Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

13468916

Replies

  • EricaH7
    EricaH7 Posts: 74 Member
    I would LOVE to see restaurants and fast food chains be required to have calories listed just like they are now requiring for food products. It would be so helpful to the average person who does not track calories to see, wow if I eat this meal I have already consumed 1,000 calories. Wishful thinking, I know.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,647 Member
    EricaH7 wrote: »
    I would LOVE to see restaurants and fast food chains be required to have calories listed just like they are now requiring for food products. It would be so helpful to the average person who does not track calories to see, wow if I eat this meal I have already consumed 1,000 calories. Wishful thinking, I know.

    They have that here in NYC by law for a certain number of chains.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,582 Member
    EricaH7 wrote: »
    I would LOVE to see restaurants and fast food chains be required to have calories listed just like they are now requiring for food products. It would be so helpful to the average person who does not track calories to see, wow if I eat this meal I have already consumed 1,000 calories. Wishful thinking, I know.

    They have that here in NYC by law for a certain number of chains.

    Same in Canada.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    EricaH7 wrote: »
    I would LOVE to see restaurants and fast food chains be required to have calories listed just like they are now requiring for food products. It would be so helpful to the average person who does not track calories to see, wow if I eat this meal I have already consumed 1,000 calories. Wishful thinking, I know.

    They are (for chains above a certain number, which would include all fast food places). The law goes into effect in 2017, I think.

    Around here (Chicago) it's a rare exception for a fast food or quick serve/chain place not to have calories available. Most of the ones that make it available online also have them posted (I noticed that Native Foods does not, and doesn't even make calories available online). It's been that way for a while. I think people who don't want to pay attention still don't, though, but I still like it. I take advantage when I get lunch from Pret or Protein Bar or Potbelly's (local chain) or the like.
  • xaryo
    xaryo Posts: 104 Member
    If you so desperatly need to eat Mc Do, go for a Happy meal and thake the milk and apple.

    Not too bad for fastfood
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    No.. But you should watch a documentary called Forks Over Knives. It goes into great detail about obesity and fast food... It's all the chemicals they put into the food that makes me disgusted. At McDonalds in other countries such as in France they use chemicals but fewer than American McDonalds.. It's the chemicals in the food that make people addicted.. Personally I got sick the last time I ate at McDonalds.. Which is something that happens when you eat healthy and detox for a few months..

    I'd say eat the homemade salad over the McChicken any day of the week. At least you know what's in your food.

    At the end of the day it's all about choices.. If anyone is going to eat food at McDonalds, then order a small fry and burger but maybe drink water instead of soda..

    I never once blamed Fast Food places for me becoming technically obese but I also don't let them off the hook either... If anything I blamed my Significant Other and people around me for taking me to eat at these places and watching me grow to a size that is unsafe and unattractive... I had to take a look in the mirror and realize that if I wanted to be healthy I had to do it on my own accord and when I was ready. Becoming ready to change though was a process that didn't happen overnight , it took months.

    Forks over Knives is a bunch of propaganda doodoo.

    Intelligent argument

    Prove me wrong?
    And yeah, simply calling it "doodoo" is indeed a more intelligent argument than claiming McD's uses addictive chemicals which can be overcome by detoxing.

    Well you've got me on the detox bit, I don't believe in the detox, I'm old enough to know the truth ;) . I am curious as I liked Forks n Knives and before I have raised Forks Over Knives, Food Inc, Supersize me and Cowspiracy on these forums before and was advised that all those docs are biased? Would you agree mate?

    All documentaries of that sort are biased and the makers of those documentaries will freely admit that their purpose is to make a point and perhaps convince people to eat a certain way vs. others. That's what people mean when they say you should take into account bias and not just accept things that are one-sided as if there weren't other sides.

    I've mentioned a podcast I sometimes enjoy, Bearded Vegans, and one reason I like them (and their occasional discussions of these kinds of docs) is that they admit that they are interested in figuring out the best ways to convince others. They don't pretend to be unbiased.

    Even in reading a history book or of course watching/reading any media I'd hope that one would understand the particular bias or POV the author is taking and read it with that as a lens. From discussions on the internet, I am not so optimistic about this as I was once.

    Anyway, I don't really recall McD's being a thing in FOK, but it's been a while since I watched it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    No.. But you should watch a documentary called Forks Over Knives. It goes into great detail about obesity and fast food... It's all the chemicals they put into the food that makes me disgusted. At McDonalds in other countries such as in France they use chemicals but fewer than American McDonalds.. It's the chemicals in the food that make people addicted.. Personally I got sick the last time I ate at McDonalds.. Which is something that happens when you eat healthy and detox for a few months..

    I'd say eat the homemade salad over the McChicken any day of the week. At least you know what's in your food.

    At the end of the day it's all about choices.. If anyone is going to eat food at McDonalds, then order a small fry and burger but maybe drink water instead of soda..

    I never once blamed Fast Food places for me becoming technically obese but I also don't let them off the hook either... If anything I blamed my Significant Other and people around me for taking me to eat at these places and watching me grow to a size that is unsafe and unattractive... I had to take a look in the mirror and realize that if I wanted to be healthy I had to do it on my own accord and when I was ready. Becoming ready to change though was a process that didn't happen overnight , it took months.

