September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful. Congratulations @KatieJane83 !!! You look great!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Great 1st HM @KatieJane83 !! What beautiful scenery!! Wow! Of course, you are rocking the shiny blanket...thanks for sharing the pics.

I have my 1st HM this upcoming weekend!! Mine is supposed to have abour 550 in elevation gain so I'm a bit nervous about the hills. The worst ones are in the 1st half thank goodness. Living in Texas doesn't offer a lot of hill climbing opportunities. ;)

Well done...you should be proud!! :smiley:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow, @kristinegift that is super impressive weekly mileage!

This is my highest week to date: 31.59 miles as per Garmin or 31.5 per Strava :/

@RunRachelleRun Thanks! But why the :/ ? 31.5 is still pretty high up there, especially in HM training. You're putting in great miles! Turn that :/ into a :) !

@KatieJane83 Congrats on a spectacular 1st HM! No walk breaks is seriously impressive. I didn't manage that until my 10th or 11th one (I've done 13 from 2008 til now). Your splits are also really consistent; I can tell where the hills were, but even with them, such good pacing! Well done! Also that looks like a gorgeous place to race!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Great 1st HM @KatieJane83 !! What beautiful scenery!! Wow! Of course, you are rocking the shiny blanket...thanks for sharing the pics.

I have my 1st HM this upcoming weekend!! Mine is supposed to have abour 550 in elevation gain so I'm a bit nervous about the hills. The worst ones are in the 1st half thank goodness. Living in Texas doesn't offer a lot of hill climbing opportunities. ;)

Well done...you should be proud!! :smiley:

You're gonna rock it! You've done the training! The worst of the rolling hills on my course were in the 2nd half, as you can see in the graph, and I definitely was not happy to see them, lol. Just make sure you pace yourself smartly in the first half, especially with the hills, so you don't burn yourself out.

And a note on the shiny blanket: it was definitely not warm enough to jump in the lake like those crazy people behind me! It felt good to have that blanket on, and I don't know how those crazies did that! Lol
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @ kristinegift Sorry! I only meant Strava was ripping me off when it transfers over. I somehow lost .9 of a mile from its math. I am very happy!
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @RunRachelleRun Most likely, Strava was just rounding it down for the display in each run but keeping the digits internally for total mileage. I think it was last month, I found that my total mileage on Strava for the month was larger than just adding each individual run's mileage. And I think a few of the runners here has confirmed that though Strava seems to just dropped the 2nd decimal place but the total for the month seems to match with their Garmin data....

Oh, how I wish I have one of those watches :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Great job @KatieJane83 !
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Does anyone here wear shoes with GoreTex uppers for running in wet or slushy conditions? I'm considering getting a pair of Saucony Ride GTX for this winter when I'm running in slush. Looking for any feedback on if the GoreTex upper is useful.
    @7lenny7 I have the "Saucony Xodus 6 GTX"; with GoreTex upper. And I have to say, I'm not terribly impressed. When its raining, I haven't been bothered by the falling rain in either these shoes or any of my other running shoes. Usually, when I get soaked feet, it it because I had to run through a puddle (or didn't jump far enough when I tried to cross little rivers ;) ), and aparently, when you put your foot ankle-deep in water, a GoreTex upper can't work miracles (and in that case, helps keeping the water in the shoe for the rest of the run). I think so far the only occasion where I had the impression that the waterproof upper layer actually was an improvement compared to normal running shoes was running through high wet grass, there they actually kept my feet dry a while longer. In general though, my current approach is to wear regular shoes and combine them with socks containing merino wool when it rains; those socks are much better to run in when wet than anything with a too-high cotton content.
    If you are getting the Saucony Ride anyway, picking the GTX version surely won't hurt. If you are only buying them for the GoreTex, I'm not 100% convinced. On the other hand, some people I talked to are really happy with their waterproof shoes, and others think they are a waste of money; you might just have to give it a try to find out into which group of runners you belong in that regard.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui and @7lenny7 Love the puppies & rainbow pictures, how sweet <3

@Orphia Congratulations on your running anniversary! I can't believe you've only been into running for a year, with all the park runs and half marathons you've been doing. Amazing, you can be really proud of what you've accomplished in that year!

@juliet3455 Sounds like a nice adventure trail - "deliciously insane" must have been great fun :p

@jodilynnsanders5104 Congratulations on meeting all your goals in the 10k race, well done!

