September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    9/24 11.0 miles

Last long run of the training for my goal half marathon done! Today's run felt SO much better than last week's "trial" half marathon race that I know believe again that I can do this. The weather was pretty perfect. I ran with my good friend who will be doing the half with me and we chatted the whole time which made it much more enjoyable. I started out feeling rather stiff but after warming up felt good. Unfortunately my friend started having some knee/leg pain and had to walk for some of it. I went out ahead and then circled back for her and she was running again. She had been feeling pretty optimistic about the half, and now she is a bit disillusioned I think. I hope she'll feel better and be able to run the race comfortably. Neither of us in trying to be fast, but I would like to do better than my trial race, and it should be doable based on how I felt today.

And the taper is officially on! Only easy base runs on the schedule for this next week. I'm really looking forward to cutting back. I think my body and spirits could use the rest so I can be fresh in two weeks. I got tickets for a food/beer festival that happens 4 days before my race - carb loading!!!!

Sending out good vibes to our racers today! Good luck @MNLittleFinn and @KatieJane83 and anyone I missed who is racing today or tomorrow.

Great runs @9voice9 and @kristinegift - way to go!!! I vote for both cheeseburger and pizza.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @ MNLittleFinn and KatieJane83 I know you will run great today:-) Good luck and more importantly, have fun!!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Good luck @KatieJane83 and @MNLittleFinn .
    Great pic and progress @Orphia .
    @kristinegift being that you're in NJ, my vote is for pizza, as long as it is real NJ pizza.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    @Orphia what amazing progress. Such inspiration! Glad you shared the pix
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for September
    9/1 9 miles - 9
    9/2 5 miles - 14
    9/3 18 miles - 32
    9/4 REST DAY
    9/5 10.5 miles - 42.5
    9/6 9 miles - 51.5
    9/7 6.2 miles - 57.7
    9/8 10 miles - 67.7
    9/8 6.2 miles - 73.9 << Daily Double
    9/9 6.2 miles - 80.1
    9/10 18 miles - 98.1
    9/11 REST DAY
    9/12 8 miles - 106.1
    9/12 5 miles - 111.1 << Daily Double
    9/13 9 miles - 120.1
    9/13 4 miles - 124.1 << Daily Double
    9/14 5 miles - 129.1
    9/15 9.6 miles - 138.7
    9/15 5 miles - 143.7 << Daily Double (Fleet Feet Fun Run)
    9/16 5 miles - 148.7
    9/17 20 miles. - 168.7
    9/18 REST DAY
    9/19 9 miles - 177.7
    9/20 8 miles - 185.7
    9/21 REST DAY
    9/22 9 miles - 194.7
    9/23 4 miles - 198.7
    9/24 13.1 miles - 211.8

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10
  • katharmonic
    Options
    Wow @jodilynnsanders5104! That is seriously impressive as a first race and a first 10k! Or any 10K. I can't believe you just started in August. Excellent job, you should be very proud.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Ditto what katharmonic said. @jodilynnsanders5104 you are amazing! Congratulations!

Sep 1 - 2.98 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 2 - 2.1 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 3 - 2.13 miles (recovery)
    Sep 4 - 11.67 miles (long)
    Sep 5 - rest
    Sep 6 - 3.39 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 7 - 2.65 miles (long intervals)
    Sep 8 - 6 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 9 - 2.84 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 10 - 4.01 miles (recovery)
    Sep 11 - 9.94 miles (w/u, alternating miles by pace goal/heart rate, last mile fast finish)
    Sep 12 - rest
    Sep 13 - 5 miles (2 middle miles @ tempo pace)
    Sep 14 - 2.56 miles (recovery)
    Sep 15 - 6 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 16 - rest
    Sep 17 - 4.01 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 18 - 12 miles (w/u, 11 x .25 mile zone 3 + .75 mile zone 2, c/d)
    Sep 19 - rest
    Sep 20 - 5.07 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 21 - rest
    Sep 22 - 7.09 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 23 - 3.43 miles (long intervals)
    Sep 24 - 4 miles (recovery)

Total: 96.87 / 100 miles
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    9/01 ..... 3.2
    9/02 ........... Rest
    9/03 ..... 3.3
    9/04 ........... Rest
    9/05 ........... Hiked 6 miles
    9/06 ........... Walked 6 miles with a friend
    9/07 ..... 2.3 Easy run then walked, DOMS was a little much to ignore
    9/08 ........... Rest
    9/09 ........... Rest
    9/10 ..... 3.2 With DD. She walked a little more than last time but I am still happy with what she put in.
    9/11 ..... 5.0 With DH. I was a little surprised with the pace: felt easy at ~10:30 min/mile, it was usually 11-12 for me
    9/12 ........... Rest
    9/13 ..... 3.1 With DH again. It was later at night and we wanted to get it done. We ended up running more like a tempo speed. I threw in a fast (for me) finish thinking, I probably wouldn't be able to run fast for next few weeks after the blood donation...
    9/14 ........... Rest - donated blood today. Will focus on having more iron rich food and hope the run tomorrow would not be too much of a suffering...
    9/15 ..... 3.1 Ran too fast in the beginning. I need to work on slowing down again...
    9/16 ........... Rest from running. Did some bodyweight strength training again, finally :sweat_smile:
    9/17 ..... 3.3 Family/Group run
    9/18 ..... 2.4 Wanted to run 5~6 miles but my legs (mostly left leg) felt really tight which I assumed was from the strength training on Friday and possibly a lot of standing the day before. Half way through, DH wanted to stop and I gladly agreed...
    9/19 ........... Rest
    9/20 ........... Walked 5 miles
    9/21 ........... Rest
    9/22 ..... 3.2
    9/23 ........... Rest
    9/24 ..... 3.3 Family/Group Run