    Forks over Knives is a bunch of propaganda doodoo.

    Intelligent argument

    Prove me wrong?
    And yeah, simply calling it "doodoo" is indeed a more intelligent argument than claiming McD's uses addictive chemicals which can be overcome by detoxing.

    Well you've got me on the detox bit, I don't believe in the detox, I'm old enough to know the truth ;) . I am curious as I liked Forks n Knives and before I have raised Forks Over Knives, Food Inc, Supersize me and Cowspiracy on these forums before and was advised that all those docs are biased? Would you agree mate?

    All documentaries of that sort are biased and the makers of those documentaries will freely admit that their purpose is to make a point and perhaps convince people to eat a certain way vs. others. That's what people mean when they say you should take into account bias and not just accept things that are one-sided as if there weren't other sides.

    I've mentioned a podcast I sometimes enjoy, Bearded Vegans, and one reason I like them (and their occasional discussions of these kinds of docs) is that they admit that they are interested in figuring out the best ways to convince others. They don't pretend to be unbiased.

    Even in reading a history book or of course watching/reading any media I'd hope that one would understand the particular bias or POV the author is taking and read it with that as a lens. From discussions on the internet, I am not so optimistic about this as I was once.

    Anyway, I don't really recall McD's being a thing in FOK, but it's been a while since I watched it.

    The problem for us as well as you have mentioned is the communication. It is interesting to talk to Americans about these issues. For us in the UK we are advised by the media that the US has an obesity issue and we will end up the same if we don't watch what we eat. They have targeted saturated fats, salt, saturates and have food labels everywhere advising about these "dangers". We then also switch on Netflix and see US having pizza hut in schools, fast food advertising everywhere and we start to build this picture that fast food is "bad" for us. I get it must be frustrating for Americans when I make these points but I am just explaining where my views have come.

    Of course when I say US has an obesity issue it gets challenged, if I say 'fast food' it gets queried what I'm referring to. I had a KFC at the weekend and I don't see anything wrong with these kind of foods every once in a while. It is just different cultures I guess, there is a big push here in the UK to get healthy and read food labels and know what you are eating. When I have raised salt to people on here they have rubbished it saying 'if you don't have high blood pressure, what's the problem'....

    I like to look at a range of sources and even being on here and hearing what peoples thoughts are is interesting. McDonalds was more in Supersize me and Food Inc. Forks over Knives was more looking at plant based diets drastically reducing your blood cholesterol level. As I will be veggie all next month I will be able to see if that is true ;)

    Interesting to hear that UK media is using US and our eating habits and obesity as a scare tactic for British citizens. Do you have any links to these actual campaigns, where they have said if you don't change your ways you'll end up like us poor unfortunate slobs? I'd love to see, from a marketing perspective, how they manage to pull that off.

    As others have said, any of those documentaries you've mentioned are biased. Forks Over Knives, Supersize Me, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, That Sugar Film, etc. That is why when you mention these as sources, or propaganda based ad campaigns - people challenge you for actual scientific studies from peer reviewed sources. The documentaries are all pushing an agenda, and you're right, they are believable for sure. They put just enough actual science in them (some accurate, some exaggerated or misrepresented) and then appeal to all kinds of emotional logical fallacies to make the average citizen believe the way they are representing the information. It's not that there is nothing factual in them, it is that it is so slanted to represent their bias, it is hard to sort through the actual science from the appeal to emotion.

    You also repeatedly refer to warnings and labels in the UK - all the information you've described about calories, fat, sodium, etc are also on US food labels as well. Again, I would be interested in seeing a picture or an example of a food label that you feel is so prominently featuring this information. There are guidelines put forth by different agencies as well, warning about over consumption. This is not something that is exclusive to the UK, but for some reason you seem to think that we are all a bunch of cavalier junk food eaters who have no regard for our overall health and nutrition. Is that because of the ad campaigns you mentioned above?

    Thanks a lot. I'm now picturing a lot of the UK health campaigns using this:
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,456 Member
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    No.. But you should watch a documentary called Forks Over Knives. It goes into great detail about obesity and fast food... It's all the chemicals they put into the food that makes me disgusted. At McDonalds in other countries such as in France they use chemicals but fewer than American McDonalds.. It's the chemicals in the food that make people addicted.. Personally I got sick the last time I ate at McDonalds.. Which is something that happens when you eat healthy and detox for a few months..

    I'd say eat the homemade salad over the McChicken any day of the week. At least you know what's in your food.

    At the end of the day it's all about choices.. If anyone is going to eat food at McDonalds, then order a small fry and burger but maybe drink water instead of soda..

    I never once blamed Fast Food places for me becoming technically obese but I also don't let them off the hook either... If anything I blamed my Significant Other and people around me for taking me to eat at these places and watching me grow to a size that is unsafe and unattractive... I had to take a look in the mirror and realize that if I wanted to be healthy I had to do it on my own accord and when I was ready. Becoming ready to change though was a process that didn't happen overnight , it took months.

