Does your partner having an interest in fitness matter to you?

Options

Replies

• AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Why would it matter if your spouse/girlfriend doesn't eat what you eat or workout? Kinda narcissistic isn't it?

It's a personal preference :)
    I have my preference to the kind of people I date and it happens that people I prefer to date both work out and eat similar things :)

There's no way that anybody that didn't work out would even put up with staying with me lol!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat differently. But, some things the same because of having dinner together.
  • jtegirl
    jtegirl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Why would it matter if your spouse/girlfriend doesn't eat what you eat or workout? Kinda narcissistic isn't it?

Someone doesn't have to eat exactly the same as me, but I am healthy and active. I don't want a couch potato or bar rat. It's not the way I live my life. I don't think it's narcissistic to want a partner who shares the same interests and lifestyle.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My husband and I eat differently. But, some things the same because of having dinner together.

My husband was the sushi-knocker when we met -- he also didn't like Chinese take-out -- he was about 2 seconds from getting a NEXT! card, but now we have sushi like 3 times a week and he has agreed that some Chinese take-out is really good.

I can understand why some people wouldn't want a meat eater if they're strong in their vegan ways -- and their morals for choosing that lifestyle -- but back to fitness/health, why wouldn't you want a healthy spouse or at least someone that totally doesn't shun away from just bettering themselves? Not only did I look for that ambition in my spouse's well-being, but I looked for that ambition in their career. Am I a gold digger? Far from it, but I refuse to be a sugar momma, or with someone that is complacent being where they're at and not striving to climb the ladder in all aspects.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options
    So rich people should date only rich people and poor people poor. Similar interests and lifestyle.

@Villae81
    Good call, bud!

If rich people preferred only rich people and poor only poor people then - the principle is the same :)

Nobody ever said that personal preference had to be 'fair', just personal.

I refuse to live my life in a way that doesn't make me happy, this includes chasing preferences to whom I date :)
  • jtegirl
    Options
    jtegirl wrote: »

Someone doesn't have to eat exactly the same as me, but I am healthy and active. I don't want a couch potato or bar rat. It's not the way I live my life. I don't think it's narcissistic to want a partner who shares the same interests and lifestyle.

So a hard working man who stays active doing physical work genetically gifted but doesn't like working out and doesn't eat like you and is devoted to you won't make you happy?

I never said that. I said I want someone who lives a similar lifestyle. Doing physical work is being active. As for the eating part, well honestly, I don't want someone eating pizza, fast food, brownies and cookies (or whatever form of junk food some people eat daily) in front of me everyday. I love food and I love to eat, but those aren't healthy daily choices for a 47 year old woman who prefers to be fit and healthy. If I had to watch someone eating that in front of me everyday I'd be miserable. The opposite of happy. lol

• Chrisjuvers
    Chrisjuvers Posts: 2,692 Member
    Options
    I think your spouse/dating partner needs to be into fitness as well. It hard to eat well and discuss what will not fit into your macros if they other person could care less. When the other person doesn't want to go with you but complains your in the gym a lot just sucks. If you want to see what I'm doing, get off your *kitten* and go with me. This is a touchy subject since my hubs isn't into fitness at all.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options
    I'm not knocking anybodys preference I'm just trying to understand that train of thinking.

Never said you were :)

I'm simply explaining why having a personal preference isn't narcissistic!

I know for a fact, I couldn't ever hold down a relationship with anybody I didn't feel that 'connection' to and I feel it's far crueller to lead somebody on than to just chase after what I want in the first place :)
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    It's hypocritical to say having a standard, or preference, is narcissistic unless you can honestly say you just got with the first person that would give you the time of day (doubtful).
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It does matter. My husband is a runner. Now, I hate running with a fiery passion and don't understand how people could possibly love the most boring form of exercise on the planet - but I digress!!

I love that he loves to exercise as much as I do. We do different things, but we both love what we do.
  • jtegirl
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone cares what someones personal preference in a partner is. I'm not judging anyone that doesn't live a fit and healthy lifestyle. I just don't wish to have a partner who doesn't.

