WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Pip, I love that you shared the pictures of your sister. I really like the one of her laughing while dancing.  (later) no need to apologize. Her eyes were expressive and she didn’t have drool running out of her mouth or anything.

Janetr, I love the picture. Are you staying in one place for a few days or just overnight?

Margaret, I don’t think I could do 10 hours in a car any more. We used to drive straight through on an 18 hour car trip when we were younger, but that was the operative term. Rest up, my friend. 1523146q3ft8jvru4.gif

KarenE, you are so right that we are lucky to live in a time and place with such medical advantages and I’m thankful, too. Sorry to hear about the upsetting email you received. Things like that can take so much energy and attention. Hope it resolves soon.

Rori, congrats on the 4 months with no alcohol. I need to do that to lose more weight but just not ready at this point. I enjoy my evening social cocktail. To be honest, I’m still fighting that urge to smoke, as long as it’s been. I will NOT ever smoke again but the urge is still there.

Marcelyn, that is unusual to have 3 grans birthdays in the same week. Guess you have to save up for that week. Lol

KateUK, congrats on the raincoat being too big, and I know what you mean about it being with mixed emotions. I’ve undergrown several items that I truly loved but wasn’t willing to stay FAT just to wear them.

Lisa, so glad your DH is getting back to himself and things are settling in to a more “normal” routine. (whatever that is?)

Tracey, I get many of the Emojis at http://www.sherv.net/. Someone on here shared it with me and I’m happy to share it. They are fun when you have the time to search for the right one. searching-smiley-emoticon.gif

Heater, I remember you saying it was the first time using fondant. You sure got the hang of it. I’ve never used it since I don’t bake cakes with icing but watching them on TV, it doesn’t look that easy to work with. I’m just very impressed with you, my friend. 473949fjm3tcg78d.gif

Pip, I enjoy all the pictures but the one of you and Kirby in the red collars and black sweaters is absolutely my favorite. You both look sooo happy! sweet-love-smiley-emoticon.gif

Wick, welcome. This is a supportive group of ladies that discuss any and everything since everything in our lives can affect our eating. It’s a great place for information as well. Please tell us about yourself to help us get to know you and sign each post with the name you want to be called. It’s also helpful if you list a location, general or specific.

Maryann, sorry about your poodle. They are just like kids in that they will try to embarrass us when given the chance. 3512764kbz2s38oww.gif

Joyce, glad the doc didn't put you back on the meds that caused such trouble. I hope you are better soon!!

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I've been doing a bit of deep cleaning around the house the past two days. Just a project at a time as I'm still very careful with my back.

Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Well I missed something too but I really hope that Miriam does not leave--she is so wise!!!

Pip, how much weight did you lose all together and how long did it take? Talk about transformations!!! And there is nothing wrong with posting your sister pix...really we are all living and dying at the same time...our journey.

Trying to be creative about bicycling now that it is getting dark sooner. Eventually I will have to give it up for the season except for weekends because of this pesky working schedule. Just when I was getting up to the moderate speed level...

Since I started trying to lose weight in January 2015 I lost 19.25 then gained 6 back now am back to within 1.25 of the 19.25 again. Seems like the exercise is the only thing that I can do at this stage to make any headway. Started trying to swim a bit to get some arm exercise in; hoping to get that in once a week for the near future.

Betty
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Well I missed something too but I really hope that Miriam does not leave--she is so wise!!!

Pip, how much weight did you lose all together and how long did it take? Talk about transformations!!! And there is nothing wrong with posting your sister pix...really we are all living and dying at the same time...our journey.

Trying to be creative about bicycling now that it is getting dark sooner. Eventually I will have to give it up for the season except for weekends because of this pesky working schedule. Just when I was getting up to the moderate speed level...

Since I started trying to lose weight in January 2015 I lost 19.25 then gained 6 back now am back to within 1.25 of the 19.25 again. Seems like the exercise is the only thing that I can do at this stage to make any headway. Started trying to swim a bit to get some arm exercise in; hoping to get that in once a week for the near future.

Betty

At my heaviest I was almost kissing 200, was at 198. Before then, I was an aerobics instructor. The death of my husband stopped me from teaching, get depressed and gain weight. I think I lost the last 35#s when I joined the Y. I honestly didn't pay attention as to how long it took because I didn't care at the time. My brain was too consumed with the loss of my husband. No fad diet , pills. Etc , good old fashion exercises and watching what I ate again
  • djaustin53
    djaustin53 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and really don't understand this way of socializing.. I may never find my way back here..lol. Anyways I just turned 63, so if you are looking for friends... friend me.. :)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    Oceanmelody I think it was a total of 65-70 lbs? That I lost
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Tracey- learning balance in PA ~ Thanks for your kind words involving my sons commitment with the Navy. I am having a hard time dealing with my emotions regarding my youngest son these days. With each passing holiday etc. I think, "Oh that is his last July 4th being at home, because next July he will be at boot camp". Maybe by then, my middle son and his wife will decide to make their home more near the Northwest like he is saying, instead of in California. One goes and one kind of returns. That would be a grand thing!
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    Pip~ So sorry about your sisters passing, but feel privileged in seeing her pictures. No apologizes needed. A persons journey is not all a bed of roses, and not their "best sides". (((((hugs)))) Pip
    Becca
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    DJ so far we have stayed a few nights at each stop, just winging it as we go.

Janetr okc
  • Annr
    Options
    What a crazy couple of days....... Eating wise, on Wednesday, I had allowed myself 300 calories for our visit to Sizzler Restaurant. I ordered the grilled salmon piece, (without any side). The salad trips were interesting. At one point I had a chicken piece, some pasta thingy, and a couple of onion rings..... I did my initial trip to the salad bar with actual salad, some spoonful's of different salads. All in all I ate bites of things, but didn't actually finish anything. I felt like some designated "Royal Tester" taking bites of this and that!! What I came from the whole "grazing experience" is that I like my own cooking the best. Son and husband had steaks, and the whole meal set us back $60. That was hard to swallow..... lol.

On Thursday, I had my volunteering with the Senior Luncheon. They had beef stew over some potatoes, bread, salad, and bread pudding for dessert. I get a lunch to go, (our payment for volunteering). So when I got home I ate the beef stew over 3 pieces of potato, a serving a broccoli pieces, 2 small slices of French bread, and my square of bread pudding. Afterwards I was moaning and groaning on my bed. I took a long nap, miserable. When I woke up I watched some TV, had some cereal and hot tea. It felt like my whole body was stopped up!!! I was achy to my chest, and my lower back....ukkk! So this morning I took a HOT bath, and felt better, going back to sleep. Crazy me. It must be that I am not used to all the protein...and well broccoli... Today I have had some coffee, and later some wedding cake lemon circle cookies (that I got from the food bank yay!) I know not the best choice after my ordeal! Crazy, crazy me. I also ate some fresh peach chunks, because it had squished in the bag from the food bank to home.. Oh like sweet heaven!! I rec'd a huge box of strawberries, which I am planning on drying after dinner in the oven. Next month I plan on getting some parchment paper so I can make fresh fruit "leather" to nibble on. Along with the big container of strawberries, I got a HUGE bag of fresh spinach. It is the size of a small pillow, and its jammed in the frig, like its taking over... Tonight's meal? Hmmm I really have no appetite... :-)

All the new people that have found this site. There isn't much to do to join. Just start paying attention, because we will start paying attention to you. We care about how you are doing, and how you are managing. It's what we do. We are a powerful bunch of ladies, just trying to make sense of it all. You can vent, cry, and even brag. We are a tool, that helps you manage your stress. You all are saying, "oh Becca I am soooo not a tool". HAHAHA. You all know what I mean...

Hugs to the lot of you!
    Becca
    ohhh we called in a driver (to 911) on our drive from Washington back to home here. She was driving strange, and we saw the police pull her over, as she pulled off the main road. Today we saw it in the paper! She was charged with driving under the influence of intoxicants! Yay Us!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I have two loaves of sourdough bread in the oven at the moment. I used Penny's recipe, but have serious doubts about how accurately I followed the directions. Measurements were difficult even though I used a scale that has metric measurements available. One of my loaves heavy and smallish. I know I made a big mistake with the proportions of ingredients with that one. I mis-measured & mis-timed certain steps :embarassed: The other is both very soft in texture and very large. I'll report again when they are out of the oven, have cooled and been tasted. This has been quite an adventure so far. :bigsmile:
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    DJ - love the pink poodle - it made me smile! Yes, the pup is only 9 months old - so she does like to play (and play up!). She is very good at bringing things back and placing them in my hand before letting go and wagging her tail just like the graphic! I love her to bits! MA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I have two loaves of sourdough bread in the oven at the moment. I used Penny's recipe, but have serious doubts about how accurately I followed the directions. Measurements were difficult even though I used a scale that has metric measurements available. One of my loaves heavy and smallish. I know I made a big mistake with the proportions of ingredients with that one. I mis-measured & mis-timed certain steps :embarassed: The other is both very soft in texture and very large. I'll report again when they are out of the oven, have cooled and been tasted. This has been quite an adventure so far. :bigsmile:

The reason I don't bake (or buy bread) is that no matter how the bread came out of the oven, I'd want to slather it with butter and eat it all by myself.

roflmao.gif

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Had a long post,and it wouldn't post.leaving early,will try and post tomorrow after memorial
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »

The reason I don't bake (or buy bread) is that no matter how the bread came out of the oven, I'd want to slather it with butter and eat it all by myself.

roflmao.gif

I'm definitely eating bread, but haven't put any butter on it. My weight might be up a bit tomorrow. :ohwell: The large loaf has a nice texture but less flavor. The small loaf is flavorful but would knock an NFL football player to the ground if you threw it and it beaned him. Next time I'll do better
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Barbie- great picture! You look fantastic! What a great way to multitask!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Tracey in PA – I could not get on MFP for a while yesterday, for the same reason … on my laptop. I get this message about 2x a month at some point in time.

Katla – My DYGD asked me if I would teach art to her. We’ll start tomorrow or Sunday depending on whether she spends tonight with a friend. DOS and DDnL#1 and DH and I went to the Mexican Restaurant; and, I could not even eat ½ of the meal. Sort of overdid the chips and salsa; tonight with coffee will eat the flan (one of my favorite desserts); and, I had a small frozen Margarita. Can we all say, you’ve definitely gone over you CI for the day; and, no CO.

Neither one of my DGDs like their art teacher. She doesn’t like them and when she told others in the class that DYGD was a ‘bad girl’ and needed to have her @$$ beat; DDnL#1 went to the school and told her ‘if she was having problems with her children, she needed to contact her and not voice her ‘opinions’ to the class'. She does the same with DMGD. She did not like DOGD after she went to a Homecoming Dance with her son, and let him no in no uncertain terms that it did NOT mean they were going steady by any stretch of the imagination. She got huffy with DOGD then, too.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did an hour on the bosu DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cathe Friedrich Pure Strength DVD.

DJ - my biggest problem with watching TV while on a piece of exercise equipment is that I get so involved with the show that I slow down. I usually don't watch TV for that reason, I usually listen to my iPod (which is ancient...but works)

Karen in VA - what a lovely thing for your friend's dad to say, and so very true!

KarenE - yes, we are a chatty bunch. That's one reason why it's so helpful when someone responds to another. There are things that for whatever reason I missed, but I can catch it on there.

Alsion - so sorry about your aunt. That's so nice of you to go to her memorial service.

Lisa - so sorry about your knees. You probably did the right thing by skipping the gym. Safe travels to your sis'

Mary - have a safe trip. So sorry it's for such a reason, but it sounds like your hubby's uncle lived a good, full life

pip - THAT'S KIRBY???????? He looks much better now, I must say. How nice of him to throw you that party. What a lovely bride you made and Kirby looks SOO handsome in that pic

katla and/or miriam - I must have missed it -- what's going on???? Miriam - you're so wise, I for one love your advice.

Melanie - welcome. As carol said, we encourage each other, thru the good times and the bad times, we're here. I really like your acronym

Joyce - loved what you had to say about Miriam. I feel the same way, I'm just not as good with words as you are. But those are my sentiments exactly

Exercised then went to pay mahjongg. Afterwards went to WalMart hoping to get sneakers, but all they had by Avia were wide width. I bough 2 pair wondering if a wide width in a smaller size would work for me, but it won't. So I'm going to take them back. Then we took Lexi to the vet. Vince is the worry-wort as far as the cats go. Lexi had been sneezing and sounding stuffed up for about a week, so Vince took her to the vet. $40+ later the determination is to just monitor it. But that makes him feel better. Now on here for a bit then will probably watch some TV and come back here.

I'll make the icing for Pete's cake tomorrow, ice it and then we can mail it. First, I'll take a pic of how it should look (nothing nearly as fancy as Heather's) because we all know that when you write "up" on a box, that's a cry to the post office to turn the box upsidedown. After church they're having this retirement dinner for this lady who has worked in the office for a long time. She's a really sweet gal. I got her a retirement card. I signed up for the "dinner" but I doubt I'll stay for it.

barbie and katla - I'm the same way with babka (sweet Polish bread). If I make it, I don't mind if it's heavy but I put lots of cream cheese or butter on it. Maybe that's why I haven't made it in years. I really don't like baking with yeast, anyway.

Michele in NC