Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fast food and obesity

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    What kind of crappy salad would I make that would rival a big mac fries and coke??? One with a pound of bacon?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »
    The series Superfat to Superskinny was one. At least I think thats what it was called.
    They took obese UK people over to the US and had them see Americans homhad been obese for years, were undergoing surgery and all the problems like, wheelchairs, special medical teams and beds for the obese etc.
    It did seem to help th UK people get the motivation to lose weight before it got any worse.

I saw one episode of that and definitely thought it came across as people in the US are mostly morbidly obese and that the people shown were representative, when they are not.

But hey, we do that on our reality TV too, we just mostly pick on US subcultures or individuals. I think it's kind of weird to get off on pointing and staring at the (supposed) average American.

(And no, not denying that there's a problem with obesity and overweight in the US, as there obviously is.)

Beyond that I do find it weird that some seem to think that we in the US are never told about healthful eating, or warned about sugar or sat fat or sodium (arguably too much vs. discussion of calories and an overall healthful diet), that we are in the process of pushing pizza hut into the schools (here there's a ton of effort into making lunches and breakfasts more healthful, as they are free and important for poor kids, and stuff like soda machines have been banned from public schools for some time), and so on.

Facts are: people like food, food is really convenient and cheap currently, and we don't move nearly as much as we used to in daily life, on average. Learning to deal with a food environment where food is convenient and cheap (i.e., taking personal responsibility) seems much better than deciding we were better off when food was more expensive and difficult to obtain. I like choice, even if it poses more difficulties sometimes (like I can never seem to decide what to read next!).

And this rant was added on to my post to you, Gamliela, absolutely not directed at you as if you were arguing to the contrary.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    What kind of crappy salad would I make that would rival a big mac fries and coke??? One with a pound of bacon?

Ain't nothing wrong with a pound of bacon - *kitten*, I'd throw out the salad and eat the bacon!! :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'd so much rather have a good salad than a pound of bacon (a little bacon on the salad, sure, maybe).

That good salad may or may not be low cal, though.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

I could make a totally awesome salad that could come close to those calories, and it wouldn't have a pound of bacon. I guess it depends on your idea of what crappy means.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member

The Kaanapali Kobb at Islands is over 1000 calories and it's delicious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    selina884 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    it's a lack of education if anything.

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

No need to apologise but Steff46 summed it up in her way.
    People arent taught about nutrition in schools and it's not emphasised much on TV unless theres some sort of agenda.

I know plenty of people who know absolutely zilch about calories.
    I know people who think weight loss ONLY comes from eating salads and other "natural" foods.

..but countries like America who have a big consumer market dedicated to junk/high calorie food at a low cost, do you blame the poor everyday person for knowing any different?

I mean your national dish is Hamburgers. 'nuff said. (and I think you have a few other national dishes too)

I'd hesitate to call the hamburger the national dish...and I'd also hesitate to call a hamburger "junk food"...a hamburger can be made as healthfully or unhealthfully as you wish...and those things they call burgers at fast food joints aren't burgers...I don't know what they are, but they aren't a hamburger...the lean deliciousness I pull off my grill and throw some grilled onions, lettuce, and tomato on and serve with a couple of pickle spears is a hamburger...
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member

I'm sorry, but does anyone really think eating a couple Big Macs, giant order of fries and a giant Coke at lunch is good for them?

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

Why diet coke as opposed to normal coke?

You are kidding - sugar is a killer
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

'good' or not is a different matter, but eating mcdonalds doesn't make someone obese... eating too many calories does.

Understand, that was why my example was of a 1500 calorie + lunch. A Big Mac side salad (light on dressing) and Diet Coke not so bad. It's how much one eats. And I would be pretty sure most people know the 2 Big Mac lunch in my example is too much.

Um no
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

Nope.
  • Chef_Barbell
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

People arent taught about nutrition in schools and it's not emphasised much on TV unless theres some sort of agenda.

I know people who think weight loss ONLY comes from eating salads and other "natural" foods.

..but countries like America who have a big consumer market dedicated to junk/high calorie food at a low cost, do you blame the poor everyday person for knowing any different?

I mean your national dish is Hamburgers. 'nuff said. (and I think you have a few other national dishes too)

I'd hesitate to call the hamburger the national dish...and I'd also hesitate to call a hamburger "junk food"...a hamburger can be made as healthfully or unhealthfully as you wish...and those things they call burgers at fast food joints aren't burgers...I don't know what they are, but they aren't a hamburger...the lean deliciousness I pull off my grill and throw some grilled onions, lettuce, and tomato on and serve with a couple of pickle spears is a hamburger...

Why aren't they hamburgers?
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    The problem is that you are right CI/CO but unfortunately we live in a world where everything has been supersized! A McDonalds Meal, or KFC for that matter comes in at a lot of calories. The recommended daily average calorie intake for men is 2,500, and for women it's 2,000. This means if I waltz into a McD's for lunch and order a Chicken Legend with medium fries and a milkshake, A man would be consuming 51.4% of his recommended daily calories. For a me, a woman, the percentage would rise to 64.25%. Which means it don't leave a lot for breakfast and dinner.

The least calorific main meal would be six chicken nuggets with no dip (boo!), a garden side salad and a bottle of water or a medium black coffee, which would result in a man consuming 10.4% of his daily intake and a woman chowing down 13% of her recommended daily average. For me, I can think of far more foods that would fill me up and be less calorie dense which means that I am not going to go hungry. chicken nuggets and a garden salad from Maccy D's - who does it!!
  • Chef_Barbell
    The problem is that you are right CI/CO but unfortunately we live in a world where everything has been supersized! A McDonalds Meal, or KFC for that matter comes in at a lot of calories. The recommended daily average calorie intake for men is 2,500, and for women it's 2,000. This means if I waltz into a McD's for lunch and order a Chicken Legend with medium fries and a milkshake, A man would be consuming 51.4% of his recommended daily calories. For a me, a woman, the percentage would rise to 64.25%. Which means it don't leave a lot for breakfast and dinner.

The least calorific main meal would be six chicken nuggets with no dip (boo!), a garden side salad and a bottle of water or a medium black coffee, which would result in a man consuming 10.4% of his daily intake and a woman chowing down 13% of her recommended daily average. For me, I can think of far more foods that would fill me up and be less calorie dense which means that I am not going to go hungry. chicken nuggets and a garden salad from Maccy D's - who does it!!

Everyone has different calorie goals.
  • Chef_Barbell

Why aren't they hamburgers?

Because I'm a food snob...

Ahh.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

You should pay us a visit on New Year's Eve. Some salads have more calories than the main dish. One of the salads: hard cheese, mayo, butter, eggs, garlic. Enough said.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited September 2016

I go once every other week or two. I usually order the cheeseburger (300 cals.) and a large diet coke (negligible) for lunch. Fills me up for hours! Some of my lowest calorie/highest weight loss days have included McDs.

(Down about 95lbs. now since I had heart surgery 3 years ago. Blood markers are excellent. Workouts increasing in intensity and frequency. Still dropping fat.)