ETA: I'm also not saying I need a guy who's in the gym 7 days a week. I don't work out that often. I just want someone who is active and wants to go out and do active and fun things.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are not doing well. I workout and he doesn't like it so he doesn't. I have lost about 40 pounds since January but 110 in total. It drives me nuts he won't workout and honestly living in a large city, I find I am so judgmental of very overweight people... And I was one, so I can't imagine dating someone who isn't at least somewhat interested in some form of fitness.
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My partner is a post woman so keeps active during the day. She can then eat 'bad' as she's got an active job, I however work at a desk job.

I now go on the treadmill at 4:30am every morning before work to get my exercises done as its not something we'd be able to do together.

I'm dieting ATM so we eat different foods she even weighs my portions, looks at nutritional labels for me etc. Even though she's not dieting.

She may not have an 'interest in fitness' but she's got an 'interest in me, that's what really counts.

Though I can understand from others perspectives that if you didn't have a treadmill and was going to the gym after work and not seeing her it could potentially put a strain on the relationship. Or if you wanted to get out doing something and they didn't etc
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    @DeficitDuchess for the win.

I love @rebel_26 response and @Villae81 who talks of lone time. Smug couples in the gym annoy me. Actually they annoy many others too with all the PDA and gym hall love.

My wife has a fulltime job. She also runs our house and keeps things in order. She has no time to work out and we just go on walks and she watches what she eats. I don't expect her to tag along to the gym so I can enjoy together time. We get plenty of that outside the gym

From a personal standpoint, many hot gym girls I knew would have destroyed me... they were high on debt, didn't have a full time job, 300$ brazilian blow out hairdos (well my wife gets them too) and lived with their parents looking for a white collar/wall street husband who works in NY, like passing from parents home to husbands home. Same interests sure but financing everything she brings to that table.

If a person has to make life decisions based on fitness, it would be very pinching when the long term impact slowly rises its ugly head.

You're right. A woman can't possibly have any interest at all in fitness unless she's a gold digger.

Yeah, who knew a woman could't have a job, a place of their own and work out and be fit as well? :|

Madness...next your going to suggest that women have thoughts...Madness I tellz ya!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is interesting considering the push back from the judgy yet self declared, non-judgmental crowd. I wonder what the divorce/separation rate is for those couples who lack common interests/drivers?
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's hypocritical to say having a standard, or preference, is narcissistic unless you can honestly say you just got with the first person that would give you the time of day (doubtful).

Huh? I'm lost. How is it hypocritical? My standard/preference I like them thick on the right places who can drop it like it's hot and active. Me and my habits work out eats healthy if I find that girl I won't be unhappy if she isn't doing what I'm doing I have my space she has hers

Eta this is Just an example btw

I'm curious, why is it ok to say "My standard/preference I like them thick on the right places" but it's not ok to say you prefer an athletic/fit build?

I'm just trying to understand that train of thinking.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    He's gotta be fit so he can catch me if I fall down of from the pole.
    An unfit person will only get injured when I crash land on them... :S
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

How is it narcissistic to want to have things in common with your counterpart? Someone who is active and enjoys fitness activities probably isn't going to get along too long with someone who just wants to sit around watching t.v.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

So a hard working man who stays active doing physical work genetically gifted but doesn't like working out and doesn't eat like you and is devoted to you won't make you happy?

If my wife didn't enjoy things like cycling and hiking and running and otherwise being out and active we probably wouldn't have been attracted to each other in the first place...probably wouldn't have even met...'cuz things in common...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

How is it narcissistic to want to have things in common with your counterpart? Someone who is active and enjoys fitness activities probably isn't going to get along too long with someone who just wants to sit around watching t.v.

Read the op again it's about fitness trust me theres a lot of fit people out there and stay fit without stepping a foot in a gym or counting calories

And a majority of people in this thread are talking about being active and fit. Not going to the gym or counting calories. My husband would never join a gym and he would never count calories. But, he is active and fit. It's the matched social aspect that matters. That we can enjoy active social activities together.