    Forks over Knives is a bunch of propaganda doodoo.

    Intelligent argument

    Prove me wrong?
    And yeah, simply calling it "doodoo" is indeed a more intelligent argument than claiming McD's uses addictive chemicals which can be overcome by detoxing.

    Well you've got me on the detox bit, I don't believe in the detox, I'm old enough to know the truth ;) . I am curious as I liked Forks n Knives and before I have raised Forks Over Knives, Food Inc, Supersize me and Cowspiracy on these forums before and was advised that all those docs are biased? Would you agree mate?

    All documentaries of that sort are biased and the makers of those documentaries will freely admit that their purpose is to make a point and perhaps convince people to eat a certain way vs. others. That's what people mean when they say you should take into account bias and not just accept things that are one-sided as if there weren't other sides.

    I've mentioned a podcast I sometimes enjoy, Bearded Vegans, and one reason I like them (and their occasional discussions of these kinds of docs) is that they admit that they are interested in figuring out the best ways to convince others. They don't pretend to be unbiased.

    Even in reading a history book or of course watching/reading any media I'd hope that one would understand the particular bias or POV the author is taking and read it with that as a lens. From discussions on the internet, I am not so optimistic about this as I was once.

    Anyway, I don't really recall McD's being a thing in FOK, but it's been a while since I watched it.

    The problem for us as well as you have mentioned is the communication. It is interesting to talk to Americans about these issues. For us in the UK we are advised by the media that the US has an obesity issue and we will end up the same if we don't watch what we eat. They have targeted saturated fats, salt, saturates and have food labels everywhere advising about these "dangers". We then also switch on Netflix and see US having pizza hut in schools, fast food advertising everywhere and we start to build this picture that fast food is "bad" for us. I get it must be frustrating for Americans when I make these points but I am just explaining where my views have come.

    Of course when I say US has an obesity issue it gets challenged, if I say 'fast food' it gets queried what I'm referring to. I had a KFC at the weekend and I don't see anything wrong with these kind of foods every once in a while. It is just different cultures I guess, there is a big push here in the UK to get healthy and read food labels and know what you are eating. When I have raised salt to people on here they have rubbished it saying 'if you don't have high blood pressure, what's the problem'....

    I like to look at a range of sources and even being on here and hearing what peoples thoughts are is interesting. McDonalds was more in Supersize me and Food Inc. Forks over Knives was more looking at plant based diets drastically reducing your blood cholesterol level. As I will be veggie all next month I will be able to see if that is true ;)

    Interesting to hear that UK media is using US and our eating habits and obesity as a scare tactic for British citizens. Do you have any links to these actual campaigns, where they have said if you don't change your ways you'll end up like us poor unfortunate slobs? I'd love to see, from a marketing perspective, how they manage to pull that off.

    As others have said, any of those documentaries you've mentioned are biased. Forks Over Knives, Supersize Me, Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, That Sugar Film, etc. That is why when you mention these as sources, or propaganda based ad campaigns - people challenge you for actual scientific studies from peer reviewed sources. The documentaries are all pushing an agenda, and you're right, they are believable for sure. They put just enough actual science in them (some accurate, some exaggerated or misrepresented) and then appeal to all kinds of emotional logical fallacies to make the average citizen believe the way they are representing the information. It's not that there is nothing factual in them, it is that it is so slanted to represent their bias, it is hard to sort through the actual science from the appeal to emotion.

    You also repeatedly refer to warnings and labels in the UK - all the information you've described about calories, fat, sodium, etc are also on US food labels as well. Again, I would be interested in seeing a picture or an example of a food label that you feel is so prominently featuring this information. There are guidelines put forth by different agencies as well, warning about over consumption. This is not something that is exclusive to the UK, but for some reason you seem to think that we are all a bunch of cavalier junk food eaters who have no regard for our overall health and nutrition. Is that because of the ad campaigns you mentioned above?

    You honestly think I will reply to you? You didn't even provide me with that courtesy

    That's unfortunate. I was interested in your response to my question and would like to learn more about the UK campaigns you've described.

    If you are upset I didn't respond to a PM you sent me, sorry. I often don't read them, and I don't usually respond. Most of the time when they come from someone that has been engaging in back and forth discussion/debate/argument in the forums they are either insulting, inappropriate, or insincere. I'm not saying yours was, I just simply didn't see anything in it when I did read it that needed further response.

  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    is this post still about fast food and obesity. getting very personal at the mo
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,647 Member
    is this post still about fast food and obesity. getting very personal at the mo

    Welcome to MFP.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,470 Member
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,582 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.

    The UK doesn't have any morbidly obese people of their own they could've used?

    Apparently no one in the UK ever gets fat according to MFP forums.

    Must've been a big budget mockumentary, then, what with going to the expense of flying those Brits to 'Merica and all. ;)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,470 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.

    The UK doesn't have any morbidly obese people of their own they could've used?

    I'm sorry I don't know, I'm not in the UK. I don't know why they ran their show that way.
    I'm an American myself and it made me feel a little bit ashamed to see that.
    I just happen to have lived in 5 other countries over half of my life.