Total Miles: 35.3

A small group today. One of the new-to-our-group friend said she had to stop running for months earlier this year due to hip pain. Her PT said it was due to her weak core. Made me think that I really should focus on strength train more and be patience with increasing mileage. Having said that, I think the 6-mile "long run" tomorrow should still be okay :)

Another note, I start to really enjoy running with my 7-year-old. It used to feel like a drag, even during the time she actually ran... because 1. she was so slow (not blaming her, she was even smaller then and she definitely put a lot more effort than us for the same distance) 2. she is such a chatty box. I thought 1. I could have run faster without her and really trained at my speed and 2. she could have run much faster if only she would stop talking. But now that I am on here much more and learned the benefits of slow running, I start to appreciate the slow running and the conversations. It is also comforting to know that her natural preference to carry a conversation while running is actually good for her.

exercise.png

• jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    @katharmonic and @RunRachelleRun thank you for the kind words!
  • ereck44
    Options
    I just started running the beginning of August so this is all new to me. I've been running about four days a week. As a newbie I haven't been running far so set my initial monthly mileage goal at 40k for the month. I had to up the goal to 80k, and have already surpassed that.

exercise.png

Ran my first 10k race (actually my first chip time race ever, at any distance) this morning. I had 3 goals:

1. Run up the big hill near the end without stopping (big hill, for me, in the last km)
    2. Run the whole 10k without having to walk
    3. Run negative split, because I usually start faster than I should and run out of steam.

I accomplished all 3 goals, and ran the race in 1:05:23. I get to count this as a PB since it was my first race.

Here's me with my victory pose, and all the race bling that was part of the race kit. Oh, and I have officially registered for a HM in my area in early November. Oh god it feels real now!!!

ybp3vdioxu1g.jpeg
    hu2a7nq5pa4r.png

Great job, and especially on accomplishing your goals! Great time, too! I don't think I can run a 10K that fast, and I have been running a couple of years now.
  • ereck44
    Options
    Ran 3 miles yesterday. We had family visiting from Chicago and just got a quick run in. New running shoes were purchased...Nimbus Asics...I love the feel and support, but not the price. Going to test run them tomorrow.
  • untermrad
    untermrad Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tried running a few different routes outside since the half-mile circumference park I run around gets a little repetitive. I haven't yet completed a single 90-minute long run this month, which is concerning since I have an upcoming HM. I'll try tomorrow, if I can beat the heat (RealFeel today was 90 F).

9/1 6.3 miles
    9/3 6.2 miles, split into two equal runs as I started out way too fast.
    9/4 6.3 miles
    9/6 6.2 miles (treadmill)
    9/8 4.8 miles fartlek run on treadmill, felt sick after completing speed portions and had to stop.
    9/9 6.4 miles easy run
    9/10 3.1 miles (Pure Tap 5k)
    9/11 6.5 miles
    9/13 6.3 miles
    9/15 6.3 miles
    9/17 6.3 miles
    9/18 4.4 miles
    9/19 6.8 miles
    9/20 6.3 miles
    9/23 6.5 miles
    9/24 6.3 miles
    exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    9/10 - Louisville Pure Tap 5k 25:03
    10/1 - Norton Sports Health Great Pumpkin 10k
    10/22 - Urban Bourbon Half Marathon
    11/24 - Hungry Turkey 5k

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was actually thinking about just that @5512bf

Of Then my wife reminded me about something another runner asked me about today and, course I'm a half-crazed Finn and started thinking about just entering the Lottery for the half that's on our Anniversary, so I can get some more practice in in, and because....I'm crazy, and this Looks like it might be fun to do next year...

.....Race the 5k, and maybbe the TC 10 mile, and just run the others for the Swag....Only sticky point is that the RWB HM is only 2 and a half weeks after the other half 6/17 and 7/4)....Kind of tempted though, just run both as long training runs at an easy pace (like 10:30/mile or so) and use next year as a building year.

The Hot Dash 10 mile is in March, and the TC 10 mile(signing up will bypass the lottery) is in October so the races are fairly well spread so... other than having to think really hard about ditching the HM in June, which I really don't want to do, since it's not often a spouse gives the go ahead to run a race on your wedding anniversary....LOL...I hate the fact that running makes me think about more running..... There's also a MNy (ugh puns) Version with a 5k instead of the Hotdash 10 mile......

Someone I talked today at the Half Mentioned the Summit Challenge, and it looked pretty cool.....Other runners are not good for my ability to control looking at other races....LOL, I'll probably
  • katharmonic
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn congratulations on your half today! Sorry it wasn't quite the performance you hoped for, but you did a great job improving your time. Isn't it fairly likely that your Garmin/GPS could be off rather than the official race distance? If it's a USATF certified course I would think the error is on the side of the gadget.

Take some much-deserved rest and load up on food! Enjoy!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Check your Strava. It's likely pulled other runners that also ran it, you can look at their distance.

Edit.. aw I'm not seeing that any other Runner are on Strava for that race...

Ya, I'd wait on that full. But thats just me..
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @katharmonic a Friend who works for the FAA just laughed at me and said that my watch, not the course was off.....he knows a thing or two about navigation and GPS
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn Check your Strava. It's likely pulled other runners that also ran it, you can look at their distance.

Edit.. aw I'm not seeing that any other Runner are on Strava for that race...

Ya, I'd wait on that full. But thats just me..

Yeah, I saw nobody else from the race, which really surprised.

The smart side of me is saying to wait on the full too.... I have about a week to decide. October 1, I'll either enter the drawing for the half or let myself be insane with the full.... from what a guy i was running with today told me, first time entrants are almost guaranteed to get in the HM...and my wife said I could run a race that weekend, and it's our 10th anniversary.