele: You make me want to go to a senior expo. Can you believe it's been a year since we met at your house?
    Has anyone heard from NCCarol???

Katla: Thanks for the link to face exercises. New fun stuff to try in the gym.

Pip: For someone who said she doesn't like fundraising, you are doing an excellent job for MS! What happened???

Joyce: I am on computers all day, almost every day, and still struggle with Excel. Sending you energy to help with pain.

Re: You are lucky to have Friday's at home. I've been working from home since 2001 and cannot imagine going back into the commuter scene. Telecommuting rocks.

Goals for September will be same as August.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills,

September Goals:
    Continue abstaining from alcohol.
    Eat mindfully
    Add tabata intervals to exercise routine 2x per week
    Weigh less at the end of the month
    Practice Reiki daily
    My word for 2016: Optimism

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie, that is so cute. That's exactly how Flash, our Boston Terrier, sleeps the majority of the time. They are so much fun and very entertaining. We've had a great time today with Oscar. We discovered he loves to put both front paws in the water dish and splash and splash. lol Think I'll look for him a kiddy pool for the backyard. I think he would enjoy it. We'll have 4-6 weeks of warm weather yet.

Janetr OKC
  • jjfromkc813
    jjfromkc813 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Due to various reasons, not the most productive or active day today - so I'll start goals tomorrow. Which will be:

1) keep logging - even if it goes over what I should have :neutral:
    2) hit goal of 7000 steps at least 2 days every week
    3) Add 15 seconds to elliptical workout every session.

That's all I can deal with for now

Jessica in Illinois
  • janetr7476
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Michele wrote - "janetr - poor Oscar, what DID you do to him???? lol"

Isn't that the funniest? I know it looks like he got scolded, huh? He lays like that pretty much all the time. He's been cracking me up all day. He wanted Flash to play tug of war with him and he was almost stuffing the toy into Flash's mouth.

Re - lovin the name "Sprawl" too funny. Oscar's "people person" is Jack's youngest son. He'll take good care of it or else answer to his Dad lol

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Sue – my god daughter is lactose intolerant too, and as found that milk product that has been cooked is much easier on her than un-cooked milk product – so for example cheese on pizza fine, cheese sliced on a cracker no go…

Pip – great job on meeting your goal!

Miriam – take care

Carol – the hairdo is peachy!!! LOL I could not resist… it is great!

KarenE – Buttermilk, I too do not know what to do with the carton of buttermilk, but found this powdered buttermilk, so you just mix up what you need, SACO cultured Buttermilk… 1 tablespoon for each ¼ cup of water, mix and use… it is 80 calories a prepared cup…

Cheri – you can do this! And all of us are cheering you on….

Katla – So glad DH is seeing some improvement in his med change… this was the one he did his own research on wasn’t it…

Charleen – “(My body is a loosely confedrated group of trash talking body parts) “ this had me laughing out loud… love it…

DJ – So sad for your friends daughter, but the kids have to come first I hope it can be an arrangement that includes contact between mom and children

Allie -hip hip hooray for Tom, I am so glad he did that for you.

Joyce – glad Christina helped! And so glad you will see your quilting friend.

Michele – I think the grocery store names are interesting we don’t have any you mention except Walmart.

So I did ok with August goals, did not get my weight to budge but considering the month included my birthday (and weeks of celebration) and a camping trip I’m not too worried about it. I have gotten better on how to handle the manage the new job, the amount of exercise, food and water balance… I am still dealing with getting the quantity of protein…I am not a great meat fan, and the protein’s I love (peanut butter and cheese) are very high in calories.. tonight I tried quinoa – I had a salad made with it and thought it was ok, but saw a side dish mix with it and brown rice, so tried it tonight, a bit salty (what should I expect out of boxed mix – LOL) but really good, I will try to re-create it from scratch - and the protein is so much better than plain rice.

August Goals:
    2 fun things a week, visiting with college prof, walking tour of tea gardens, birthday hike, learning to set and catch a gopher, planning camping trip, dinner at a new Chinese restaurant, trying coffee beer. 4 fab! Days of camping

Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption -

September goals:
    2 fun things a week
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday
    Work on water consumption

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Logged today!
    <3 Margaret

WAY TO GO!!!

Janetr okc
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele, I was director of the children's choir at a church I belong to and I inherited my Mom's imagination. So I made a body bag and wrote a story about it. We have a small creek close to the church and the story was that there was murder and the police was asking for everyone to help solve it. They fond a small body bag in the creek. So I then opened up the bag and with the lights off,, we went through the bag. Being a nurse I had access to all sorts of things. All IVs were started with disposable tournaments. So I took a bunch of those, had a lot of artificial blood and really let those sit in that 'blood' for awhile and they were quite gooey. I went to the grocery store and found the most rotten looking grapes I could find, they didn't mind letting me having those for free. Those were the eyes, I took some twigs, used some disposable gloves and filled them with water and put them in the freezer. When they were partially frozen I placed the twigs in the fingers and hand. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a round flower form , roughed it up a bit. Soaked all these things in blood. Oh, the best things was the heart. We used those stress balls at work and one was in the shape of a heart. I took one of the 'jumping' frogs. The jumping part was a squeeze thing powered by a pump you held. So I inserted this in the stress ball heart. When the kids examined the heart, I would squeeze ball and the heart would pump. I loved it. Had a lot of fun doing it.

If an Aldi's comes to town, it won't take long to build it. Ours went up quick.

Well B/P is 125/69 so no blood pressure medicines tonight. That will be a first. I have only taken one B/P pill today.

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Rori - I've been thinking of and missing Carol from NC. Hope all is ok with her.

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: DH decided to get off of baclofen for his MS. So far, so good. We've seen reports online that others have found it stopped being effective over time. DH didn't like how it made him feel and it decided it was not helping any longer. He is still taking other medications that have been more helpful. I am really happy that he's taking a more active part in the decisions affecting this treatment. People need to be active participants in medical decisions affecting them, in my opinion. I think he expects to work with his MS doctor in decision making, but he wants a more active role than he has taken in the past. I have my fingers crossed that this goes well, and also a level of confidence that it will prove to be a step in the right direction. :heart: