WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Wednesday! We have had a couple of hot, sticky humid days and evenings here! I am back to early morning walks to avoid some of the humidity/heat. It was a wet walk this morning, a little misty, but warm.
    Karen- Pinterest! O.M.G.!!!! I first hopped on a couple of years ago and was immediately sucked in. I spent about three months logging on daily and getting lost in everything that is posted for about an hour or two EVERY day! Then I realized, it was giving me a lot of ideas and dreams, but sucking up the time that I would need to make any of them happen! So...I put myself on a Pinterest diet and only allow myself to go on if I am specifically looking for something. I just got a smart phone, so checking the rest isn't a big problem (yet). I really am not a phone person and would just as soon chuck it out the window.
    Re- I finally stepped on the scale yesterday and also took my measurements. First time in a few weeks! I am up everywhere except my upper arm measurements are down! (I will take that!)
    STARTING WEIGHT: 209
    CURRENT WEIGHT: 226
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (THIS WEEK) :
    TOTAL LBS LOST OR GAINED (ALL WEEKS): +17
    GOAL WEIGHT:180
    ULTIMATE GOAL WT.: 140
    TOTAL LBS AWAY FROM GOAL: 46
    I have decided not to change my goal for the challenge, even though I totally lost my mind in August and gained 17 pounds. I figure if I can gain it in a month, it can come off in a month. I will just have to put more energy into moving and working at it! I am back on track with my food, along with prepping meals on the weekends, this time, I am also taking a tip from you ladies and pre-logging my meals on this site. I am less likely to stray, because I simply don't like to change stuff on here. It is like it is written in stone once it hits MFP.
    Another change I have made in my "lifestyle" food choices is beer/alcoholic beverages. I haven't really drank much since my early twenties, but in recent years, I have found that I would much rather have a drink at the end of the night than a dessert/snack treat. SO...I have a decided to take the same stance with alcohol, that I have with treats. It's just not in the house. IF I want it, I will have to go out to get it. Like ice cream. For years, I only get ice cream if I take a walk downtown on the boardwalk. I have a favorite place I stop to get a small sundae. Not every walk. Just once or twice a summer. I think if I walk for a beer, I will be okay.
    Any how...kids arriving. Gotta fly for now. Feels good to be back with just kids ages four and younger! They are still amused by "the little things". Big kids are back in school and yesterday the little ones spent an hour and a half in my kitchen playing with my pots and pans! Good stuff! :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,950 Member
    Options
    :)NYKaren, I taught elementary for over 30 years and loved it right up until the moment I closed my classroom door for the last time. I have no desire to be in a classroom again, but I loved it all the years I did it. I agree that most children are happy to be back in the structured and social environment of school. Yes, some days I check my email and MFP much too much during the day---fortunately, I don't have any of the other accounts. I check Facebook about twice a week and usually because someone I see face-to-face asks me if I saw some great thing that they posted.

:)Heather, for awhile, I thought I knew what was wrong with my legs and that there was nothing that could be done except some pain management....but it got worse and Jake insisted that I go back to the doctor and tell her about how the pain was worse....that's when she requested the MRI and I realized that I'd resisted an MRI because I was afraid.

:) I awoke a bit early this morning so I'm using my extra minutes to read all your posts and enjoy your company while I eat my breakfast

<3 Barbie from dark NW Washington
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,739 Member
    Options
    Well ya know it's gonna be a bad day when you go to get something out of the freezer downstairs and the freezer has died, I have been running around for the last 2 hours for a mad scramble to get stuff in the freezer upstairs, and my DB and DSIL freezer at there house... found one on Craiglist for 75.00 bucks
    just going to get it will be tough,... no truck
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh Allie..... what a way to start the day. Maybe a Uhaul? I see them advertised around here for like $19.95. (of course like most things that is probably like $50 with hidden charges.) Do you have a vehicle you can tow with? Maybe even an open trailer? Maybe a friend even has one you can borrow??? Best of luck dear. Also been meaning to send you condolences on your friend. As a biker, I feel your loss greatly. :'(
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    NYKaren: I started out as an elementary teacher and ended up with 8th grade social studies. I had a tough first year with 8th grade, but once I had a bit more experience I really enjoyed eighth graders. It is one of those transformational years in the life of a growing child and it was fun to see them change and mature. :heart:

Allie: I hope you have a doable solution to picking up the new to you freezer. Is there anyone available to help? An unloaded freezer isn't horribly heavy but it is bulky and awkward. :flowerforyou:

