cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Pip - Super cute! :bigsmile: Wishing you a great ride! <3

Love Heather UK
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday ! ! !

I am still quite busy at work, trying to get a little housework done every evening at home, and bowling season has already begun, in addition to school for DS. I see my Rheumatologist tomorrow, and will get the instructions on switching from Plaquenil to Methotrexate. Then the following week I see the Orthopedic Surgeon about my ankle.

I have truly missed you all so much these past few months. I have been pretending like I was logging foods, but recently realized I was under-estimating everything, and it is difficult to exercise, so I’ve had a few pounds creep back on. This past weekend I removed all the left-overs and shopped for my healthy foods again, and the boys have been warned to fix their own meals for at least a few weeks, until I get back into the healthy habit again.

I can’t remember – did I share the broken ankle story? In case I did not, here it is (and if I did, just jump over this paragraph – it’s probably boring anyway) : 5 days into our 10 day trip to Indianapolis for the Junior Gold National Bowling Tournament we had a few hours for sight-seeing. We had lunch at a cute little café that I found on Groupon, then decided to walk the 1 mile to the basketball stadium so Payne could get a few jerseys. One block into the walk, I stepped into a hole caused by a missing brick in the sidewalk, threw my coffee forward so I could brace my fall, and quickly found myself facedown on the sidewalk. Payne only saw my coffee go flying (pity too, because it was delicious), turned around, and hollered for his Dad. Seeing me laying still, he rushed over yelling “Terri, did you have a heart attack?” After helping me sit up, I realized the most severe pain was in my ankle and foot, so we back-tracked one block to CVS where I bought a hardside brace for me and a pear for the homeless man on the corner, then we walked to the stadium and back the mile to the car. The more I walked the less it hurt, then after sitting it hurt worse to walk, then after walking it hurt worse to sit. Wow ! I was confused. So the next morning I dropped off the boys at the bowling alley then drove myself to an urgent care that had Xray. They sent me to Walk-in Urgent Care Orthopedic Surgery (I have never seen this situation, so I was very thankful). He confirmed that the rolling of my ankle caused the tendon to pull off a chunk of bone. It looked like it was still attached, so he put me back into my brace and told me to wear “the boot” when I got back home the following week, and see my GP in 4-5 weeks. I did that, and she determined that it is not properly healing, which probably means the tendon and/or ligaments are torn, so I am in Physical Therapy to strengthen the surrounding muscles in the hopes of better healing after surgery, and attempt to avoid limping. So, the moral of this story (and what I tell people when they ask about the boot) is that Bowling is a Full-Contact Sport !

I only get a 30 minute lunch today, and I will spend that on the handbike, so I must do some paperwork and start nibbling on my fish and broccoli.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Is there someone named Karen walker here????
  • dsh0979
    dsh0979 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This made me laugh
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michelle: Our kids go back to school in September so they're just starting back this week.. The schools where I taught are air conditioned so they can be kept cool if necessary. Western Oregon districts are among the later school districts to let kids out in the spring and also to return in the fall. When I was a student, kids were used to harvest the strawberry crop in June and the pole bean crop in mid to late July. That is no longer the case and many school days have been subtracted during the year due to national holidays and added back at the end of the year. The last day of school is now in mid June. We'll see if DH will actually go to the gym with me. I'll try to remember to mention that potential miracle if it happens. He is talking positively about it. Here's hoping! :flowerforyou:

Heather: I feel like we've found the ideal situation for us, a small town near a big city. Does the place where your DS and DDIL live have the kind of urban appeal that you're looking for? Would it have the ability to meet your DH's preferences and satisfy yours? I am always looking for compromises, but am rarely willing to make one myself. :embarassed: The photo and comments idea for mom's heirlooms is an excellent one! Thank you!!! :bigsmile:

Tracey in PA: The medical term for my situation is Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). It is fairly common among people with summer birthdays. There are articles on the web from the Mayo Clinic, Web Med and Wikipedia. I hope you'll find useful information. Vitamin D3, visits to the gym year round for active exercise, and daylight temperature light bulbs in my home combine to help me. :smiley:

JanetR: Enjoy your travels and post when you can. :wink:

KarenE: The photo from the front porch is beautiful. :flowerforyou:

Terri: It is wonderful to hear from you again. I'm sorry about the fall and resulting pain. :flowerforyou:

DH is planning to go to the gym today! Yay! I suggested we go after lunch. There will be less risk of the exercise triggering an insulin reaction then. All he's eaten so far is one pancake and half a cup of Greek yogurt. I'd like to see a bit more food in him before we hit the exercise machines.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Janet, yeah I didn't make that clear. Michelle was born in 1980.

