September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Enjoy that porkroll and boardwalk pizza. Have a safe trip.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    9/1 AM - 4.02 - Easy
    9/1 PM - 6.0 - Easy Indoor track
    9/2 - Unplanned Rest
    9/3 - 5.01 - Easy
    9/4 - 17.01 - Long w/ 2x3 miles at GMP + 1x2 Miles @ GMP
    9/5 - Rest
    9/6 - AM 5.0 MP - Indoor Track
    9/6 - PM - 6.03 - 6x500M VO2Max Intervals
    9/7 - 13.31 Easy indoor track
    9/8 - AM - 6.01 Easy
    9/8 - PM - 4.01 Easy
    9/9 - Rained out
    9/10 - 6.05 Easy with Strides
    9/11 - 18 Mile Tempo - 2WU + 16 @ GMP
    9/12 - 30 min elliptical and strength training
    9/13 - AM 6.23 Easy
    9/13 - PM 4.07 Easy
    9/14 - 11.01 w/ 6x1200@5k pace

Total 111.77 of 255 Miles

Got rained out yesterday morning so I had to do this last night, temps were in the mid 70's so it was bad, but could have been worse for an early September evening. Did 2 miles warm-up easy then 6x1200 @5k Pace with .6 mile recovery between intervals. Could have probably went faster but it was dark and I wanted to be sure of my footing. Probably took too much time between intervals for a recovery because I was able to get my HR to recover fairly quickly. The 1200's were at an average of 7:35 pace, which was probably a bit too slow. Goal was to get into VO2max range but it took a while to get there and I just barely was crossing into Z5 towards the middle to end of them with the average HR never coming close to crossing threshold. Highest HR number was 177 on the last interval, just 5 bpm over threshold. Still was pleased to get this one over with, I like easy running and my motto is "No Pain, No Pain" Just one more interval run and a 20 miler will be the last of what I consider difficult workouts in this cycle. Happy to be relatively pain free and not too beat up going into this taper.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @shanaber- Beat the Blerch HM sounds like a blast, especially when running with your daughter. That's awesome. Enjoy!
    @chassp8pooh - Congrats on the 10K!
    @skippygirlsmom -Save travels. Have fun and eat all the food!

Begrudgingly taking a rest day today to give the hamstring a break. Of course, it was a glorious morning. At least I got to enjoy a little of it while walking the dog. It's still dark here at 6AM and the sky was full of stars, but the sun was beginning to break the horizon. 64F with no humidity. And I went to my basement to do a boring *kitten* pilates video. Oh well, I know it is for the best and my body does feel a lot looser overall. Hopefully tomorrow morning is a repeat of today.

Oh, and I registered for Boston last night. Even though I don't yet have confirmation, it was the first time since I qualified that it actually started to sink in. If all goes the same as last year, according to @MobyCarp, I should receive my confirmation e-mail tomorrow morning. That's when it gets real. Eeek!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Still sick. Feeling worse than before. Decided to sleep in this morning. Will probably skip bowling as well. Wish I didn't have to be at work because I could use some more sleep. Oh, did I mention I also have bad TOM cramps? Nothing like that double whammy

Will try again tomorrow.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @lporter229

Little bet jealous of you and @MobyCarp. Qualifying for Boston is something I'd love to do, but something that I'm uncertain I'll ever experience. I do get a age group bump in a couple of years to 3:25 but that is still an long ways off of where I feel I can get to.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @5512bf- I used to feel the same way. Something that seemed like a pipe dream that would never be possible for me. But as I kept running I got faster and before I knew it, suddenly my half marathon pace was my BQ pace. I knew that wasn't going to cut it, but with a little work I could get there. So I just focused all of my energy on that goal. Of course, getting older helped ;) Just keep running. I am pretty sure you will get where you need to be if you put your heart into it.

So here's a funny story. I turn 45 in Feb and so I will be 45 when (hopefully) I run Boston. As you know, there is a 10 minute jump between 44 and 45 years old. When I ran Columbus in 2015 I was 43. I was unaware that BQ times were based on your age on the date of the Boston race. I thought it was based on your age on the date of your qualifying race. I thought I needed a 3:45, when in reality I needed a 3:55. I found out just prior to the race (while talking to someone in line for the bathroom) that they use your age on the day of the Boston race. However, for some odd reason, it still did not dawn on me that this would change my qualifying time. That part is so strange, because if I had known, I wonder if that would have changed my race. I guess that part I will never know. Anyway, I did not realize until the following Monday that I only needed a 3:55 instead of a 3:45 and that I had beaten my time by 16+ minutes. I realized this while I was telling the story to a co-worker. It just went off like a light bulb in my head. It was kind of crazy.

