WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2016

Options

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Brilliant Babes!

Well, the AC replacement quote isn't as bad as it could have been, but now I have to figure out how to pay for it! Darn it, why can't $5,000 fall from the sky when you need it? It's a lot - but, it covers the inside bits, the outside bits and a new furnace - since all the parts are interconnected. AND, it will be DONE, and over with, for the next ten years or so, anyway.

Still, this just gives me more motivation to sell my house and move into a postage-stamp condo. This winter, it's fence, fence, fence and the hard-sell to DH on selling and moving into a tiny place with no exterior maintenance. And, hey, a brand new air and heating system is a great selling point...

By the time I spend 11 to 13 hours a day doing the whole "Go to Work" thing (getting ready, driving there, working, driving home), another hour a the gym, another hour prepping meals, I am starting to run out of gas for things like Mowing, Trimming and Weeding. And don't get me started on Shopping, Laundry and Cleaning... *sighs* I just want a little place that I can clean in an afternoon - with no worries about the outside. I really don't think it's too much to ask.

Now all I have to do is start getting rid of the 15 yrs accumulation of "stuff" that we have collected. I refuse to move a whole truck full of books, a second time. LOVE my tablet. And while I enjoy the process of holding the book and turning the pages, I don't enjoy it so much that I am willing to lug around 50 moving boxes full of books, anymore. A few treasured volumes will be kept... otherwise, everything must go!

Allie - Every girl needs a Battery Operated Boyfriend. Just remember - there is nothing Tom can do for you that you can't do for yourself.

Katla – Thanks! I am trying to stay on the straight and narrow.

Lenora – Keep your chin up, Sugar. It’s her karma that will suffer… try to be the better woman.

Tracey – Thanks – It’s not the end of the world… just another added expense. But, hey – it’s only money.

Pip – I long for the day when any activity only gets me 99 calories… lol. That just means you have done very, very well. Love the dog pics.

NYKaren – exercise is awesome stuff. Glad your mood is better.

Still swamped, and now trying to conjure funds from the air – so, I must go. Tomorrow is another day…

Hugs for Everybody!

Re in TX
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,068 Member
    Options
    Rori Thank you!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm not even going to try to catch up with the 300+ messages I've missed.

Went to the funeral in CO this past weekend. It was a tough funeral. We went to Mesa Verde and went hiking that afternoon to try to brighten up the day.

Travel was horrendous. Note to self (and anyone reading): DO NOT be an "entitled traveler" that expects everyone to bow down and serve you. There is a plane of people and you are not the most important person around. We had an idiot create a mess that caused the flight to be late and 2/3 of the plane missed their connecting flights. We ended up flying home separately from Denver and it took us about six hours longer than it should have. All because someone was too important to be treated like a common person. I'm sorry but regional jets do not have first class and everyone, EVERYONE has to gate check their bags plus .... well I'll leave it at that but that was the least of this man's problems. Rich entitled idiot (he made sure we all knew he could buy and sell the whole plane). Let me tell you the entire plane load of folks was mad at him and the flight crew had a very hard time being pleasant to him (yet they were).

Absolutely hate the new Apple update for iphones. Now my phone has to relearn all my learned names. We have several foreign names in the family and it's a pain to have to retype it every time. Plus the messaging is just annoying now. Thank you but I don't want to send balloons or kisses..... *sigh* I am so not "hip." (do they even say hip anymore?)

Getting in some last minute chores before surgery on Monday. At least it should be Monday. It better be Monday.

