This is why people gain weight, and why losing it is so hard.

Options
jdb3388
jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I just did a little experiment. I started out just trying to see how many calories I would be able to eat per day once I reach my goal weight. The number was shockingly low. My TDEE, not including any exercise, will be 1899. That number hit me hard, I don't know how I can possibly live my life eating that few calories. I mean right now It's one thing because I am working very hard to cut weight, but to look up and see that there is no light at the end of the tunnel, because maintenance is so low calorie, its very discouraging.

So here's were the experiment comes into play. I thought, you know what, I've never just booked out a normal "non deiting" day, lets see how many calories that is. So I went into MFP and loaded up what I would eat on a normal day. Over 4500 calories!!! HOLY S**T!!!! No wonder people get so fat so quickly without even realizing whats happening!

So my takeaway: I don't know whats worse, thinking about how easy it was to get this way without even realizing what was going on, or thinking about how miserable its going to be trying to eat at maintenance once I get to my goal weight.

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    I'm 5'5'', my goal weight is 150 (which BMI tells me is at the very peak of Normal, just 1 lb away from overweight) and I work a job were I can't get up and walk around often. Comes out to 1899. Even if I take a walk/jog/run in the morning or evenings I'd really only pick up 200-300 calories.

I'm sure you're running it right- just want to play with/ballpark some numbers, if you don't mind: What's your age and height for BMR? I'm not a big believer in the accuracy of BMI for fat and weight goals.
  • jdb3388
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    I'm 5'5'', my goal weight is 150 (which BMI tells me is at the very peak of Normal, just 1 lb away from overweight) and I work a job were I can't get up and walk around often. Comes out to 1899. Even if I take a walk/jog/run in the morning or evenings I'd really only pick up 200-300 calories.

I'm sure you're running it right- just want to play with/ballpark some numbers, if you don't mind: What's your age and height for BMR? I'm not a big believer in the accuracy of BMI for fat and weight.

I'm 27, 5'5'' and will (hopefully) weigh in the neighborhood of 150-155
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    1899? You could eat that in one average Red Robin meal.

That said. I'm 5'6", 51 years old. Female. Menopausal. My TDEE before activity is similar. I manage to "get" another 500 or so in activity each day according to my fitbit.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

I'm sure you're running it right- just want to play with/ballpark some numbers, if you don't mind: What's your age and height for BMR? I'm not a big believer in the accuracy of BMI for fat and weight.

What do you currently weigh? PM me if you'd like.
  • jdb3388
    Options

What do you currently weigh? PM me if you'd like.

I try not to stress myself out with scales to often. I started at 280ish and I estimate I am in the 265 range now.
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    "The number was shockingly low. My TDEE, not including any exercise, will be 1899."
    I haven't eaten that much in one day in years. I aim for 1200, and generally fall within that general range higher or lower.
    It's not that bad, except I still have 20-25 pounds to lose , and it's not shifting, these last few months.
    Looks like I'llhave to go below 1200, to get to my goal weight.