September 2016 Biking Cycling Bicycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• cld1185
    cld1185 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to cycling, but use the Peloton... I try and use my bike at minimum 3x/week. So, my goal will be 150 mile for September.
  • Missnu13
    Missnu13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Day 1. 25 miles Fin..
    Sept 5 25 miles Fin..

50/250
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Kevolar wrote: »
    I'd also suggest that you join the Century+ Cycling group (don't worry, the 100+km or miles is optional;) ) because there's all sorts of interesting challenges that are going on in there - especially if you're on Strava, as we've an "automated" system online which actually harvests the rides (outdoors or indoor trainer stuff (like Zwift, TrainerRoad, Sufferfest, Tacx VR Rides etc.) , as long as its on strava - it'll count for our Winter Challenge League.

I'll definitely second that - the group, the CycLeagues app and TheBigYin's challenge spreadsheets are fabulous motivation - they drove me to nearly double my best every monthly mileage over the course of the summer challenge.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been alternating walking with riding over the summer but I'm going back to work tomorrow, so I will be riding 12 km (about 7 mi) or further when commuting by bike. In past years as the winter weather begins I've tended to slack off, but I've bought a new light and new rain pants to support my efforts to keep riding after summer fades.
  • stuhldreier
    stuhldreier Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1.9.16 - RPM class - 20 miles
    2.9.16 - Road Ride - 21 miles
    3.9.16 - RPM class - 20 miles
    4.9.16 - Road Ride - 24.5 miles

Total 85.5 miles out of 300.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Jump started my cycling commute - two weeks before I need to. Got to get back in the saddle.
    5 Sept - 12 kms today on my son's Giant mountain bike. Felt great!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Missed a 54 mi club ride yesterday. Sesamoiditis.

But I think I'll hit my 320 mi goal anyway.
    91.25 mi down
    228.75 remaining.
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Just found this group. I love riding my recumbent bike. I'm gonna start tomorrow. Don't know how many Miles I can do-- I'm an MS patient. I'll do my best, though.
  • smyle5
    smyle5 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    9/2 26.4 miles
    9/3 24.1 miles
    9/5 35.4 miles

85.9/250

Longest consecutive miles I have done. I was a little sluggish at the end, but rode my x-road bike thinking we were doing more trail style riding today... lovely day with a lovely headwind to ride into all the way back :-)
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Just more commuting mileage this week. Toying with Riding to DC Thu-Sat as my team (Pirates) are playing horribly, but will play it by ear as it is a bit hot and I'm not sure how Hermine will figure into the mix.

9/3 - 19 miles
    9/4 - 12 miles
    9/5 - 14 miles

Total: 46 miles
    Goal: 621 miles
    Remaining: 576 miles
  • BeckyCMcClinton
    BeckyCMcClinton Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 6.51
    9/3 - 7.06
    9/5 - 7.02

September 20.59/130 miles
    August 130.46 /120 miles
    July 124.10/120 miles
    June 25- 30, 28.48 Miles (No Goal)

YTD:338.56 miles
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    September 4th 15.3 Miles -- Duration 1:59:07

September Total Miles: 15.3
    September Total Duration: 1:59:07
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    2/9 15.2 Architectural antiques Tadley
    6/9 13.2 Burghfield St Mary's Church

Feeling really happy with the bike these days. Now I think it's time to discover some new destinations. I dont generally spend more than 2 hours out and about, usually less, but I feel now I could go further. It's very hilly where I live, which limits my distances a bit, have any of you more experienced MFP cyclists any advice about where to take this next? Goals or approaches? I still seem quite slow as other cyclists often overtake me.
  • ending_start
    ending_start Posts: 20 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'll join this challenge! I actually bike to work everyday which ranges from 6-10km each way
    depending on the route I take. Looking at my year to day, I think I'm going to aim for 500km
    for September.

Had a decent 6km ride into work today; not super busy even for being "rush" hour after a holiday which was nice. Forgot my GPS but made it in roughly the same time as normal so I estimate I biked an average speed of 20-22km.

Sept - 30.5
    Aug - 442.1
    Jul - 452.8
    Jun - 539
    May - 388.2
    Apr - 276.2
    Mar - 230
    Feb - 153.4
    Jan - 91.1

• kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well-- 1st day in a long while.
    9/6- 6.00
  • JBliss1108
    JBliss1108 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I set an aggressive goal (for me) last month and then had numerous scheduling conflicts that interfered with riding. I'll set this month's goal at 175 miles again.

9.5 21.6 miles

MTD 21.6 Miles
    To Goal: 153.4
  • JBliss1108
    JBliss1108 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Quick question for the community, especially those with children...

I'm really struggling finding time to ride. How do you juggle family time with little kids (age 5&3)/work/other life responsibilities and have time to ride? My schedule goes some thing like this...

6:00 - kids up; get ready for school and daycare
    7:20 - out the door
    8-5 - work
    5-8 - supper, family/play time, baths

The kids are in bed and asleep by 8:30. So, I either get up at 4:50 AM or go at 9:00. I find it difficult through the week. Weekends are easier but it's tough to log the kind of miles I'd like to only having two days to ride. And those weekend days aren't completely free. There's only a couple hour window on the weekends before family obligations, etc. start.

Any thoughts on how to juggle these items and still fit some extra riding in?

• johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    1st 13.98 mi Road Cycling 50:37 747 kCal 16.6 mi/h mi/h
    3rd 40.04 mi Road Cycling 2:14:28 2,220 kCal 17.9 mi/h mi/h
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

have any of you more experienced MFP cyclists any advice about where to take this next? Goals or approaches? I still seem quite slow as other cyclists often overtake me.

The way that I increase my mileage is by increasing previous rides by a small percentage, like say, 10%. So if I do a 30 mile ride on a Saturday, the next Saturday I would ride 33 miles.

As far as speed goes, that will come in time. I usually only do long rides on the weekend, and try and work on my speed during the week on shorter rides. By increasing your mileage, you will improve your stamina, which will result in more speed on the shorter rides. My first recorded rides, I was only able to do about 10 mph, I'm hitting 20+ mph and have rides greater than 60+ miles now, trying to work my way up to 100.

I would suggest getting one of the biking apps so you can track your progress. I use MapMyRide. Others on here use Strava, and there are other apps available. Pick one and try it an see which one you like. I have 3 yrs of ride history built up in MMR now. I had too much history recorded before I found out about the others.

That's what worked for me - YMMV.

• tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    JBliss1108 wrote: »
    Quick question for the community

Any thoughts on how to juggle these items and still fit some extra riding in?

Sorry, can't help you on this one. I'm an empty nester, so I have more free time available. But it sounds like the only time you would have available is a you mentioned, either early in the morning before kids get up, or after they go to bed at night.

For both of those times, you would need to look at some good lighting accessories for your bike, like a good headlight and a tail light.