Marcelyn
    in Houston
    where it was a cool 96 today after 98 and 110 heat index yesterday!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
    stats for the day: had to ride hm, train was going to be over an hr late, opportunity for a good calorie burn!
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.52min, 14.8amph, 145mhr, 2.9mi = 96c
    JOG- 8.10min, 7.0sp for 1/2mi, 7.5sp for .40mim 8.0sp for .10mi, 8.11ap, 161mhr, 1mi = 99c
    JOG- 4.28min, 5.3sp with 9.0-10.0sp burst, 161mhr, 1/2mi = 66c
    other- 23min, various machines, 2sts of 10-15, 30-100#s, 119mhr = 110c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.57min, 12.4amph, 138mhr, 1.4mi = 69c
    ride wk 2 hm- 51.22min, 11.5amph, 151mhr, 130ahr, 9.8mi = 463c
    total cal 903
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Heather: I remember an old saying of my mother's, "Act in haste, repent at leisure." Moving is a big decision. Take all the time you need making your decision, even if it turns out to be months. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: Ice-cream and pizza explains a lot of peoples weight gains. I'm happy for you that you've got it back off already. I love the photo of your mom. :heart:

Rori: I hope you have a good experience selling your Hawaii condo, and make a nice profit on it. :smiley:

Michele: I love your patriotic snail. It puts a big smile on my face. :bigsmile:

Marcelyn: I'm not thrilled with the iphone update, either. There was an update to the update that helped but added a layer that I find useless and irritating. Did you get that, too? There are lots of negative stories on the net. My phone is working okay again, but I don't like some of the changes & I think they gobbled up a lot of memory without making things better. :grumble:

I met with the woman who owns the stable where I take my riding lessons earlier today. She is a very nice woman, and has offered me the chance to ride one of her horses between lesson days. My teacher is opposed to the idea because this horse fits the old rhyme about the little girl with a curl-"when she was good she was very, very good, but when she was bad she was horrid." I don't have the riding skills to handle horrid. There are a couple of other possibilities at the stable and we'll see. Meanwhile I'm planning to go and help muck out stalls on Thursday just for the fun of it and because I want to know how.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Margaret, your Mama is beautiful. Give her big hugs for me next time you visit. Makes me miss my dear mom very much. The last time I saw her she told me I was the "apple of her eye" I was her baby. I cherish that visit.

Charleen I'll own the redness all over, but I firmly refuse to take on the shoulder pain. Now feeling very guilty regarding my previous statement, I sincerely aplogize to our dear friend who is still suffering. <3

Marcelyn - sending good thots for successful surgery Monday and a speedy recovery. Sorry you had such a miserable trip after a miserable reason necessitating said trip in the first place. :(

Re I vote for the condo. I owned two in Denver and one in Southern California and it's the best. Never lived in one with someone above or below me. One had three bedrooms, three baths, and a basement. They aren't all "postage stamp" sized. Good luck in doing what is best for you. (((Hugs)))

Had a wonderful dinner at Mama S's tonight. I'm going to have to be very, very careful while here. She was a cook for eight crew members for 17 years on a tug boat on the Mississippi river after her husband died of cancer in his 40's. She would be on the tug boat for one month and home for a month. She has mesmerizing stories I love to hear.

Janetr okc

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    I hate being around someone like you described this 'other' passenger on the plane to be ... nobody is better than someone else; especially on a 'regional' plane. Like you said, 'no first class' ... everybody was on the same level. We all put our feet into our 'pants/panties' the same way with all the same bodily functions or lack thereof. Maybe he was being such a 'butt' because he lacks something. Still doesn't mean he should be able to basically 'highjack' the plane by being a @$$-O! So, if he was so rich that he could buy the whole plane; why did he not have his 'own' jet? Dumb-@$$!

Does anybody know where you can find a 'big stick'? LOL!!!! >:)
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Mary, thank goodness you didn’t get hit by the tree. I do have a question that I have always wondered about. I know you were there but did it make a noise? happy-tree-smiley-emoticon-animation.gif (sorry, I’m just in one of my silly moods.) Glad you are okay!!!

Re, sorry to hear about all the unexpected and unwanted expenses. Hang in there and hopefully you will get them paid off before you are my age. money-exchange-smiley-emoticon.gif

Joyce, bless you for your patience at the store!!!! Congrats on your MS report. That is wonderful. (((Hugs)))

Janetr, so sorry you are covered again but glad you got a thorough check. I hope all those meds do the trick.

