September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Schedule called for speed work today. I said screw that and did 3 easy miles instead. I know it's better to stick with the slow stuff if I'm not getting in all my miles each week.

I think I'm having shin splints in my right leg. My right calf has been pretty tight, and when I run, my shin starts to burn. I stopped after about a mile today and massaged it for about 5 minutes, then was ok again. Could still feel a little twinge of burning, but it wasn't nearly as bad. It is worst when I flex my foot upward. I'm assuming this is a true shin splint--can't say I've ever had them before, to be honest. It's incredibly uncomfortable, but not really debilitating.

I'm not really sure what else to do to help relieve them (it--it's only on the one side). Any advice?

6 miles completed out of 75 mile goal.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning & @Elise4270 - Sounds like we all may be limping across the finish line together in November. LOL

I have not crossed this Jenks half off my list of possible post marathon runs. Hopefully I'd be able to do it without limping. :)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater if the pain is in your calf, on the back side, i don't think that's shin splints. I have medial shin splints and it tender to touch, knots up, and painful only when running. Might Google it and see if the symptoms fit. For me the issues is hip weakness, cambered roads and the need for new shoes.

Good luck. PT might be helpful since you coming back from injury. Gait strengthening and all.

@5512bf bring it! ;-) of course when you beat the gimp squad, there's not much to brag about!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - The pain is in the front, but is in combination with a tight calf muscle. I'm sure the two are related, though which is cause and which is effect is up for debate.

Agree that PT might be in order. Seems like my right side is having trouble adjusting to my left side being normal--it's been compensating for way too long.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 and @luluinca thank you. My mom is in her 80s and they "think" she had a severe bout with Crohns which she has suffered from for years. The biggest issue I'm facing is that her doctor doesn't have hospital privileges so I'm trying to deal with the resident physician who I want to punch in the throat. He just will not return my phone calls. I do plan to stop and see the hospital administration folks while I'm there too. When my aunt has tried to talk to him she gets answers like "what am I a mind reader" no motherf'er you are a doctor are you not? My plan is to hit the hospital tomorrow with chocolates for the nurses who have really been my medical lifeline to her and sit my *kitten* on a chair until every doctor who is consulting comes in the door and talks to me. When my dad was in the hospital I said in a chair for 5 days straight 24x7, I'm a master at hospital sitting :smile:

I feel bad that Allen is coming home from overseas tonight so it's like HI HONEY and out the door I go. I get back on Sunday and he leaves on Thursday. At least he'll be here for Skip and she (and the dog) can stay in the house and not have to go anywhere except for one night when Allen plans to see his daughter in another part of the state.

I'm so sorry I'm behind on the thread. I know some had races over the weekend and I really want to read all about them. I'm sure I'll have time during my layover in Atlanta tomorrow.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - The pain is in the front, but is in combination with a tight calf muscle. I'm sure the two are related, though which is cause and which is effect is up for debate.

Agree that PT might be in order. Seems like my right side is having trouble adjusting to my left side being normal--it's been compensating for way too long.

I was on one crutch for one week and developed calf pain (not shin) and what felt to be the start of plantar fasciitis. Ugh. Back on two crutches.

Maybe add more walking miles? A calf sleeve for recovery seemed to help too.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Will catch up with posts properly tomorrow. Had a nice run today though, my soul needed it more than my body did.

September Running Challenge

1st-4th - Poorlysick
    5th - 3.53 miles
    6th - 4.06 miles

MTD - 7.59/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    18th Sept - Run Reigate Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • ibrahimsmama
    ibrahimsmama Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    9/5 10 mile run
    9/6 15 mile run

259 miles to go.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Sep  1     0.0      0.0 
    Sep  2     6.5      6.5 
    Sep  3     4.3     10.8 
    Sep  4     5.1     15.9
    Sep  6     4.3     20.2

exercise.png
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom good luck with everything.........I've done similar as far as being a strong advocate for my parents. They're both gone now but it helps knowing you've done what you can. I'm helping my husband now through some tough health issues so I completely understand what you're going through......Stay Strong!
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    @jodilynnsanders5104 that's a huge jump from 5km to 12km!!!! :open_mouth:

@emmab0902 yes it was a big jump, however the ladies I was running with were experienced runners. When I had been doing my 5km before it often included 1-2 km power walk first and after, so they felt my body had a better mileage base than just the 5k. I was still shocked. I did it, but I felt really good. The pace was much slower so I realised I was making the mistake of running everything at a tempo run. With the relaxed pace, I felt pretty good. Started to tire around 9km but realised we were on the home stretch...and I even picked up speed in the last 500m!
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    September running challenge. Goal: 40km running for month. I shoulda set the bar higher!

exercise.png

9/1...Cross train day: 30 min on my recumbent bike in the morning, 4km power walk at lunch, 30 abdominal crunches at night.
    9/2...30 min run before work (just over 4 km), 40 minute recumbent bike at work.
    9/3...12km long run. Previous longest run was 5km. Walked another 5.7km with my husband at rib fest in the afternoon. I blew past my previous mileage....looks like I set my bar too low for the month...
    9/4...rest day for running. Walked 5km with my dog and walked up the Chedoke stairs once (300 stairs or 30 flights of stairs).
    9/5 5km interval run, including running drills for 5 min. Walked 16km in the afternoon with my husband.
    9/6 cross train day. 45 min on recumbent bike at lunch. Ran 1.5km on treadmill to warm up in evening followed by 30 min strength training focus on arms.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom good luck with everything.........I've done similar as far as being a strong advocate for my parents. They're both gone now but it helps knowing you've done what you can. I'm helping my husband now through some tough health issues so I completely understand what you're going through......Stay Strong!

