I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Now when you say controller bulk, would you advise I go about 200 cals above TDEE?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    siemonbk wrote: »

So here is a question. Any entertaining hints to keep you distracted as you journeyed? To help the year go by. And what was your average weekly loss over the whole period? Wondering how much it will drop as i close in on my goal weight.
    This is actually a really good question. Eventually you reach a point where pretty much everything is locked in. You understand the process, you have your diet and training in place, and you must simply put in the time. There really isn't a way to accelerate the process beyond a certain point. At my heaviest I probably lost weight around 3-4 lbs a week and it slowed to 2, then finally 1 lb a week as I got closer to my goal. While eating in a huge calorie deficit could have made the process quicker there is also the chance that it would have been to difficult to maintain and that I would have gotten off track. I basically try and stay busy. When staying busy also means staying active, it's like a double bonus. Do things you enjoy. I loathe formal cardio but I love hiking. Staying busy around the house and yard was also a good way to pass time and stay active. These days I'm working, in graduate school full time, and I have a 7 month old so busy isn't a problem!

• vismal
    Options
    Now when you say controller bulk, would you advise I go about 200 cals above TDEE?
    To start, yes. You may find that your TDEE rises a bit in a calorie surplus so try and target in a 2lb a month gain in weight. You may find that you need to add calories as the months go.

• StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Lyle McDonald's RFL, or any kind of PSMF plan?
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Congratulations Vismal !!
    You're a dad ! Welcome to a new life of raising a child. It's rewarding.
  • r_rana7
    r_rana7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal,

I've been following ICF since May, on a cut as I am skinny fat. Since September, I have began a bulk, gradually increasing my surplus to 500 above my maintenance and ensuring I hit my macros. I have increased pretty much all my lifts since the bulk began but seem to have hit a plateau over the past 10 days. Since my bulk began, I have gained 2.5kg, presumably muscle.

My question is how long would you suggest I continue ICF for before moving onto an intermediate lifting program? Also, the plateau I have currently hit - should I be concerned? (Or increase my surplus?!)
  • vismal
    Options
    doggerland wrote: »
    Have you ever tried Lyle McDonald's RFL, or any kind of PSMF plan?

No. I've read the book and understand the diet but Lyle himself will tell you how difficult the diet can be. It's safe, the science behind it is sound, and if you can adhere to it, it works. I would struggle greatly with compliance. I think after the first few days I would no longer be able to keep up the steep calorie deficit and I'd either binge or abandon the diet. That's not to say someone else wouldn't be able to have great success with RFL.
  • butcher494
    butcher494 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success you look incredible I'm on a journey myself to get lean I have been in the past but then I met a man and got comfortable relaxed my eating and training slowly iv gained 20lbs!! over 1 year I was always able to eat what I wanted and stay lean however iv been over eating due to meals out ect and drinking more wine than I should with less exercise. I want to ask you, do you think when it comes to fat loss it's calories that matter most? at least untill your below say 20% for a woman? iv got a decent amount of muscle and don't really need to gain any for the past two weeks iv been doing body weight cardio/ plyo with ankle and wrist weights on to make it harder will this help me shed fat? Thanks from Hannah
  • vismal
    Options
    butcher494 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your success you look incredible I'm on a journey myself to get lean I have been in the past but then I met a man and got comfortable relaxed my eating and training slowly iv gained 20lbs!! over 1 year I was always able to eat what I wanted and stay lean however iv been over eating due to meals out ect and drinking more wine than I should with less exercise. I want to ask you, do you think when it comes to fat loss it's calories that matter most? at least untill your below say 20% for a woman? iv got a decent amount of muscle and don't really need to gain any for the past two weeks iv been doing body weight cardio/ plyo with ankle and wrist weights on to make it harder will this help me shed fat? Thanks from Hannah
    Calories matter most no matter what your body fat percentage is. The only way to lose body fat is to consume fewer calories per day then you burn. Paying attention to things like macronutrients and micronutrients are also important but if a calorie deficit is not in place, you simply will not lose fat.

• butcher494
    butcher494 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thankyou
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread. What an opening picture! I have just hit 250 and don't want to keep creeping up to 300+ like you were. Time to reinstall that 5x5 app!! Also congratulations on the new child :)
  • Pa0Le
    Pa0Le Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Vismal, I just found this thread today after coming back to MFP. Firstly congratulations on becoming a dad, I hope the baby and mama are both doing well.

My question to you is, if I'm not planning on joining a gym but would like to do some form of weight based exercise to help prevent loose skin, would it be enough to have and use weights under 8kgs or does the weight being lifted, need to increase in order for it to be more effective?