Miriam, it is so great your daughter is so interested in your home and all of your old memories. She really wants to feel a sense of belonging to something permanent.

Pip, love your t-shirts, especially love the halo on one of the dogs.

Joyce, indiana
  • meuy43
    meuy43 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Ok, I have been reading this board since the weekend and I am hooked. What a lovely group of women, so reassuring and supportive.

Lenora – Thank you so much for explaining how the boards work and the easiest ways to post. I was a bit confused at first.

A little bit about myself, I am Melissa, 55 years old, living in South FL, Boca Raton actually. I have 2 kids, teenagers, who I am raising on my own (had my kids later). My DH died 6 years ago and I have been yo-yo eating ever since. For the first couple years, you could find me pulling the chair right up to the fridge! Since then I have lost a bit but now at this stage of life, I am having a great time but cannot eat/drink the way I did in my 20’s, 30’s and even 40’s (who can??). Getting back to tracking everything has been an eye opener for me, I needed that accountability back!! I hope this time I can just watch my portions and drop the 30 lb. emotional suitcase I have been carrying around or at least shrink it to a 5 lb tote. My eating habits are good, eating all the right things, but I just eat too much, mainly in the evenings.

Exercise is important, I know, and I will start back to walking in the next few days. Kinda took the summer off. I also love a good yoga class. I was in Chicago for a girls’ weekend in August and we took a pilates class that was a lot of fun. Does anyone have any experience with pilates? Are there different types of classes?

Anyway, I am happy to be here and I enjoy reading all your posts.

Melissa in South Florida
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Hey.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Hey.

Hey
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey.

Pip, I'm Karen Walker.

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    welcome Melissa stick around, chime in when you feel like it. Keep logging every bite and move a little-this works!! Also, I have heard of folks that replace night time eating with hand crafts (keeps the hands busy) or brushing teeth after dinner--lights out in the kitchen means kitchen is closed. Look for a way to replace the habit of eating at night--of course make sure you've eaten the right amount of calories during the day--I have lots of protein at lunch and that does the trick for me.

As for Pilates. I can't follow DVDs I need more specific help, my last most wonderful Pilates teacher moved and has spoiled me for any other! I am trying TRX tonite for second time. (Google it, it is fun)

NYKAREN
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy thurs.
    hugs jane
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Pip ~ Love the shirt! The design is just right for you and Kirby.

Terri ~ So sorry about your accident. I hope everything heals. Thanks for checking in; we miss you.

Janet ~ Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful trip.

KeytoneKaren ~ What a lovely sunrise you have caught in your photo.

I took my anti-anxiety medication this AM before I went to my Mom's nursing home which is 1-1/2 hrs away. I think part of the reason I was emotionally upset yesterday was dreading her having a bad day when I got there. She was in the sitting room area when I got there and we had a good visit. She had gotten a perm yesterday and looked so much better than the last few times I saw her. She will be 91 in October and has pretty bad dementia and is confined to a wheelchair.

Carol
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Janet, yeah I didn't make that clear. Michelle was born in 1980.

Miriam, it is so great your daughter is so interested in your home and all of your old memories. She really wants to feel a sense of belonging to something permanent.

Pip, love your t-shirts, especially love the halo on one of the dogs.

Joyce, indiana

Lol, that makes more sense to me. I do however understand the anxt over leaving your home of many years. (((Hugs)))

Janetr okc
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Hey.

Pip, I'm Karen Walker.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR DONATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • ilikegardens
    Options
    Pip, you're welcome! My pleasure-I saw the t-shirts and thought, it's not too late. KarenE
  • ilikegardens
    Options
    Kettlebell swings: 12 x 10 x 20
    Halos: 4 x 10 x 25 x 2 directions
    Kettlebell Clean and snatch: 3 x 10 x 15 x 2 arms
    Squats w band: 4 x 15
    Dips: 1 x 10, 1 x 9, 1 x 8