INTERMITTENT FASTING - A LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    I don't know why but IF doesn't have a massive effect on my appetite all day long. When I eat first thing in the morning, I am starving all day long...so there is a little magic for me. I don't know why but it does add up to a sum greater than its parts for me.

@ogtmama I think IF like Keto or LCHF we have to become fat adapted before IF may work. Getting into ketosis the first time took me a couple weeks I think. IF as I see it just LCHF. We are low carb because we are not eating and we are high fat because we're burning body fat.

IF need not be LCHF at all. I've considered doing 5:2 or even 16:8 (I used to eat that way for periods of time and never found it difficult), and read about it, and LCHF wasn't an element.

I was wrong. IF is only ZERO carb if you will think about it. :)

IF and Keto are functionally the same. You are withholding carb intake in IF and greatly reducing carbs to do keto.

The major way to make fat the fastest is carbs. The best way to lose fat is the inverse.

Technically the fastest way to make fat is to eat High Carb and High Fat at the same time. Processed food can work well to fatten up on for this reason. A Big Mac comes to mind especially chased down with sugar water.

No, not really.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I don't know why but IF doesn't have a massive effect on my appetite all day long. When I eat first thing in the morning, I am starving all day long...so there is a little magic for me. I don't know why but it does add up to a sum greater than its parts for me.

@ogtmama I think IF like Keto or LCHF we have to become fat adapted before IF may work. Getting into ketosis the first time took me a couple weeks I think. IF as I see it just LCHF. We are low carb because we are not eating and we are high fat because we're burning body fat.

IF need not be LCHF at all. I've considered doing 5:2 or even 16:8 (I used to eat that way for periods of time and never found it difficult), and read about it, and LCHF wasn't an element.

IF and Keto are functionally the same. You are withholding carb intake in IF and greatly reducing carbs to do keto.

The major way to make fat the fastest is carbs. The best way to lose fat is the inverse.

Technically the fastest way to make fat is to eat High Carb and High Fat at the same time. Processed food can work well to fatten up on for this reason. A Big Mac comes to mind especially chased down with sugar water.

No. I skip breakfast and wait about 15-16 hours after eating at night and eating again in the morning. Some days my carb count is less than 100g. Other days it's over 200g. When I eat does not impact what I eat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    auddii wrote: »

No. I skip breakfast and wait about 15-16 hours after eating at night and eating again in the morning. Some days my carb count is less than 100g. Other days it's over 200g. When I eat does not impact what I eat.

If one is eating Carbs, Protein or Fats in the IF window then one is NOT doing IF period. It is when you are going ZERO carbs that is giving you the health gains of doing IF.

No Zero Carb window = No IF period.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member

If one is eating Carbs, Protein or Fats in the IF window then one is NOT doing IF period. It is when you are going ZERO carbs that is giving you the health gains of doing IF.

Protein gives an insulin response too.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

I've seen studies where they showed that pure fat administered through IV did not bring the body out of fasting, which is rather interesting if you want to fast and take in more energy, I just don't know how you could eat/drink pure fat other than oil. Ugh, no thanks on that!
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I don't eat low carb at all, but have never had an issue fasting. I do it from time to time for religious reasons (full day fast).

That is because you went ZERO carb for the day. Carbs are the driver of most all cravings. Hungry is real so we do not die but cravings are not so much. :)

No. No they aren't. Are you seriously suggesting that people on low carb diets have no cravings for food?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited September 2016

But not all IF goes for fat adaptation so what happens to those who are doing a higher carb variation? You won't normally run out of Glycogen on a 16:8 unless you are highly active but then you'll just replenish during your eating window. Also, what do you consider fat adaptation. My understanding is that most Keto dieters talk about fat/keto adaptation as being after they lose the fog and fatigue symptoms but from a biological standpoint it actually happens within a few days. I don't see IF being able to consider themselves fat adapted unless they are eating a ketogenic diet on the IF.

The way I understand it, you can be fat-adapted without being in ketosis if you follow a lower carb (but not ketogenic-low), adequate protein diet. If you can get yourself fat-adapted, it makes IF much easier.

When I went lower carb, I could easily go all day without food and not have any hypoglycemic feelings, even with exercise. IF was a breeze. I felt so clear-headed and energetic. I fell out of it after a recent illness and I'm having a hard time getting back into the groove of lower carb (and IF) due to carb cravings.

Being fat adapted would be possible with a low carb or keto variation but when I did IF I was still higher carb (45-50%) so I don't believe I was fat adapted, except while sleeping when we normally go into mild ketosis naturally.

I think this is the point...by extending the period of zero carbs an extra few hours, we extending the mild form of ketosis and that effects our appetite and fat burn...no?

Like I said, I accept that MOST of the benefits of IF are that it's a tool to keep calories down, but there are extra benefits I think.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Technically yes, but this does not make you fat adapted. The human body burns mostly fat at rest so in normal circumstances there would be plenty of glycogen to "snack on" that keeps getting topped up during the eating window.

Keto proponents actually say it takes months on low carb and no refeed to get properly fat adapted, interesting if that can be achieved via partial abstinence. What's also interesting is that my satiety greatly suffers if I don't eat carbs, so you can basically be fat adapted but still need carbs for satiety and energy?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member

Technically yes, but this does not make you fat adapted. The human body burns mostly fat at rest so in normal circumstances there would be plenty of glycogen to "snack on" that keeps getting topped up during the eating window.

