This is why people gain weight, and why losing it is so hard.

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I find having a IDGAF day once or twice a month is enough to satisfy me these days, and will hold me over til the next month. It's all down to what you get yourself used too.

@jdb3388 I bet you'll come back to this thread when you're down to goal weight and laugh at your panic, because by that time you'll be a whole different person, both in body AND mind.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This gal can SO relate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jdb3388 wrote: »
    You don't get to decide what is delicious to me, or anyone else, in the same way I don't get to decide on that for you. I eat a lot of different kinds of food, from cheap fast food, to standard sit-down style restaurants, to homecooked meals, to 5 star cuisine, and I'll tell you right now, I'll take a greasy plate of french fries smothered in cheese and chili and bacon and ranch dressing over a pretty piece of steak or chicken or fish and greens any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I don't care about convenience. I enjoy cooking, which is another thing that everyone in this topic seems to think just doesn't happen when people eat a bunch of bad food. I can make a 2000 calorie dish as well or better than any restaurant can.

The idea that you would be miserable if you couldn't eat all the things you want to eat boggles my mind. I mean, that's kind of just the way life is: you don't get to do every thing you ever want to do. I would like to be at Disney World right now. Am I at Disney World right now? No. No, I am not. Does that mean I'm miserable because I don't have what I want? No, because there are other lovely things in my life right now, and I choose to appreciate and enjoy them.

Additionally, how do you know what you will feel like when you're at your goal weight and in maintenance? You're not there yet. I'd understand a lot better if you said "I'm at my goal weight and trying to maintain, but I'm hungry all the time." As it is, it seems like you're just borrowing hypothetical future trouble. And I don't understand why you would choose to do that.

Valid points.

Being in control of our emotions/hunger/whims/desires/cravings etc etc is all part of being an Adult. Sometimes we just don't get to do everything we want, when we want. Such is life...
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I have always counted calories daily, but I've read that some people say weekly is the way to go. Do any of you guys kinda not really worry about daily and concentrate on weekly? Eating heavy one day and light on another day to make up for it?

Skip breakfast and eat 40g dry weight (non instant) oatmeal for lunch with peanut butter , have 3 slices of pizza for dinner. bam, full and satisfied and under cals for the day by a landslide. binge drink on Fridays. that is the plan you want and need

And your heath goes to *kitten*. Where are the fruits and veggies in this program?

For the OP. As you know 4500 calories is an insane amount on a regular basis, unless your a 200+ pound competitive athlete. As you work on cutting back you will get used to a lower number of calories. As been mentioned you can always up the activity.

Best of luck.

really bud?

Yes based on your suggested menu if this is suppose to be a common occurrence.

"Skip breakfast and eat 40g dry weight (non instant) oatmeal for lunch with peanut butter , have 3 slices of pizza for dinner. bam, full and satisfied and under cals for the day by a landslide. binge drink on Fridays. that is the plan you want and need"

Yes because my response was not flippant and was a 100% serious attempt at giving the OP a fully sustainable diet plan that he should adhere to daily; that approach and has worked well for users such as Sued0nim.
    @Sued0nim do you agree that this is your daily approach?

@Sabine_Stroehm reading comprehension and thread wide context go a long way. @Sued0nim gave the OP great examples to meet his goals in a healthy manner and OP whined them away. My post was not serious, but apparently that wasn't clear enough with the binge drinking and all.

Thanks for the insult. Cheers.

LOTS of folks come on a forum. They don't all read 5 pages of a thread. Posting misleading replies isn't helpful to anyone.

OP doesn't want to be helped, he just wants to complain.

I disagree. He's "in mourning". He's grieving the end of his old life. (If he makes the changes necessary).
    Regardless, he's not the only one reading the thread. Nor will he be. Sarcasm on forums is always iffy.

I love this, because it IS a major loss, isn't it? Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, then Acceptance. OP, sounds like you might be in the anger or depression stage. Don't give up. Take to heart all the other suggestions and advice of the people who have posted - they've been where you are. It's hard to believe that you won't always feel the way you do today, but your feelings will change, your cravings will change, your goals will change, your body will change. You've heard it from many on here and it happened to me too. Follow the plan and refocus on your goal for TODAY. Then worry about tomorrow. Wishing you the best.

Edit to add: P.S. I only had ONE bite of that donut in my profile pic. That NEVER would have happened two years ago. I would have eaten the whole thing and then some. I still have days those 4k calorie days, but it happens so few and far between now. It's a lifelong thing, not something that is a quick fix. Once I realized that (and grieved) my whole attitude changed.