Yesterday DH announced that he was coming to the gym with me today. I hope he really does it. I suggested that he do a little exercise, sit at the counter and gab with the other people there, and then do a bit more exercise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he follows through, goes to the gym and doesn't over do it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,739 Member
    Options
    Katla~ the one we have was given to me by my old boss about 10 yrs ago, and who knows how long he had it before that..dont have another one yet.. just tried to parlay what room I have in the drawer one upstairs and my DB and DSIL up at there house.. Tom has me grocery shop every 2-3 weeks so I depend on the freezer to keep what we dont need at the moment until we need it..geesh when are things gonna calm down
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,590 Member
    Options
    So sorry Grandmallie
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Allie- sorry to hear about your freezer dying on you! I hope everything works out for you.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Allie - So sorry about your freezer woes. That kind of thing can really throw your day/week out. :sad:

We have a leak in DH's bathroom and the plumber keeps promising and doesn't turn up. Today I noticed that the overflow pipe from the same leaking cistern was dripping into the alleyway. Looks like a new cistern is in our future. :sad: Hate spending money on things like that. At the moment we have a jar underneath the inside pipe to catch the leak, but it must be done before we go away.

DH has been making the Blackberry Cordial, with a bit of input from me. He did all the work. We are about to bottle the result! :D
    I've made Spinach and Feta Pie, with loads of dill, :D boiled up a few potatoes for DH and prepared some runner beans from the garden. That's dinner sorted and tomorrow lunch. B)

I had a bit of a funny moment today, but I'm getting over it. ;) My son rang me, which he never does, (he had obviously been delegated by DDIL) to talk about the coming weekend. He was trying to be tactful. :* The upshot is that they are very stressed and tired with everything happening/starting this week and so want us to limit our visit to just the one night and day. I was a bit confused as I partly want to go to help them out and do some babysitting, but they obviously get a bit stressed out having visitors and not being in their normal routine. I think the grandchildren are a bit unsettled at the moment with the new nanny , the new school and their mum going back to work. DDIL wants to have a quiet Sunday with them. DS said they get overexcited when we are there in the mornings!!!! Whoops! I thought we were helping them by entertaining them so the parents could get showered, dressed etc. :'( So, anyway, we are still going down there Friday afternoon and staying over the one night and probably go back before tea on Saturday.

My handgrip measurer has arrived. It was recommended on a TV programme as a way of lowering blood pressure. I tested my grip and it is normal on my lymphodema side and strong on my left. :D For the blood pressure I have to squeeze at 30% of full strength for 2 mins, 2 mins break, and do that 3 times. Do that set three times a week. I'm happy to give it a go.

Got to repot our mint. It's burst out of its pot!!!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Options

'
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Heather- (((hugs))) don't take it personally. Think of it as they need a day to relax before work. It really has nothing to do with you. You are a fantastic Grandma.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,950 Member
    Options
    :)<3Heather, one of my happiness commandments is "Don't take things personally"....I think it applies to your change of plan with your grandchildren. I admire how you are with them. You are awesome.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)B)<3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    NY Karen and Others ~ I taught mostly 5th grade for over 30 years! It was my whole life with the exception of my son and DH. I cried and cried when I left but now could not imagine working all day.

DH is getting ready to do his monthly antique show. The last 3 months have not been very profitable and I am encouraging him to get a booth in a mall to get rid of some of the small things that have accumulated but never been taken to the show. It is time to declutter. I have started going through my drawers and hope to do a bit at a time.

Carol
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,270 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mary and Barbie - Thank you. That's how I am trying to feel. :* I know they have a huge amount on their plates at the moment. <3 I think it hit me a bit hard because I am trying so hard not to be like my own mother. :'( I never want to be a hindrance, just a help.
    I'm glad in a way that they felt able to say it. That's good.

We've repotted the mint. It looks as if it's breathing a sigh of relief. :D

Heather UK

PS - Welcome Janice! I have certainly been where you are. I finally had had enough and lost 57 pounds. I developed good eating and exercising habits which are now (mostly) second nature. You can't rely on willpower, so habits are important. It takes a while to develop them so you have to pay attention in the beginning and then it gets easier. I am going to make my new grip squeezer a habit. (Hand Dynanometer) To do this I have to assign a day (Mon, We'd, Fri) and a time - (7 pm) - and I have to make sure it is easily available (beside where I sit on the sofa). I am a lazy person who avoids putting myself out do I try to make my good habits as easy for me as possible. Easy availability is very important. That goes for food as well. If the healthy stuff is in front of your nose you are more likely to eat it.
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Back again - lovely to catch up with you again.

Happy September everyone.

Maryann UK
  • jfrench555
    jfrench555 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Heather. :D
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Janice- welcome to our very supportive group of friends! Ditto to what Heather said!

<3

Mary from Minnesota