Thanks @luluinca same to you hugs!
  • merlinofchaos
    merlinofchaos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    9/1 -- 3.25 miles
    9/5 -- 6.25 miles
    9/6 -- 3 miles

12.5/50

Put myself back on track with an easy one on the treadmill (it's 90 degrees outside, screw THAT) at a comfortable speed. If I go again Thu I'll be fully back on schedule.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Not really keeping up super great with the thread but wanted to say..... @skippygirlsmom Good luck with your mom and the hospital sitting..... @ceciliaslater When my calf was really tight in July, I ended up with a burning shin in the same leg.

This week is when my hubby is having tests to see if his Crohn's is out of remission, so I'm just kinda putting exercise on the back burner and taking a rest. I'll be back in gear soon and hoping to feel refreshed and ready to run again.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    9/1 – 10.07 warmup + tempo intervals
    9/2 – 7.76 partial course preview
    9/3 – 3.80 easy 30 minutes
    9/4 – 15.44 warmup + Oak Tree Half
    9/5 – 4.52 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    9/6 – 6.72 warmup + speed work

September total to date – 48.31

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Manage Rochester Marathon well as a race, recover quickly.

Today's notes – The marathon training plan assignment for today was 30 minutes easy, 2 x 15 minutes at T w/ 2 minutes recovery, 3 miles easy. That was clearly too much this soon after my half on Sunday. I opted for the assignment for the Erie Marathon, which is a week farther into taper: 4 x 1000m at T w/ 2 minutes recovery. Coach told me to stay off the hills because I need to recover, so I *walked* to the top of Cobb's Hill where there is a fairly level path around the reservoir that's a bit over 1000m around. Took an easy lap to get a feel for the surface and the pedestrian traffic, then did my 4 x one loop at T with 2 minutes easy between. The 3rd loop was a little short, because my distance marker was a cross sidewalk and I stopped one sidewalk too soon; but it wasn't bad. Garmin thinks the loop is 0.70 miles, but my 3rd T interval was 0.68 miles. I can live with that, it's still a bit more than 1000m.

Heat and humidity is back today. I was dripping with sweat after the 2.25 mile warmup, and again after the speed work. Look at the Garmin feed, and it says it was 86º F (30º C) for the warmup and 88º F (31º C) for the speed work. After that, it seemed to cool down nicely.

Came back to post here, and I'm reading a laundry list of injuries and training aches. I've been injured, and it was no fun at all. Right now, I'm feeling pretty healthy, and I'd like to keep it that way. Bearing that in mind, I'm comfortable taking Coach's advice to back off and avoid hills today. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about, and I ran enough hills this past weekend.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    October 2, 2016 USATF Masters 5K Championship (Syracuse, NY)
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY)
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    9/6: 5.88 miles
    Group speedwork tonight was ramped intervals of 1-2-3-4 minutes with 2 minutes recovery between and then repeat the same 1-2-3-4 with only 1 minute recovery between. That last 4 minutes was tough.

I'm really tired and ready for a rest day tomorrow. I have tons to do at work before I leave for a work trip to Boston from Friday to Tuesday. So I'll probably rest tomorrow, run a short easy base run on Thursday, and then do my running in Boston for a few days. I'm looking forward to it.

exercise.png

@skippygirlsmom - sorry to hear about your mom. Hope you are able to pin down some answers and get thinks on track for her.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Don't think about us while sitting/caring for your Mom. She is the most important person. Unless you need us for Comic Relief, then drop in and have a read. Haven't used any KY Tape this month >:). Where is PoppetMaster when you/we need him? Always loved his Straight Up In your Face Brutal Honesty.

@KatieJane83 Use the #NewHireLunch to see if the Newby is a sports enthusiast - then drop the " Mandatory New Hire Run" on Her/Him.

@Orphia We are in Harvest Mode over in Northern Canada so no Flowers on the Canola.
    September running challenge. Goal: 40km running for month. I shoulda set the bar higher
    @jodilynnsanders5104 Then Adjust your Goal in your Ticker/Personal Logs - Go For It.

8km along the Riverbank Trails tonight after work - Calf felt good the whole run - no twinges or twitch's. Managed a 5:44/km which is getting closer to my PB of 5:29. Timing is good as I have a Pre-race Course inspection tomorrow night for the 10km this weekend. The Name says it all - Don't Get Lost In the Woods. Part Race - Part Orienteering . Promises to be a lot of fun.

09/01 – 0.0 km – 0.0 - 140 km – YTD 842.7 km
    09/04 – 8.0 km – 8.0 – 132.0 km
    09/06 – 8.0 km – 16.0 – 126.0 km – YTD 856.7 km 45:50 ~ 5:44/km. :D

exercise.png

Planned events
    Sept 11 - Don't Get Lost in the Woods - 10km Bush Trails @ the X-Country Ski-Club
    Sept 23 - Roots and Ruts - 10km - Rough Bush Trail
    Nov ??
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many posts already! I've been really busy with the semester starting back up this week (I'm in the last three classes required for my PhD, and then it is all research til the end!) and writing up the first draft of a chapter I've been asked to write. I'm off my crutches as of this morning! And I've been cleared to do cardio again (as long as it doesn't hurt), so that was exciting. Did 40 minutes of killer intervals on the stationary bike, followed by 30 minutes of stretching and 30 minutes of core/hip strengthening. Also, for all of you that replied at the beginning of the month- I'm planning to give water running a shot! My little floatie belt is supposed to be delivered tomorrow so sometime within the next few days I'll have to get my butt over to the pool...

8/06: bike- 5 min easy, 10x(2 min hard/1 min easy), 5 min easy + core