Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

Replies

• Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    No.. But you should watch a documentary called Forks Over Knives. It goes into great detail about obesity and fast food... It's all the chemicals they put into the food that makes me disgusted. At McDonalds in other countries such as in France they use chemicals but fewer than American McDonalds.. It's the chemicals in the food that make people addicted.. Personally I got sick the last time I ate at McDonalds.. Which is something that happens when you eat healthy and detox for a few months..

I'd say eat the homemade salad over the McChicken any day of the week. At least you know what's in your food.

At the end of the day it's all about choices.. If anyone is going to eat food at McDonalds, then order a small fry and burger but maybe drink water instead of soda..

I never once blamed Fast Food places for me becoming technically obese but I also don't let them off the hook either... If anything I blamed my Significant Other and people around me for taking me to eat at these places and watching me grow to a size that is unsafe and unattractive... I had to take a look in the mirror and realize that if I wanted to be healthy I had to do it on my own accord and when I was ready. Becoming ready to change though was a process that didn't happen overnight , it took months.

I def wouldn't eat McDonald's for lunch in the middle of the day if that's what your saying... well..... not a Hamburger or sandwich anyway

maybe nuggets mmm
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    edited September 2016
    I don't have a problem with fast food, in fact I need those chains around so I can grab something quick when I need to. Eating more calories than the calories that are spent is the problem, but of course a lot of things feeds into that like stress. Also, I've noticed that some people don't have an actually "break" or "lunch time" in their day, so they eat throughout the day. Social gatherings can cause people to eat more too. Some people eat the most at dinnertime: pigging out after a long day of work----I have done it before :open_mouth:
    My family and I only eat fast food when we have to. My parents are overweight but they are overweight due to eating too much homemade food. And on top of that, my mother works night shift so her body is pretty jacked up.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    No.. But you should watch a documentary called Forks Over Knives. It goes into great detail about obesity and fast food... It's all the chemicals they put into the food that makes me disgusted. At McDonalds in other countries such as in France they use chemicals but fewer than American McDonalds.. It's the chemicals in the food that make people addicted.. Personally I got sick the last time I ate at McDonalds.. Which is something that happens when you eat healthy and detox for a few months..

I'd say eat the homemade salad over the McChicken any day of the week. At least you know what's in your food.

At the end of the day it's all about choices.. If anyone is going to eat food at McDonalds, then order a small fry and burger but maybe drink water instead of soda..

I never once blamed Fast Food places for me becoming technically obese but I also don't let them off the hook either... If anything I blamed my Significant Other and people around me for taking me to eat at these places and watching me grow to a size that is unsafe and unattractive... I had to take a look in the mirror and realize that if I wanted to be healthy I had to do it on my own accord and when I was ready. Becoming ready to change though was a process that didn't happen overnight , it took months.

Forks over Knives is a bunch of propaganda doodoo.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I'm betting if they served an Egg Mcmuffin at breakfast (300 calories), a double cheeseburger for lunch (450 calories), and a quarter pounder for dinner (540 calories) in state prisons, they probably wouldn't weigh more than they do now.
    When food portion is controlled, weight stays steady regardless of source.

Prisons are an interesting point of discussion for this topic. The food served in prisons is "institutional food" (i.e. low-priced products bought in large quantities and prepared in bulk). Lots of highly processed foods, hardly what one would call "clean eating" by whatever standard. They're usually also allowed to purchase candy bars, potato chips, etc. from the prison commissary. Yet inmates rarely come out of prison in worse health and/or physical shape than they were when they went in. I've seen many cons who went into the joint in terrible physical condition (either obese, or skinnyfat from being strung out on drugs) and when you ran into them on the streets a year or two later after they'd come out of prison, they were yoked and lean as hell.

Of course there are some concomitant causative factors - they have plenty of time to exercise and are (mostly) not doing drugs and drinking alcohol while they're in prison - but the fact remains that many of them get into amazing shape/health despite a far less than optimal diet.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    pdm3547 wrote: »

On the blame list is McDonalds, your SO and your friends.

At some point, do you think you were partly culpable?

Depends if force feeding is involved or not
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member

It's understandable.
    Circumstances, social life, environmental factors all play part in our choices.

It seems like most people here just do not have a life.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Ohh this could go on and on. Basically both camps have some degree of truth in them. If it was just down to CICO then the argument holds its the consumer that's to blame, but its so much more than that. Look at the money spent by big fast food companies on advertising, lobbying and promotions, there really isn't the same level fruit, vegetables and non fast food type food. So we need education, but even that is influenced by McD's Coca Cola - take your pick; get 'em early right enough eh? So are big companies totally to blame for the rise in obesity? Not entirely but they shoulder a lot of the blame by their promotion tactics and political lobbying.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    gothomson wrote: »
    Ohh this could go on and on. Basically both camps have some degree of truth in them. If it was just down to CICO then the argument holds its the consumer that's to blame, but its so much more than that. Look at the money spent by big fast food companies on advertising, lobbying and promotions, there really isn't the same level fruit, vegetables and non fast food type food. So we need education, but even that is influenced by McD's Coca Cola - take your pick; get 'em early right enough eh? So are big companies totally to blame for the rise in obesity? Not entirely but they shoulder a lot of the blame by their promotion tactics and political lobbying.
    Jakep2323 wrote: »

I'm not arguing and I see what you are saying, but it is a bit basic. Some people are weak willed and advertising must work or they wouldn't spend millions doing it. If you are getting hit with advertising for certain foods here, there and everywhere it will make you crave it a bit and then yeah, it is down to the person but these large food companies do know how to suck people in

Apparently it doesn't work all that well anymore.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnewman/2015/04/28/research-shows-millennials-dont-respond-to-ads/#56c46405599e
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    selina884 wrote: »

It's understandable.

Of course life happens but at which point do we take control. I wasn't going to be the one they airlift from the window to get out my house

Agreed wholeheartedly.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    selina884 wrote: »

It's understandable.

As an adult, the only factor is what and how much YOU choose to put in YOUR mouth. Unless the circumstances involve a health issue or a true lack of money they are just excuses.