I was really hoping you had eaten that doughnut because it looks soooo delish!! =)
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    For me, its almost ceremonious. Eating is not just something I do to survive, its something I thoroughly enjoy. Meal time is something I look forward to for reasons other than hunger. Telling me to just eat healthier/lower calorie/more nutritious/whatever foods is like telling a cocaine addict that he should just smoke pot instead and everything will be alright. It's not a matter of knowing what to do, because God knows I know exactly what to do, its a matter of being able to do it.

Again, I'm not asking you for help, I'm just making conversation about how much it F#*$&%@ sucks.

You know what? I 100% agree with you. It totally sucks. But the good thing is that after you've done it for awhile (subjective), you won't miss food as much. It won't end up being as euphoric and delish as it feels right now. It takes a long while, but eventually, you're not gonna feel like it sucks because you'll be used to eating differently.

But until you no longer miss it, we can totally feel the suckiness of it together. I'm with you: it does suck!
    Don't you wish we could just eat whatever we wanted with no repercussions? That would be amazing! :smiley:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    _piaffe wrote: »
    OP is projecting feelings on OP's own future self.

It's like a parent talking to a child-free younger version of themselves in their early 20s.

Younger single version says, "I could never have kids / having kids is so upsetting because I really love my partying lifestyle and I hate having to wake up at a certain time and it would REALLY cramp my style... no, you don't understand: I really, REALLY love going for brunch with my single friends, and going to concerts and going with the flow."

The younger single self typically does not wake up with an infant or toddler to care for. Typically, single self first finds a partner and decides the partner is a keeper. They plan a future together and slowly or quickly build a life together. Eventually, they turn their mind to having a child. They try to get pregnant or adopt - this can take years. Years and tears. Eventually, they may get lucky and be in the process. Pregnancy is 9-10 looooong months of preparation and education (again, typically). Other processes are also long and fraught with challenge. So much can go awry.

And eventually, if they are luckier still, you have a baby / child.

The person at the end of this journey is no longer the young single version of themself that they once were. Sure, habits linger. There is longing and nostalgia. "The good old days" are missed. But you are a new version of you.

OLD you would never in a zillion years want to, overnight, take on parenting - it would ruin their lifestyle instantly!

But that lifestyle evolved into something different.

You started out alright and then turned to the assumption that everyone wants to have a kid to illustrate your point that everyone turns out the same. I'm not like OP because I hadn't thought about how little I would have to eat after losing weight. But had I considered it, I would have felt like he does now. As a childfree man who knew as a teenager (because I thought about that) he didn't ever want to have kids; I haven't ever changed my mind. Your logic that everyone will do a 180 on what they want out of life makes me feel insulted.

Agree 100%. Her post started fine, but then, yeah, turned into something else.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I had considered doing an Edit to add the starting premise - which I thought was obvious - ie that we were talking generally about a person who wanted a particular outcome, but is DEEPLY conflicted on the impact that outcome would have on current lifestyle.

In my analogy, that outcome was a child. Of course, not everybody wants a child - that is a completely valid choice. OP is deeply conflicted because he WANTS to lose weight. Yet does not want to give up his lifestyle.

I should have done the edit or not bothered posting. Sigh. And sorry for unintended offence!

That makes a little bit more sense, but your first post mentions someone is childfree and then ends up being happy with a kid later in life. Childfree is a term used for people like me who neither have nor want to have kids ever. It is often misunderstood and confused with those who are childless, which would properly describe a person who has no kids, but wants to have kids (even if they are not sure it would fit into their expected lifestyle). For someone like me who is childfree, the idea that I would be happy caring for a kid must assume that I haven't known what I really want out of life for the last 2 decades since I made that decision, but that you do know exactly what I want out of life even better than I know. I hope that helps you understand why this is so upsetting.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I had considered doing an Edit to add the starting premise - which I thought was obvious - ie that we were talking generally about a person who wanted a particular outcome, but is DEEPLY conflicted on the impact that outcome would have on current lifestyle.

In my analogy, that outcome was a child. Of course, not everybody wants a child - that is a completely valid choice. OP is deeply conflicted because he WANTS to lose weight. Yet does not want to give up his lifestyle.

I should have done the edit or not bothered posting. Sigh. And sorry for unintended offence!

I got what you were going for, just didn't think it lined up to the OP's situation. I wasn't offended.