24-Sep:
    25-Sep: <Life Day>
    26-Sep:
    27-Sep:
    28-Sep:
    29-Sep:
    30-Sep:

exercise.png

So nice to have a little bit cooler temps for running. Unfortunately, summer ISN'T actually over. We're looking for an overnight low of about 69 degrees for the Labor Day Road Race (instead of the 64/65 I was hoping for earlier last week). I suspect that there are still some hot sweaty runs left to endure before we have a real change.

Upcoming Races:
    05-Sep: Labor Day Road Race 10K
    10-Sep: Glazin' a Trail Donut Run 5K, Centerville
    17-Sep: Race for Education 5K, Warner Robins
    24-Sep: Georgia Golden Olympics 5K
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon
    29-Oct: Jay's Hope 10K, Macon
    05-Nov: Ridge Run 5K, Macon
    12-Nov: FUMC 5K, Warner Robins
    03-Dec: Reindeer Run (10K), Macon
    26-Dec - 01-Jan: Random running in JAPAN!
    14-Jan: Museum of Aviation HM, Warner Robins
    04-Mar: Albany/Snickers HM, Albany
    25-Mar: Cherry Blossom Road Race 10K, Macon
    08-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K/15K, Macon
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ended up making it up north as my flight took off on time last night despite the lingering winds, and got in a nice run this morning with a friend through the trails. It was amazing running in 70 degree low humidity weather, and I'm regretting not returning up north 2 weeks back for the prior baseball homestand as I definitely miss the cooler weather.

Looks like my folks will be without power for a full week, so they are crashing at my place on the beach while I'm back up north. The guest bedroom was all set and the luckily I had the place relatively clean for their arrival. Still, I may expedite my order for a replacement table for the patio as they'll need to eat inside otherwise, or they can just pick up a 28.5x28.5 sheet of glass from home depot as a short term solution and drop on top.

9/1 - 6 miles (treadmill)
    9/2 - 10 miles
    9/3 - 12 miles

Total: 28 miles
    Goal: 190 miles, 8 MP+ faster sessions
    Remaining: 162 miles

@ddmom0811 - I think the few weather channel folks who reported from my area about the storm (vs. up in the big bend) may have overblown the severity but were looking for a more posh and safe place to hang out for providing coverage. Didn't even lose power.

@mobycarp - Hope the race tomorrow goes well. Seemed to remember my ex was pretty dead at the end of the race on the high school track (as she needed to walk up the hill near the end), but it looked like a very scenic course. Now I'm tempted to try a trail HM here next weekend (montour trail half) as I'd like to get a better gauge on my fitness and potential time for Chicago, but will watch the weather and just sign up if it is looking promising. Still, I'll need to get in a 20 miler mid-week to keep my Chicago plan on track.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I don't have an appt. I did have a basic physician look at this in March or April when it first appeared and was told "muscle strain- don't run on it for awhile". I took some days off and it cleared up, no problem. Odd thing is this time it came back while I was already off running resting the other leg calf/shin thing. I got that other leg all better and I'm stuck with this nagging pain behind that knee. It doesn't act at all like runner's knee/it band. I can't find anything that sounds right. I really think it's just a muscle strain and all the exercise I do is aggravating it. I even think my increased walking while I wasn't running has been a problem. So I'll try a couple weeks of not doing anything to bother it. Sigh. It's an odd area that I can't stretch or roll either.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    no run today, 40 mile bike day... tomorrow calls for 12 miles.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Back for September. Aim for 35 this month. Good luck all.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a chance to post the last few days - work is crazy again! Both of my runs have been squeezed in around lunch time in the heat!
    Last night we went to our last concert of the season at the Hollywood Bowl with our group. We were worried about traffic so we left super early and traffic was not an issue! We got there so early (4:30 for an 8:00 concert :))and of course started eating and drinking... well between too much food and wine, good friends, a great concert under the stars and a very late night I ended up sleeping in until almost 9 this morning! Rest day for me!

I spent this morning reading through and getting all caught up. So good to see all the newbies and welcome back some of you we have missed seeing (@MrsKGrady, @WhatMeRunning, @7lenny7). I have to say I am saddened to see how many are out with injuries (@ariceroni, @Elise4270, @cljoe7, @greenolivetree)! I hope you all are healing well and back to running soon!
    @dkabambe - take care of that ankle!
    @sparklyglitterbomb - beautiful picture!
    @karllundy and @louubelle16 - hope you feel better soon!!
    @RespectTheKitty - my husband bowled for the Navy and semi-professionally. A few years back he got rid of his shoes and ball over my protests. I would love to get him bowling again just for some exercise but he won't go. I even got him a gift certificate for his birthday in March and he still hasn't used it :(
    So glad that the hurricane didn't cause more damage @Ohhim and others in Florida!

Did anyone feel the earthquake in Oklahoma this morning?

Date.........Miles........Total
    09/01.......5.23.........5.23 + Strength training and Rally
    09/02.......4.67.........9.90 - SLOG Run
    09/03.......0.00.........9.90 - Rest

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    02/07/16 - Surf City Half Marathon
    02/20/16 - Divas Half Marathon - Temecula
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    08/21/16 - Tiki Beach 10k, Huntington Beach

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @dkabambe - take care of that ankle!

Thanks - will do. Don't think it's anything bad and tomorrow is a rest day anyhow - maybe some upper body/core strength work since I missed a session this week. Given it's no worse than it was this morning despite gardening and running, I'm hoping it'll be fine after a days proper rest! Hope so, as want to extend my distance next week.