Heather, I recall you saying that your DH was a “country boy” that you didn’t think would ever want to move to the city. That is exciting just to think about a possible move. Is it likely that your DS and DDIL will be staying in Brighton/Hove for the long term? Hoping the best for your DS and the future job search.

Lisa, thanks for the good reminder that we have to be ever mindful about what we put in our mouths….or / and even on our plates. If it’s on my plate, I’m likely to eat it. I’m like you in that I hate to throw up. If over eating did that to me, I’d probably think twice the next time.

CarolGA, good move to turn off the TV unless there is a specific program you plan to watch. Hope it goes well for you.

Terri,, so good to see you again. That is terrific for your DD, both the job and living arrangement. Glad the ankle is coming along and not too painful. Do come in when you can. We miss you!

Katla, sorry your DD is having problems. I know it can’t be easy to leave your DD when you go to be with her but hopefully he will be fine. ((((Hugs))))

Those I haven’t responded to, please know that I value each and every one of you. Hello to all and best wishes for all of your wishes to come true.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I went to Dolly Parton’s Pirate’s Voyage tonight. I didn’t eat the soup but the baked chicken was melt in your mouth delicious. I did eat the wedge of potato but passed on the corn on the cob. The real deal killer was their warm apple turnover that is to die for. I had already decided I would splurge on it. Oh yum. The performance has changed since the last time I went which was over 3 years ago and it was better than ever. I went with some very good friends and we had a fun girl’s night out.

Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Katla- I agree with your teacher. If you are going to be riding by yourself you don't want a horse with unpredictable temperament.

DJ- I thought the same thing immediately after! Yes, trees, thankfully make a lot of noise when falling!

I will be on the road all day tomorrow. Unable to respond most of the day. I will be getting up early to swing the Kettlebell!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,740 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    thank you for the anniversary wishes, we both worked 10+ hr days
    He did get me a nice cars, the front has 2 little kids smooching under an umbrella.and says I may be an ordinary man, and you open and it says But I am married to one extraordinary woman, beautiful amazing you.. and he put xoxox as the signature.. now it is a beautiful card.. you know how us women read through alot until we get the right one, I am wondering if he just picked one and went lol. but hey I will take what I can get..
    Janet~ sorry for the rash, and hope you can get that taken care of so you can enjoy your vacation
    Pip~ just want to snuggle up with the pups...
    working 1-6 today and tomorrow off.. trying to figure out what to do with myself for the day.. was gonna go to the Big E, but maybe will find something quiet to do for myself
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    We are still dithering about whether we are actually wanting to move, but we thought it was a good idea to get a valuation on our house so we know what we can buy. I rang the estate agents we bought this house from, nearly six years ago, and they are coming next Wednesday.
    Still need to have a conversation with DS etc. DH is very concerned about that. Plus we need to be sure this is for us, not just to be nearer the grandchildren.
    One problem is that it does involve some serious downsizing because of the expensive area they live in. I would be happy in a new apartment with balcony, but I can't see DH signing up for that. We also need a room for our gym machines. There are smaller houses around there, but not many. Can't see the point of living further away from them, although good public transport can makes a difference.
    Oh well. As Katla said, there is no rush.

By the way, Katla, I send hugs for your current worries about your daughter and husband. I remember there was one time you left him with his sister. Could you organise someone to pop in once a day? I know you worry about his blood sugar and general health.