@mom3over40 I think it's great that you do family runs, and that everyone seems to enjoy them. Good point on the strength training - I've been letting that slack recently; I REALLY should try to be more consistant. Maybe we should introduce a strength training for runners ticker as well :)

@MNLittleFinn That's really frustrating when a race course is too short! But you still ran a great race; I bet without that strong headwind you would have reached your 2:00 goal.

@KatieJane83 Congratulations on running your first half marathon, and in such an awesome time too! I love the pictures, especially the space blanket one :)

@ceciliaslater Sounds like you recovered completely, 8.25 miles is a great distance! I have never managed to open a gel packet while running; I always need to walk; but since I'm fighting so hard agains that stupid plastic packaging, I wouldn't actually count that as a walking "break" ;)

---

Not much running for me this weekend (or the entire week, even); Thursday I hurried to the airport directly from work; to visit my family for a long weekend. We went for nice walks every day (beautiful autumn weather the entire time), but I only briefly snuck away twice for a run (5.1km yesterday, 11.4km today). So no long run this week. I should get home around 8pm tomorrow; I'll have to see if I still have the energy for a long run then to make up for the missed long run today...

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Awesome job @KatieJane83!!! You killed it! I had been warned away from that race as too hilly (and some other reason I can't recall now). Glad you enjoyed it. It's so beautiful there. I am seriously impressed by your performance.

9/25 2.19 miles - slowly

Yesterday's 11 miles felt pretty good, and then today's 2 miles felt kind of terrible. I need to warm up my muscles more these days I think as they are pretty tired. Hopefully now that it's all easy runs and rest for tapering over the next two weeks they will recover.

21.4 miles for the week - should have been higher as it was my last training week, but I needed some rest after my "test" HM last weekend.

87.2 miles for the month - goal is 90 so I should reach that easily with my easy base runs over the next few days.

I know a lot of people talk about going crazy not being able to run much during a taper. I'm seriously looking forward to it. I feel TIRED. Hoping it will perk me up and I'll feel fresh for Oct 9.
  • jodilynnsanders5104
    Options
    @KatieJane83 awesome job! I'm inspired by these HM stories.

@BeeerRunner good luck on your upcoming HM .
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Great job @KatieJane83 !

Right back atcha @MNLittleFinn! And bummer about the wind and the short-handed miles, but I am so impressed by your time! Very inspiring!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hit my running goal of 60 miles yesterday with a 4-mile run in my mom's neighborhood. Hit my total goal of 110 miles walking and running with a 10-mile walk in 85 degree heat. WHY IS IT STILL 85 DEGREES?!?

Anyway, any additional miles this month are gravy. Hooray.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I'm like 2 miles short of my goal.....Looks like I'll be reaching my goal right at the very end of the month....taking at least another day off, though Wednesday is a more probable return to running.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Day 7 of No Running.

Today I volunteered at a 5K cross country race my club was hosting. Acted as a trail marshal (no roads on the route), put down cones to more clearly mark an intersection, and picked up cones and some flags afterward. It was fun, it was beautiful weather, I got to talk to a lot of runners who uniformly told me to keep resting, and the only bad thing was that I still can't run any distance.

I did get to talk to my team captain, and canceled my entry to the Syracuse Festival of Races/USATF National Masters 5K Road Championship. That's in a week, and it's not likely I'll be in shape to pound out a 5K hard by then. Sigh. Also made the call that I won't do the USATF National Masters 15K Championship in Tulsa, because it's not clear I'll be able to run it and I need too much lead time for travel planning.

Perfect running weather today, and I can't run. Sigh.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Perfect running weather today, and I can't run. Sigh.

@MobyCarp Those be the saddest words a runner can utter. But good for you for 1) still checking in on the boards and 2) volunteering for a local running event. You're staying involved, which is great! When I've been injured or in a slump, I isolate from my running communities. Your approach is much healthier :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Ohhim awesome job!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim awesome job!

Thanks! Just caught up on your posts. Definitely wasn't in sub-2 HM shape when I did my first marathon. Winter training w. treadmill seems feasible, and I'd chalk up the distance gap at your race to your garmin. Great race regardless, racing 4 hours vs. 2 isn't as fun, but if you want to give it a shot, I wouldn't hesitate on any sort of physiological grounds.