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Already 8 pages on the 3rd? I knew I'd regret not checking in here daily! This week was crazy busy - I still managed a little running and cycling, just didn't have any time to write about it ;)
    My run today started much later than planned. But after not getting enough sleep the last couple of nights, finally staying in bed for 8-9 hours seemed more important than getting an early start. Fortunately, we had a few clouds in the morning, so it still "only" 24C/75F when I headed out. My training plan called for 10km at "marathon pace". Admittedly, I should also have done 16km at MP last week, but skipped that due to the heat. At least this shorter tempo run today sounded doable; and it was: I ran 10.4km in 1h:07, which is close enough to the planned 10.0km in 1h:05 that I'm happy.

I'm planning on going to bed ridiculously early tonight, so that I can get up horribly early tomorrow and do a long run. Not that I'll ever be a fan of morning running, but I'm leaving on a work trip after lunch, so its either get up horribly early & do a long run, or get up at a civilised time & a short run or no run at all *sigh*

--

@9voice9 Woohoo, congrats on that great 10mi run!

@sparklyglitterbomb Cool, watching all those balloons lauch is entertaining for sure. I would probably have been much too tempted to stand around until they were all airborne, instead of running on ;-)

@Elise4270 Sorry your recovery is going so slow! :-(

@greenolivetree Nice photos, that looks like a beautiful place to run! Apart from the murderous things falling from trees, that is. Sorry about your knee, I hope it's nothing serious.

@mobycarp Sounds like this week is an awesome start into retirement. And already some nice bling before the HM, nice :)

@katharmonic and @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Congratulations on the distance PRs!

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    I was standing in the bathroom about to go walk/Run when the earthquake hit. It felt weird to head out like nothing happened!

I should've mentioned I think it's my popliteus muscle bothering me. And probably my love affair with hill repeats causes it. Lol. Gotta try running flat after I've rested it thoroughly.

My hubby owns 2 bowling balls and we both have our own shoes. Haven't been for awhile. Golf is his true love. I'm terrible at bowling anyway.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - I am terrible at bowling too which is part of the problem with my husband - I can encourage him and go and watch but it is not something we can do together. It frustrates him to no end that I just 'can't get it' and I get frustrated with his constant corrections...
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

@RespectTheKitty Aaaah, you bowl? I was on a bowling league for 12 years (kindergarten through high school). I used to have my own ball and shoes and everything. I had to quit though because a 3-step approach + running meant that one side of my body was stronger than the other and my hips came out of alignment which was HUGELY painful, and I decided I liked running more. But I love going bowling with people from time to time because 99% of the time I kick their butts ;)

Yeppers. I carry a 184 average. :smile:

I know what you mean about one side being stronger though. There's a good 5 pound difference between what weights I can use for bicep curls on each arm.

184 is seriously impressive! It's been years and years since I bowled that well. I keep trying to cajole my running friends to go bowling with me, but they refuse :'(
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    9/2 - 3 Miles
    9/3 - 10 Miles

13 complete of 80 miles.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Since I did not go running yesterday morning, I went this morning. I don't usually run on Saturdays, but I think I'm going to keep doing it. It put me in a much better mood to deal with the obnoxious parents at my son's bowling league afterwards. Normally going there is torture, but the run really helped me deal.

I did my loop backwards, which meant I went through goose poop territory at the end of my run rather than the beginning. I took it out a little further and went to the Prairie Path. Saturday morning must really be THE time to run, because I saw more people out running this morning than I ever have. A lady had set up a table along side the path, and she had posted signs along the path that said stuff like, "Keep going!" and "Believe in yourself!" As I ran past her she said hello and asked me what I was training for. I told her I was just training for my health, and she said, "Great! Keep it up!" and that was really nice.

9/1 - 4 miles running
    9/2 - 2.2 miles walking
    9/3 - 4.2 miles running

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @greenolivetree - I am terrible at bowling too which is part of the problem with my husband - I can encourage him and go and watch but it is not something we can do together. It frustrates him to no end that I just 'can't get it' and I get frustrated with his constant corrections...

When we first started I seriously bowled like 42 :( I eventually got where I could average around 100 and I was okay with that and quit getting so mad. Lol. I get strikes and spares but then I'll throw a gutter ball after a spare and lose the bonus points. Grrr. I've seen him top 200 many times. Big stinker!
  • libelulla1
    libelulla1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Exceeded my goal of 45 miles last month, so I'll bump it up to 50.

9/1 3.0 mi (6mph avg, fastest in months)

Goal: 50 mi
    Total: 3
    47 to go
  • untermrad
    untermrad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group, only relatively new to running.
    I'm going to aim for 100 miles this month. Here is my progress so far:

9/1 6.3 miles
    9/3 6.2 miles, split into two equal runs as I started out way too fast.

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks, @louubelle16 Hoping you recover from being poorly soon. Good luck with finishing your MA!

Yay, @9voice9 and @katharmonic for your 10 milers! You're both showing very good progress!

@dkabambe Good luck with your ankle.

@Elise4270 Just what the Grumpy Cat are we going to do with you? It seems like ages since your surgery. What date was it? Big hugs.

Hugs for @greenolivetree too.

MobyCarp wrote: »
    I love being retired. It's great to have running drive the schedule instead of having to fit running into the schedule.

@MobyCarp Love this! :heart: Love how you fit volunteering into the schedule too. Good man.

I'm quite lucky in that I only work 4 days a week, 24 hours in total, so I have a bit more time to exercise than a lot of people do. but retirement sounds awesome!

@jodilynnsanders5104 Wow, you went from a 5K distance PB to over 10K? Impressive!

Welcome @untermrad ! You're off to a good start on your 100 mile goal for the month! How long have you been running?