INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Options

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    booncey wrote: »
    I really don't understand why people feel the need to disagree on a weight loss forum. I thought the whole point of this site was to encourage and motivate. If the "IF-plan" is working for someone, don't try to pick it apart. Not everything has to be broken down and scrutinized for your entertainment. To the original poster, keep on doing whatever works for you. If someone tries to discredit it...it's more "their" problem than yours. For me, I'm going to continue trying the plan for 8 weeks. ~ Namaste

*sick guitar riff*
    HOLIER THAN THOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    burreld wrote: »
    IF works for everyone. It lowers the bodies IGF-1 and increases insulin sensitivity.

Frequent meals does the opposite. Each time you spike your insulin your body becomes less sensitive to it changes.

You will find that eating many small meals in a day has been proven bad. Also you will find skipping does more good than bad.

Dr Mike Mosely has a diet named 5:2 and was used by Jimmy Kemmel to drop a bunch of weight. Look it up.

Also if you have been dieting for long periods of time you will need to build the loss muscle back and your results will be less drastic.

for the record: I'm a fan of IF and use it frequently but...

The two bolded sections are in contradiction: IGF-1 is anabolic and helps to build muscle so a lower value is detrimental if muscle growth (the bold bit in your last para) is important.

It's also worth mentioning that, despite having searched the review papers and studies (I'm not a professional researcher so take that into account), read (the summaries only I'm afraid) all the refs in Mosley's 5:2 book my, and been involved in several discussions on the topic on these forums - I've yet to see any convincing, isocalorific, human, studies which demonstrate the often quoted benefits of fasting. Again, I'm a fan and user, but IMHO it's just calories in-calories out which drive composition changes - not meal timing or frequency.

Fasting is popular and used in medical treatments and so I would expect more studies (hopefully human with calorific control) and I strongly suspect that these will show benefits over the same number of calories spread out throughout the day. But, at the moment my searches have not turned up any hard evidence.

Same. I've basically been doing 16:8 constantly for years, while being overweight, while losing, while maintaining, because I've never been too fond of eating right after getting up. Insulin is also anabolic btw.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    One more thing to add; if people never correct you or me, how are we expected to become a better version of ourselves? I learned a lot by smarter people than me correcting my non sense. I continue to learn by people calling me out on my non sense. I readily admit i am not the most knowledgeable person here but i do feel i have a solid foundation. So i am not sure about others but i am always trying to get smarter than i was today.

But I have no way of knowing if they are smarter??

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    booncey wrote: »
    I really don't understand why people feel the need to disagree on a weight loss forum. I thought the whole point of this site was to encourage and motivate. If the "IF-plan" is working for someone, don't try to pick it apart. Not everything has to be broken down and scrutinized for your entertainment. To the original poster, keep on doing whatever works for you. If someone tries to discredit it...it's more "their" problem than yours. For me, I'm going to continue trying the plan for 8 weeks. ~ Namaste

Because, science. It's not a "problem" or an "attack"; its intellectual discussion on a topic where nonsense and woo woo are generally given free reign.

The great thing about MyfitnessPal is that it opens users up to discussions they might not have with their friends, coworkers, family, or others who are generally ignorant about biology, nutrition, kinesiology, and more.

Please don't ask for citations, as I spend very little time reading scientific research, for reasons stated above.

Lol - the discussion should definitely be over at this point.
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Chase down another study that contradicts the last one published.....crickets ****churping****....
    We'll wait.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    One more thing to add; if people never correct you or me, how are we expected to become a better version of ourselves? I learned a lot by smarter people than me correcting my non sense. I continue to learn by people calling me out on my non sense. I readily admit i am not the most knowledgeable person here but i do feel i have a solid foundation. So i am not sure about others but i am always trying to get smarter than i was today.

:bigsmile:
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    83%? Not too shabby.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

...if it comes from me its true 83% of the time :smile:

Do you have evidence to support this claim? o:);)

<runsawayquickly>