Looking forward to going out tonight. :D Got to tidy up and vacuum the living room etc. :laugh:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    Options
    going down in a bit to feed DFIL havent been down in a week because of work schedule and being in N.H. for the weekend
    second cup of tea.. and then off I go..
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Wednesday! It is going to be a great day. I can feel it. I got my full eight hours. Took a walk this morning in the dark and ran into a train. Not a train, really, just a man I see frequently on my morning walks who wears a full vest of lights. He just reminds me of a big locomotive coming my way. I have one headlamp and here he comes with about six rows of lights across his chest. LOL! Makes me giggle every morning! My newborn and his brother have arrived. Newborn still asleep and brother dozing on the sofa with his blankie and I popped Winnie the Pooh in the dvd player, so he is quite comfortable. PLUS...it's pancake day and pb&j day. Every Wednesday I serve pancakes for breakfast and pb&j for lunch. The kid's favorite meals/day.
    Heather - I am not sure if the childcare rules in the US are the same for every state, but here in Michigan we are allowed to care for up to 6 children under the age of four. Can only have two under 18 months at one time. I think each caregiver really needs to assess the ages that work best for them. I am finding as I get older, that my patience is wearing thinner. LOL! 23 years of childcare and it's still the same old thing. I fell like I have said "No!" so many times and that I have changed diapers for half the kids in the city I live in. Most days it feels as if I am headed either for sainthood or the psyche ward. So neat that you and dh are on the same page and looking into a move. I agree that having your current place appraised is a smart move. I also agree that you have time. No rush! Moving is a chore; so you def want to be sure!
    Pip - Love the pups! They bring so much comfort!
    Re- Hoo-boy! I know exactly what you are feeling right now. That feeling that you are treading water and your head is just barely above the surface. AND to have all of the tasks and chores of daily life that just seem to be there, needing to get done. Hang in there! It will get better! Sending much love and hugs!
    Marcelyn- Wow! What a trip! A funeral, a hike to try to shake the blues away and then the awful person at the airport. Hope you found comfort in being back home! <3
    Allie- So glad he got you a card! And both of you working long hours on your anni? It is hard to fit life in, sometimes! My dh frequently shops for me at the nearest gas station for birthdays and anniversaries. So when I get something that I can tell some type of thought went into it....I keep it forever. I seriously have a shoebox, under my bed with cards and notes that he has given me. He has kept all of mine, too. I found them all stashed in a box in his office. I am pretty sure we will grow old together. I have images in my mind that we will be like Katherine Hepburn and Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond. I will be the old woman that keeps things going and he will be the cranky "Old Poop" that exasperates the He** out of me!

Ah well, pancakes on the griddle. Have to go and begin "the feed". Baby Levi still asleep. He must have been up all night.
  • grandmallie
    Options
    KJL~ that is one of my favorite movies!!! yea I think we will too, not all marriages are romance and fairy tales
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pip - what beautiful dogs! I love labs and retrievers!

My Charlie is a double doodle - mum a goldie x poodle, dad a lab x poodle. She looks like a black retriever, poodle brain and lab tendencies to raid bins! Chloe is a chocolate smoothie doodle. Mum and dad both first cross chocolate doodles - she has a lab coat and a poodle frame. Both are fab dogs - both achieved their gold awards and both work in our Display Team.96d187shmgr1.jpg

Maryann in UK
  • Foggiblu
    Foggiblu Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm fairly new to the community. I hope to find a supportive group that will help my future weight loss journey. Unfortunately it seems to be a weight gain journey. Anyway next month I am starting a weight loss plan called Naturally Slim privided by my insurance company. Has anyone tried this program? Well my goal for September is to stay on the boards and soak in all the information and really get started in October. If i lose a couple of pounds fir the rest of September, that's good too.

Hope to get to know y'all. Not sure if joined this group, but I want too.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    MA_B wrote: »
    Pip - what beautiful dogs! I love labs and retrievers!

My Charlie is a double doodle - mum a goldie x poodle, dad a lab x poodle. She looks like a black retriever, poodle brain and lab tendencies to raid bins! Chloe is a chocolate smoothie doodle. Mum and dad both first cross chocolate doodles - she has a lab coat and a poodle frame. Both are fab dogs - both achieved their gold awards and both work in our Display Team.96d187shmgr1.jpg

Maryann in UK

Awwwwww