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    Feel better soon @RespectTheKitty!
    And you'll be kicking our behinds soon enough @Elise4270!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @lporter229 Feeling very excited for you! That moment must be magical.

I just came across a blog post where the author described how she went from running 4:49 Marathon to qualifying for Boston (it was 3:40 for her). Her journey was about 5 years. Yes, with all these BQ talks, I start to feel like maybe I can dream too, even though I run more like a 2:30 half marathon now. And, the dream will remain a dream if I am not even doing my runs and gradually building up my mileage for the HM in December :sweat_smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 That is such of an awesome story. Congratulations to you. Hopefully you will hear back soon on your confirmation.

If I ran this year, I too would turn 45 after my qualification race but before Boston itself. I turn 45 in December. That is what made me think that there was a possibility of qualifying this year at last year's Rocket City. But my HM time trial 6 weeks prior said that I was just not quite there, plus last December's RCM fell on an unusually warm day. I still ended up with a 3:38, but I need a 3:25 (no buffer) as opposed to a 3:15 if I was just a year younger. I am shooting for a 3:20 this year so I can qualify for 2018. Hopefully a 5 minute buffer is good enough for next year.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    All this BQ talk, and I'm just sitting here looking at my HM goal....You guys are all amazing in my eyes.
  • mom3over40
    Options
    @shanaber Good Luck with your race and have fun in your trip!
    @chassp8pooh That's amazing!
    @skippygirlsmom Hope your legs feel better after rest. I'm secretly admiring the mileage you put in day in and day out.
    @RespectTheKitty Hope you feel better soon.
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 I admire how much time you put in your strength training too! I need more discipline :sweat_smile:
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    @shanaber Good Luck with your race and have fun in your trip!
    @chassp8pooh That's amazing!
    @skippygirlsmom Hope your legs feel better after rest. I'm secretly admiring the mileage you put in day in and day out.
    @RespectTheKitty Hope you feel better soon.
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 I admire how much time you put in your strength training too! I need more discipline :sweat_smile:

@mom3over40 If it makes you feel better, it's not a lot of exercises, but I needed to incorporate some into my routine. Most of the time it's 2-3 exercises per day, 2-3 sets each of 10 reps (or more depending). It doesn't take me long to complete. I spend more time on the yoga and running. lol
  • mom3over40
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 That's pretty much my goal :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 I told myself if I could get a sub 2 half, I could consider the marathon distance. It definitely would have happened this year (if the doc would could have continued with steroid shots. Too many, wore off quickly.

The distance seems grueling... I'm content aiming for a strong half, maybe even at Boston. Hell, I'd take 1 mile right now! Er, I'd take a pizza right now over the mile... :tongue:

With so many here aiming for Boston, it'd make a great "group run". Might even inspire more of us to put that goal in our sights.

Personally, I'd love to do the Big Sur at Monterey (half).

Think I'm going to have to stay focused. Keep planing my comeback. I feel a spark of life coming back talking about it. Think I'm depressed. I just have zero motivation and energy. There's a slight concern that I have lupus. I'm not sure how I feel about that potential. No swimming, Pizza and ice cream says I'm stressed. But I know, no worries until there's something to worry about. MONTEREY!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 That's pretty much my goal :)

Then I'm sure you'll accomplish it. If I can, you can. :smile:

The exercises I have, I only do 3 times a week, and they were suggested by a Personal Trainer friend of mine. It's mostly upper body due to my running 5-6 times a week.

But with the yoga and walking I do, I believe my x-training is covered.
  • mom3over40
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Good luck with your race. Like my kids' principal used to say for test day, "Just show what you've learned", you go show what you've trained for!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So...I was away for two weeks, and between this as last month's challenge board, I have 969 unread posts to read through. So, for all intents and purposes, I am going to ignore those 1,000 posts and just start reading whatever comes in after this post.

I never set a goal for September, and I don't think I'm going to. I had a few shorter runs earlier this month, and I have a half marathon on Sunday that I do not feel at all prepared for. I will be doing a final run before either today or tomorrow for an undetermined distance. After the half, I will be taking the rest of the month easy. I don't have much planned moving forward (a few few-mile races), so I'll have to come up with some sort of maintenance plan to hold me over until I ramp things up for a 10K in April which will probably be my next run of any real distance.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Interesting story I found, about a Canadian man who's running across Canada to raise awareness for indigenous women.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/07/13/indigenous-man-on-cross-country-run-for-mmiw.html
  • mom3over40
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @mom3over40 I told myself if I could get a sub 2 half, I could consider the marathon distance.
    That is what I think too. Otherwise, the long run will just take too long. Looking forward to your comeback and kick our behinds :smiley: