Support from significant other...

Options
Was curious to know how your significant other is supporting or not supporting you. I am so incredibly lucky and I know it. My husband has never had to worry about his weight. Lucky him. Anyway, every time I go on my weight loss journey he always has my back and is very encouraging. Would love to here your thoughts.

Replies

• rebaisett
    rebaisett Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    My hubby has been great in every way, making an nice side salad every single night for dinner and encouraging me in all aspects, including running which he loathes. He's undertaken his own weight loss & fitness journey as well. I hope this becomes a POSITIVE thread!!

I love hearing that! Makes me so sad when I hear that the significant other isn't supportive:(
  • rebaisett
    Options
    My husband is an emotionless hole. Not in any way supportive or caring. Sad part is I have turned off my feelings in an effort not to let it bother me anymore.

That really breaks my heart to hear. I will support you! I know it's not the same but I will be here for you.
  • ElleBellesTheoBear
    Options
    This is awesome :-) my husband has been supportive in his own ways. When I'm feeling like cheating he reminds me gently why I'm doing this ect. And has even cooked me a couple meals which is a big deal in my household as he never cooks lol.
  • rebaisett
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories:)
  • Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My SO is somewhat supportive. He will eat the junkfood I buy so I can't eat it (lol), if cooking veges he will help me weigh items an will eat what I cook for him. However he won't cook healthy - adds loads of butter, oil, cheese etc. I got to my weight by eating as much as him and eating what he eats. Plus no exercise. Now I just have to accept i will cook everything an he 'helps' or I eat what he cooks an prepare for more calories.

He's lucky to have a physical job and to eat an drink whatever he wants.

I'm trying at the moment to get him to do the couch 2 5 k. More so for company..
  • rebaisett
    Options
    My SO is somewhat supportive. He will eat the junkfood I buy so I can't eat it (lol), if cooking veges he will help me weigh items an will eat what I cook for him. However he won't cook healthy - adds loads of butter, oil, cheese etc. I got to my weight by eating as much as him and eating what he eats. Plus no exercise. Now I just have to accept i will cook everything an he 'helps' or I eat what he cooks an prepare for more calories.

He's lucky to have a physical job and to eat an drink whatever he wants.

I'm trying at the moment to get him to do the couch 2 5 k. More so for company..
    Maybe slowly not buy the junk food. I didn't go "cold turkey ". I think by making the smallest changes leads to bigger ones. Then it will become second nature. You won't even want that junk. I'm happy that he is making an effort to support you :)
  • rebaisett
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    My DH makes sacrifices so that I can work out. Helps find the $ for gym memberships, watches the kids alone on his day off so I can do a long hike. Hikes & swims along with me & the kids. When he's cooking & serving he measures. Listens as enthusiastically as he can when I blather about weight loss or fitness. He even has good suggestions - he once suggested that I take a break from a deficit every few months in order to practice maintenance & that has worked really well for me. His compliments are along the lines of "You're looking very athletic." He's a good partner & friend to me among all the other stuff.

That's awesome!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    My DH makes sacrifices so that I can work out. Helps find the $ for gym memberships, watches the kids alone on his day off so I can do a long hike. Hikes & swims along with me & the kids. When he's cooking & serving he measures. Listens as enthusiastically as he can when I blather about weight loss or fitness. He even has good suggestions - he once suggested that I take a break from a deficit every few months in order to practice maintenance & that has worked really well for me. His compliments are along the lines of "You're looking very athletic." He's a good partner & friend to me among all the other stuff.

I would say mine is similar. He always comments on how "fit" I look. He listens actively when I describe whatever yoga move I'm working on. He fully supports my work out schedule, even as it changes. Granted, I actively look at his bike rides on his garmin account etc. We work well together.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Hubby rubs my butt after a particularly hard leg day at the gym. That is worth its weight in gold. Oh and he does all the other supportive type things.
    Yes!
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 79 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    He is really good and has made me feel good no matter what size I have been at. We like to cook together a lot. He doesn't weigh or measure his food like I do or eat as strict as I do, but he makes a point to eat pretty healthy. Well, except for his beers. We don't keep too much junk food around which is good because I don't have so much willpower once it's in the house. He does. We don't work out together, but we are both pretty active, early morning people, and support each other, so it works.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    My husband is an emotionless hole. Not in any way supportive or caring. Sad part is I have turned off my feelings in an effort not to let it bother me anymore.

That's sad.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I forgot to book mark this discussion. I wasn't intentionally overlooking replies! Sorry!

Anyhoo, one thing that irks me is I was pretty well on the wagon. Trying to keep my appetite and cravings under control, I was a good week into it and ready to dive head first into the refrigerator. He went to Wendy's around 11 pm. Brought the delicious smelling food home and sat on the foot of the bed eating it while watching TV. I wanted to club him, snatch the fries and run. LOL! He refused to go eat the food in the living room in front of the other TV. Aside from getting dirty looks when he sees me in any state of undress etc... I appreciate the replies to my own comment. Thank you! It's good to vent a little bit for a change.

This is slightly off topic, but bookmark this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/profile/comments/ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken

Then you can easily see all the threads you're participating in.

Sorry he's a jerk.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I forgot to book mark this discussion. I wasn't intentionally overlooking replies! Sorry!

Anyhoo, one thing that irks me is I was pretty well on the wagon. Trying to keep my appetite and cravings under control, I was a good week into it and ready to dive head first into the refrigerator. He went to Wendy's around 11 pm. Brought the delicious smelling food home and sat on the foot of the bed eating it while watching TV. I wanted to club him, snatch the fries and run. LOL! He refused to go eat the food in the living room in front of the other TV. Aside from getting dirty looks when he sees me in any state of undress etc... I appreciate the replies to my own comment. Thank you! It's good to vent a little bit for a change.

That's so hard! I wish I had some words of wisdom or something…