Keto proponents actually say it takes months on low carb and no refeed to get properly fat adapted, interesting if that can be achieved via partial abstinence. What's also interesting is that my satiety greatly suffers if I don't eat carbs, so you can basically be fat adapted but still need carbs for satiety and energy?

I think that it's the fiber that gives us satiety. Candy doesn't do that.
  • GaleHawkins

Considering that fat enters the blood stream directly as fat and carbs need to go through DNLG I don't believe you are correct here. Carbs take a long time to become fat unless you are already full on glycogen, which means you would be highly over nourished. Now if you are talking about a systemic overview where you reduce fat oxidation while Insulin levels are raised due to a recent feeding on carbs then I can see that being a sort of backdoor way of saying this but technically it would not be correct.

The fastest way to lose fat is well know, be in a large caloric deficit.

Yeah, fast food is a great ball of energy that most people don't need.

Can we all just agreed a caloric deficit is REQUIRED to lose fat and there is no white or black magic that will cause FAT LOSS so we do have have to repost and repost that statement? :)

integrateddiabetes.com/Articles/insu/insulin%20&%20weight%20gain%20edited.pdf

"“Why does insulin cause weight gain?”
    Insulin is a hormone that promotes the uptake of
    sugar (glucose) by almost all of the body’s cells,
    including muscle, liver and fat cells. At any
    given time, our cells are also burning glucose
    for fuel. If our fuel intake (calories eaten) is
    greater than our energy expenditure (calories
    burned), we tend to store more glucose than we
    burn. Muscle and liver cells store this extra
    glucose in a form called “glycogen”, which is a
    very dense, compact form of glucose. Fat cells
    store the extra glucose as fat."

I think most of you understand "Insulin" does NOT cause weight gain but that it "Enables" weight gain if one is over eating any source of calories be it C,P or F.

Carbs is the main driver of Insulin production in healthy people. IF works well because one is doing ZERO carbs in the IF window so insulin levels drops yet the body "requires" energy so it flips to burning fat because of the lack of glucose.

Low insulin level means low fat storing hormone level so we are not likely to store fact.

Our BMR still requires energy to maintain where is low, normal or high. Due to the being zero carb due to IF the body flips to burning fat. NO MAGIC is involved unless you call being Flex Fuel Ready magic. :)

Carbs are NO evil but are the main driver of Insulin production. Protein drives it about half as much as carbs. Fats functionally is not an Insulin driver.

Eating High Fat is NO magic but I thing all of you understand if 80% of my calories are coming from FATS vs. 80% Carbs that my Insulin levels are not going to peak as high after a meal and STOP my fat loss program as much.

Again this is all simple physiology. We have about 30 hormones that enable life. Insulin is but one and some of them impact our Insulin levels.

• GaleHawkins

I've seen studies where they showed that pure fat administered through IV did not bring the body out of fasting, which is rather interesting if you want to fast and take in more energy, I just don't know how you could eat/drink pure fat other than oil. Ugh, no thanks on that!

You are getting warm. :) Fat did not trigger Insulin production. While I use coconut oil in coffee or tea every morning I do not like drinking it up straight either.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

I think that it's the fiber that gives us satiety. Candy doesn't do that.

Starch in my particular case, fiber enhances the effect of course. Satiety is a weird thing isn't it?
  • GaleHawkins
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I don't eat low carb at all, but have never had an issue fasting. I do it from time to time for religious reasons (full day fast).

That is because you went ZERO carb for the day. Carbs are the driver of most all cravings. Hungry is real so we do not die but cravings are not so much. :)

No. No they aren't. Are you seriously suggesting that people on low carb diets have no cravings for food?

I lost my carb cravings after not eating them for two weeks.

I still get hungry but I just make sure on any day my total carbs are <50 grams in the process of feeding my hunger. I can now go 12 hours without eating and still function. When I lived on a high carb diet after 4 hours I had to eat or drink more carbs to kind of function. Fat is more like diesel fuel where carbs is more of a flash fuel like gasoline.
  • GaleHawkins

I agree about keto. I have never tried IF not being fat adapted.
  • GaleHawkins

You are getting warm. :) Fat did not trigger Insulin production. While I use coconut oil in coffee or tea every morning I do not like drinking it up straight either.

Lol.

First off, fat does trigger insulin release. It just happens at a slower rate and at much lower concentrations but it is there.

Second, habitual coffee intake results in increased fasting insulin concentration (probably through mechanism of decrease in insulin sensitivity).

And all along you are forgetting about insulin sensitivity. It's not only the concentration in the body that matters but the uptake and impact.

Enjoy that coffee.

Why do think over eating of carbs increases one risk of developing cancer but over eating of fats does not increase the risk of developing cancer then?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »

I lost my carb cravings after not eating them for two weeks.

I still get hungry but I just make sure on any day my total carbs are <50 grams in the process of feeding my hunger. I can now go 12 hours without eating and still function. When I lived on a high carb diet after 4 hours I had to eat or drink more carbs to kind of function. Fat is more like diesel fuel where carbs is more of a flash fuel like gasoline.

That's great that it works for you. But many people in this thread are saying the opposite.
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Why do think over eating of carbs increases one risk of developing cancer but over eating of fats does not increase the risk of developing cancer then?

Carbs cause cancer?