Replies

• blumenstockbj
    blumenstockbj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Maryann. Yeah for TOBY.
  • blumenstockbj
    Options
    Ok I'm doing something wrong or silly system. I enter a reply to various members and when I post only the very first one is the only one to post. Not sure why.
  • blumenstockbj
    Options

Ok I'm doing something wrong or silly system. I enter a reply to various members and when I post only the very first one is the only one to post. Not sure why.

Okay trying to add name for the 3rd tim
    Barb Bee. Indiana
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Another story about Buddy that shows his personality. Our neighbor loved our sheltie so much that went out and bought a female, named her Sissy. Well we both have completely fenced in back yards and from those days the fence is the old chain link, not the privacy fence. So Buddy and Sissy soon got to be great friends, but a fence was forever between them. So they ran up and down the length of the fence playing with each other.At the first of the day one would just stand by the fence waiting for the other to come out. Well one day another dog came to the area behind our houses. Sissy was at the back of the fence defending her territory, just barking away. Where was Buddy? Underneath our deck! Like all other dogs, if he can't see you then you must not be able to see him. Bath time was terrible. The only time the wter was run into the bath tub was when it was for him. We all took showers. So he would run and get on Charlie's lap and try to hide his whole head between Charlie and the side of the recliner, oh would he whine. But he knew Michelle's tone of voice and it meant business. He would slowly walk down the hall like he was walking to the gallows, tail down as low as it could get. But he would stop at the bath tub, nope, not going in. All Michelle would have to do is point and say in and he would begrudgingly go in. After he was in he loved it. and he loved the blow dryer, that is until he decided he was done. Then I would usually take it outside and let the sun help while I would brush. I think I could carpet the whole lawn with his hair. Loved that boy.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Michele – I don’t ‘think’ the names are alphabetical; seems like we looked in a book to find names (in alphabetical order) and it told you which section it was on. But, I could be wrong; it has been over 30 years since I have seen it. I’m sure that it is made up of all the names of soldiers that died in Vietnam for the duration of the war. About 10 years of being in that jungle! My sister used to wear a bracelet that had the name of a soldier MIA. She asked for one that went MIA on her birthdate. When he came home, or otherwise found … she returned the bracelet to the family with a note of what it had meant to be able to wear it. I think she found out that he had been a POW. As for Vince, I don’t think men feel bad about anything; or they tell us that we should not worry about things. Most of the time when DH tells me this, he is usually right; but, it doesn't keep me from worrying.

One reason when I was living in an apartment I preferred to live on the top floor; but never lived in anything other than a 2- to 3-story apartment building. If I wanted a good view I had some friend that lived right below the penthouse with a view of the city of Atlanta. It was gorgeous but, they paid a small mint for it. I could go and use their pool or sit out at any time. Did you not have ‘renter’s insurance’? That probably would have paid for it; then they would have gone against the people above you to at least force them to repair the toilet so that it would not occur again. I think that the landlord should have forced them to fix it, or they should have fixed it when they realized that it had caused damage in your apartment. Maybe 'if'' they had had renter's insurance it might have covered damaged caused by their doing or not doing something. Renter's insurance is pretty inexpensive; and, at least your belonging are protected. That makes no sense that they were NOT required to fix it. And I am talking about the apartment owner/or company that rents them out. But, FL has a lot of screwy laws.

Yeah, December 15th. I had counted wrong; going to be November 15th. I guess I thought we were already in the month of June, instead of counting it as a full month. Either way, I just counted wrong. So happy to know I have 30 less to have to wait.

Katla – If there is a medical supply company near you, she could buy a good BP cuff there (she might have to ask her OB/GYN write a Rx for one); but, they have good ones. Some even have those that you put on your wrist and then hold your wrist over your heart. I have a cuff; and it is pretty accurate and is automatic. The worst part is putting the cuff on correctly with only one hand. It's more accurate than the ones at the stores. She can also stop by an EMT station and have it taken free of charge and if they think she should see her OB/GYN they will probably have her call the office (or better yet have one of them call the office, so they can get her in quickly if need be). I remember coming home from picking up my granddaughters from school, and felt so bad, I stopped to have them take it. I don’t remember what the top number was but it was low; but, the bottom number was 50, they called my MD about it and I could not leave until it went back up to 80 within a certain period of time. I went to see my MD the next day because I did not need to leave the girls at home. They gave the girls a tour of the place while we were waiting to check it again.

Kate in UK – Have you found it harder to lose those pesky few lbs. to get to your goal? I was so close the time before my last time; then, went on vacation for 10 days and I weighed in and I had put on 3lbs. I’m not sure that I have lost that yet; and, I go for my next weigh-in tomorrow. I don't have that many lbs. to lose; but, I am still 2 points away from my BMI being 'normal'. So, I won't be stopping until I reach that goal. Exercise has been difficult to do because of the weather. It's sunny now, so I probably ought to go out and get in the pool. But, it also rained 1 1/2 - 2 inches here last night, so the water will be a little cooler. I think I will just get up on the treadmill and walk until I can't.