Also, are exercises like push-ups and sit-ups considered to be muscle or cardio type exercises?
  • themindisitsownplace
    Options
    Oh. Wow. Good for you, man! No questions, just admiration, lol...
  • vismal
    Options
    Pa0Le wrote: »
    Hi Vismal, I just found this thread today after coming back to MFP. Firstly congratulations on becoming a dad, I hope the baby and mama are both doing well.

My question to you is, if I'm not planning on joining a gym but would like to do some form of weight based exercise to help prevent loose skin, would it be enough to have and use weights under 8kgs or does the weight being lifted, need to increase in order for it to be more effective?

Also, are exercises like push-ups and sit-ups considered to be muscle or cardio type exercises?
    Any lifting is better than no lifting though the prevention of loose skin isn't really the reason you should do it. There isn't really any evidence that lifting prevents loose skin. The idea that you will gain enough muscle mass to fill in the areas of the body where fat is no longer present is very much overstated. Muscle is much more dense then fat so even if you could gain as many lbs of muscle as fat you lost (which you cannot) it would not fill the void. Additionally the place most people have loose skin, the abdomen, is not a place where you will add a terribly large amount of muscle mass.

That being said, lifting weights helps maintain muscle mass while in a calorie deficit and this will ultimately yield a more aesthetic physique once the weight has been lost even if it won't do all that much to prevent loose skin. The key to weight lifting is progressive tension overload which means lifting more weight as time goes on. With a limit of 8kgs you'll quickly begin to struggle with this. Again, any lifting is better than no lifting, but it will be far from optimal and will limit the benefit you can hope to achieve. I would strongly encourage you to join a gym.

• craigmc1960
    craigmc1960 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This deserves to be bumped
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    How fast did you lose weight initially? I'm trying to get down to 300. Since Sept 27th I've gone from 318 to 302 this morning. So 16 pounds in a month. Prior to that I didn't have a scale that read over 300, but I figure I was ~330 before I started moving 12 yards of gravel in Sept.
    I'm on the treadmill twice a day for 30 minutes each and trying to eat ~2,000 while focusing on protein. Not eating back excercise but drinking some of it back (I like red wine). Have bought dumbells and bands and will start some strength work this weekend (sorry but not going to a gym at this point).
    I know this can't last at this rate, but is it too much for now? All I read is 1-2 pounds per week, or more if you are obese. Just not what that "more" is.
    I think I've opened my diary if you want to look.
    Thanks.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    How fast did you lose weight initially? I'm trying to get down to 300. Since Sept 27th I've gone from 318 to 302 this morning. So 16 pounds in a month. Prior to that I didn't have a scale that read over 300, but I figure I was ~330 before I started moving 12 yards of gravel in Sept.
    I'm on the treadmill twice a day for 30 minutes each and trying to eat ~2,000 while focusing on protein. Not eating back excercise but drinking some of it back (I like red wine). Have bought dumbells and bands and will start some strength work this weekend (sorry but not going to a gym at this point).
    I know this can't last at this rate, but is it too much for now? All I read is 1-2 pounds per week, or more if you are obese. Just not what that "more" is.
    I think I've opened my diary if you want to look.
    Thanks.

As you are obese, your rate of loss is fine. Keep going!
  • Zigzikowitz
    Zigzikowitz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I may add some to this! The question people seem to ask the most is what 5 things helped you get to this point and you said #2 about how eating clean is meaningless and I couldn't agree with you more. This is ultimately my #1 rule. The only way I knew this would work is if I was able to eat the foods I loved the most. Obviously not as much as and maybe not as tasty as the versions I would normally eat. But I eat ice cream and other snacks and treats everyday. Sometimes 2 to 3 snacks a night. However they are a low calorie version and way smaller portion. But I get my satisfaction out of them. And I always close my day out with many calories to spare. It will only work if your happy. So find a way to make what you want fit and you'll succeed. But be very strict on portion and maintains your calorie goals. I've lost 27lbs in 70 days and couldn't be happier!
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    @Zigzikowitz-I completely agree with you on that ! I do "if it fit your macros" and that's basically what you are doing also. Good to hear I'm not the only one who feels and thinks this way
  • alwinter09
    alwinter09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am obviously most worried about a lifestyle change more than a specific # on the scale, however I want to lose around 70 pounds. I am saving up right now for a good food scale and HRM. My biggest worry is that I'll be left with a lot of loose skin. It looks like you don't have loose skin yourself, so what would you advise to help avoid that? Thanks, and you look great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!