Lenora
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Fit4sure wrote: »
    Hello. My name is Rebecca...52...looking for support. Lost a BUNCH of weight 10 years ago and have maintained it beautifully until I got a job with a long commute AND busted my knees in a weight loss accident. So until a surgery happens, I'm not active except walking a small amount with my job. :(

As I'm menopausal, I realize that NOW weight maintenance may be harder. As my job requires me to hold my weight to a certain level, I'm struggling. Thought I'd pop in and say howdy and (sigh) not feel so alone right now. Just of late I did a stupid thing (I GUESS it's stupid?) and lowered my calorie intake to 930-950 calories JUST to get my weight down for my employee weigh in and then my back went out and I had a sudden rise. So am basically feeling like a failure. Not generally this accident prone...the weight lifting accident happened when I was TEACHING a cardio kickboxing class and demonstrating the move without a mat. Used to doing 1 to 2 hour a day workouts down to 2 hours or more on the road a day and a job that is not active...kind of messing with my head HOW to get this 8 lbs. down but have been trying for MONTHS! How do you all do this?

I should qualify that I'm not new to weight loss. Lost 120 lbs. to get to goal 10 years ago. On here to drop 8 to put me employee compliant and return me to my happy place which is about 12 lbs. higher than my lowest (was younger back then...)

I'm not hungry. But I feel like I could get slapped around for the 900-ish calories a day and wonder if I'm missing something. Any advice, encouragement , wisdom...appreciated. Please feel free to "friend" me. I could use a few.

Hi Rebecca and welcome! I think that dropping down to 900-ish calories is not going to get you the results you want because your body is just going to go into starvation mode and start conserving more calories. I would focus on getting as much movement as you can, given your injuries. For calories, I would stick to around 1200 per day as a minimum. Then, I would recommend you focus on what you are eating for those 1200 calories – try to get in more protein to help support your lean muscle mass and eat as many vegies as you can stand. I’m certainly not an expert at this whole weight loss thing, but that is my amateur advice.

Linda/IA <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,525 Member
    Options
  • NO_Excuses_515
    Options
    Hello from windy Oklahoma. Just found this group and hope to be encouraged as well as encourage others in this journey. I have recently entered the land of doom known and pre-menapause and I am not liking it at all. Ten years ago I set out to get myself in shape and managed to lose 60 lbs and felt great. I was active and ran nearly every day. About six years ago I had a change in jobs which meant I was working longer hours and sitting on my rear for most of them. It was hard to maintain my workout schedule and it eventually dried up. With changes in other habits and my healthy eating I have managed to put on 53 lbs over the past six years. It wasn't fast but a gradual sneaky increase that I didn't fight hard enough to keep at bay. I am trying to re-group and remember what changes I made back then so I can start back in the right direction and get myself back to my goal weight before my next birthday in 8 months. Hope to make a friend or two on here. Have a great day!!

Hi Mary and welcome! I think you'll find some friends here. :) I've been struggling with pre-menopause symptoms and the challenges of losing weight while my hormones are going crazy. I don't have any answers, just support.

Linda/IA
  • NO_Excuses_515
    Options
    Getting back on track this week, so my quote for today is this. "The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away very small stones." - William Faulkner

<3
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Options
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Lenora I am finding it difficult to lose this last few pounds but will keep going. My BMI is 25 but I feel I need to lose the last pounds. Going on holiday next week so hope I don't put too many lbs on will try to eat healthy and do lots of walking

Kate UK
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hey All!

The names on the Vietnam Wall are in chronological order from beginning to end. That is from the first fatality to the last. To find a name, you need to know the panel number and row. DH and I visit it in DC every year on Memorial Day. On the Sunday of that weekend there is an event called Rolling Thunder which is a motorcycle tribute to Vietnam vets. Appoximately a Million motorcycles are in DC during that event. We have done it for years. It is a tuly humbling tribute to those whom have served.

Tracey in PA
  • pipcd34
    Options
    T.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Good evening!
    Was hoping to have a couple of photos to show you, but they are still in the ether. :o
    I am very tired. The short break was lovely, but exhausting. I need a good night's sleep. :)

I heard today, via an email from DDIL, that my elder son has left his job. Nobody told me at the party. My ex didn't say anything. I am worried as he suffers from severe depression. Something for a mother to worry about. :'(
    My younger son has torn his hamstring. Playing tennis. Makes life very difficult.

Too tired to write much. Will do better tomorrow.

Love Heather UK
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy mon,hot one here in Il,
    hugs
    jane
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday from Toronto (where I work) - This IS such a chatty group - LOVE IT! - weekend was pretty good - saw "Sully" with Tom Hanks - sooooo good - I would highly recommend it. - I did have movie popcorn - but shared an extra large bag with 3 others so it wasn't too bad!

My Sabateur at home brought 4 bags of those bite-sized chocolates, i.e. Chocolate covered Raisins, Chocolate covered Peanuts, Reeses, and some other concoction. After the kids left on Sunday - I had to put them out of site because - well you know!

So that's about it for now. Lots of stuff, but not!

Melanie
    Toronto
    a.k.a. Wickglamgirl
  • meuy43
    meuy43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had one of those POW/MIA bracelets and when I went to the memorial, I looked him up in the book and found him on the wall. I think the names are grouped by the year they died or went missing. It hit me hard emotionally, that wall makes such a powerful statement. I was just a youngster at the time of the Vietnam War and didn't really know anyone who served and did not survive.

Today, I didn't do anything on my list of things I was supposed to do. I had to water this silly plant outside my front door that was almost dead. Before I could get that done I got sidetracked and did laundry, cleaned the kitchen, paid bills, weeded out the back garden and pruned, hauled all of that out to the front for garbage day tomorrow, then was so dirty I had to shower and run to Trader Joe's for something for dinner tonight. That was when I walked by that blasted plant again.... finally 5 hours later I watered it. Looked at the list and checked off Trader Joe's and that was it. Ugh!! Mama said there'd be days like this, days like this my mama said....
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Options
    <3